NARS Sheer Glow Foundation

3.7

Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethylhexanoin, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Bis-butyldimethicone Hectorite, Sodium Glutamate, Sorbitan Sesquiisostearate, 1-Methyl-Hydantoin-2-imide, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Polysilicone-2, Serralysin, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Glucosyl Hesperidin, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Tocopherol, [may contain: titanium dioxide, iron oxides, iron oxides]

on 1/6/2011 11:35:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This is HG for me! I love this foundation. Its extremely sheer but that works for me. I have a small bit of darkness under my eyes but this sheer foundation fixes it. I haven't used it with a concealer, but I may try. I love the dewy finish and the soft natural look it gives me. Its worth the price. We are military so when ever my hubby deploys to a base that has NARS, he picks this up for me. Its 35 bucks on base. My skin matches perfect with Trinidad.

on 1/6/2011 9:33:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This is such an OVER SUPER DUPER OVERHYPED product.
I don't reccomend this for ANY skin type, this is such an awful foundation.

My skin in the summer: Oily t zone.

Texture: smoth and creamy, nothing wrong about it.

Finish: Dry, matte, nothing "sheer" about it. Accentuates EVERY LITTLE DRY spot, that maybe you didnt even know you had. PS: If you have any dryness around your nose FORGET ABOUT IT, you CAN'T use this then...

Coverage: medium

Lasting power: 12 hours!!!!!!!!!!!

Why Am I disappointed??? Because Nars makes such good products, and for the price, this HAD TO BE AMAZING. Also I had to buy a pump! So this foundation actually costs $48.00 (42+6 pump) plus shipping! If this cost something around $13 dollars I would say "yes, it's an ok foundation". But no, I'm sure there are drugstore foundations that have much better quality than this.

Ugh. I hate the price on this. It's absolutely freaking ridiculous. But I asked for this as a Christmas present, so I was lucky enough to use it my first time without spending any money. Another thing that is crappy is that you have to buy the pump for it separately... once again, I was lucky enough to receive THAT as a gift.

Putting all that aside, I really love the effect when applied with a stippling/highlighter brush. I haven't used any other application techniques, besides doing a few touchups with my fingers. It blends like a dream, and the shade is perfect for me (in Siberia - yep, I'm a ghost).

Sigh. I'll probably suck it up and buy it again when the time comes...

on 12/30/2010 11:20:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I love this foundation for special occasions, it leave such a beautiful finish and looks like normal skin, never cakey and doesn't make me look oily either. I love it!

on 12/30/2010 9:12:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

edit: June 2012
OK this is HG now, only foundation I have ever bought 3 times, stays on great with NAC P&P Spf 50 & P&P Powder. Also the only non-pro foundation that comes in yellow/ olive tones for me.
Fantabulous!

I have been using this for about a year and I am about 60 - 70% through the bottle. I don't use it everyday, about 4 times a week.

This foundation has the best finish of all of the foundations I have tried both high and low end. There's no apparent shimmer, but the finish is very soft focused, glowy and mimics the look of real skin. I gave it a 4 because of the no-pimp issue and it doesn't wear as long as I would like it. But I have industrial strength oily skin and most foundations do not wear well after 4 or 5 hours. This lasts about 5 hours depending on whether or not I have primer on, then it lasts a bit longer.

What is great about this foundation first of all that is so lacking in other lines is the amazing color selection. I have very strong olive/ yellow undertones with my neck being almost 2 shades darker than my pinkier face. I wear this is Stromboli, I am currently about NC30 - 35/ C30 - 35. But I have worn this when I was more NC42 and it still looked natural. Even though this is medium coverage you get some leeway with the shades. When I was paler I did try Punjab which was a bit too peachy, but still worked from when I was NC 25-35.

I tried applying this in all of the possible methods and I prefer it with either a buffing brush or a flat foundation brush that is a filbert shape. You can layer this, but I have never gotten more than a medium coverage out of this one.

I don't think this makes me oilier, but it is a foundation more for normal, slightly combo to dry skins I think. If you want a foundation with beautiful texture, great yellow toned color selection and a candle-lit finish you should try this.

