July 30, 2014 | 2042 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Mia

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2009 10:48:00 AM More reviews by gabiinchicago

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Beware if you have sensitive skin: 2x per day will strip your skin!!! I have the delicate brush and use lotion (yes, lotion) to cleanse my face because even though I'm acne-prone, my skin gets oily-dry here in Chicago in the winter...hard to explain, but if it gets too dry, I break out even more. Anyway, after using it 2x/day for about a week, my skin is completely stripped: red, chaffing, almost raw.

I will put it aside until my skin recovers and I'll use it once a day afterward. Like most others, I believe the Clarisonic Mia is a good tool to own, even if you use it less than recommended.

UPDATE: Tried going back to this, but it caused blemishes every time. I'm back to my braun.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 12/19/2009 5:58:00 PM More reviews by Courtney77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This thing is amazing, probably the best product I've ever purchased for my skin!
UPDATE: Initially my skin was very happy, smooth and clear, but after using the MIA for about a month my skin started to become irritated and angry. I ended up with horrible dermatitis...so needless to say I regret purchasing the clarisonic, and now it just sits up in my closet.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2009 9:49:00 AM More reviews by rp1017

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Clarisonic's Mia is an excellent item to own if you want better skin. My face is normally in great shape so Clarisonic is more of a luxury item rather than a necessity for me, but a wonderful item to own nonetheless ...... scrubs leave my face smooth but the Clarisonic goes more deeper and with less irritation and aids in making my skin look even better ...... I recommend the Mia especially if you can score a deal.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2009 9:02:00 PM More reviews by bluemeanie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'd been thinking about buying a Clarisonic for about a year -- since last year's Sephora F&F as a matter of fact. So this year, I took the plunge and bought the Mia during Sephora F&F -- the smaller size, lighter weight, no charger base = no counter clutter, and of course the cheaper price all appealed to me.

My skin sometimes acts sensitive, so I have only used the sensitive (white) brush. I might use the normal (gray) brush after a while on my face, but I'm more likely to use it on rough skin on my body. I use it 1-2x per *week* only. I do OCM for cleansing and I'm pleased with that. I wanted Mia for a combo cleaning/exfoliating treatment. It works great for that. The sensitive brush seems to work well for my skin. I actually run it through 2 1-minute cycles because it feels so good and doesn't irritate my skin. The Classic model beeps to let you know when to switch to the next cleaning zone, and it has 2 speeds -- the Mia does not beep and has only 1 speed. I don't miss the beeps or a second speed (I know, how can you miss what you never had to begin with, right?) Knowing me, I would ignore the zone-change beeps, and I would probably only use one speed anyway. For now, I am even using the Clarisonic Hydro Gel cleanser (or whatever it's called) sample that came free with my purchase. (Note: some people have posted that this cleanser didnt' work for them, broke them out, etc. No adverse affects for me yet; IMO, it's worth trying at least once if you get it for free.) After the first treatment, my skin was so smooth, soft and -- have to say it -- glowing! I was so pleasantly surprised. Now that I've dipped myself into the world of Clarisonic, I would not hesitate to buy another Mia.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2009 2:49:00 PM More reviews by nicky715

The Clarisonic is amaazing! it cleanses everything soooo well
it gets everything offf! plus i noticed smaller pores, n after one week my acne is starting to diminish
veryyyyy recommended for oily skin

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2009 1:09:00 AM More reviews by greentomato10

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I just got this and used it one time. Feels like it's working so far but one thing I wasn't expecting--- the vibration tickles my nose like crazy! I hope I get used to that cuz I'd like to use it on my nose! It REALLY tickles!!!
Update: Been using it a couple weeks now. It doesn't tickle any more, and I love it! Highly recommend it-- my skin looks brighter and my other skin products absorb quickly. Also, the Mia is the perfect size for me-- I can't imagine needing a larger one, so I definitely recommend it as it's cheaper, and lighter, than the original Clarisonic.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/5/2009 11:23:00 AM More reviews by deb2382

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Like a ton of other people, I bought this during the last Sephora F&F sale and so have been using it for a little over a month. I wanted to give it a fair trial before posting.
I have crazy sensitive skin with fairly regular acne. I wear makeup daily, and use Retin-A, so I needed something that would help take the makeup off and help deal with the skin flakiness from Retin-A. Cue the cute pink Clarisonic Mia.
After using it for a week, I had more acne than before, but I persisted (knowing that with my skin it is impossible to tell if my skin is just throwing a fit, or if the product is irritating it). However, a few weeks ago I decided to buy a Delicate brush to replace the Sensitive that came with it - MUCH better. I think the Sensitive brush was too harsh for my skin. So if you are getting irritation, maybe switching to a gentler brush will help (I hate the fact that the brush heads are expensive, but what can you do).
Pros: My skin is smoother than it's ever been. Fantastic at dealing with Retin-A dryness - nothing has done this well in the past (I've been using Retin-A on and off for years). I've noticed a definite improvement in the absorption of my moisturizer too, which also helps with battling the dryness throughout the day. My pores are looking smaller, especially ones on and around my nose.
Cons: Does it cure acne? No. Also it's ridiculously expensive. But that said - it does do what it promises, which is more than I can say for many of my other skincare purchases.
How I use: Once a day, evenings, to take off makeup, and occasionally to spot-treat random dry patches in the morning. I've tried using it different ways for makeup removal, but so far I've been getting the best results by doing a quick rinse with facewash by hand, just to get most of the long wear makeup off, and then using the Clarisonic for a minute to remove the rest. If you use lightweight or powder foundation, it might be fine just to use the Clarisonic without the pre-cleanse step.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2009 7:47:00 PM More reviews by PinkFix

