September 23, 2014 | 1075 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 4 of 5 on 3/7/2008 4:08:00 AM More reviews by jazzy87

I quite like HIAJ, I got it along with a bunch of other Philosophy products in the 'miracle worker' kit a few months ago, and it's time for a review! I don't love it, but it doesn't break me out and doesn't make my skin red when I apply it, which for me is very rare in a moisturiser - most formulations make me break out and irritate my sensitive skin. The scent does take a bit of getting used to, at first it's kind of like lavender scented sour milk.

Although it's not love, I can see myself repurchasing because I haven't found anything better and i'm not keen on freaking my skin out any more! I use this during the day, after cleansing and before my sunscreen and primer. My one complaint is that there is no SPF!! PLEASE Philosophy make an SPF version!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/2/2008 6:09:00 PM More reviews by supersonicsteph

After seeing Philosophy in Sephora and on QVC more times than I can count, I decided to try them when I noticed that I needed a heavier moisturizer. I was previously using Clinique's Dreamatically Different Moisturizer, but it did not hydrate my skin enough for use with the mineral powder makeup (Bare Escentuals) that I use.

This moisturizer definitely does what it says it will. The main problem with it is that it is so expensive I am very afraid of using too much or wasting some. On the flip side of that, a little bit definitely goes a long way. The product is instantly sucked into your skin and you can see your skin becoming luminous before your eyes. Another issue is that it has an odd odor. It does bother me a bit to use something with such a strong odor of perfumes on my face. I know it bothers some more than others. I can say that I've just gotten used to it.

Is this the best moisturizer ever?.. I don't know that, but I do like it right now. When my jar is empty I will probably go get more.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/29/2008 4:57:00 AM More reviews by angelyshis

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Love love this product!! Sinks right in!! I just wish it was in a tube, I hate pots you have to stick your fingers in. I am acne prone nd have found this to be better than anything!! This is one of the things that would be on the list if I could only take 3 things with me on a deserted island.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/28/2008 1:35:00 PM More reviews by Guru4u

I used this when I was in my early 20's and really liked it. Now I need something that does a little bit more for fine lines, etc. A good product to moisturize lightly and sit under makeup.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/27/2008 7:49:00 AM More reviews by fleurr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a nice,hydrating moisturizer that keeps my dry skin happy throughout the day.It def does have a herbal type smell that isn't great...it's also a bit expensive for what it is.I can't say i'm getting a glowy look as some other reviews have mentioned but it is very hydrating,which is important to me.It's a good mid-priced product but if you are watching your pennies cetaphil would probably do a very similar job...I would probably buy it again next time i'm near a sephora but no way would I pay australian prices!
EDIT:this has been making my skin break out like crazy....never buying it again!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/26/2008 12:56:00 PM More reviews by jenek12

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this moisturizer a few weeks ago and have been using it every day since. I really like it! I have pretty oily skin and HIAJ is so light, that it absorbs right in, no problem, and I only need a little bit to cover my face and neck. It doesn't leave a greasy or oily feel either, which is something I have had a lot of issues with other products. I did notice that it actually helps get rid of small zits on my face...a very nice bonus!

On the downside, it doesn't have spf and does have an odd (not bad) scent, which is actually growing on me. I'll have to see how it works in the summer when it is super hot and humid.

Overall, this is my favorite moisturizer that I've tried to date and is reasonably priced. Definitely going to buy it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/24/2008 9:14:00 PM More reviews by Heathcliff79

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My husband hates this face cream. It does smell like chemicals, but I love how it makes my face soft and glowy. It doesn't provide quite enough moisture in the winter months, and in the summer, it can take quite a while to sink in, but I just haven't found anything else that has the same results. It's not my HG, and I often try new things (especially when my skin is really dry in the winter), but I find myself coming back to it every time.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2008 5:53:00 PM More reviews by mkr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using this for the past year. I like the light consistency of the cream. It doesn't feel greasy on and absorbs into my skin pretty quickly. I don't get as shiny in the middle of the day as I used to with my previous day cream. It does have a smell that takes some getting used to and i don't like that I have to stick my fingers in a jar.
I'm on my third jar, so I'll likely be buying it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2008 1:27:00 AM More reviews by winnieisaloser

i received a sample of this from sephora and i have to say i really liked it! i actually liked the strange smell, and it made my skin really smooth. the texture's a bit too watery for me... but that may have just been the sample. it didn't make my face shiny, but my skin did turn a little pink after i used it. i wouldn't buy this product only because it's expensive... i prefer using bio oil (10 dollars) or something like that on my face. as for my body.... i'd rather use a good scrubber and put on oil or vaseline because it'd cost me like a dollar.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/17/2008 1:06:00 AM More reviews by gezebel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

when i first purchased this (The Hype got me, of course), i HATED it. but after using it every night for a week, i definitely noticed a difference in my skin tone. i'm pushing 40, so this is a great moisturizer. just wish it weren't so expensive for so little product. i don't use this during the day, though, because it kinda leaves an oily sheen on my t-zone.