NARS Sheer Glow Foundation

3.7

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethylhexanoin, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Bis-butyldimethicone Polyglyceryl-3, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sodium Glutamate, Sorbitan Sesquiisostearate, 1-Methyl-Hydantoin-2-imide, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Polysilicone-2, Serralysin, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Glucosyl Hesperidin, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Tocopherol, [may contain: titanium dioxide, iron oxides, iron oxides]

on 10/17/2010 4:47:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Like seemingly all the other negative reviewers, I've been eyeballing Sheer Glow for a while, and finally caved in a few weeks ago. I tried Sheer Matte when it also first came out, hated it, and ended up swapping, so I was kind of hesitant with this one. I wish I received a sample to try before I bought it because that would have saved so much of my time. I was matched with Punjab which, surprisingly, turned out to be a perfect match. I've never found a perfect foundation shade... ever, so you could imagine how thrilled I was. After trying it for a few days, though, I couldn't bring myself to like it. The application was all wrong and it made me look so damn cakey. I tried to change the routine using my fingers, different brushes, and other applicators but nothing worked -- still cakey. The foundation wore off in no more than three hours and began to gather around the creases on my face (corners of my nose, my eyelids, my mouth) and I was less than impressed. I have a morning-to-night schedule; this would not suffice. Why I gave it two lippies instead of one: The glorious shade match! If anyone uses Punjab and knows the exact color dupe, please message me! :) Also, it didn't make me break out whatsoever, and with my super sensitive acne-prone skin, this is a feat.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

With almost the whole 'beauty community' going on about how this was an amazing foundation, I wanted to give it a go. I believe this was formulated for those with dry skin...But I found that it made any dry patches look 10x worse. Even dry patches that could not be seen or felt on my skin...This foundation made them show up. I also found it a little difficult to blend. Maybe it is just the brush I'm using that isn't making this foundation as good as it can be?
It's no wonder people with oily skin are loving this foundation.

on 10/15/2010 11:58:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

I bought this product after hearing so many great reviews. Everytime I went to sephora, I would always stare and it and wonder if I needed it. I bought this last week, and was matched with Stromboli. I loved it at first, but then I realized it made my face look really dull and lifeless. This foundation definitely does not have the "glow". I wanted a foundation that was semi-matte, but this is definitely a matte foundation. I am normal skin but I have a very oily t-zone, and while it did help control the oil, this foundation made my skin look dry, and I don't have dry skin. This is going back.

on 10/15/2010 11:21:00 AM

I wanted to like this product. I have combination skin and hormonal acne during period. I initially bought Sheer Matte but it was so difficult to apply to evenly. It looked great in photos so i decided to go for Sheer Glow. It applied much more easily. However it sits in my pores...it makes them look larger and shows up every hair on my face. It does actually give ok coverage. However after about 5 or 6 hours its melting off my face. I could live with all this, but my reason this product fails is because it breaks me out really badly. After one day wearing it for 5 hours i will have about 5 new cystic spots. Foundation doesnt normally break me out, so i was disappointed this one did. I urge Nars to make a acne prone, pore reducing foundation for young twenty something year old skin foundation. This was disappointing

Edit June 2011:after using this for longer I grew to really like it. It didnt seem to break me out after. The application was easy and i got used to "sheer" coverage as my skin improved. I like that it has no spf for photos. Still not the best foundation ever and i think i could try out Chanel ones next. But it was nice.

on 10/14/2010 2:22:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Love this foundation. Don't really use foundation anymore and then with all the glowing reviews on this tried it out. I am have medium olive skin (I use Stromboli) and have normal to oily skin with not real issues to cover up. T-zone is oily...

Its getting dry on the east coast so hard to say if I would wear in summer. so far used for nice occasions and it looks great- doesn't fade on me. I have yellow toned skin so love Nars yellowish tones. This foundation is lightweight, noncakey, buildable and looks really good.

I love looking at my skin after putting this on..make me look really polished and makes me feel pretty....

