December 22, 2014 | 1698 users online

Palettes - Urban Decay - NAKED

RELATED PRODUCTS

NAKED2: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=148781/NAKED2-/Urban-Decay/Palettes

NAKED3: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=167248/NAKED-3/Urban-Decay/Palettes

rated 4 of 5 on 10/31/2011 4:03:00 PM More reviews by Crimsonbury

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I asked for the naked palette for my birthday and was put on a waiting list and I only received it from sephora just over a week ago. It was a gift from my mother, and as it is expensive I don't think I would have bought it with my own money as I am a university student with a part time job. But when this runs out I think I'll have to fork over the money to get a new one!

I really love this palette. I've never had an eyeshadow palette before, I only have maybe 7-8 single shadows (only use like 4 of them) and this palette really gives me so many more looks! I already had sin, that was my everyday go to shadow for a few years a while ago. The other colours are great as well! I use this palette everyday and put a mix of virgin and sin on my lids for an everyday look, and I love to play around with the darker and shimmery shadows for night. And they are all very good quality! Give good pigmentation and last a while.

I'm also impressed with the package they come in. For some reason I was expecting it to be much bigger and bulkier (I had never seen the actual palette in sephora because it was always sold out!), but I love how compact and pretty it is. I can easily fit this in my purse (even a small purse might hold it) if I'm going out and need to do my makeup on the go or something. It's great that there is a little space to put a brush.

The reason I'm giving it a rating of 4 instead of 5, is not because of the eyeshadows themselves, but the brush and the primer potion they come with! The brush is just crappy. I didn;t read any reviews where anyone mentioned the brush, but for me it just does not work. It's to slippery and synthetic, it doesn't pick up the shadow and doesn't deposit it on my lids like a it should. Won't be using that brush ever.
Now for the primer potion...I already had a full size primer potion from UD which was awesome, love it. It makes my makeup last for hours and hours. But this little sample sized primer is not great. It's liquidly compared to my bigger primer, it doesn't feel as creamy and thick as it should. I've also noticed that my eyeshadow starts to crease sooner with the sample primer. I'll use this one for everyday, but when I need my shadow to last the whole day and night, I won't use the sample primer, it just doesn't cut it like the big sized primer does. It's like UD is cheaping out when the sample sizes.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2011 8:43:00 AM More reviews by Marybeth818

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am writing because I am 45 and cool-toned, so I wasn't sure whether to buy this,like a lot of other people who are older and/or cool-toned. I kept the receipt just in case I didn't end up liking it, but I did. There are plenty of colors that work, it doesn't really accentuate wrinkles, and people are right to note that the quality is very high, and that the price is good for so many usable ones plus a brush and UDPP. So I say go for it.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2011 5:27:00 AM More reviews by Tali7

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I bought this back in January (I had been looking for it for months and nearly had a heart attack when I finally found it in debenhams! My SO had to tell me to take my hands away from my mouth lol).

Since January, I can probably count the number of times I have used any other shadow other than my Naked palette. Seriously. I wear it all the time, both for work and my spare time. I have had zero problem with fallout with any of the shadows, and they always stay put until it's time for me to remove my m/u. I'd always used MAC shadows before I bought this, and was shocked to find that UD eye products are so much better! They never crease or even budge an inch (whether that's thanks to the primer potion or just the eye shadows I don't know). And the pencils are also excellent, and last all day, even on my waterline!!

Overall this is great value for money, will last me years, are the best shadows I have ever used, and I, anyway, think they're suitable for work as well as play!

I love it so much I'm buying one for my sister for Xmas!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2011 10:16:00 AM More reviews by Zabby

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Overall I think this palette is a great value for money purchase. As many have said, the amount of full eyeshadows you get for the price is generous. And the quality is amazing - so easy to blend, never chalky.
I do wish there were more matte shadows in it, especially for a palette called Naked. This is my go-to palette for work and other times when I want a made up but very neutral toned down look. Glitter and sparkles aren't what Im looking for.
One day I made the mistake of wearing Sidecar to work, applying it sparingly just to give my lids a little gold. I wont be making that mistake again. When I looked in the mirror after a few hours, my cheeks were covered in glitter. Covered. I just wanted to go home. And since I wear foundation, just wiping them off wasnt an option. And I did wear a primer that works for me. So now I hate that shade!
The others have treated me very well though, and I have used them all in my makeup rotation, so overall great purchase!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2011 2:20:00 AM More reviews by blueingreen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

The Naked Palette is a nice assortment of pretty neutrals. I would summarize the colors as follows:

