December 20, 2014 | 1581 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Glow Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2010 12:39:00 PM More reviews by kellypi07

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been hearing a LOT of good things about this foundation. So I just had to try it for myself. I was skeptical of buying it because even though it says it's for Normal to Dry skin types, many people with oily skin have been saying it's great for them. I have combination skin, so I wasn't sure if it would look good since I do have some dry areas. I absolutely LOOOOVE this foundation! I use this foundation right after I cleanse, exfoliate, moisturize, and prime my face. It does exactly what the bottle says. It gives a nice sheer glow. (a lot of people think the sheer in the name means the coverage is sheer. They're wrong, it means the glow is sheer) I'm 17, so I never really used foundation to begin with up until last year, and I wanted to find the perfect foundation, and this is it for me! It's my holy grail foundation. I've gotten compliments on my face as well. It doesn't look like you have foundation on, nor does it feel like you have any on. It looks really natural.

Before this foundation I was using MAC studio fix fluid, which was amazing but I broke out from it. If you liked the finish of studio fix fluid, but broke out from it, I definitely recommend NARS sheer glow :)

However, there are two down sides to this foundation.
1. No pump. I mean, you can buy one for $6 but if I'm paying $42 to begin with I should be getting a pump!
2. It's verrrry diffictult to find your shade (at least for me it was). Sephora does not carry all of the shades. I did tons of research to see what my MAC NW20 would be in NARS. I finally found out it was Santa Fe... perfect match!

I do suggest that if you are going to buy this to go to Sephora and swatch yourself, don't let the MA swatch you because most of the time, in my experience, they never match correctly.. they're always off by a few shades. OR you can go to an actual NARS counter and have the NARS MA swatch you.

All in all, this is a great foundation. It's good for Normal - Combination - Oily skin types I'd say. This foundation doesn't apply well to dry areas.

PROS:
- Light weight
- Great coverage
- A little goes a long way
- Natural looking
- A nice sheer glow

CONS:
- No pump.
- Shade selection is poor (in my opinion. most of their shades have yellow undertones, so it's hard to find your shade if you have pink undertones)

rated 3 of 5 on 8/18/2010 2:21:00 AM More reviews by kikabanana

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have read many rave reviews about the NARS Sheer Glow foundation so I ran over to Sephora to get matched and get a sample before committing to it. There was a bit of trouble for me to get matched but in the end Sante Fe matched perfectly (it is one of the few shades with an ivory base). It's a good thing that I only got a sample because although this may be a great foundation for some it definitely does not work with my skin. From afar, it gives me a flawless look that I am quite happy with (who wouldn't be?!). However, up close it looks chalky and dry on my face even though I prepped my face with moisturizer/primer (i've tried both) beforehand. I think that the problem may be that I have dry to very dry skin and it appears that this foundation does not work with it. Plus there was absolutely no glow (it came out quite matte on me). I think that a better alternative for dry skin is the Bobbi Brown Luminous Moisturizing Foundation (It has never failed me).

rated 4 of 5 on 8/17/2010 8:23:00 PM More reviews by arianaivette

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

After hearing rave after rave on this product I had to give it a try. I went down to Sephora and was matched with Ceylon which was an almost perfect match to my skin tone. I don't really have a problem with the fact it doesn't have a pump, I'd be nice but I could live with it. The first time I used the foundation I wasn't all that impressed. It felt smooth but didn't spread evenly and it was making all my dry spots look super flaky. I tried it after with my Sonia Kashuk flat brush and it made SUCH a difference. It's medium to full, very buildable coverage and makes you skin look satin soft and flawless. I love everything about this foundation except for the price, I paid $40 for one ounce. I also have the Neutrogena Healthy Skin foundation, which has been compared to this but doesn't really compare. The Neutrogena is ok, but the Sheer Glow is awsome so I guess you get what you pay for.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2010 2:59:00 AM More reviews by ElleK7

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I used Nars Sheer Glow Foundation in Barcelona(I'm NC25-30) I would probably suggest that color to people who have a little bit of a tan.
Anyways, and it gives me a beautiful glow. It's very easy to apply with my Mac 109 brush, and I would say the coverage is medium. The only issue I have is that I tend to get an oily t-zone so sometimes it makes me look a little too oily, even with powder over it. I do live in Chicago, and it gets pretty humid during summer so I think I may only use this in the winter time or less humid days. I would suggest this foundation to my friends, and if anything you owe it to yourself to get a sample at Sephora and try this foundation out! : )