I actually like and prefer the no pump bottle - I like being able to control how much I use - pump products/click pens are designed to use up product faster IMO
Update: I have been using this more and while I still like it I don't think its buildable....which is fine for me but I say this is like tinted moisturizer coverage level. IMO is good for one light layer (I used a sponge). More than that and it looks weird.

on 10/12/2010 8:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This is the only foundation that matches my skin tone. I bought Siberia. This was $42 at Sephora. I bought the primer with spf 20 too which I need since we should always use spf.

pros: sheer (if you want sheer), but buildable. Comes in a variety of shades. not drying (on me anyway). covers well without caking terribly.

cons: pricey. packing isn't great (cap has the matted finish which causes everything to stick to it). cakes a little and causes creasing around my mouth after a smile.

biggest complaint is the price. and i have yet to find a foundation which doesn't cause some caking and creasing.

on 10/12/2010 4:37:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

My great U.S. friend cp'd this for me as Sephora in my area don't carry NARS anymore and I have to drive an hour long to go to another Sephora where they still carry this (but most of the time a lot of items are out of stock). I really like that this blends so nicely, buttery soft and a dream to apply. Doesn't feel heavy at all, really very light on the skin. The reason I gave it 4 lippies instead of 5 is because it really did not give that nice glow to my skin, it is more of a medium coverage with very nice consistency and soft feeling on the skin, but yeah, I am missing the glow. I have tried it with foundaiton primer, moisturizer etc, but it still gives me no glow. And for some reason, I can't understand the finish can be a bit blotchy on my dry skin no matter how much I exfoliate and moisturized my skin prior to applying this. It is not so noticeable, though, I can see it when I look so closely to the mirror. Also, while I like the NARS foundation bottle, am not so fan that it is pumpless. As for the color, am between NC 40-42 in MAC, I choosed the Syracuse in this one, it turn out that it is a bit orange yellow tan on my skintone. It is not horrible looking, as I try to adjust it with a moisturizer, this works well under Philosophy Divine Illumination Cream (yes, my skin is that dry that I even use this cream at day time and can use under make up). I noticed that with the Divine Illumination underneat this foundation the color kinda lighten a bit. Now to repurchasing this? Yes, because I really really like how the consistency and the buttery soft feel on the skin; but, I may have to buy a lighter one, I think in Barcelona the next time.

on 10/11/2010 7:16:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

PROS:
-Doesn't look cakey
-Doesn't look like I'm wearing foundation
-Blends Beautifully

CONS:
-I had a hard time finding my shade, it was either a bit too yellow or white. I'm between Santa Fe and Stromboli.
-There is no pump

Definitely worth the buy!

on 10/10/2010 5:24:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I purchased this product, returned it, and then swapped for it again. The first time, I got Deauville, which was much too yellow on me. I just recently got Mont Blanc, which works much better. I'm pale and neutral-to-cool (usually around NW15) and Mont Blanc is a good match and very easy to blend into my face.

The name of this foundation is somewhat misleading, as it's neither sheer nor really "glowy". I'd call it a medium-coverage foundation and the finish isn't really matte, but it isn't as glowy as MUFE HD is on me. I actually love the finish, as it looks more natural (less mask-like) than most matte foundation, but isn't shiny at all. It also has pretty decent lasting power, though I usually put a finishing powder on top.

My only complaint is that I wish this came with a pump bottle instead of a pour one. And I wish it came in a better range of neutral-to-cool shades. But other than that, this is an all-around good foundation and I will most likely repurchase if I ever run out.

Edited: This was my HG for 2 years, but when my skin became drier I found that it tended to ball up and flake too much even if I moisturized. I chose to not replace, and would recommend it for people whose skin leans combination-oily or normal, not dry.

on 10/8/2010 10:00:00 AM

I bought this foundation after reading all the raves. I got mont blanc, I am quite pale and was matched to this shade. Its a pretty good match, maybe not 100% as I sometimes feel I look a little orange. But the other shades were too yellow.
It goes on quite thick, I would say its a medium coverage. I've read a lot that its a sheer coverage but it really isn't, I would say that Mac Face and Body is sheer coverage and this is heavier than that.
I find it really hard to blend it in. I can see it on my face after I've applied it. I've tried blending with brushes, sponges and my fingers and nothing really seems to work. I can see it on my skin after applying it.
I use a primer before applying, and set with a powder. I find it looks best about 2 hours after applying, when my natural oils have come through and it doesn't look so makeupy. By the end of the day (approx 10 - 12 hours) it has worn off in places, although this isn't too obvious so maybe the colour match is better than I thought! I do have oily skin so not many foundations really last on me, this one stays better than most. Would really benefit from reapplication of powder during the day, but I can't be bothered with that.
For a night out I think its a very good foundation. During the day, maybe not so much, I feel a bit too "made up" when I'm wearing it.
Not an HG but a foundation I will continue to use on that never ending search.

Video Reviews & Tutorials