Extra Virgin Olive Oil

4.4

EVOO = Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I do believe that success or failure with this product depends on the oil you use. I personally use hand pressed oil from my husband's village, and I can tell a difference between it and industrial oils. I'm not anti mass market, but this happens to be my experience with oil.
That said, I switch between olive and argan oil in the winter to provide my skin with a first layer of nourishment, somewhat in the same way I would use a serum, but I use more olive oil. I do not use it as a cleansing oil but rather as a moisturizer at night on really cold days where my skin flakes. I then seal the oil with either vaseline or a vaseline based moisturizer (like E45) on my hands, feet and face. In the morning, I wash with a baby washcloth and cleansing oil, without trying too hard and rubbing my face- just to get the vaseline off. I then follow up with my sunscreen as usual.
I also use olive (or argan depending on what I have in hand) on the ends of my hair when I find they are getting dry.
Used regularly, olive oil helps my ezcema in winter and keeps my hair healthy. With the oil I use it is too expensive to be a daily routine and I use it more weekly; semi-weekly in winter. That's why I gave five lippies for the price- the oil I use is extremely hard to get and I simply do not get the same results with store bought oil.
If you don't have access to your inlaws' hilltop village in the Mediterranean, I suggest going to specialty shops for "old" olive oil. Also Mediterranean butchers may have olive oil un stock that you have to ask for. Don't freak when you get it in a used coke bottle! Also try oils from Mediterranean basin countries less popular than Italy or Greece; countries like Bulgaria, Croatia, Turkey and Algeria have fine oils that--if you actually find them--are usually less expensive and of comparable quality. When you buy store bought oil, also pay attention to labels (and this goes for argan oil as well)- make sure what you are getting is 100% and not cut with paraffin or some other oil.

on 8/26/2007 5:17:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I have to agree, Olive oil isn't just great for food- especially in a Greek salad, yum yum, but it can be quite versatile. I personally use it to take off my make-up, especially when I'm wearing alot, and it takes it all off in a jiffy and my face feels so soft. Also, absolutely no irritation nor pimples or clogged pores etc. I also use this as a moisturiser every Sunday after my lactic acid peel and also sometimes at night (mainly in winter) if my skin is very dry. My sister uses it when she makes her home made body scrub and loves it. Cost? No cost seeing my parents send me heaps straight from their village when they go :)

on 8/25/2007 9:19:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I tried using this on my body today before jumping in the shower- it didn't do very much for the shave, but left my skin glowing. Forget all the other moisturizers and body oils out there. Olive oil does the job well for a fraction of the price. I used this to take the makeup off my face too for the first time- and I was amazed when it removed every single trace of makeup. No other cleanser has done it. And the best part is? I am prone to oily skin, clogged pores and acne. Since using this, I haven't had to blot my face for hours. Even as I type this (which is a good six or seven hours later) my facial skin is not oily at all, and the skin on my body is soft as a baby's. Yup, and the glow is still there.

EDIT: I write this after having used evoo for quite a while, and I'm keeping the 5 stars. It deserves more than that actually. I have no more oily skin. My forehead is actually clear now, and it hasn't been like this since I was a kid.

My skincare routine is like this: In the evening, I smear evoo all over my face with cotton pads and massage it all over very thoroughly, and I feel the little milia seeds and whiteheads actually coming out. Then I wash it off with my normal cleanser, followed by a scrub (I use Neutrogena Deep Clean.) Then I use Clinique Clarifying Lotion 2, followed by TBS Tea Tree Oil mattifying moisturiser. After that I dab pure tea tree oil on my zits using cotton buds. So far i think evoo's played a MAJOR role in clearing up my face and giving me back normal skin. It's great for girls with dry skin, but even more wonderful for those with oily skin.

on 8/23/2007 1:41:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I found that polyphenols derived from evoo are the things that make expensive facial creams so $$$/ worthy!!! This is great and makes my skin look hot, it is also said to be anti-aging and it encouroges skin renewal! YIPPE. (See Rachel Ray!!! =D)

on 8/13/2007 3:28:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

this is probably the best thing i've ever put on my skin. I dont use it on my face, cos i'm oily. its rediculous to put more oil into it. BUT, i have EXTREMELY DRY body. I used to use johnson's baby lotion, and they absolutely dried me out. so i tried EVOO on after shower and it totally transformed my skin. my legs no longer look like snake's skin, its very very soft, very very smooth, and i'm very very happy with the results. i scrub my hands, feet and body with this, i use this as a moisturizer and i put some on my lips and they are no longer dry. for my hair, i have oily roots and dry ends. it totally helped out with my dry ends and they are so smooth and silky now. it's amazing how natural things like this can end up being so much better than all those expensive products in the market with fancy packaging. i'm in love with this.

on 8/12/2007 5:07:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

EDIT (October 11, 2007): EVOO is great as a moisturizer for those really dry scaly patches, and around the eye area as well, but continued use for a little over a month resulted in the worst breakout I've had in 8 years. I only started using EVOO for the Oil Cleansing Method. The "plugs" of hardened sebum and bacteria that came out during the "purging" phase kept coming back, and places that weren't particularly prone to acne broke out. It's been a couple weeks since I've reverted to my old skincare regimen, and I'm finally starting to clear up. The Oil cleansing method is definitely not for everyone. I took two lippies off because it's good for moisturizing, but it aggravated my acne.

