Extra Virgin Olive Oil

4.4

EVOO

on 8/26/2007 11:27:00 PM

I've been using EVOO for years even before "the hype" and I use it for anything that requires extra moisture whether it be my hair (surprisingly good for styling hair that is misbehaving - but just use a couple of drops) my face or my hands and cuticles.
Of course we cook with it all the time too and I'm careful to only buy pure pressed EVOO - the really thick dark green variety. continued >>

on 8/26/2007 5:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I am joining the raves here - simply because this product deserves to be praised. It is a real skin-saver, and has at times been the only moisturizer that my dry, harassed, irritated, exzema-covered skin has been able to tolerate (both face and body).
My skin has since healed and is no longer battling exzema, thank God. This continues to be my favorite make-up remover, face oil and body moisturizer! A little goes a long way when it comes to moisturizing. Removing make-up requires a bit more, and I usually finish my PM cleaning with another cleanser. In the winter-time, olive oil is often all I use.

All in all, this is some of the best stuff nature has to offer... Both skin-care wise and nutrition-wise!
I can get evoo rather cheaply at my local grocery store, it's Spanish and is supposed to be organic. There are more expenisive options too, but I'm quite happy with this one, both in my salad and on my skin :-)

on 8/26/2007 4:52:00 PM

I've been using olive oil (solely) for years for cooking, of course. I also use it as ingredient in homemade sugar scrubs, a conditioning treatment for my hair (prior to shampooing), and even to remove product buildup (like heavy oil-based pomade) from my hair, for manicures, etc.

I had never thought to use it on my face, or to shave (I've heard a lot of hype surrounding this lately).

I'm amazed, shocked and elated at the results!

I applied this on my face, massaged in for a couple minutes, then let sit for ten. Any minor pore cloggage that I had was gone. I know it's done wonders for my skin elsewhere and for my hair, but damn! My face looked so radiant.

Using it to shave with was the real treat. Not only did I get a super-close shave, but I didn't experience any skin irritation afterward.

Since I first started shaving, I've always battled bumps, rashes and irritation. I've tried everything under the sun to avoid this (even waxing), but to no avail. Everything seems to irritate the follicles. I'm actually quite embarrassed about the way my legs look 98% of the time (I usually use body makeup to conceal it, although that never sorts out the bumpy texture).

I usually have to use hydrocortisone cream after I shave. However, after the shave with olive oil, I didn't have to do this! With one use, the blotches have nearly diminished and my skin looks near-normal! I haven't seen it like this... well, I can't remember the last time my skin looked like this. Elementary school, I'd say.

Amazing results!

I've been experiencing the greasies because it's summer.... typical for this time of year. Since using this on my face, I've not had one bout of greasiness and my makeup barely needs retouching.

BTW-- I am using a high-quality hand/cold pressed olive oil that is imported from Spain. Pricy , but I'd rather use the good stuff.

on 8/26/2007 10:48:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I have used Olive Oil for years for just about everything - and people used to laugh at me for it. I have very sensitive skin that is very dry and Olive Oil is just the perfect moisturizer for me. I personally use the extra light - I find the extra virgin too heavy for me. I add 25% to my body lotion, I use a few drops on my face before my moisturizer as a serum, and I mix 1 part vaseline to 4 parts olive oil for my eye cream since all eye creams seem to irritate my eyes (at night I just use straight olive oil, since the petroleum makes my eyes puffy in the am). I use a drop of it on my hair just before styling instead of the silicone products that are on the market these days, and I slather it on after a facial and leave it on for a few hours to hydrate my skin. In the winter (I live in a very cold climate) I put it on straight before my lotion to help with winter-dry skin. It is by far the best all around beauty product. I also use avocado oil as well, but not as much as the olive oil. Both of these oils, closely resemble the oil that our bodies produce and therefore, they absorb into our skin/hair better than other oils, and are less greasy. It is the best. Update: I found Apricot Kernel Oil and although I love the olive oil for everything else, the Apricot is working fantastic for my under eye area - and I don't need to add petroleum to it to give it staying power - it's fantastic for my eyes.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I do believe that success or failure with this product depends on the oil you use. I personally use hand pressed oil from my husband's village, and I can tell a difference between it and industrial oils. I'm not anti mass market, but this happens to be my experience with oil.
That said, I switch between olive and argan oil in the winter to provide my skin with a first layer of nourishment, somewhat in the same way I would use a serum, but I use more olive oil. I do not use it as a cleansing oil but rather as a moisturizer at night on really cold days where my skin flakes. I then seal the oil with either vaseline or a vaseline based moisturizer (like E45) on my hands, feet and face. In the morning, I wash with a baby washcloth and cleansing oil, without trying too hard and rubbing my face- just to get the vaseline off. I then follow up with my sunscreen as usual.
I also use olive (or argan depending on what I have in hand) on the ends of my hair when I find they are getting dry.
Used regularly, olive oil helps my ezcema in winter and keeps my hair healthy. With the oil I use it is too expensive to be a daily routine and I use it more weekly; semi-weekly in winter. That's why I gave five lippies for the price- the oil I use is extremely hard to get and I simply do not get the same results with store bought oil.
If you don't have access to your inlaws' hilltop village in the Mediterranean, I suggest going to specialty shops for "old" olive oil. Also Mediterranean butchers may have olive oil un stock that you have to ask for. Don't freak when you get it in a used coke bottle! Also try oils from Mediterranean basin countries less popular than Italy or Greece; countries like Bulgaria, Croatia, Turkey and Algeria have fine oils that--if you actually find them--are usually less expensive and of comparable quality. When you buy store bought oil, also pay attention to labels (and this goes for argan oil as well)- make sure what you are getting is 100% and not cut with paraffin or some other oil.

