Extra Virgin Olive Oil

4.4

EVOO = Extra Virgin Olive Oil

on 8/28/2007 6:36:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I have used olive oil for years & my Italian grandmother used it on her hands in the kitchen all the time but a lot when she was canning tomatoes etc.
I used it sparringly under my eyes to soften that area and it helps with the crows feet too.
The clue is to use it lightly and on warm skin or warm the oil (not hot).
It's worth a try for those of us who are tired of the hype and just want something that works!!!

on 8/28/2007 3:53:00 AM

This is my number 1 HG, desert-island-worthy beauty product. I'm Italian, and grown up eating fine quality EVOO. My mother taught me to use this on my dry lips when I was a child, but it wasn't til my teens that I started experimenting with other beauty uses of this wonder product. Olives are rich in antioxidants and essential fatty acids, helping to fight aging and preserve the soft tissue complexes of the skin. I'm still unsure whether the skin can absorb these nutrients when treated with EVOO, rather than a specific olive derivative, but it's not as though we're wasting money here - even top-quality organic olive oils are under $20 a bottle.

I decant my kitchen EVOO into a pretty pump bottle for the bathroom, so as improve the general experience of using it as a beauty product. I use it to remove make-up before cleansing, as a pre-shampoo hair treatment, and a nail treatment oil, but the best use I've put it to has been on my body. I mix olive oil with sugar for a fantastic, circulation stimulating scrub, and rub my whole body down with this in the shower. After I've patted myself dry to retain most of that moisture, I apply my Nivea Goodbye Cellulite and Dove Firming Cream, but recently I discovered that if I apply EVOO straight to my skin after the creams, it locks in the moisture and leaves my skin divinely silky. No cream can do this - I've tried all the high end brands, and nothing gives my skin such a glow and such wonderfully soft texture. The difference I've seen in my skin has been amazing, and I've only started doing this since the dry Australian winter set in, when I usually resemble a crocodile and am embarrassed to take my stockings off at the waxing salon. It's a godsend!

UPDATE: Last week, I peered at the pearl earrings SO gave me a year ago and decided they were looking a little dull and needed a clean. I rang the jeweller and guess what she advised - rub them with EVOO and a soft cloth! I couldn't believe it! It worked a charm, and the pearls now have their lustre renewed.

on 8/27/2007 8:59:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Works wonders for conditioning/moisturizing my natural, course, AA hair and scalp. Warm in microwave. Comb through hair. Wear heating cap. Or mix with deep conditioner. KeraCare Humectress mixed with Milani Protein, EVOO hot oil treatments, and Organic Root 'Carrot Oil' leaves hair soft, bouncing, and nice luster. Also nice for nails too.

on 8/27/2007 3:19:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I'd like to add my raving review for this as a skincare product. To cleanse my face, I can only use this or Albolene anymore, it's just so sensitive and tends toward dry underneath, oily on top, and nothing balances it out like oil. Never would have guessed! I've tried so many other oils, and nothing works like olive oil. Absolutely no irritation or breakouts (provided I remove it thoroughly with a damp cloth). Seriously, there's very few products that have impressed me like this. It's instantly soothing, and is the most hydrating, and wonderfully economical.
Update: This is still a great oil to try, but lately I've been digging the safflower oil more. Might come back to this since it does have a nice temporary soothing property, but for everyday, it doesn't play as well with my complexion.

on 8/27/2007 6:25:00 AM

I've read some of the reviews stating how olive oil helped people with kp and was most intrigued. I have bad case on my upper arms and thighs as well, and it's been there forever (I'm 41). I'm going to try the oilve oil thing and report back if it makes a difference. I figure if it can help my case then there's hope for anyone. I'll update in a month.
**UPDATE** This has made a huge differnce to the kp on my arms but not much change on my thighs. My arms are very smooth and now you can only see the faintest trace of kp. I used the spray cvariety and mixed it with a little body lotion so I could smooth it over mt skin. If you've got kp give it a shot. I did it on my face but too greasy for me (some zits) but as a body treatment this is gold.

I absolutely love using olive oil for face and body. I typically put on a good moisturizer out of the shower, let it dry, and then rub in a thin coat of olive oil on top. I usually take showers at night, and when I wake up in the morning, my skin is unbelivably soft.

