February 1, 2015 | 2147 users online

Moisturizers - Extra Virgin Olive Oil

rated 2 of 5 on 8/12/2007 5:07:00 PM More reviews by smontema

EDIT (October 11, 2007): EVOO is great as a moisturizer for those really dry scaly patches, and around the eye area as well, but continued use for a little over a month resulted in the worst breakout I've had in 8 years. I only started using EVOO for the Oil Cleansing Method. The "plugs" of hardened sebum and bacteria that came out during the "purging" phase kept coming back, and places that weren't particularly prone to acne broke out. It's been a couple weeks since I've reverted to my old skincare regimen, and I'm finally starting to clear up. The Oil cleansing method is definitely not for everyone. I took two lippies off because it's good for moisturizing, but it aggravated my acne.

I tried this after reading all the reviews on OCM here on MUA and on some beauty blogs. I have acne prone combination skin that's not sensitive. I have only mild to moderate acne if I don't take care of my skin, but I was looking for a more natural approach and decided I couldn't get more natural than this. I used a mix of 50% EVOO, and 50% castor oil every night and massaged and massaged and massaged and did a bit of steaming (not a lot, though), and then wiped off with a hot, damp, washcloth. In the morning, I'll wash with a gentle cleansing bar and use my regular moisturizer with SPF. After the first two days/three days, I noticed that my skin was a lot softer, but I had gotten a few new pimples on my cheeks close to my ear and my temples (where I'm especially prone), and blackheads had surfaced on my nose. But the rest of my skin was as soft as ever! Then last night, I tried it again, and I massaged for a really long time (this is imperative), and I felt little granules come up as I massaged around my problem areas, particularly around my nose. Those granules turned out to be my blackheads and all the gunk that I had coaxed out of my pores. It was nasty and wonderful. Hahaha. I woke up today and I saw that my forehead was a lot smoother and softer, and the appearance of my pores has diminished, and the dry patches have been vanquished. =P

I will continue with this regimen to see if any problems crop up. But right now I'm sold!

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2007 12:03:00 PM More reviews by diana6

I had a beautiful tan up until a few days ago... then it started peeling. So I mixed up some sugar and extra virgin olive oil to make a scrub. My skin looks and feels so much better! Didn't use it on my face and chest though, I was scared I'd break out.

I used to have kp on the backs of my arms (for years), but ever since I used this it has virtually disappeared! A miracle? I don't know, but it makes me very happy!!!

Update: My skin suddenly got really dry as the weather got colder. So I decided to try applying a thin layer of EVOO to my face and massage it in. If leaves my skin feeling really soft all day. I do wash it off before applying makeup, though, otherwise it's too shiny. I've done this all week and haven't gotten any new breakouts! :) In fact, my skin looks great.
For reference, I have REALLY acne-prone skin that I've been dealing with since I was 11. I just finally have it under control from taking Omega 3 fish oil pills, using a witch hazel toner and the aspirin mask. I don't want to mess it up, but thought I'd try this anyway!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2007 1:53:00 AM More reviews by chinasmom

I tried evoo for the first time today after reading the reviews. For a few days I've been oddly dry from my chin up through my nose and stop in between my eyebrows. I after washing my face I moistened a cotton ball with water and added a few drops of evoo and rubbed it all over my face paying special attention to the dry parts and since it didn't feel greasy I just let it dry. My face felt instantly better and from my eyebrows down to my nose it's already smoother. My chin is smoother too but my chin was the flakiest so I'm sure it may take a few more applications till it's all better. But so far so good! Before the evoo I was just applying more then usual of my regular moisturizer to dry parts and it would eventually works in about a week but with evoo...I can tell the difference in about 12 hours!! I'm defiantly going to keep using it!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/29/2007 3:54:00 PM More reviews by april4

After years of misdiagnosing my acne prone skin - I finally discovered plain old olive oil! As a teenager - I used scrubs, dermatologists prescribed retin-A and my skin peeled - it was awful and my skin just seemed to get worse. It turns out my skin is sensitive. I wash my face with water only, moisturize with olive oil, and now I only get a ONE pimple maybe every one - two months apart. and then i use my trusty zeno and it goes away right away!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2007 3:49:00 AM More reviews by goglet

