Extra Virgin Olive Oil

4.4

EVOO = Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Do you remember in my big fat Greek wedding how the dad was obsessed with windex? That's what EVOO is to me. I am in LOVE. There should be a +1 000 000 rating button exclusively for EVOO. My friends always ask me what I do to make my skin so good, and when I tell them they think I'm a mental case... but I don't care becaue obviously it's working. ;)

I was first introduced to using Olive Oil in my beauty routine when I was 12 years old, by a hair stylist after she was cutting my dry, bleached hair, she told me to heat some up and put it in my hair before washing it, I tried it, and the results were amazing. I never thought of using it on my skin until reading the reviews here, I was really scared to put it on my skin because .. it's oil! I'm naturally oily so it scared me, but I am SOOO glad I did. It's a staple of my beauty routine now. My skin has never looked better, it's actually WAY less oily! Acne dissapears the day after I put some of this little miracle on my face, and it removes mascara that even Vaseline can't get rid of! Works for cuticle oil, face masks (like with honey and aspirin as one example) and lips too.. and shaving - this is the ONLY thing I can use on my legs without getting a razor burn. What I do is use this on my face after I wash it at night, and leave it on overnight and then wash off in the morning. I wouldn't recc leaving the house with it on, because then, yes, you will look oily. One time I was on vacation and didn't have access to my beloved EVOO for a week and my skin looked horrible. I'm addicted lol.

Oh and I bathe in this stuff. Literally. Using it in the bath is amazing, it makes my body look perfect, with no sticky or gross film/residue that all the other products have in them. There's nothing this can't do! I also keep getting more and more ideas for masks, etc from other MUAs here on this review, thanks everyone so much!! EVOO has revolutionized my beauty routine FOREVER. I am the biggest believer in home remedies now. :D

UPDATE: A few nights ago, I was having troubles sleeping so I took some sleeping pills, and in the morning I looked like I had been up snorting coke all night or something!! :( My skin had never looked so bad, I was so embarassed I didn't want to be seen but I had to go to work... so I had to think fast... what did I turn too? EVOO of course!! I put some on my face for a few mins, washed it off, moisturized, and my skin was fine. ;) EVOO seems to be a bit of a hit or miss for people, but I'm glad it works for me because it is honestly god sent.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I know some of you may be a little skeptical about putting an oil on your face. I know that I was at first. I have combination skin, really oily with occasional breakouts. My skin is also VERY sensitive. I have to be really careful about the products I use, even the "all natural" products have broken my face out. I began using olive oil as a moisturizer about three weeks ago when I ran out of my Rachel Perry Calendula moisturizer. I am in love!!!! ZERO breakouts, my skin is luxuriously soft, and dewy, and surprisingly a lot LESS oily! Here is a good application tip. For less mess you can use a makeup sponge wedge. Just pour a little onto the sponge, press to forehead, cheeks, and chin, while rubbing softly. After you can make sure it's even by rubbing it in with clean hands.(The sponge soaks up the oil so that there is not a drippy mess while applicating.) Your face soaksn the olive oil up almost immediately. In the morning after I wash my face with my normal cleanser (Rachel Perry Tangerine Dream) I use the sponge technique before I put on my makeup. It has improved my skin so much that after I apply the oil olive in the morning and it soaks in, I just throw on some powder (Maybelline Dream Matte Powder) and some mascara and go! I would also like to add that I avoid putting olive oil on my nose. So when I wake up in the morning my face isn't oily. Oh, and after the olive oil in the morning, I apply a foundation primer. I haven't tried it without it yet. But ladies, this is definitely worth a try. When applied correctly it is great for all skin types.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I only tried this after reading the rave reviews. Before bed I moisturised my face with a couple of drops of olive oil (nothing fancy, just stores own brand) and couldn't believe how quickly it sank in. The next day my skin felt lovely and soft. I also love the fact that it feels so natural, there's no worry of any strange ingredients being in it. I've even tried it on my really dry knees and it worked better than body butter. Love it!

The low overall rating reflects the use of extra virgin olive oil on my face. I slathered it on- it felt good so I left it on for a few minutes, then washed it off with a mild cleanser. By the next morning, I had broken out. I have combination skin with occasional break-outs.

As a body moisturizer, with or without an exfoliator, it's tremendous. However, I can get the same results with baby oil, which is also cheaper, or Neutrogena oil (b/c it smells nice). I'm glad this worked well for others, though.

(I would buy it again, for eating!)

Who knew something so incredible would be sitting right in your kitchen cupboard? I use this as my makeup remover at night. I just slather on and let sit on my face before getting in the shower. It removes my mascara and leaves my face glowing in a good way. I use it in making a homemade sugar scrub too. It moisturizes in ways that far puts the expensive creams and oils to shame that are out on the market. I purchased a nice little pump bottle and keep it full of olive oil in the bathroom. I put some of this under my eyes before bed to keep crows feet away. I can notice a huge difference when I don't use this at night. It plumps up any lines and wrinkles and diminishes them quite a bit. If you look at the ingredients list on some expensive creams, they use olive oil in them as one of the key oils. I just save my money and purchase a huge jug of extra virgin olive oil at Costco and decant for my own beauty use. Who am I to argue with thousands of years of beauty use? It is still around and being used in modern creams and lotions for a reason.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Actually I would buy this product again, but I'd use it in pasta sauces and not as a cleanser! Having read some of the rave reviews on MUA, I decided to give EVO a go. Now, I have pretty sensitive, rosacea-prone skin, but I ignored the little voice in my head that said, 'this is a GREEN product that has a really strong SMELL' (ie, is coloured and fragranced), because I thought it was natural and therefore should be ok. Sadly, I was wrong.

