December 21, 2014 | 1279 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Mia

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2009 7:47:00 PM More reviews by PinkFix

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was so excited to purchase the Mia during the Sephora friends and family sale this year. I've always wanted a Clarisonic and thought the sale would be a perfect time to invest in one. I've been using it now for about 2 months and waited to review it. I'm really upset to say that I'm not that happy with it. Before I go any further, let me say this gadget IS a great little wonder. It is easy and convenient to use and most importantly it DOES clean my skin very well. However, maybe my expectations were too high but the Mia has not been a miracle worker. If anything, it's made keeping up with my skin more difficult. The first week or so, I was floored by how baby soft the Mia made my skin feel. I thought, wow... if this keeps up... this will be life-changing. Starting the second week I began to break out. This kept up for about another week and I chalked it up to the whole "purging" excuse. The break outs died down but then right before my first period while using the Mia, I broke out like I've never broken out before. We're talking deep cystic pimples. I get a pimple or two around my time of the month, but never like this. One of the spots was so bad that I was actually wearing Neosporin because it turned into an open wound! Once the break-out died down, it left scarring. I can easily count about 5 scars on my face from my last period - and my face still isn't completely clear. Since then I've switched to the sensitive brush head to see if that would help. I normally do not have sensitive skin but I thought maybe that could be the problem, but I've seen no real change. Now I'm about to hit that time of the month again and I'm just waiting to see what's going to happen. I'm wondering if I'm still going through the whole "purge" or if the Mia really isn't for me. Also, I've never felt my skin as smooth as it was after the first few days I started using the Mia. I don't get that crazy amazing smooth feel anymore. The only thing it has really helped with has been the blackheads on my nose - they have pretty much disappeared. Other than that, my skin wasn't visibly better because I started using the Mia. I know it's cleaning my skin because when I use a toner, there's pretty much no dirt (whereas before I used the Mia my toner would pick up so much crap)... so... I don't know. I want to love it but it's literally scarring me right now. I think I'm going to give it another month and see what the final verdict is. I might change the cleanser I'm using with it as well. Right now I'm using Ole Henriksen African Red Tea Foaming Cleanser per a Sephora employee who recommended it to use with a Clarisonic. I'll try to remember to come back and update once another month passes.

**UPDATE** It's that time of the month and my face is horribly broken out again. Two cystic spots in addition to 2 other break out areas. Ditched the Ole Henricksen and switched to a Neutrogena foaming cleaner to match my regular cleanser. Will try this combo for a week or so and see how it goes. Might do what the person above me did and also invest in a delicate brush head after already trying the normal and sensitive with no luck. I don't want to give up on the Mia!

**UPDATE 2** So, I switched cleansers like I said and while I think it's working a little better, I got another cystic pimple on my chin 2 days ago and it's no where near my time of the month yet. I miss my clear skin! I'm so over this. I'm switching to just using my Clarisonic on my nose and maybe take it to the rest of my face only once a week. :( I'll see how that goes. continued >>

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2009 8:07:00 PM More reviews by dmchee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love my Clarisonic Mia! I actually look forward to washing my face. I've never tried the cleanser that came with it; I prefer to stick to my usual cleanser (Acne Free purifying cleanser). I use this for 2 minutes twice a day and it doesn't irritate my skin (attached is the sensitive brush). First I wet my skin, then I massage some cleanser into all parts of my face. Then circle around for 1 minute with the brush. Then for an additional minute (push the button again) add water while using the brush to wash off the cleanser at the same time. My skin feels smoother after every use. I no longer get those dry flakes when I spread foundation. I have very acne-prone skin and did not experience the "purging" phenomenon. I always get those large, painful cystic pimples right before my period, but this month I only got 2 very small red bumps that went away in half a day (I kid you not!!). My pores look more shallow (less defined). This is definately a good investment and I never forget or intentionally leave out my Clarisonic in my morning or nighttime regiment. For reference, I have really oily, acne-prone skin; and while this had no affect on the oiliness, I'd say, for now (using this for 3 weeks only), that the twice-daily exfoliation from Clarisonic has improved my acne situation. Should also point out that the brush bristles are non-porous and resistant to bacteria so you don't have to worry about the brush contaminating your skin. Get this now.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2009 6:22:00 AM More reviews by angelofmusic246

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I love this! I waited almost a year to buy it and I don't regret it at all. It makes my face so soft and clean. I have oily skin and sometimes (I know it's bad but it happens) I'd forget to wash my face, the next day I'd be a grease ball. That's not the case anymore after using the Clarisonic! It definitely has been managing the oils on my skin.

I preferred getting the Mia over the regular Clarisonic because it's smaller, does the same job, and is super cute! It's about the length of my hand (~7 inches) and is definitely travel friendly. Even though it's pretty pricey (in my opinion), think of it as an investment. It is supposed to last you for years and if you use it every day (I use it 1-2 times) it pays for itself.