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was so excited to purchase the Mia during the Sephora friends and family sale this year. I've always wanted a Clarisonic and thought the sale would be a perfect time to invest in one. I've been using it now for about 2 months and waited to review it. I'm really upset to say that I'm not that happy with it. Before I go any further, let me say this gadget IS a great little wonder. It is easy and convenient to use and most importantly it DOES clean my skin very well. However, maybe my expectations were too high but the Mia has not been a miracle worker. If anything, it's made keeping up with my skin more difficult. The first week or so, I was floored by how baby soft the Mia made my skin feel. I thought, wow... if this keeps up... this will be life-changing. Starting the second week I began to break out. This kept up for about another week and I chalked it up to the whole "purging" excuse. The break outs died down but then right before my first period while using the Mia, I broke out like I've never broken out before. We're talking deep cystic pimples. I get a pimple or two around my time of the month, but never like this. One of the spots was so bad that I was actually wearing Neosporin because it turned into an open wound! Once the break-out died down, it left scarring. I can easily count about 5 scars on my face from my last period - and my face still isn't completely clear. Since then I've switched to the sensitive brush head to see if that would help. I normally do not have sensitive skin but I thought maybe that could be the problem, but I've seen no real change. Now I'm about to hit that time of the month again and I'm just waiting to see what's going to happen. I'm wondering if I'm still going through the whole "purge" or if the Mia really isn't for me. Also, I've never felt my skin as smooth as it was after the first few days I started using the Mia. I don't get that crazy amazing smooth feel anymore. The only thing it has really helped with has been the blackheads on my nose - they have pretty much disappeared. Other than that, my skin wasn't visibly better because I started using the Mia. I know it's cleaning my skin because when I use a toner, there's pretty much no dirt (whereas before I used the Mia my toner would pick up so much crap)... so... I don't know. I want to love it but it's literally scarring me right now. I think I'm going to give it another month and see what the final verdict is. I might change the cleanser I'm using with it as well. Right now I'm using Ole Henriksen African Red Tea Foaming Cleanser per a Sephora employee who recommended it to use with a Clarisonic. I'll try to remember to come back and update once another month passes.

**UPDATE** It's that time of the month and my face is horribly broken out again. Two cystic spots in addition to 2 other break out areas. Ditched the Ole Henricksen and switched to a Neutrogena foaming cleaner to match my regular cleanser. Will try this combo for a week or so and see how it goes. Might do what the person above me did and also invest in a delicate brush head after already trying the normal and sensitive with no luck. I don't want to give up on the Mia!

**UPDATE 2** So, I switched cleansers like I said and while I think it's working a little better, I got another cystic pimple on my chin 2 days ago and it's no where near my time of the month yet. I miss my clear skin! I'm so over this. I'm switching to just using my Clarisonic on my nose and maybe take it to the rest of my face only once a week. :( I'll see how that goes. continued >>

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2009 8:07:00 PM More reviews by dmchee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love my Clarisonic Mia! I actually look forward to washing my face. I've never tried the cleanser that came with it; I prefer to stick to my usual cleanser (Acne Free purifying cleanser). I use this for 2 minutes twice a day and it doesn't irritate my skin (attached is the sensitive brush). First I wet my skin, then I massage some cleanser into all parts of my face. Then circle around for 1 minute with the brush. Then for an additional minute (push the button again) add water while using the brush to wash off the cleanser at the same time. My skin feels smoother after every use. I no longer get those dry flakes when I spread foundation. I have very acne-prone skin and did not experience the "purging" phenomenon. I always get those large, painful cystic pimples right before my period, but this month I only got 2 very small red bumps that went away in half a day (I kid you not!!). My pores look more shallow (less defined). This is definately a good investment and I never forget or intentionally leave out my Clarisonic in my morning or nighttime regiment. For reference, I have really oily, acne-prone skin; and while this had no affect on the oiliness, I'd say, for now (using this for 3 weeks only), that the twice-daily exfoliation from Clarisonic has improved my acne situation. Should also point out that the brush bristles are non-porous and resistant to bacteria so you don't have to worry about the brush contaminating your skin. Get this now.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2009 6:22:00 AM More reviews by angelofmusic246

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I love this! I waited almost a year to buy it and I don't regret it at all. It makes my face so soft and clean. I have oily skin and sometimes (I know it's bad but it happens) I'd forget to wash my face, the next day I'd be a grease ball. That's not the case anymore after using the Clarisonic! It definitely has been managing the oils on my skin.

I preferred getting the Mia over the regular Clarisonic because it's smaller, does the same job, and is super cute! It's about the length of my hand (~7 inches) and is definitely travel friendly. Even though it's pretty pricey (in my opinion), think of it as an investment. It is supposed to last you for years and if you use it every day (I use it 1-2 times) it pays for itself.

Awesome product!