November 27, 2014 | 952 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Mia

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2010 2:20:00 AM More reviews by missmei

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

I LOVE my Mia!!!

I had quite a bad episode of hormonal acne for 9 months. I tried scrubs - bad idea as it dried everything out and made it worse. I used a lot of conventional/drug store products for acne but it made it worse! My skin wasn't oily to start with, it was problematic and there is a huge difference between the two so if you're in the same boat, perhaps this might work out better for you too. My skin was bumpy, inflamed, cystic, hyperpigmented from the acne lesion, dull, slick-looking and lifeless. I wore makeup to try and hide how bad my skin really was. I felt like I had to because my skin was fantastic before my breakout and I cried on a weekly basis because I felt so ugly.

I bought my brush about 4 months ago after reading about it on essentialdayspa.com (also how I found out about makeup alley!) and there were so many raves about it. After umming and ahhing I ordered it. Sothys cleansing milk and Regulating Moisturiser were the only other things that helped clear up my skin a bit maybe coz it was just gently cleaning instead of stripping it bare.

Then I started using my Mia with my Sothys and wow! I think that the problem with hormonal acne and comodones in general is that the pore is clogged so debris, bacteria and the like get stuck a lot easier. The hormones and stress made my skin oilier and not slough away properly. The Mia gently brushed away the gunk clogging the pore and removed the makeup, thus helping my problem of my skin not sloughing away properly due to the hormones and stress.

I think it has also helped keep the hyperpigmentation/scars 'soft' as that is fading quicker than usual too.

I have also tried to get my hormones under control via supplements to regulate my adrenals and ovaries as well as skin and immune system support with fish oils. My diet was pretty good to start with and I don't really believe that diet directly causes pimples anyway. I know that this is the longer term solution to stopping my acne.
Thanks to the Mia, it's helping treat my acne from the outside and I'm trying to boost my body's internal ability to stave off the acne too.

I must admit that I have been using Differin and Eryacne as well to help speed up the process but that has only been in the last few weeks. I find that they are more penetrating than the Mia but make you sensitive to the sun as I found out today when I went to the beach.

The Mia is very gentle but if you feel raw, best to give the next time a miss. People keep commenting on how luminous my skin looks. When I had great skin previously I was using MD Formulations but there were still big (non-inflamed) bumps on the top of my nose, in between my eyes. I don't have them anymore and my skin is definitely on its way back.

There are different levels of 'harshness' of the bristles. I find that the Delicate is heaps for the face.

I clean my brush with soap after using it to help remove makeup as I don't want to reintroduce bacteria into my skin. I soak the brush head in a solution of hydrogen peroxide (6% v/v) once a week and make sure to dry out the brush head in between uses for the same reason.

Seriously, love love love love love this brush.

From what I'm read, it is easier to use and takes up less space than the original one. The brush heads fit both models so no issue there. The Mia lasts me a week before I have to recharge it (a full charge takes 24 hours) and I use it for 1-2 minutes, twice a day.

I always look forward to coming home coz I know there is a mini facial awaiting me all the time.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/9/2010 10:44:00 AM More reviews by vengland

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using the Mia for a little over a week now, and my skin has improved in texture and appearance. I didn't have serious skin problems previously, but my issues were: very visible/large pores around nose/top of cheek, redness around nose/cheeks, breakouts around hairline, sometimes chin and cheeks. I almost always had at least one red spot (I hate the word pimple!) on my face- usually small, but still very annoying at age 34. After using the Mia for a week, I am pleased to say that I currently have no breakout spots (knock on wood!), my pores are less visible, my redness is reduced and my skin is softer. Is the Clarisonic Mia a miracle worker? No. Does it more effectively clean your skin and allow moisturizers and other products to do their job? I would say most definitely. Note: I bought the brush head for delicate skin.
UPDATE 5/21/10 - I've been using the Mia for over 4 months now, and I'm still really pleased with the improvements I've seen in my skin; I still get occasional breakouts, but not as many as before using the Mia and they clear up *much* faster. I would most definitely repurchase- better skin is worth the money spent!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/7/2010 9:54:00 PM More reviews by 90046

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Just bought this tonight - prolly too early to review - will do another review in 2 weeks or so. BUT, I love how my face feels after using this lil Mia! My rough dry lips are much improved, after just one use.