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Just want to say to the people who experience breakouts & rashes from EVOO, its not just the oilyness, its probably because its made from olives (oooh really?) which are quite acidic and not always good for sensitive skin. Its also quite a heavy, sticky oil. EVOO really has a strong astringent quality to it for an oil, (which is wonderful for some skin types and even actually some acne prone skins) it stings the skin on my face and itches but it gets rid of my upper arm bumps and is heavenly on my hair and rest of my body. People who have no luck with EVOO should try some of the other oils, Almond and Avocado are particularly gentle and heavenly, and Almond is really the most gentle soothing one for tender skin. Grapeseed is very light and has less smell. (Grapeseed & Avocado at least should be in your grocery store with the EVOO) Natural Health suppliers like New Directions or whatever sells all these oils for good cheap bulk prices and this is a good idea as they can be slightly more expensive in Health Food stores etc. You can also get water dispersable oils or water dispersng agent to add to your oils to get the oil and smell out of your towels and clothes and sheets etc. Love!

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 7/2/2007 9:56:00 PM More reviews by readingredocean

I tried this for ocm and my face had slightly burning sensation while massaging and after I cleaned it off, my face was red and started itching...afterwards I continued to react with bumps...I tried the organic variety...but it's too strong and thick for my skin. I have ultra-sensitive, combination skin prone to blocked pores and breakouts if irritated. I find sweet almond oil much more gentler and lighter, and my skin has started improving since using this.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/14/2007 12:26:00 PM More reviews by xMorningRosex

I'd give this 5 for body, 3 for face if possible -

Body:

I slather myself in it before a shower and then apply more before I shave my legs, works wonders and it's the closest i've ever come (in 10 years of razor use) to not getting any red shaving bumps. My skin currently looks glowing and healthy thanks to EVOO - I hadn't previously bothered with the skin on my body much, thinking it could only look so good, but this has been fantastic and has really made a difference.

Face:

A great cleanser and removes all eye makeup. However I tried leaving traces of this on as a moisturizer and it clogged my pores terribly (though I am very clog-prone anyway), so for other OSNWs, i'd recommend rinsing well away with a foaming cleanser.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2007 11:53:00 AM More reviews by mauwong

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Great for moisturizing thigh and after shaven legs. I don't find regular lotion sufficient to moisturize those areas. But Olive Oil gets rid of those uncomfortable tight feeling quite easily. Highly Recommended.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/15/2007 12:05:00 AM More reviews by Bexcini

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Absolutely spectacular. Since using this little gem from my kitchen cupboard as a body treatment, my skin is like satin. I followed the advice of other reviewers and slathered it on from top to toe before jumping into a steaming shower. With my legs still covered in oil, I ran my Gillette Venus razor over them, and experienced a gloriously close shave (i.e., none of my usual rashes or irritation), then washed with Johnson's Baby Milk Bath. I would have thought that cleaning the oil off so soon after putting it on would render the effects useless, but not so! My skin was smooth as a baby's and remained that way until my next shower. Personally, I wouldn't recommend using it as a post-shower body oil, since the smell is pretty intense. As others have mentioned, this product is a fabulous make-up remover, and I am planning to put it to further good use by mixing it with sugar as a scrub, soaking my nails in it, using it as a bath oil (which is Sophia Loren's body treatment of choice). I have complete faith in its abilities to perform well in a number of different capacities. What a brilliant little find!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 5/13/2007 6:39:00 AM More reviews by caradiangela

Well, what to say... I really wanted to like this product as a face cleansing method. I have quite easy, combinated skin and I was on the look out for a way of cleansing that isnt too drying, and does a little extra for the skin. The use of plain e.v. olive oil seemed to be just that!
I really liked the natural aspect of it, and it also felt nice on my skin, didnt mind any smell either... But, after using it for about a week, I must say I'm a bit disappointed. Maybe its just too greasy for my skin type, or I've used it incorrectly. Either way, I feel like in the past week I've been broken out more than I regularly do. I must say it's also the time of month...if you know what I mean...so honestly I dont know really what caused it. My skin feels soft and moisturised tough. Maybe I'll give it another try for one more week, and update.
I used it like this: putting a little amount of evoo on a cotton pad, and smeared it all over my (dry) face. After a short while, I rinsed my face with plain (cold) water.
I didnt do a good job removing my mascara either (the only make up I use, MaxFactor MAX).
UPDATE: Since I've quit cleaning my face with olive oil, my break-outs all disappeared. So I guess EVOO really isnt for me (I take one lippy of)

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No