November 24, 2014 | 990 users online

Palettes - Urban Decay - NAKED

RELATED PRODUCTS

NAKED2: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=148781/NAKED2-/Urban-Decay/Palettes

NAKED3: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=167248/NAKED-3/Urban-Decay/Palettes

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2011 5:07:00 PM More reviews by mymelody87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

IMPORTANT UPDATE PLEASE READ (10-23-2011) : I loved the colors of the palette but wound up having to make an exchange on it. I began to notice over time that the shadows in mine were not what I had expected; they crumbled, and clumped up in the pan, and had to be scraped off with the brush. Then I heard on line that my palette had most likely been produced during the "rush" period of production when the company was struggling to keep up with demand, and other consumers were noticing the poor quality their Naked Palettes as well at that time. (This lapse in quality is estimated to have occurred roughly 3 months after the palette was modified to include the Karma brush instead of the eyeliner pencil of the original palette.) So after 2 weeks I took it back and exchanged it for a new one. MY NEW PALETTE IS INFINITELY BETTER. So, from what I have heard, if you purchased your Naked Palette around the end of summer, as I did, it is possible you were victim of lousy QC as well, and that may be the reason you dislike the quality of the shadows. Now that I have gotten a better replacement, I love my purchase, but for the hassle of having to return it, plus the damage this has done to my trust in Urban Decay as a quality-focused company has caused me to take away another star from my original 4-star rating. Urban Decay's shadows are commonly recognized as top of the line and should not give you any trouble, otherwise something's not right. So if you think something may be wrong with your eyeshadows, take them back and get another. Especially if you purchased yours at Ulta; the SAs there have heard this complaint before, understand, and will gladly make the exchange. :) And if they give you trouble, and this palette is not that important to you, I say make a full return. For $48 of hard-earned cash in the middle of a recession I believe it is your right/obligation as a consumer to draw the line and let companies feel your dissatisfaction where it hurts them the most - their wallets.

My original review from 9-26-2011 follows...

Well, I finally caved and bought the Naked Palette. (If you check some of my other reviews you'll see that I tried several other cheaper products first with limited success before just giving in and succumbing to the hype.) I've spent the last two days playing with it nonstop in my free time. (No lie, lol.) And so far so good. Some people have called the colors boring, and I'm tempted to agree with them. The colors are boring. But that's not the point. The point is that with these shades you are able to create a perfect "no makeup" look with ease, as well as some soft looks for everyday use. Pale as I am, none of the colors looks too dark or ridiculous on me, including the two darkest, gunmetal and creep. When blended properly and used in a stylish manner, everything just looks nice, soft, and beautiful. And the options for looks of this type (I believe it's called "your eyes but better") are really limitless with so many shades to choose from. So I'm happy with my purchase. I answered "yes" to would I buy this product again, not because I will be buying it again, as there's a lot in it and I'll probably never really run out of most of the colors, but to keep the ratings consistent.

Some cons: the Karma brush is okay but far from multi-purpose. I use the Ecotools 6 piece eye shadow brush set to apply the shadows and that works infinitely better. In fact, when I first tried out the palette I used the included brush rather than my own Ecotools brushes and thought the shadows didn't look good at all. So the Karma brush is useless for me. I would put a dark brown automatic eyeliner pencil in there instead.

Also, use the primer potion. Without it I find some of the colors are too light to show. WIth the primer, however, the colors are just right and stay put, while still blending beautifully. The primer's a real necessity here, especially if you're using the lighter shades. I'm probably going to buy a full size primer eventually, since the little sample tube is so small and hard to dispense product from. I thoroughly hate the "doe foot" applicator and wish they had included the tube version instead.

Bottom line: I recommend this, for all skin types and all ages. It's perfect for that subtle, beautiful, daily look everyone wants so badly to achieve. Before writing it off, try it the way it ought to be used - with eyeliner, primer, and proper shading brushes. Don't just stand there like me and stick your finger in the pot and touch it to your eye at the store and see if you like it, because that really won't give you any kind of idea what you're really getting.

Best of luck! I hope more people post pictures of their creations with this palette. I've tried all the obvious combinations at this point and now I'm on the lookout for new "recipes".

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 10/23/2011 3:55:00 PM More reviews by ColdPlasma

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I hated this so much, I actually took time out of my mad work schedule to return it to Sephora.

