September 20, 2014 | 1194 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Glow Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2010 10:07:00 AM More reviews by beu2fool

I have been on the hunt for an HG foundation forever. Bobbi Brown used to be if for me, but lately it makes me an oil slick and MAC's Hyper Real makes me look like an Oscar(extremely gold and metallic). I discovered this on my hunt last week as I've been buying something, trying it, hating it and exchanging. For reference I'm NW15-25 and have oily/flaky skin...like that makes sense. The SA at Sephora matched me to Deauville after I'd asked about this because of these reviews. She told me that she too used this foundation. For me, this seems to be a dream. The color cancels out a lot of my "pink" without looking too yellow and the finish is a beautiful satin. I set this with my MUFE HD powder. I won't lie...I do have to blot at least once during the day as this can get a bit too dewy, but my skin is oily. I'm loving this and I hope that doesn't change any time soon. My only cons are the price is a bit steep at $42 USD and I wish it had a pump.

edit 11/1/2013
alas due to my changing skin, I can no longer use this. 30 minutes and you can fry an egg on me

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2010 10:59:00 PM More reviews by peacegirl22

For reference: My skin - super oily, acne prone. prefer med-full coverage foundation

I finally found my summer HG foundation. I've tried Revlon CS and PR, MAC Studio Fix Fluid, ELDW, MUFE Mat Velvet +, MUFE F&B, etc....and this is the best yet. I have a hard time finding foundations with enough yellow in it, but my shade (Stromboli) runs very yellow! I'm NC30-35 and it matches PERFECTLY. My other HG foundation ELDW feels a little too heavy in the summer, and does not look as natural as Nars SG. Sorry for the rant...heres what I found with my experience..

NARS Sheer Glow:
Pros:
-does not even look like you're wearing foundation, looks very natural
-feels sooo light, like you're not even wearing any!
-buildable coverage
-easy to apply (just warm between fingers, and apply and blend!)
-good staying power (lasts all day with minimal touch ups)
-was able to find a shade with strong yellow tones

Cons:
-price tag ($55 CAD).....but still worth it

If you're looking for a summer foundations that feels very light but still gives coverage, this is it! I have never had a foundation look SO natural. LOVE NARS Sheer Glow! :D

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2010 1:50:00 AM More reviews by Ravey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

UGH, i wanted to really like this, but i just couldn't. i'm sorry, nars. i wasn't into the formula (like, kind of watery? hard to blend in evenly and didn't cover much in the end, and i don't even have a lot to cover!) it feels really nice and silky, but i mean, thats why it is so annoying for me to work with. just a personal preference i guess. i prefer neutrogena healthy skin to this.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/3/2010 10:41:00 PM More reviews by kewlgal18

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Okay, a bit about me: I have pretty decent skin with minor imperfections. I mainly like to wear foundation to even out my skin tone. I find that many people with good skin still need foundation for that smooth, flawless look (at least, that is why I wear foundation). Normally I wear mineral makeup, but I am getting tired of it. It seems to wear off quickly, accentuate pores, etc. I used to wear BE, but then hated the 'shininess' of it. As of late I had been wearing Urban Decay mineral makeup.

Anyways, I heard a lot of great stuff about this foundation and noted that a lot of girls in my age range on YT love it. That is why I decided to buy it, even though it is overpriced. I do like this foundation a lot. I am an NC20 (neutral leaning cool), and I use this in Deuville, which is a good match. The others I tried on were too yellow for my skintone. I apply it with my fingers in dots and then blend. It blends in easily, and doesn't look obvious. I hate obvious looking foundation (one of the reasons I don't like Revlon Colorstay. I figure if you really need coverage, then more obvious foundation is worth it...but if not, I prefer my foundation to look natural). It has pretty decent staying power... not as good as say, EL Doublewear or Colorstay, but it goes on light and feels natural, so to me that is worth it. I feel it gives a slight sheen/'glow' to my face, but is not sheer like a tinted moisturizer. The coverage is medium. So, I would suggest that you at least try this foundation if you haven't already! Another benefit: I actually like that this foundation is SPF free. This means it looks great in photos, and it doesn't interfere with the stability avo-based sunscreen. I always wear sunscreen under this (letting it set for 10 min prior to application), and I have been setting with MUFE HD powder. I am glad I learned about this from MUA!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/3/2010 2:42:00 AM More reviews by mayastar

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

A little bit about my skin:
I have combination skin with an oily T-zone and dry patches on my cheeks every now and then.