Virgin is very frosty off-white
Sin is frosty slightly pink light beige
Naked is matte neutral light taupe brown
Sidecar is frosty sandy light brown with a lot of silvery glitter
Buck is matte warm medium brown
Half Baked is metallic very non-yellow gold
Smog is frosty bronzed medium brown
Darkhorse is satiny dark brown
Toasted is frosty medium bronzed copper (lighter and more pink than Smog to my eye)
Hustle is satiny cool, purplish medium-dark brown
Creep is satiny black with silver/white shimmer
Gunmetal is cool, frosty medium-dark gray with white/silver glitter

It also comes with a mini Primer Potion in the original sheer light color and either an UD shadow brush or a dual ended liner with Zero (flat, deep black) and Whiskey (warm brown). The primer, liner(s), and brush are all excellent. I particularly like the brush, which is especially great for building up less pigmented shadows. As far as the shadows in the pallet go, I think they are all good to great quality. Honestly, I even like the glitter, though I find all the frost excessive in terms of creating a perfectly well-rounded pallet. Even so, it is incredibly useful for creating practically infinite brown eyeshadow looks. I think it is particularly well suited for creating the warm bronzey style of smoky eye Victoria's Secret models and men's magazine babes always seem to be wearing.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/25/2011 9:02:00 AM More reviews by sarahalthea

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Pro-
1. Amount of colors compared to price
2. Brush
3. Packaging

Con-
1. Inconsistency in quality. Some shades stay put, others have a god-awful fallout mess. Even with primer.
2. Variety of colors. For neutral colors, they only have 2 matte shades that are appropriate for day wear. And they are boring.
3. Even the pale colors pull too much pink for them to be a "natural look".
4. Too.much.sparkle.for.work.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/23/2011 8:43:00 PM More reviews by rabumentos

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

The good:
- All of the shadows have beautiful texture and are very pigmented. They're smooth to the touch and blend easily without losing too much of their pigmentation.
- There's a nice variety of shimmery and matte shadows.
- The packaging is nice, though prone to getting dirty very easily.

The bad:
- I would have liked to have gotten a palette with the double-ended eyeliner, but alas, I was a little late to jump on the Naked train. Oh, well.
- The color "Sidecar" has a ridiculous amount of fallout.

This was my first experience with Urban Decay's shadows, and man, am I glad that this was my first. I love having a palette that I can use every day not just for subtle looks, but glamorous ones as well. My single favorite color out of the entire palette is Half Baked. This gorgeous golden color is universally flattering, and I always get complimented on how pretty my eyes look when I wear this color. I'm sad to say that I'm not a huge fan of Sidecar, which is unfortunate, since it's a really good color for my skin tone, but I can't put it on while I'm rushing in the morning because the chunkier glitter results in a lot of fallout. That isn't to say that I've never worn it, but if I do wear it, I have to do some planning in advance so that I can manage the fallout. If it weren't for Sidecar's fallout, this would be a perfect palette to me. You've made me a believer in your eyeshadows, Urban Decay. I've got some high hopes for you.

The bottom line: This palette is flattering on so many skin tones and so versatile in terms of what kind of looks you can create with the palette alone. It's well worth the splurge.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2011 5:07:00 PM More reviews by mymelody87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

IMPORTANT UPDATE PLEASE READ (10-23-2011) : I loved the colors of the palette but wound up having to make an exchange on it. I began to notice over time that the shadows in mine were not what I had expected; they crumbled, and clumped up in the pan, and had to be scraped off with the brush. Then I heard on line that my palette had most likely been produced during the "rush" period of production when the company was struggling to keep up with demand, and other consumers were noticing the poor quality their Naked Palettes as well at that time. (This lapse in quality is estimated to have occurred roughly 3 months after the palette was modified to include the Karma brush instead of the eyeliner pencil of the original palette.) So after 2 weeks I took it back and exchanged it for a new one. MY NEW PALETTE IS INFINITELY BETTER. So, from what I have heard, if you purchased your Naked Palette around the end of summer, as I did, it is possible you were victim of lousy QC as well, and that may be the reason you dislike the quality of the shadows. Now that I have gotten a better replacement, I love my purchase, but for the hassle of having to return it, plus the damage this has done to my trust in Urban Decay as a quality-focused company has caused me to take away another star from my original 4-star rating. Urban Decay's shadows are commonly recognized as top of the line and should not give you any trouble, otherwise something's not right. So if you think something may be wrong with your eyeshadows, take them back and get another. Especially if you purchased yours at Ulta; the SAs there have heard this complaint before, understand, and will gladly make the exchange. :) And if they give you trouble, and this palette is not that important to you, I say make a full return. For $48 of hard-earned cash in the middle of a recession I believe it is your right/obligation as a consumer to draw the line and let companies feel your dissatisfaction where it hurts them the most - their wallets.