on 8/26/2007 5:17:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I have to agree, Olive oil isn't just great for food- especially in a Greek salad, yum yum, but it can be quite versatile. I personally use it to take off my make-up, especially when I'm wearing alot, and it takes it all off in a jiffy and my face feels so soft. Also, absolutely no irritation nor pimples or clogged pores etc. I also use this as a moisturiser every Sunday after my lactic acid peel and also sometimes at night (mainly in winter) if my skin is very dry. My sister uses it when she makes her home made body scrub and loves it. Cost? No cost seeing my parents send me heaps straight from their village when they go :)

on 8/25/2007 9:19:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I tried using this on my body today before jumping in the shower- it didn't do very much for the shave, but left my skin glowing. Forget all the other moisturizers and body oils out there. Olive oil does the job well for a fraction of the price. I used this to take the makeup off my face too for the first time- and I was amazed when it removed every single trace of makeup. No other cleanser has done it. And the best part is? I am prone to oily skin, clogged pores and acne. Since using this, I haven't had to blot my face for hours. Even as I type this (which is a good six or seven hours later) my facial skin is not oily at all, and the skin on my body is soft as a baby's. Yup, and the glow is still there.

EDIT: I write this after having used evoo for quite a while, and I'm keeping the 5 stars. It deserves more than that actually. I have no more oily skin. My forehead is actually clear now, and it hasn't been like this since I was a kid.

My skincare routine is like this: In the evening, I smear evoo all over my face with cotton pads and massage it all over very thoroughly, and I feel the little milia seeds and whiteheads actually coming out. Then I wash it off with my normal cleanser, followed by a scrub (I use Neutrogena Deep Clean.) Then I use Clinique Clarifying Lotion 2, followed by TBS Tea Tree Oil mattifying moisturiser. After that I dab pure tea tree oil on my zits using cotton buds. So far i think evoo's played a MAJOR role in clearing up my face and giving me back normal skin. It's great for girls with dry skin, but even more wonderful for those with oily skin.

on 8/23/2007 1:41:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I found that polyphenols derived from evoo are the things that make expensive facial creams so $$$/ worthy!!! This is great and makes my skin look hot, it is also said to be anti-aging and it encouroges skin renewal! YIPPE. (See Rachel Ray!!! =D)

on 8/13/2007 3:28:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

this is probably the best thing i've ever put on my skin. I dont use it on my face, cos i'm oily. its rediculous to put more oil into it. BUT, i have EXTREMELY DRY body. I used to use johnson's baby lotion, and they absolutely dried me out. so i tried EVOO on after shower and it totally transformed my skin. my legs no longer look like snake's skin, its very very soft, very very smooth, and i'm very very happy with the results. i scrub my hands, feet and body with this, i use this as a moisturizer and i put some on my lips and they are no longer dry. for my hair, i have oily roots and dry ends. it totally helped out with my dry ends and they are so smooth and silky now. it's amazing how natural things like this can end up being so much better than all those expensive products in the market with fancy packaging. i'm in love with this.

on 8/12/2007 5:07:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

EDIT (October 11, 2007): EVOO is great as a moisturizer for those really dry scaly patches, and around the eye area as well, but continued use for a little over a month resulted in the worst breakout I've had in 8 years. I only started using EVOO for the Oil Cleansing Method. The "plugs" of hardened sebum and bacteria that came out during the "purging" phase kept coming back, and places that weren't particularly prone to acne broke out. It's been a couple weeks since I've reverted to my old skincare regimen, and I'm finally starting to clear up. The Oil cleansing method is definitely not for everyone. I took two lippies off because it's good for moisturizing, but it aggravated my acne.

I tried this after reading all the reviews on OCM here on MUA and on some beauty blogs. I have acne prone combination skin that's not sensitive. I have only mild to moderate acne if I don't take care of my skin, but I was looking for a more natural approach and decided I couldn't get more natural than this. I used a mix of 50% EVOO, and 50% castor oil every night and massaged and massaged and massaged and did a bit of steaming (not a lot, though), and then wiped off with a hot, damp, washcloth. In the morning, I'll wash with a gentle cleansing bar and use my regular moisturizer with SPF. After the first two days/three days, I noticed that my skin was a lot softer, but I had gotten a few new pimples on my cheeks close to my ear and my temples (where I'm especially prone), and blackheads had surfaced on my nose. But the rest of my skin was as soft as ever! Then last night, I tried it again, and I massaged for a really long time (this is imperative), and I felt little granules come up as I massaged around my problem areas, particularly around my nose. Those granules turned out to be my blackheads and all the gunk that I had coaxed out of my pores. It was nasty and wonderful. Hahaha. I woke up today and I saw that my forehead was a lot smoother and softer, and the appearance of my pores has diminished, and the dry patches have been vanquished. =P

I will continue with this regimen to see if any problems crop up. But right now I'm sold!

Popular Moisturizers