October 24, 2014 | 910 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2007 More reviews by SuzyCutie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I got Painterly in a swap and was very excited to try it. I use bare canvas all the time as a base,and I thought this would be a good option as well. The shade is rather "meh."It doesn't show up well and I'm fair skinned (NC20).I found a WONDERFUL use for it though,and that is to tone down pigmented lips! I've been using my last VS pleasingly plump lip enhancer and I know it will come to an end,so I will definitely repurchase Painterly for that purpose.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2007 3:12:00 PM More reviews by charb3

Just a great eye base for shadow. Matte and excellent for making the shadow stay longer, or brightening the eye.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2007 6:23:00 PM More reviews by LauraG

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am not a fan of paints, they are too shimmery for my tastes, but I had to try the new paint pots. I use Painterly as a base and it is wonderful. Great matte finish, no creasing after 12 hours and no "crepey" eyes like the regular paints. I love the packaging since there is no waste, a big improvement over the paint tubes. Good job MAC

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2007 4:16:00 AM More reviews by littlelamb

A beautiful creamy e/s which really brightens up my eyes (NC25 skin). Some girls are using this as a base, but I like using it as pale e/s to brighten up my eyes. I apply this with a brush but it's very easy to apply with fingers. It's listed as a matte e/s on Mac's website, but it's actually quite satiny and not at all powdery or chalky - makes my small eyes look naturally bright and wide open. These come in satisfyingly large glass jars (bigger than fluidlines). I'm on the hunt for some more of these...
UPDATE: 5 months on this is drying up pretty quickly and is less easy to apply or blend. Knocking 1 lippie off...shan't be repurchasing.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/28/2007 6:44:00 PM More reviews by HaileyCosmic

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I would give this a 3 1/2 if I could so instead I gave it a 4.
I am not completely sold on the paint pots. The texture is nice and I can get a more even application in less time but I have had creasing. I can use the paint tubes with no creasing. I have very oily lids.
This color is comparable to Bare Canvas. However, I was told by the live MAC chat that Bare study is much closer. For me Bare Canvas is less pale. I never really noticed shimmer in Bare canvas but I guess it has a little where Painterly has none.
I only use paints as a base so I have no idea how this would match up on it's own.
I put that I would buy this again but only if they discontinued the paint tubes
I am NW25 in MAC and LLL on the foundation chart.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2007 8:28:00 AM More reviews by filmart

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I give this product high marks for wear. It goes on smooth, dries to a powdery finish, and it lasts all day on my lids without creasing. I bought this shade as an e/s base, but am a bit disappointed in the color for that purpose. The shade is golder than it appears in the pot, so I will only be able to use it with more rustic fall and winter shadows. If you are pale like me, and looking for a flesh-like shade to brighten the lids (like LM's Linen Eye Basic), you won't find that in Painterly.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2007 12:43:00 AM More reviews by sparklemotion

I love everything about these revamped paints - the little pot, the staying power and the colour, which is the perfect flesh-tone for me and the PERFECT eyeshadow base. I will buy and buy this. Didn't really care for the more pigmented ones like Reubenesque, but Painterly is a total HG

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2007 8:43:00 PM More reviews by lian_qiu

I was so looking forward to this product, coz it has no shimmer, but it turned orange on me. Not bright orange, kinda like oxidizing foundation orange, and I don't look good in this shade. I used it as a base, and no matter what e/s I use on top of this, the orange undertone always shows through and making me look tired. Very disappointed. I gave it a 2 due to the nice texture and easy application.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2007 4:01:00 AM More reviews by fabmac1

I agree with the reviewer below me... this worked better on me than the "bare canvas" MAC paint (which did nothing at all in terms of controlling e/s creasing). I also like the texture of the paint pots more. They are creamy and smooth. It managed to keep e/s creasing down for about 10hrs. Painterly is a very nude.. almost a flesh colour. I wouldn't say it's like a concealer colour, b/c I find that it maybe a little too COOL for that (aka grey-ish?) Good product, but packaging (although cute) could use some improvement (eg. for sanitary reasons)

UPDATE - I am upping this to a 5. Awesome stuff!! Extremely versatile colour!!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2007 11:18:00 AM More reviews by amy_forster

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this to use as an e/s base or to use as an overall wash to brighten up my eye area and its absolubtely perfect!!!

I can wear it with or without e/s over the top and I can take it right up to my brows without looking like a drag queen! I keeps my e/s on right the way through a day at work and it stay well on its own.

I was worried it's be like bare canvas paint which just doesn't work on me. Bare canvas seems to be the wrong colour & really, its just not as good as the painterly paint pot!!