My original review from 9-26-2011 follows...

Well, I finally caved and bought the Naked Palette. (If you check some of my other reviews you'll see that I tried several other cheaper products first with limited success before just giving in and succumbing to the hype.) I've spent the last two days playing with it nonstop in my free time. (No lie, lol.) And so far so good. Some people have called the colors boring, and I'm tempted to agree with them. The colors are boring. But that's not the point. The point is that with these shades you are able to create a perfect "no makeup" look with ease, as well as some soft looks for everyday use. Pale as I am, none of the colors looks too dark or ridiculous on me, including the two darkest, gunmetal and creep. When blended properly and used in a stylish manner, everything just looks nice, soft, and beautiful. And the options for looks of this type (I believe it's called "your eyes but better") are really limitless with so many shades to choose from. So I'm happy with my purchase. I answered "yes" to would I buy this product again, not because I will be buying it again, as there's a lot in it and I'll probably never really run out of most of the colors, but to keep the ratings consistent.

Some cons: the Karma brush is okay but far from multi-purpose. I use the Ecotools 6 piece eye shadow brush set to apply the shadows and that works infinitely better. In fact, when I first tried out the palette I used the included brush rather than my own Ecotools brushes and thought the shadows didn't look good at all. So the Karma brush is useless for me. I would put a dark brown automatic eyeliner pencil in there instead.

Also, use the primer potion. Without it I find some of the colors are too light to show. WIth the primer, however, the colors are just right and stay put, while still blending beautifully. The primer's a real necessity here, especially if you're using the lighter shades. I'm probably going to buy a full size primer eventually, since the little sample tube is so small and hard to dispense product from. I thoroughly hate the "doe foot" applicator and wish they had included the tube version instead.

Bottom line: I recommend this, for all skin types and all ages. It's perfect for that subtle, beautiful, daily look everyone wants so badly to achieve. Before writing it off, try it the way it ought to be used - with eyeliner, primer, and proper shading brushes. Don't just stand there like me and stick your finger in the pot and touch it to your eye at the store and see if you like it, because that really won't give you any kind of idea what you're really getting.

Best of luck! I hope more people post pictures of their creations with this palette. I've tried all the obvious combinations at this point and now I'm on the lookout for new "recipes".

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 10/23/2011 3:55:00 PM More reviews by ColdPlasma

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I hated this so much, I actually took time out of my mad work schedule to return it to Sephora.

Pros:

- The appeal of twelve eyeshadows, a brush, and a primer for $48 can be quite enticing.
- Urban Decay is cruelty free.
- The brush was great.

Cons:

- These colors are a joke. Just because they're neutral doesn't mean there can't be more variety. Bobbi Brown, Laura Mercier, Chanel, Dior, and MAC can give you eyeshadow palettes and quads with greater diversity. You don't get as many individual colors, but you still get more distinct colors that don't all blend together.
- The quality of these eyeshadows is inconsistent. Some had nice staying power, and others were subject to smudging, poor application ability, or muddy looking pigmentation.
- The fall-out is ridiculous, unless you're at the club and want glitter-streaked cheekbones.
- The primer potion leaves much to be desired. Try Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer instead.
- The velvet case is cheap and just screams 'Get me dirty and dingy and cracked, por favor!'

Why this palette has attained a cult following is a mystery to me. Again, I believe the amount of shadows for the price is a big draw, as well as Urban Decay's brilliant marketing scheme. I also think that for girls in their teens and early twenties, Urban Decay is a trendy, cool brand to shop from that isn't MAC, Clinique, Benefit, and the like; it's slightly less mainstream, but still well-known and well-respected. But I do not feel the quality of what you receive in exchange for $48 + tax is worth all of this insanity. If you're happy with it, good for you. But for me, I'm disappointed and unimpressed.

26 out of 29 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2011 12:14:00 PM More reviews by AnnieBull

I love this. I love love love love this. All the shadows are buttery and smooth, and beautifully pigmented. There is a selection of matte, satin and shimmer textures. I love the range of eyeshadows, and the amount of different looks that can be created with it. I love the brush that comes with it, as it applies the eyeshadows beautifully, and is also great for applying concealer and foundaion in hard to get areas. I love the primer potin that comes with it, as it makes the shadows even more intense than they already are. some people have complained that the gold foil writing on the outside rubs off, but I personally like this and I think that it was designed to be like that on purpose, as when it's rubbed off it creates a pretty rustic effect, think slightly wild west style, which to me better reflects urban decay as a brand. This is also great value for money as it cost a significant amount less than if you bought the products individually. Overall this is a wonderful product that I would highly reccomend. my favourite shades in this palette are: Virgin, Naked, Half Baked, Smog, Darkhorse and Toasted.