rated 3 of 5 on 8/16/2010 7:46:00 PM More reviews by nygrlnca

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have oily skin with huge pores and I tried this because of all the rave reviews. I was matched to Syracuse which is probably the best match I have ever had (compared to MAC and Bobbi Brown)! I had the MUA put this on one side of my face and the other with the sheer matte. I walked around the mall for a few hours to see how each turned out. Both looked great but I did notice that this sank into my pores which made them more noticeable and seemed to be a tad bit shiny. The matte side looked a little more smoother and softer. It has better coverage than Bobbi Brown's Natural Finish but it doesn't have SPF or a pump :(

rated 4 of 5 on 8/16/2010 4:48:00 PM More reviews by Deliriumphenomena

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

this girl who recommended me my perfect shade incorrectly recommended me sycruse. It was actually my fault because I had a tan when I went to purchase it but ive been told that the shade that will match my skin tone would be either Barcelona or Stromboli. However, whilst I am tanned sycruse looks really good. I cant even feel it on my skin and it looks natural. Before using nars i tried a lot of different brands, but this product is one of the best.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2010 11:15:00 PM More reviews by Maripabli

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I could not have been more wrong about this!! A while back when I tried this foundation out for the first time I hated it! I have dry, sensitive skin and thought that for a product targeted towards a dry skin type that it was not very moisturizing at all. Well, if there are any girls here that think this, I have to say I take it back. I initially did like about this foundation that it did not break me out and now that I am trying it out for the second time I feel the same way. However, the first time I tried this, my skin care routine was different and it did not hydrate my dry skin as well as the one I use now. After reading Mario Dedivanovic s blog (Kik K makeup artist), he said something about using a very emollient moisturizer on Kim before applying foundations like the Nars Sheer Glow or MUFE HD. And that got me thinking that maybe the problem I had with the Sheer Glow was not foundation but the moisturizer I was using (clinique dramatically dif moisturizing lotion). So I bought it again in the shade Barcelona and it turns out my suspicion was correct!! It looks amazing on my skin now and does not emphasize any dryness at all. It stays looking very luminous all day long. It has a satin finish and I would say that depending on the application method you can get light-medium to medium-full coverage. All in all, I am pleasantly surprised by this and feel very bad for giving it an incredibly bad review on makeupalley the first time I tried it. If you have dry skin and found the same problem I had initially try to use a very hydrating moisturizer like the Kiehls panthenol protein one which is amazing!!! =)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2010 4:03:00 AM More reviews by mochacino

With so many raves regarding this foundation on youtube and some forums, I decided to give it a try. I was matched with the colour Fiji and it was the perfect shade for me. A lot of people find that this shade is too yellow but i have yellow-toned skin so this suits me best. First of all this foundation is marketed for normal-to-dry skin. NARS does have another version of this foundation that suits normal-to-oily skin called Sheer Matte. However, some reviews said that the Sheer Mate formula is rather hard to blend compared to the Sheer Glow. The reviews also said the Sheer Glow seems to have decent oil control that makes it also suitable for slightly oily skin. I have combination-oily skin with some dried acne flakes, so i decided to try Sheer Glow.

First impression was the foundation doesn't have a pump. I prefer foundation with pump just for hygiene reason. The texture and coverage was great. It covers all my dark spots from acne very well so i don't need to put concealer on top. The texture was creamy enough so it is easy to blend. I use my MAC 187 brush to apply this foundation. I also like the glowy finish of this foundation which makes my skin looks healthy especially during the winter months. Note that i didn't put any primer prior to the application, just a normal moisturizer underneath. It lasts on me for approximately half a day before i need to blot my face. I find it best not to put powder on top of this foundation, especially if you have dried acne flakes like me. It accentuates the dried skin when you put powder with this foundation. Plus the powder will mattify the finish of this foundation which is not what I'm after. It looks more natural by itself, just like ur second skin.

Ooh, and so far I haven't experience any break-outs with this foundation. LOVE IT!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2010 9:41:00 PM More reviews by fustyluggz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I wear Deauville (NW20 for reference), which matches better than any other liquid foundation I've used. I have been using this daily for about a month now and it's really the best liquid foundation that I've used. It glides on the skin easily and it is well pigmented so I don't have to use a ton of it. I *hate* foundation that feels (and looks) caky and heavy on the skin. With this my skin really does look and feel softer with no caking at all. The only real problem that I have is that I have very oily skin and this doesn't last long on me. After a few hours I'm really just an oily mess where foundation once was. This disappoints me because I wanted this to be HG. The price tag is hefty at $42 and I like it but I don't absolutely 100% love it so I can't justify purchasing it again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2010 5:24:00 PM More reviews by PurpleCupcake87

Another beautful foundation tht I cannot wear ): I broke out all along my jaw line, then again I have sensitive skin. Looked flawless in pictures and lasts all day. Wore it to santa cruz and it held up nicely through the heat. I'm nc 30 and I was matched with stromboli