Awesome product!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2009 11:35:00 PM More reviews by glossyxlipz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

This thing has been a life saver for me. As much as I tried, I never got my face to feel as clean as I do with the Mia. Its great to travel with and I love how it makes my face feel like I just came from the spa.

I know its not for everyone, but it has definitely made a difference for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/26/2009 12:51:00 PM More reviews by MCNALS

I have very sensitive skin (i am using tazorac and mama lotion alternatively) and was very worried that the clarisonic would wreak havoc on my skin. it hasn't yet (thank goodness). but i have only been using it for a week. I have been using it with very delicate cleansers, and I am so happy with the results. My skin is so soft and it looks very fresh. It def helps products absorb better. The best surprise is that it does not leave my skin red and raw, like all exfoliators have. it also has not irritated my skin and broken me out. love it!

****UPDATE****
I am very upset because I am now going through a horrible break out. Unfortunately the Mia irritated my skin so much that I have red bumps (not really like pimples) all around my chin and mouth, needless to say it looks horrible......I think that the mia is a great product, just not for me. My skin is so sensitive and I guess the only way to manage it is to baby it. HOWEVER, I am going to continue to use the mia for 1 more week just to see it it gets better or worse, and ill update. Fingers Crossed!

***UPDATE 2***
I am very sad that this product did not work for me. My skin was looking great for a straight 3 weeks and I was using a simple routine that was obviously effective, and my skin was just happy. Well I decided to bust out the mia and I used it in the shower and my face looks awful. Tiny red bumps that are not zits, just an overall unhappy face...like an allergic reaction. Since I know the mia doesn't work for my face, I am going to start to use it on my feet. just kidding..maybe.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/25/2009 3:01:00 AM More reviews by Junkotti

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love Clarisonic!!! I have been using it for 2 weeks now and already see the difference. I use two toners, two special cares, and cream at night, but these are somoothly absorbed. I have oily skin so my pores are pretty large...but after using Clarisonic I see my pores have become little smaller. Also, my skin become much softer, smoother, cleaner, and less oily. Moreover, my foundation is set very nicely. It took me for a while to buy this because it is very expensive for me. However, I have no regreats at all. Now I can't live without this! I totally recommend.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/24/2009 6:04:00 AM More reviews by i2ismartazzi2i

I love this thing! I really feel so clean after using it. I feel that it helps my cleanser really penetrate my skin so much better which in turn would make my cleanser work better. Compared to other products that I have used like the microderbrasen one (sorry I can't spell), and the neutrogena wave, this is by far the best. I love how the brush head spins and exfoiliate my skin so well. I will continue to use it. Plus my skin feels so smooth after using this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/23/2009 11:30:00 PM More reviews by mkdallas

Add me to the growing list of Mia's fans. Bought this courtesy of the Sephora F & F discount and although I've only been using it a week, I'm very pleased that I spent the money. I have pretty good skin for someone who's 51; not much sun damage, combination skin,minimal wrinkles and a few larger pores on my nose, which I hate. Since so many of the glowing reviews for this device come from people who have troubled skin, I didn't know if I would really reap the benefits from an expensive product like this. I have spent a LOT of $$ on premium skincare, with just "okay" results. The Mia does a great job at exfoliating; your face will feel smooth as a baby's behind after you use it. I did experience the minor breakouts that quite a few others have posted about...had 2 medium-sized zits after 2 Mia uses, but I left them alone and they've faded away. I use Bliss cleansing mild and I do at least take a washcloth to my face before I use the Mia; although the instructions don't tell you to do that, it only made sense to me. My face is starting to look very fresh and supple; so glad I went ahead and purchsed.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2009 4:30:00 PM More reviews by klow9

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

After one week of using the Clarisonic Mia I have learned one huge lesson: It's all about the skin. Seriously, after three days of using this magic device almost any foundation looks great. Now after a week, my skin is beginning to have the clarity I've been seeking for years with scrubs and facials. It's like a mini-microdermabrasion treatment every day. I agree with one poster below who mentioned the lack of instructions in the box. They really do not specify whether to take off your makeup or not. For the record, I remove my makeup with an oil cleanser (DHC). Then I use the cleanser that came with the Mia. I use it once, at night. I could not be more pleased. Best beauty purchase in many years.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 11/22/2009 10:55:00 AM More reviews by carray10

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I do not like the Clarisonic brush. I have normal to good skin, my only complaint being occasional dullness and dark circles under eyes, which the Clarisonic cannot fix. I think it's a waste of money if your skin is good. The best reviews this product gets are from people with problem skin - and that's great for them. However, it's no miracle worker on good skin, which is what I was hoping for. I was hoping for a real glow, and it didn't deliver that. I also have to wonder - the instructions don't say to remove your makeup before using the brush. Are you supposed to? It seems to me that if you don't remove your makeup, you're just pushing makeup, along with cleanser and water, deeper into your pores. I say if you're fairly happy with your skin, save your money, time and resources - a washcloth or scrub will get you at least as much glow and cost a lot less.

6 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No