Philosophy Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

2.8

Water (Aqua), Lauryl Lactate, Behenic Acid, behenoxy Dimethicone, Glyceryl stearate Se, Glycerin, Behenyl Alcohol, Pentaerythrityl Tetracaprylate/Tetracaprate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Benzyl Alcohol, Retinyl Palmitate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Stearic Acid, Panthenol, Beta Glucan, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Xanthan Gum, Triethanolamine, Propylene Glycol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea

on 6/8/2008 11:18:00 PM

Seems to calm my skin and makes it feel very soft.

My face has a love/hate thing going on with this. First off, this is a great fall/winter moisturizer...summer? Not so much. It's June now and I'm noticing that my face is literally an oil pit by the afternoon...ew! So, back it goes in storage until the fall/winter.
Plus, like other reviewers I'm noticing small bumps on my forehead and temples too. I don't understand how Philosophy can say that people with oily skin can use this? Seriously, if your even a bit oily, stay away from this, unless you want to end up with a grease pit on your face by the afternoon. This is def. for normal/dry skin types.

on 6/1/2008 6:20:00 PM

After seeing all the rave reviews on TV and magazines, like so many others did, I took the plunge and purchased HIAJ. I have combination skin, and didn't notice any real positive change in my skin texture or appearance. In fact, I'm pretty sure I got little bumps and flare-ups as a result! Points off for the overwhelming smell, which neither myself or my boyfriend could tolerate. Product also consistently burned my skin upon application, making it essentially a waste of money :( I tried to be optimistic about this product, perhaps it may work for others, but not for me, and as a final note, let me add that I have never had particularly sensitive skin.

on 5/30/2008 2:06:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

HORRIBLE 4 oily skin. i broke out immediately. what a scam. this is SOOOOOOOO oily and full of crap. ewwwwwwww. i used it 4 a week to just "give" it a shot and it took me 3 weeks to fix its craziness. ugh!

on 5/26/2008 8:18:00 PM

It smells awful to me. Also don't like the jar it comes in, it dried out very quickly. I didn't really notice much of a difference in my skin. It felt really greasy and caked on. I don't think I will try this product again.

on 5/26/2008 7:50:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I love Philosophy Hope in a Jar! Before I found this product I skipped moisturizing because every other product I tried would cause me to break out...and I'm not normally a zit-prone person. I'm in my early 30s and really wanted to find a moisturizer to use as part of my daily regiment. I consider my skin 'normal'. I am so glad I found this product...for me, it is the best moisturizer! This was my first Philosophy product, but I am so impressed that I have recently ordered some other Philosophy products and will review once I receive them.

I hate that this comes in a jar. Otherwise, it seems I'm one of the few people around here who really likes it. I use it under my sunscreen in the morning -- it gives me just the right amount of moisture, and seems to even-out my skin's texture a bit. The fragrance doesn't bother me. Maybe I like it because I don't have particularly high expectations when it comes to moisturizers -- as long as it doesn't make me break out, I'm happy. I've been using the Makeup Optional kit for about a year and a half now, with a few additions (sunscreen, Vitamin C powder, Microdelivery Peel 1x a week), and my skin hasn't looked this good since before I hit puberty...so, I'll be sticking with the entire package until it stops working.

I was nervous to try this after reading the MUA reviews, but I finally decided I would just have to make up my own mind, so I ordered the Jump-Starters Kit from Sephora and figured, hey, I can just return it if it sets my skin on fire (which, after reading some of the reviews, almost seemed possible.)
I have dry skin and many of the complaints seemed to be that it was greasy - I noticed the reviews were much higher from reviewers who share my skin type, so that was what swayed my decision.
The verdict - I don't hate it, but so far it's not my HG. I've been using it for three weeks now at night and my skin is smooth and dewy. It soaks right into my skin and the moisture balance is awesome - I don't wake up oily at all. The smell is not a problem for me - I hate super-perfumey smells, and this is a mild, medicinal smell that fades - my boyfriend doesn't mind it either.
But, during this last week, my cheeks are starting to get a little blotchy. Not breaking out, exactly - but blotchy. I have had a few zits, too - nothing major, but more than normal for me. Bear in mind that I have also been using the purity cleanser and the Hope is Not Enough SPF, but I am pretty sure it is the HIAJ. I know there are people who subscribe to the "purging" theory when you try new products - I think that is only possible if you have zits that were already developing underneath the skin beforehand - otherwise, new products should not cause breakouts. I'm still giving it a three because it does soak in beautifully and my skin is baby-smooth.
Edit - I cut out the HIAJ and my skin stopped breaking out, so I am pretty sure this was the culprit. I still really love the Purity cleanser and the Hope is Not Enough SPF, but I am on to Skinceuticals now for treatment products and night moisturizer.

on 5/22/2008 3:27:00 PM

I really wanted to Love this as much as all of the other philosophy stuff I've been using, but this just doesn't do it for me. The consistency is too watery... But it doesn't burn my eyes, have an unpleasant smell, or irritate my skin, so those are all plusses! Maybe it's meant for AM use under an spf or foundation. I use it at night and it's just not enough, in my opinion.

on 5/21/2008 2:37:00 PM

I did not find this very helpful...a rep @ Sephora reccommended this to me, it made my skin blotchy and my makeup would stick in patches...my face looked awful! Took awhile for it to get back to normal :(

Popular Moisturizers