I had a Dillard's gift card, so I treated myself.
A few weeks ago (when I was stocking up on my Prescriptives before it's all gone forever) the SA used this on me to remove my makeup before she tried a new shade on my face. I loved the demo and thought of buying this since.

I love my Sonicare toothbrush, so I knew this would be for me!

It's like a facial in your bathroom!
More to follow in a few weeks.

Pricey, but hopefully worth the $$$

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2010 9:24:00 AM More reviews by lisa_thejack

Only been using it for 2 weeks twice a day but skin is definitely looking cleaner than ever. Fewer blackheads and reduced size of whiteheads. No noticeable changes in wrinkles or blemishes (yet). Pleasant to use, not abrasive at all. Would recommend and would buy again.
UPDATE - Still using it, still works, still love it!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/6/2010 3:50:00 PM More reviews by gdriban

I agree with other reviewers who say that if your skin is already in good condition, the clarisonic will not dramatically improve your skin. I already have a good regimen of cleansing, exfoliating (AHA) and use a retin A product so my skin is already great. I do not wear foundation only a light dusting of powder over sunscreen. I do not think this is a bad product for the right person. I think if your skin is troubled and you wear a lot of makeup this would be great. I am glad I tried it but it wasn't for me. I'll stick with what is working for my skin! My dermatologist said to steer clear of the clarisonic. She said she has been seeing more and more patients with broken capillaries and over-drying due to the clarisonic. If it works for you, great--just be aware!

23 out of 29 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2010 3:12:00 AM More reviews by Carmen314

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

http://i46.tinypic.com/i1cvwo.jpg STARTING

http://i50.tinypic.com/nq330y.jpg 12 DAYS OF USE

****I posted two pics above the first pic is the day before i started using the brush and the 2nd link is 12 days into use. In BOTH pics I have on makeup but u can still clearly see the difference, My skin care products and regimen have remained exactly the same...the only difference has been use of the brush****

I had tried EVERYTHING on my skin and was getting extremely frustrated, I'm 26 and didn't understand why i was still getting severe breakouts b/c i take very good care of my skin. I heard about the Clarisonic but didn't get it b/c it is a little pricey so i got the Mia for Christmas and can honestly say if I would have known the difference it would of made in my skin I would of purchased it a long time ago. It really is an investment. I wouldnt get the original clarisonic it seems pretty big for the face I think the size of the Mia is perfect. Needless to say I don't think washing my face w/o the brush will ever feel good enough again...it makes my face feel SOOO much cleaner and removes every speck of makeup. I would DEFINITELY recommend this brush and if I had to repurchase I would.

54 out of 54 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/4/2010 6:06:00 PM More reviews by pandabear322

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I think I had really high expectations for the Mia. I love this product, but it's not a miracle worker. After watching Blair and Elle rave about this on youtube, I did my research. I saved up for it for 6 months, and finally splurged my Christmas money on it about a week ago. Like I said, it's not a miracle worker. After using it the first time I was a little bummed. I half expected my face to look clear and smooth after one use. But it didn't, and wasn't. My face was red, and still a tad broken out. I was a bit concerned the redness was a bad sign, but decided to give it a better try. I broke out. Not terribly, but I assume its because it is getting the toxins out, and right now, the breakout is dying, with clear skin taking it's place, so I'm not worried about that.

For the first 3-4 days, I was using the cleanser that came with it. (can't think of the name!) Twice a day, and then I decided I didn't like their cleanser. I started using Purity Made Simply by philosophy, and WOW, my face is looking and feeling amazing!

I use Purity Made Simple (philosophy) with the Mia, followed by the Gel moisturizer from Clinique for Oily Skin, and my face is getting better and better every day.

