November 22, 2014 | 1845 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 4 of 5 on 10/13/2007 4:16:00 PM More reviews by thrpschr

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've gone through three tubes of Bare Canvas and I love it. I usually prefer matte shadows, though, so I was very eager to get my hands on Painterly, as I though it would replace BC as my everyday, nude base shadow/highlighter. Painterly is significantly darker and beiger than BC, though, it's an almost exact match to my skin and doesn't really brighten my eye area at all, so at first I was disappointed.

I have found that it works great as a matte base for other shadows, though, and it still is a great, no make-up kind of neutral on it's own; just rather different from Bare Canvas.

I can also use it as a concealer of sorts, because it's so close to my skin and dries completely matte - when I'm in a hurry, I apply Painterly on undereye shadows, blemishes and unevennesses with my fingertip instead of spending time on applying and Secret Camouflage with a brush, and it blends and wears amazingly well, with a good, natural-looking coverage.

So I will keep buying and using Bare Canvas as a brightening base and highlighter, but if I ever run out (huge amount of product, and I find that I need much less of Painterly than BC to get the result I want) I would repurchase Painterly, too. Both are great products in their own right.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2007 11:48:00 PM More reviews by daisy888

I bought this to use under mauvement pigment, but realized really quickly that it is great under just about anything as a base. It has replaced benefit's fy eye, which i have used for several years but lately was finding that it dried my lids, (aging i guess). Painterly actually is a nicer colour, goes on a very nude, slightly mauvey colour and evens out my lids. Anything i've applied over it has gone on smooth and has lasted the entire day without any issues. And the pot has a generous amount in it... so happy to say after 8 years, i have a new primer for eye shadow!!! Will definitely repurchase this. UPDATE - i had to return this since my eye shadow ended up creasing a few times. I'll be sticking to paint pots with colour and continue to use my benefit fy eye under them.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2007 More reviews by SuzyCutie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I got Painterly in a swap and was very excited to try it. I use bare canvas all the time as a base,and I thought this would be a good option as well. The shade is rather "meh."It doesn't show up well and I'm fair skinned (NC20).I found a WONDERFUL use for it though,and that is to tone down pigmented lips! I've been using my last VS pleasingly plump lip enhancer and I know it will come to an end,so I will definitely repurchase Painterly for that purpose.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2007 3:12:00 PM More reviews by charb3

Just a great eye base for shadow. Matte and excellent for making the shadow stay longer, or brightening the eye.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2007 6:23:00 PM More reviews by LauraG

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am not a fan of paints, they are too shimmery for my tastes, but I had to try the new paint pots. I use Painterly as a base and it is wonderful. Great matte finish, no creasing after 12 hours and no "crepey" eyes like the regular paints. I love the packaging since there is no waste, a big improvement over the paint tubes. Good job MAC

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2007 4:16:00 AM More reviews by littlelamb

A beautiful creamy e/s which really brightens up my eyes (NC25 skin). Some girls are using this as a base, but I like using it as pale e/s to brighten up my eyes. I apply this with a brush but it's very easy to apply with fingers. It's listed as a matte e/s on Mac's website, but it's actually quite satiny and not at all powdery or chalky - makes my small eyes look naturally bright and wide open. These come in satisfyingly large glass jars (bigger than fluidlines). I'm on the hunt for some more of these...
UPDATE: 5 months on this is drying up pretty quickly and is less easy to apply or blend. Knocking 1 lippie off...shan't be repurchasing.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/28/2007 6:44:00 PM More reviews by HaileyCosmic

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I would give this a 3 1/2 if I could so instead I gave it a 4.
I am not completely sold on the paint pots. The texture is nice and I can get a more even application in less time but I have had creasing. I can use the paint tubes with no creasing. I have very oily lids.
This color is comparable to Bare Canvas. However, I was told by the live MAC chat that Bare study is much closer. For me Bare Canvas is less pale. I never really noticed shimmer in Bare canvas but I guess it has a little where Painterly has none.
I only use paints as a base so I have no idea how this would match up on it's own.
I put that I would buy this again but only if they discontinued the paint tubes
I am NW25 in MAC and LLL on the foundation chart.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2007 8:28:00 AM More reviews by filmart

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I give this product high marks for wear. It goes on smooth, dries to a powdery finish, and it lasts all day on my lids without creasing. I bought this shade as an e/s base, but am a bit disappointed in the color for that purpose. The shade is golder than it appears in the pot, so I will only be able to use it with more rustic fall and winter shadows. If you are pale like me, and looking for a flesh-like shade to brighten the lids (like LM's Linen Eye Basic), you won't find that in Painterly.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2007 12:43:00 AM More reviews by sparklemotion

I love everything about these revamped paints - the little pot, the staying power and the colour, which is the perfect flesh-tone for me and the PERFECT eyeshadow base. I will buy and buy this. Didn't really care for the more pigmented ones like Reubenesque, but Painterly is a total HG

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2007 8:43:00 PM More reviews by lian_qiu

I was so looking forward to this product, coz it has no shimmer, but it turned orange on me. Not bright orange, kinda like oxidizing foundation orange, and I don't look good in this shade. I used it as a base, and no matter what e/s I use on top of this, the orange undertone always shows through and making me look tired. Very disappointed. I gave it a 2 due to the nice texture and easy application.