I tried this after reading all the reviews on OCM here on MUA and on some beauty blogs. I have acne prone combination skin that's not sensitive. I have only mild to moderate acne if I don't take care of my skin, but I was looking for a more natural approach and decided I couldn't get more natural than this. I used a mix of 50% EVOO, and 50% castor oil every night and massaged and massaged and massaged and did a bit of steaming (not a lot, though), and then wiped off with a hot, damp, washcloth. In the morning, I'll wash with a gentle cleansing bar and use my regular moisturizer with SPF. After the first two days/three days, I noticed that my skin was a lot softer, but I had gotten a few new pimples on my cheeks close to my ear and my temples (where I'm especially prone), and blackheads had surfaced on my nose. But the rest of my skin was as soft as ever! Then last night, I tried it again, and I massaged for a really long time (this is imperative), and I felt little granules come up as I massaged around my problem areas, particularly around my nose. Those granules turned out to be my blackheads and all the gunk that I had coaxed out of my pores. It was nasty and wonderful. Hahaha. I woke up today and I saw that my forehead was a lot smoother and softer, and the appearance of my pores has diminished, and the dry patches have been vanquished. =P

I will continue with this regimen to see if any problems crop up. But right now I'm sold!

on 8/7/2007 12:03:00 PM

I had a beautiful tan up until a few days ago... then it started peeling. So I mixed up some sugar and extra virgin olive oil to make a scrub. My skin looks and feels so much better! Didn't use it on my face and chest though, I was scared I'd break out.

I used to have kp on the backs of my arms (for years), but ever since I used this it has virtually disappeared! A miracle? I don't know, but it makes me very happy!!!

Update: My skin suddenly got really dry as the weather got colder. So I decided to try applying a thin layer of EVOO to my face and massage it in. If leaves my skin feeling really soft all day. I do wash it off before applying makeup, though, otherwise it's too shiny. I've done this all week and haven't gotten any new breakouts! :) In fact, my skin looks great.
For reference, I have REALLY acne-prone skin that I've been dealing with since I was 11. I just finally have it under control from taking Omega 3 fish oil pills, using a witch hazel toner and the aspirin mask. I don't want to mess it up, but thought I'd try this anyway!

on 7/31/2007 1:53:00 AM

I tried evoo for the first time today after reading the reviews. For a few days I've been oddly dry from my chin up through my nose and stop in between my eyebrows. I after washing my face I moistened a cotton ball with water and added a few drops of evoo and rubbed it all over my face paying special attention to the dry parts and since it didn't feel greasy I just let it dry. My face felt instantly better and from my eyebrows down to my nose it's already smoother. My chin is smoother too but my chin was the flakiest so I'm sure it may take a few more applications till it's all better. But so far so good! Before the evoo I was just applying more then usual of my regular moisturizer to dry parts and it would eventually works in about a week but with evoo...I can tell the difference in about 12 hours!! I'm defiantly going to keep using it!

on 7/29/2007 3:54:00 PM

After years of misdiagnosing my acne prone skin - I finally discovered plain old olive oil! As a teenager - I used scrubs, dermatologists prescribed retin-A and my skin peeled - it was awful and my skin just seemed to get worse. It turns out my skin is sensitive. I wash my face with water only, moisturize with olive oil, and now I only get a ONE pimple maybe every one - two months apart. and then i use my trusty zeno and it goes away right away!

on 7/23/2007 3:49:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Just want to say to the people who experience breakouts & rashes from EVOO, its not just the oilyness, its probably because its made from olives (oooh really?) which are quite acidic and not always good for sensitive skin. Its also quite a heavy, sticky oil. EVOO really has a strong astringent quality to it for an oil, (which is wonderful for some skin types and even actually some acne prone skins) it stings the skin on my face and itches but it gets rid of my upper arm bumps and is heavenly on my hair and rest of my body. People who have no luck with EVOO should try some of the other oils, Almond and Avocado are particularly gentle and heavenly, and Almond is really the most gentle soothing one for tender skin. Grapeseed is very light and has less smell. (Grapeseed & Avocado at least should be in your grocery store with the EVOO) Natural Health suppliers like New Directions or whatever sells all these oils for good cheap bulk prices and this is a good idea as they can be slightly more expensive in Health Food stores etc. You can also get water dispersable oils or water dispersng agent to add to your oils to get the oil and smell out of your towels and clothes and sheets etc. Love!

Popular Moisturizers