August 1, 2014 | 1224 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2007 1:02:00 PM More reviews by lisa_67

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am hooked on the new Mac Paint Pots. I've been a loyal fan of Mac Paints ever since they were released, and own several shades, but now my loyalties are biased toward the more natural, more sheer Paint Pots. This Paint Pot is closest to the Bare Canvas Paint, and can be used to even out the eye area before applying color. It's also great, in combination with liquid or pencil eyeliner, for a natural or subtle look with a striking lipstick. I love this as an everyday all-over shadow (it gives a natural brightening effect to my blue eyes), as well as a browbone highlighter with a darker shadow on the lid. The Paint Pots are lighter and more sheer than the Paints, which are slightly iridescent and thicker. Unlike some reviewers, I've found the Paint Pots (I have 4 shades) actually LESS likely to crease during the day than the Paints. These seem to set almost to a powder-like consistency once I've applied them with my finger. Only on the most humid days have I had to do a little mid-day smudging with my finger to sort of re-set the shadow on my eyes. I will definitely repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2007 12:01:00 PM More reviews by katmu1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this product to wear as a MLBB color, mostly hoping to hide the visible veining on my eyelids. I am NW15 and this really does serve to conceal the veining and looks extremely natural. I am using this instead of paint in Bare Canvas as I like the creamier texture better. I think the paint pots are really meant to be a cream shadow and not an eyeshadow base. So far, I have found the paint pot to crease less than paint. I will repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2007 1:09:00 PM More reviews by Winthrop44

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have not tried this as a base yet so I won't comment on using it for that purpose. I used it more as a cream shadow, solely to even out the color of my eyelids for a ML(ids)BB look, and for that it worked great on me and still appeared to be there by the end of the day. Looking forward to buying more shades when the rest are released. NC15/Alima N1/dk blonde/green eyes

rated 2 of 5 on 7/27/2007 11:02:00 AM More reviews by fluffycupcakes

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I purchased Painterly as a shadow base after the MA told me that it is water proof and would keep my shadows on all day. Unfortunately that was not the case. Now given I live in 110 degree temps during the summer but this base did not perform as well as UD Primer Potion. It slid right off within 2 hours of applying. FYI, it is flesh colored so I'm not sure it would show up as a shadow on pale skin either. I returned this item. It was $16.50.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2007 6:13:00 PM More reviews by msdi2u

I love this new Paint Pot from MAC, which was released July 20th, 2007, in Nordstrom's Fall Beauty Collection for MAC called: Novel Twist.
Painterly is basically a natural beige color, and it looks exactly like concealer to me. It comes in a pot, exactly like the Fluidlines, except the Paint Pots are 2 grams bigger. I think this is supposed to be MAC paint, although in a pot (jar) instead of a tube. The pot version makes it much easier and neater to apply for me! No messy tube squeezing out too much and wasting the product. You just dip your finger in (or a brush), and apply to your lids. This Paint Pot formula applies much easier than the Paint from a tube, because it is creamier and not as thick. It also doesn't dry as hard on the lid. Unfortunately, the creamier version does not hold up as good as a base for eyeshadows like the tube version does. I have been using this for 3 days now, and I find my eyeshadow creases much quicker with this than it does when I use a MAC (tube) Paint as a base, or my Lumene eye-makeup base under my shadows. Too bad... because I LOVE the packaging of this Paint, I love the easy to spread formula, and I LOVE the color of this Paint! It makes an excellent base under eyeshadows because of the au naturel color. Painterly definitely gives you a "my lids but better" look. I'm tellin' ya... it's just like concealer... except this helps keep my shadows from creasing a little bit longer than concealer does. I would have given this 5 lippies, except I am disappointed that it doesn't keep my e/s from creasing all day (or most of the day) like my Lumene eye-makeup base, or a regular MAC Paint. I would estimate that I get about 5 hours of creaseless wear from this Paint Pot, whereas I get 8 hours or more from a MAC Paint, and sometimes up to 12 hours from Lumene's base. I am hoping this holds up better during colder weather? I am wondering if the hot, humid weather right now (in Jersey) is the cause of this Paint Pot's less than stellar performance. If the weather cools off and I see an improvement in the performance of this Paint Pot as a base, I will definitely come back and update this review. Despite the fact that this has not worked out as an HG base for me, I will still use this, and I might consider purchasing a back-up- since, of course, this is LE.EDIT 08/07/07: Well, true to my word, I've come back to update! I ♥ this product now! I found thru trial and error that if I layer this on just a tad more, I get the same long wear out of this Paint Pot then from the original MAC paints. After I had a few, good, long-wearing runs with this as a base... I went out and bought a back-up! Now, all MAC counters have this as part of the Painterly Collection! Wish they would make these Paint Pots permanent, they really are that good to me! Hands down- the BEST "creme eyeshadow" I've ever used! Only one of its kind that doesn't crease on me. :-) continued >>

25 out of 26 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No