Pros:

- The appeal of twelve eyeshadows, a brush, and a primer for $48 can be quite enticing.
- Urban Decay is cruelty free.
- The brush was great.

Cons:

- These colors are a joke. Just because they're neutral doesn't mean there can't be more variety. Bobbi Brown, Laura Mercier, Chanel, Dior, and MAC can give you eyeshadow palettes and quads with greater diversity. You don't get as many individual colors, but you still get more distinct colors that don't all blend together.
- The quality of these eyeshadows is inconsistent. Some had nice staying power, and others were subject to smudging, poor application ability, or muddy looking pigmentation.
- The fall-out is ridiculous, unless you're at the club and want glitter-streaked cheekbones.
- The primer potion leaves much to be desired. Try Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer instead.
- The velvet case is cheap and just screams 'Get me dirty and dingy and cracked, por favor!'

Why this palette has attained a cult following is a mystery to me. Again, I believe the amount of shadows for the price is a big draw, as well as Urban Decay's brilliant marketing scheme. I also think that for girls in their teens and early twenties, Urban Decay is a trendy, cool brand to shop from that isn't MAC, Clinique, Benefit, and the like; it's slightly less mainstream, but still well-known and well-respected. But I do not feel the quality of what you receive in exchange for $48 + tax is worth all of this insanity. If you're happy with it, good for you. But for me, I'm disappointed and unimpressed.

25 out of 28 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2011 12:14:00 PM More reviews by AnnieBull

I love this. I love love love love this. All the shadows are buttery and smooth, and beautifully pigmented. There is a selection of matte, satin and shimmer textures. I love the range of eyeshadows, and the amount of different looks that can be created with it. I love the brush that comes with it, as it applies the eyeshadows beautifully, and is also great for applying concealer and foundaion in hard to get areas. I love the primer potin that comes with it, as it makes the shadows even more intense than they already are. some people have complained that the gold foil writing on the outside rubs off, but I personally like this and I think that it was designed to be like that on purpose, as when it's rubbed off it creates a pretty rustic effect, think slightly wild west style, which to me better reflects urban decay as a brand. This is also great value for money as it cost a significant amount less than if you bought the products individually. Overall this is a wonderful product that I would highly reccomend. my favourite shades in this palette are: Virgin, Naked, Half Baked, Smog, Darkhorse and Toasted.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/20/2011 11:35:00 PM More reviews by delta_h52

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I LOVE this palette! This palette is so versatile! I use this everyday for a natural look and to glam it up for a night out. The shadows are easy to apply and long lasting. The hype for this palette is completely accurate. I really like the simple packaging. I got the palette with the brush, which I don't reach for that often. I would have much rather had the zero 24/7 liner that used to come with the palette.

What I don't like about it is the velvety cover (it collects dust easily) and the serious glitter fall out. I have to reapply foundation under my eyes when I'm finished my eyes.

The price is reasonable considering the shadows will last a long time and it comes with a mini UDPP & full sized e/s brush.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2011 12:29:00 AM More reviews by Janet72285

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This was my first Urban Decay purchase. It was also the purchase that got me hooked, lol. I was able to score one during the "naked pallette drought" this winter when everyone was out of them as they were on backorder and I was able to find a store that had 3 in stock. I felt so lucky! I love everything about this pallette. The color selection is perfect on my skin tone and brings out my hazel eyes beautifully. The feel of the shadows is pure butter. The pigmentation is wonderful and I love the shimmer. I would like to echo the reviewer before me in stating how happy I am that it is "shimmer" not "glitter" as I find glitter shadows pretty close to unwearable. I dont even mind the velveteen finish of the case as I think it is absolutely adorable. As for it getting dirty, maybe i'm a nut for doing it, but I have actually lint rolled it and guess what? It looks brand new again. I will def repurchase if I ever run out!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2011 10:31:00 PM More reviews by kasiecakes

I got this as a gift for my birthday :)
Overall, its a well made palette with pigmented, buttery soft shadows that blend with ease. There are two highlighting shades, one more subtle than the other; two matte shades in very neutral tones; the rest is a shimmery collage of neutrals with couple of pop outs. I truly enjoy toasted and hustle. I feel they compliment eachother so gorgeously. I don't like the glitter in sidecar. Its too much for me. If anything, I would have hoped for a few more mattes, because I LOVE mattes and the way they don't accentuate my flaws. But the shimmers are also very nice.