I also use it in small amounts on my face at night, and again, leave it to soak in. I think my major concern when first using it was that I would break out because it is an oil, but it didn't make me break out in the least. Instead, I wake up with super soft, hydrated skin.

I especially love it because it is natural and the primary source of a lot of other beauty products. I completely prefer to use it as opposed to more expensive crap that claims to do things I know it doesn't do.

HIGHLY recommeded. LOVE IT!

on 8/26/2007 11:27:00 PM

I've been using EVOO for years even before "the hype" and I use it for anything that requires extra moisture whether it be my hair (surprisingly good for styling hair that is misbehaving - but just use a couple of drops) my face or my hands and cuticles.
Of course we cook with it all the time too and I'm careful to only buy pure pressed EVOO - the really thick dark green variety. continued >>

on 8/26/2007 5:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I am joining the raves here - simply because this product deserves to be praised. It is a real skin-saver, and has at times been the only moisturizer that my dry, harassed, irritated, exzema-covered skin has been able to tolerate (both face and body).
My skin has since healed and is no longer battling exzema, thank God. This continues to be my favorite make-up remover, face oil and body moisturizer! A little goes a long way when it comes to moisturizing. Removing make-up requires a bit more, and I usually finish my PM cleaning with another cleanser. In the winter-time, olive oil is often all I use.

All in all, this is some of the best stuff nature has to offer... Both skin-care wise and nutrition-wise!
I can get evoo rather cheaply at my local grocery store, it's Spanish and is supposed to be organic. There are more expenisive options too, but I'm quite happy with this one, both in my salad and on my skin :-)

on 8/26/2007 4:52:00 PM

I've been using olive oil (solely) for years for cooking, of course. I also use it as ingredient in homemade sugar scrubs, a conditioning treatment for my hair (prior to shampooing), and even to remove product buildup (like heavy oil-based pomade) from my hair, for manicures, etc.

I had never thought to use it on my face, or to shave (I've heard a lot of hype surrounding this lately).

I'm amazed, shocked and elated at the results!

I applied this on my face, massaged in for a couple minutes, then let sit for ten. Any minor pore cloggage that I had was gone. I know it's done wonders for my skin elsewhere and for my hair, but damn! My face looked so radiant.

Using it to shave with was the real treat. Not only did I get a super-close shave, but I didn't experience any skin irritation afterward.

Since I first started shaving, I've always battled bumps, rashes and irritation. I've tried everything under the sun to avoid this (even waxing), but to no avail. Everything seems to irritate the follicles. I'm actually quite embarrassed about the way my legs look 98% of the time (I usually use body makeup to conceal it, although that never sorts out the bumpy texture).

I usually have to use hydrocortisone cream after I shave. However, after the shave with olive oil, I didn't have to do this! With one use, the blotches have nearly diminished and my skin looks near-normal! I haven't seen it like this... well, I can't remember the last time my skin looked like this. Elementary school, I'd say.

Amazing results!

I've been experiencing the greasies because it's summer.... typical for this time of year. Since using this on my face, I've not had one bout of greasiness and my makeup barely needs retouching.

BTW-- I am using a high-quality hand/cold pressed olive oil that is imported from Spain. Pricy , but I'd rather use the good stuff.

on 8/26/2007 10:48:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I have used Olive Oil for years for just about everything - and people used to laugh at me for it. I have very sensitive skin that is very dry and Olive Oil is just the perfect moisturizer for me. I personally use the extra light - I find the extra virgin too heavy for me. I add 25% to my body lotion, I use a few drops on my face before my moisturizer as a serum, and I mix 1 part vaseline to 4 parts olive oil for my eye cream since all eye creams seem to irritate my eyes (at night I just use straight olive oil, since the petroleum makes my eyes puffy in the am). I use a drop of it on my hair just before styling instead of the silicone products that are on the market these days, and I slather it on after a facial and leave it on for a few hours to hydrate my skin. In the winter (I live in a very cold climate) I put it on straight before my lotion to help with winter-dry skin. It is by far the best all around beauty product. I also use avocado oil as well, but not as much as the olive oil. Both of these oils, closely resemble the oil that our bodies produce and therefore, they absorb into our skin/hair better than other oils, and are less greasy. It is the best. Update: I found Apricot Kernel Oil and although I love the olive oil for everything else, the Apricot is working fantastic for my under eye area - and I don't need to add petroleum to it to give it staying power - it's fantastic for my eyes.

Video Reviews & Tutorials