I must say, the Mia really does get ALL your makeup off in the first try! I've tested it, where I wash it first with my cleanser, and of course, the brush is filthy from makeup, but after rinsing the head, and washing my face again, there is literally NO dirt on the brush head! That is simply amazing! With a regular cleanser, you'd have to wash your face twice to get the same clean (with twice as much product, I might add). Once to get makeup off, and twice to clean your skin!

I love its small design, and the charger is great, so very compact!

Overall I feel it was a good investment in my skin's future.

--------------------
EDIT: 1/9/10
After about 2 whole weeks of using the Mia, my skin is simply to-die-for. It is insanely smooth and clear!! I am a little concerned twice a day is a bit too much for my skin, as it has started to sting after using in the morning. Questioning whether it is my cleansing routine, or the over usage. I've also started using Clinique's 3-step program with the Mia. I still use Purity at night (to take makeup off), then Clinique to clean my acne spots. My skin is SO, SO, SO smooth and soft!! I can't stop touching it! [which will only make the acne worse, I know =) ]

Definitely recommend this product!!

-------------------------
EDIT 1/19/10

I'm returning it. My face is breaking out. At first, I thought it was getting the impurities out, and then my skin was pretty good for a while, but then it got dry. Very dry. And with oily skin, drying it out completely has an adverse affect. Now I'm broken out terribly. The best advice I can give is to buy it at Sephora. They will let you return it. Some people LOVE it, and some people don't like it. I loved it, but my skin did not.

I'm very sad.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2010 9:21:00 AM More reviews by KRaya

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Is it that I am too critical, or is my skin so much different from everyone else's? I have been using the Mia for about two weeks now. While I like the idea of my skin being super-clean, I can't say that it's really made an improvement in the appearance of my skin.

To be honest, my skin is on the dry side. I don't know if it's my skin or the fact that it's winter, or both, but my skin actually seems to have more fine lines since I started using the Mia. Last night, when I went to use it, there was a slight stinging, as though my skin is being "over-worked". I think the brush action is too much for my skin. I wish it was as miraculous for me as it seems to be for all the other reviewers here. I'm so glad I can send it back, since it's so pricey. But, it's a good investment if it works for you. I think I can get comparable results with a microdermabrasion cloth, but without the additional fine lines. I gave it 4 lippies, because it does what it's supposed to do, but I probably won't repurchase due to the additional fine lines.

Update: Couldn't stay away from the Clarisonic. Bought another one from QVC when it was on special with easy pay. I just had laser resurfacing, so I'll have to wait a while to use it, but I got it so my serums and treatments will absorb better. I'll just have to figure out how to use it so my skin won't be irritated.
Update: 04/3/11 - I guess I was going through a phase when I first tried this. I have been using the second one for about a year now and I just love it. I don't use it every night, I usually alternate between this and the retinoid pads from Philosophy. But, all the rave reviews are true!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2010 12:32:00 PM More reviews by terriesingz

I LOVE this product! Takes off every speck of makeup (except eye area- you can't use the brush on your eyes). My face feels so soft and clean after using this. I have used other knock-offs and they just aren't the same. It's not inexpensive, but think about all of the money you spend on other stuff- makeup, skincare ,etc, this product makes all those others work better!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2010 10:10:00 AM More reviews by REE43

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am reviewing the clarisonic mia which I received as a gift purchased from QVC as a special value. It is the baby version as the more expensive original. This is an amazing tool. The idea is that of a sonic care toothbrush but for your face. It is true how you believe you are thoroughly removing makeup but when you use this you realize there is a difference . It feels wonderful on your skin and they give 3 sample cleansers to try. It can be used with any cleanser. I definately see a difference in the tone of my skin as well as how much better my makeup looks. I think that anyone who is having that feeling of their make up just not looking good anymore should consider this. It is also waterproof so can be taken in the shower. There is an automatic 1 minute setting so it shuts off for you. This is a great investment . If your on the fence go for it you will love it!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No