The packaging is absolutely gorgeous. It comes in a velvety chocolate brown case with a mini primer potion and an Urban Decay brush. I'm guessing I got an updated version from the gals with the double ended liners.

Overall, I would definitely fork out $50 for this palette again (if I ever run out!) because it is so worth the quality! I use this almost daily and I'm able to swap from day to night in a pinch, though traveling with this baby is a bit bulky.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2011 6:22:00 PM More reviews by kaitlyn87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

this palette is simply amazing. i am a drugstore makeup junkie but i think sometimes buying high end makeup is so worth it. i bought the nyx nude on nude palette hoping that it was a knock off for the naked palette that i have wanted for a year.. it was pretty good quality but i still had my eye on the naked palette. i finally gave in and ordered it. i am SOOO happy with this. i work in an office so i have to wear neutral eyeshadow looks everyday and i can create sooo many looks with this. there are a lot of shimmery shadows.. but i like that a lot. the quality of these eyeshadows are the best i have ever used (way better than mac). the color payoff is also better than mac. the eyeshadows are like butter. this is so worth the price and you also get an eyeshadow brush and UDPP which i always wanted to try. if you have ur eye on this i would recommend getting it..in my opinion it is a great investment for everyday use and travel!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2011 7:04:00 AM More reviews by dependsongrandpa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

One of the best palettes I've ever owned! I've always felt that browns can look a little drap and lifeless if not done properly but this palette makes it impossible to not find a combination of browns that suit your skin as well as look gorgeous! I woudl recommend this palette to anyone and everyone! It is a little expensive but you get a lot of product for the price, it seems like its going to last me a while and because there are so many colors, you can cut down on buy other eyeshadows in the same color family!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/17/2011 5:21:00 PM More reviews by koturek4

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am not a huge urban decay fan but after hearing all the hype over how amazing the naked pallete was I had to try it for myself. It was a little expensive but I love the brush that it came with and they added a little bottle of primer potion so I forgave the $50 price tag. I really hesitate using eyeshadows or anything that is super sparkly because it tends to make my skin look dirty if used incorrectly. But i absolutely love all the colors. My favorite (the ones that I use almost every day) are Virgin, Naked, Buck and Toasted. The others I find are better for a dramatic nighttime look so I don't really use them on a day-to-day basis. The colors stay on all day long and won't crease (even without primer!!!) but look more pigmented with a primer in my personal opinion. Definitely worth the price.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/16/2011 6:45:00 PM More reviews by jlev926

i received this palatte as a birthday present from an amazing friend for my 18th. AND IT HAS BEEN A GODSEND. i own a lot of eyeshadow, ranging from wet n wild to too faced natural eye palatte. neutrals are my thing. i wear champagnes, bronzes, browns, greys-- more than any other colors. this palatte is PERFECT for people like me.
here is my in depth review of each shadow:
virgin- this is a metallic/sheen finish light goldish cream colored eyeshadow. it applies very sheer and really adds lifts to your brows.
sin- this is a pink-toned champagne. this is also quite sheer. this is probably my least favorite color in the palatte, purely because i would love to use it as a lid color, but its far too sheer for me.
naked- this was such an unexpected love from me! i just recently fell in love with my velvet revolver eyeshadow in my TF NEP and this color is a lighter, warmer version. its a matte, deer-colored eyeshadow.
sidecar- this shadow is very shimmery. its a light golden taupe. its an amazing lid color. you may get some fallout, but nothing too crazy.
buck- this is another matte shadow. its definitely darker than naked. it works really beautifully in the crease.
half baked- shimmery gold shadow. standard. gorgeous.
smog- a BEAUTIFUL bronze color. this is my current favorite (its all over my lid currently)
darkhorse- even though smog is my favorite, darkhorse is definitely my most used. its a beautiful dark, satiny deep brown.
toasted- a pinky browny mauvey shadow. this is a gorgeous lid color.
hustle- this is a purple toned brown eyeshadow. its a beautiful crease color if youre a brown eyed girl.
creep- a shimmery black. its really gorgeous in the outer corner for a smoky eye.
gunmetal- a metallic shimmery dark silver.

the eyeshadow brush is synethetic. it works AMAZING for cream eyeshadows. i use it for my paintpots.

right now im wearing indianwood paintpot (applied with the brush). i layered smog over it, and then applied darkhorse in the crease and outer corner, with virgin as my highlight.

and i look damn good if i say so myself.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No