I love NARS, but they need to put a pump on this. I did buy this in GOBI which is very pale on ebay and it has a pump because it is a tester! I use it to adjust the color of my other foundations.

on 12/28/2010 3:06:00 AM

One of my favorite foundations ever! It took me so long to purchase this because it was so expensive but what the heck. I heard so many great reviews and decided to try it. I have it in Stromboli. It is a bit light on me but its good for winter time since my tan is fading away. I do have oily skin and later on in the day it tends to get oily around my nose area. Other than that it looks flawless. Im going to try the MATTE next.

on 12/25/2010 3:26:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I'm not a liquid foundation person as I'm more of a mineral makeup person. I prefer quick application. But I'm open to try new things. I've seen the hype all over the reviews board on this foundation so I decided to buy and try it myself. I have combination dry skin where I do get flaky skin sometimes. I was matched to Barcelona which actually is the perfect match for my skintone. I think the Barcelona matched me much better than the MUFE HD foundation in #55 where I find the MUFE #55 have a slight orange tone to it. I actually like this foundation more than my MUFE as this feels more natural and the texture is a lot easier to work with than the MUFE. In terms of coverage, it does even out my skintone but it doesn't cover up my acne scarring but even though my acne scarring still shows through(I have a lot of acne scarring on my cheeks and my chin), it doesn't bother me at all as I can always use a good concealer but usually I just leave it as it is then set it with powder. For application, I just actually use my fingers. In general I think I have found my HG liquid foundation.

on 12/24/2010 3:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Initially, I was in love with this foundation. I bought it due to the hype and it deserves the hype in my opinion. It is very thin and looks COMPLETELY natural! The price is ridiculously high and the fact that you have to pay more for the pump is weird, but oh well. This looks more natural than MUFE HD but does not cover as well. The shades are geared towards yellow undertones, so beware if you are pink toned and want to try this foundation. My shade is in Barcelona, which is a tad dark. I don't know if I use more of this foundation than the MUFE HD because this doesn't have a pump! The cap is annoying because the rubber cap thing can be taken off and theres another cap underneath, so the rubber cap just keeps turning and feels as if I never close it tight. All in all, amazing foundation, but expensive.

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I got color matched for this at my local Sephora in JCP (about 40 min away!). I didn't even think they carried Nars. Super excited they do. I got to play with the blushes! Yay. The very helpful and friendly MUA was amazing. She color matched me and gave me two generous sized samples of this foundation in Barcelona and Syracuse. Barcelona seems to be the perfect match. I like the way this looks and feels on my dry cheeks. However, this seems like it needs to either be used with a primer or set with something. I don't see it lasting all day.

Downside- It needs to be sold with a pump for the price!! This bottle is similar to the one I have for my Loreal foundation. I'd expect better from Nars.

Overall, I like this product. I'd love to find it on sale.

Edit: Wore this today for Christmas dinner. Surprisingly, this lasted all day. Covers really well. My only issue is the Barcelona seemed to match really well, but when i was photographed with it all, it looks a bit light for me. However, Syracuse was a tad dark. Maybe I can just mix them both or go back to Sephora to get color matched again. I like this alot, I just hate the price tag.
I've been using this since I got the samples, and I must say that surprisingly my complexion has improved since I've used this.

Edit: The barcelona is a bit too warm and peach toned for my skin. *sigh* the Beauty Consultant from Sephora whom I spoke with today said that the Nars foundation shades don't have a neutral medium shade, which is what what I need and recommended I try Stila Illuminating or MUFE HD foundation for a better color match. I do love this formula though.

*edit: this is the only foundation i've tried that photographs so amazingly! i don't get a white cast as I go with other foundations. i love how this photographs. looks natural. i do like this, but honestly...the foundation itself is not worth $42! the bottle it comes in is a pain. you shouldn't have to pay for a pump, you're paying enough for the foundation itself! this is truly a really nice foundation. i like it a lot, but it's overpriced just because it has the NARS name on it. i'll use this definitely, but i won't be repurchasing.

Edit: 1/16/14
I got some samples of this in Syracuse after not using this in years. Barcelona works too, but I like to with the darker shade to overall warm my face up and Match my neck. Looks and feels so natural and photographs beautifully. I also love the Pure Radiant tinted moisturizer. I will purchase in the future. Only downside to me is the bottle with no pump and the cost.

on 12/20/2010 9:14:00 AM

I was told by many friends that this was one of the best foundations around. I purchased it to regretfully find out that they were wrong. I'm not sure if it is because of my skin texture but it just looks so cakey and unnatural on my skin. It blends terribly and I now use it as a concealer as it is way too heavy to use as a foundation without mixing it with something less heavy. I have found that you must warm the product with your fingers before application to break down the product, but even so i still do not like this foundation. It is definitely the most expensive foundation I have ever bought and the packaging is extremely wasteful as it doesn't come with a pump and ends up all over the place. I will definitely not recommend of purchase this product again unless you are after extremely heavy and full coverage.