January 29, 2015 | 2003 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 3 of 5 on 3/18/2008 1:58:00 AM More reviews by cincrisis

This product had some benefits for my skin. I found it helped clear up some old acne scars quicker than prior moisturizers I'd been using. However, I could only ever use it at night (never dared wear it under make-up) because it is a little on the greasy side. The biggest problem with this product is that isolated bits of it (like the stuff that sat on the lid, or the product as I was nearing the bottom of the jar) tended to get thick quick. I'm not entirely sure how to explain it. But when there's a lot left, it glides on a lot easier. When it's running low, it gets stickier and harder to apply. I found the smell nothing out of the ordinary. On the whole, this product was pretty good as far as moisturizers go, but for the price... I'm not sure it's worth it.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/17/2008 8:00:00 PM More reviews by flammab1e

I was regretfully sucked into the hype of this product. This stuff just sat on my skin when applied. I had to really rub it in for the white to disappear, then it just left my face a greasy mess. I could have saved my money and smeared my face with vaseline.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/17/2008 3:57:00 PM More reviews by gina626

This product was terrible! First it smelt like medicine, it made me completely break out... DO NOT USE IF YOU HAVE SENSITIVE ACNE PRONE SKIN! I use evian's oxygenating moisturizer, that's def the best moisturizer i've ever used, its oil free, doesn't clog ur pores and doesn't make ur face greasy at all... i hate philosophy for making me break out as bad as it did!! :(

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2008 8:46:00 AM More reviews by lizbathory88

Why would you design a package where you can't pump it, so all you do is continue to infect it with bacteria? And when I asked our Philosophy trainer(that visited Sephora) what the urea was at the very end of the ingredients...she stared blankly. So then I asked well is it human or animal? She said she call her rep and find out for me......WTH????!!!!!!!!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2008 8:12:00 PM More reviews by serrabird

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

The ingredient list reads like chemical warfare. What hope is there in a jar full of silicones and fillers? The so-called 2-3 active ingredients are pushed to the very far back, the rest is preservatives. It is no myth why people break out like mad or get blotchy skin...

water, lauryl lactate, behenic acid, behenoxy dimethicone, glyceryl stearate se, glycerin, behenyl alcohol, cyclomethicone, pentaerythrityl tetracaprylate/tetracaprate, tocopheryl acetate, benzyl alcohol, retinyl palmitate, stearic acid, panthenol, betaglucan, lavandula angustifolia (lavender) oil, xanthan gum, triethanolamine, propylene glycol, methylparaben, propylparaben, diazolidinyl urea

10 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/13/2008 10:06:00 PM More reviews by kobri78

Too heavy, made me break out like crazy!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/13/2008 5:20:00 PM More reviews by torimcm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this product. I have oily skin, and many moisturizers are too heavy for my face. Hope in a Jar helps me to fight the teensy lines that are appearing, as well as smooth out my large pores. The lavender scent is actually appealing to me.

I am also planning on trying When Hope is Not Enough because of the SPF.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/13/2008 10:29:00 AM More reviews by saffire74

This has a VERY plasticy smell to it. Blech. It left my skin very oily and did not sink into the skin at all. I felt like a had a film on my skin all day.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/8/2008 11:58:00 PM More reviews by sweiss

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I do not have especially sensitive skin, but this product made me break out in hives. It took me over a week to recover. Definitely test it out before you purchase it.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/7/2008 4:08:00 AM More reviews by jazzy87

I quite like HIAJ, I got it along with a bunch of other Philosophy products in the 'miracle worker' kit a few months ago, and it's time for a review! I don't love it, but it doesn't break me out and doesn't make my skin red when I apply it, which for me is very rare in a moisturiser - most formulations make me break out and irritate my sensitive skin. The scent does take a bit of getting used to, at first it's kind of like lavender scented sour milk.

Although it's not love, I can see myself repurchasing because I haven't found anything better and i'm not keen on freaking my skin out any more! I use this during the day, after cleansing and before my sunscreen and primer. My one complaint is that there is no SPF!! PLEASE Philosophy make an SPF version!