A little about the packaging:
A sleek glass bottle with a lid that is made out of a rubbery plastic material. The lid seems to attract a lot of dirt. It doesn't come with a pump. I really dislike the packaging, simply because they weren't selling a pump when I bought mine. It is really messy. Not only that, you can't really control how much product comes out.

Shades:
I have this in Fiji. I am an NC25 when I am not tanned. It is a little more neutral and a tad lighter than NC25 but can be worn by both NC25s and NW25s.
They have a lot of shades, even though I do think that most of them have more yellow than pink undertones.

Here's what I think:

Sheer glow gives medium to buildable coverage and has a satin finish. It has a light feel to it and you can't actually feel that you have foundation on. As far as scents go, it hardly has a scent to it.
According to NARS, it is for people with normal to dry skin. I have normal skin with an oily T-zone with occasional dry spots, and I must say that within a few hours my T-Zone turns into an oil slick. I do need to use a blotting powder within 4 hours into wearing it. That being said, I also noticed that it accentuates any dry spots as well as fine lines that I may have.
By no means do I think this foundation makes my skin look flawless. However, I do like how it feels on my skin when my skin is almost flawless to begin with. I like this foundation for days that my skin is relatively normal (not too oily, not too dry). I do believe this foundation is best for normal skin types or oily (with loads of blotting). I usually apply this foundation with my hands and work it well into my skin, as it tends to be streaky when you don't blend it in well.
As far as the price goes, I do think this product is well overpriced.
More cons: The product does not photograph well and does not have an SPF.

Did I notice an improvement in my skin?

Will I repurchase?
I did choose yes, however it's more of a Maybe. I might give this foundation another try once I have used up my foundation collection.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/2/2010 12:17:00 PM More reviews by amonte89

with all the hype about this foundation, I was sooo excited to buy it. However, once I used it, I HATED it. Not only is this foundation not long lasting, it doesn't cover anything. I know it is supposed to be sheer, but this just doesn't do anything for me. After I bought it, I went back to my MAC studio fluid foundation. I think this would be a good foundation for someone just starting with liquid foundation. But, if you want to cover imperfections or have a flawless face, I don't reccommend this.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2010 12:24:00 AM More reviews by xjewelx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this foundation about a month ago because I heard amazing things about it. I can't even begin to say how much I love this product. The coverage is medium to full, I barely need concealer after I apply it. It doesn't look or feel heavy on your skin. A little bit goes a long way so in the end it is worth every penny. Make sure to check your skin in natural light only because I find that the colors can be a little deceiving in the bottle. I also wish it came with a pump but that is very minor. I will absolutely be buying this product again.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/29/2010 5:22:00 PM More reviews by UmNooh

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is great as it looks very light and natural on your skin when you use a small amount of the product, and honestly all you need is a very small to give yourself that even tone, clean look. The only problem I have noticed with this product is that if you have dry patches on your skin, or bumps that have dry areas near them, it will stick to the patch and emphasize it. Also I noticed that it cracks just a little bit on the area above my chin, in the crease between my lips and chin.

The way to make this product really work is to make sure that you moisturize very well, and regularly. I found this is what helps me get the best out of this product.

It feels so light on the skin which is great. I have read that the best way to apply this product is by using your fingers. I am honestly not a fan of applying foundation that way. I use my mac 187 stippling brush, a very small amout each time, and blend. This gives me a great finish. Maybe using your fingers works best when you want to apply a heavier coverage.

It also hasn't broken me out.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2010 5:01:00 AM More reviews by ilorietta

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Love this foundation. I just need the smallest amount to achieve a uniform look with a healthy complexion!
I am NC25 an di wear Deauville or Santa Fe.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/28/2010 10:46:00 PM More reviews by ari4356

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am always on the search for a new foundation. I was excited about the new Nars foundations and was first interested in the Sheer Matte due to my oily skin. I didn't like it and decided to try the Sheer Glow. I love it. It is so easy to blend, and the color selection is pretty good. My face does get a little oily by the end of the day and I do have to touch up once or twice, but the finish is so nice that it really doesn't bother me. I can't wait for fall/winter to see if it holds up better than during the summer.