While it did feel really nice as I slathered it on before my shower, and I must admit that the overall texture of my skin was rather nice the next day, it was also extremely irritating and brought me out in the classic itchy, raised red bumps that characterise rosacea. Oh well.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is absolutely the most amazing skin care product ever, and I am only using the Wegman's store brand extra virgin olive oil (around $9 a bottle). I use this to wash my face morning and night (I slather my face with EVOO, massage gently, and then wash off with a warm, wet washcloth). My husband thought I was crazy and going to break out (I have extremely sensitive skin) but the results have been astounding. Not only is my skin clear and glowing, but I haven't even had to moisturize and it looks younger and smoother. I've been using it for ten days now, and not a pimple in sight (which is so unusual for me!) I haven't had to use any cover up in a week, and can get by just swiping some powder on and going! And my skin has been significantly less shiny and oily. I just can't believe I never knew about this until now.

I've also been using the trick of slathering on all over before hopping into the shower... the result has been significantly softer, smoother skin. LOVE this stuff! You must try it! I have not gone so far as to use this as a day moisturizer, as it has a very strong odor.

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

Wow! EVOO has done wonders for my normal, leaning on dry skin. It is definitely a "miracle in a bottle" and it's so cheap! This has many multipurpose uses:
For all over body nourishment, I apply it directly to dry skin or mix a bit into my moisturiser and smooth all over until a glowing, healthy sheen is remaining. Apply after a shower or bath when you're still a little damp to lock in moisture and give you smooth, glowing skin.
For facial skin, pat a few drops into cleansed, moist skin and neck to give you a boost of moisture and leave you with a gorgeous glow without being greasy. I normally mix a drop or two into my Trilogy moisturiser for really smooth skin.
As a beautiful scrub, I mix this with some ground oatmeal and honey. It's gentle, nourishing, soothing and rinses off easily, leaving skin feeling smooth. I use this lovely scrub for my body in the shower as well.
Soak brittle nails in a small bowl of warmed EVOO to strengthen and nourish nails & cuticles.
This is great for taking off eye makeup. Just dampen skin with a splash of warm water, smooth a few drops all over the eye area and rinse off with more warm water and finish off with a bit of mild cleanser to remove any residue. Use this technique for all over the face to cleanse deeply, removing grime and follow with some gentle cleanser.
This works beautifully as a nourishing hair oil. An hour or so before you get into the shower, apply some oil all over the hair (but not the roots), then rinse out with shampoo once you get into the shower. To boost shine and softness, end your shower with a rosemary hair rinse (put rosemary in boiling water, leave for a few minutes, drain and then let it cool completely). This leaves hair glossy, well nourished and manageable.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil works like a charm and is so useful in my beauty regime - I use it daily.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I would never have thought to write reviews on my daily staples which are all natural plant oils like coconut, sweet almond and this oil. I've been using almond and coconut oils for years with great results, since I live in Spain I also use olive oil all the time to eat. But I've never used it much as a moisturiser, in fact not too many people that I know do use it as a moisturiser at all, except maybe a few people who like it to moisturise their hands, but that's about it. There is a traditional face masque here however using olive oil and lemon juice, a friend once had a very bad allergic reaction to something she used on her face and she turned very red and flaky and painful so another friend made her an olive oil and lemon juice masque, she wore it all night long and the next day we were all in wonder, she came downstairs with the most beautiful glowing clear skin, there was no trace of allergic reaction anywhere. So I've always thought of this more as a face masque ingredient rather than a moisturiser all on its own. However after reading the reviews here I decided to try it alone as a moisturiser. Well the results are amazing! They really are! I had just started trying Diacneal and I was quite pleased with the results, I didn't think anything could make me look better than Diacneal, it gave me smooth skin which was a bit fairer in colour and most importantly it gave me a very youthful glow (I don't have acne or blemishes anyways). But after I tried the olive oil oh boy! I could go out without foundation and I looked like I was wearing foundation! I didn't just have decent skin, I actually looked like I was using foundation. I don't know what it is, in addition to the *Diacneal effect* (smoother skin, healthy glow) it also seemed to even out the colour a bit and gave me a radiance and a glow that I didn't get even with Diacneal. I have skin with lots of colours but with olive oil it seems that I have more even colours and not as red where it shouldn't be red (it's not irritation, just natural skin colour I guess), just healthy rosy cheeks that actually looked better than any artificial foundation with blush. I also used the olive oil mixed with fine sugar for a scrub one day, great effect! Now I alternate olive oil with my other favourite oils and Diacneal, every night I choose one of these things to use. I just put on a thin layer of oil on clean and toned skin, massage it in well and it absorbs really quickly and leaves skin very soft and glowing but not greasy. In the morning I don't have such oily skin either as I used to.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Here is my little routine with olive oil. I rub a good amount into my freshly washed face before going to bed. I massage the oil in pretty well, paying special attention to my dry and red spots. It feels so comforting being as some face washes make my skin feel tight. When I wake up my face is a little oily as to be expected, but it feels great. I rub a little more oil on my face before getting into the shower, and the let the steam get to work. At the end of my shower I wash my face with Basis face wash, or something grainy in texture for a real treat. It works so magically. When I go to put on my makeup after this, it goes on wonderfully, and my skin feels smooth and soft all day. My skin is glowing, and I don't mean in an oily way. But I do have oily skin and I believe that the olive oil is helping.
For the body it feels great to put the oil on dry skin before taking a bath/shower. Then using a wash cloth and water to exfoliate your skin. Also the oil is good to soften cuticles before pusing them back with an orange stick. Sorry the review was so long, but these are some tips I found reviewing on MUA that helped me the most. Also I put my olive oil in a glass oil & vinegar dispenser (I don't know what it's called), that I found at Dollar General for a dollar, it looks attractive on my bathroom counter and doesn't make a mess.

Video Reviews & Tutorials