December 21, 2014 | 850 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2008 11:03:00 PM More reviews by aastew

Pros: I like the texture of the moisterizer....really, really creamy. It feels good to put on. I didn't notice any bad smell like other reviewers. I liked it. It gave a nice glow to my skin.
Cons: After a few weeks it made my skin break out. I had little pimples around my nose and on the front of my cheeks..I had to discontinue use.

I will go back to the oil of olay moisterizer...never makes my skin break out and sinks in well~not greasy.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/12/2008 10:53:00 PM More reviews by bitsits

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I had really high hopes for this and bought the small $15 jar from Sephora. I have dry, eczema-prone skin, and after several uses, I had visible bumps all over my face that itched like mad. It took about a week for it to clear up after I stopped using it.

I was really dissappointed, but when I complained to Philosophy, they were really helpful and sent me the large $40 jar of the dry skin version to try. Which was not bad, but not worth $40 IMO. It didn't make my skin break out the way the lactic acid version did but I didn't think it was anything special.

So the moral of the story is: If you're really unhappy, complain (politely). The only reason it has lippies at all is because of the customre service on their part.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/12/2008 5:29:00 AM More reviews by sueyellowjam

Got this in a small jar together with other skin care products from Philosophy as a gift. I didn't like it. I didn't find it particularly moisturizing, or better than what I was using before. It left my T-zone a bit oilier than usual. The smell was AWFUL, mind you. I like products without fragrances. I can tolerate some smell but this was just simply extreme. I felt like it I was in a hospital and putting on some medicinic cream when using it. The packaging was ok, although after sometime the text on the bottle sort of "melted away". I found out later that when you touched the jar when there's still some trace of the cream on your fingers, which is normal since you were just using it with your fingers, you slowly wipe the text away. This happens to all the bottles and jars I got from Philosophy from the gift set. I won't buy this again, there're better things out there.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/11/2008 7:32:00 AM More reviews by Luirei

This product was light and moisturizing. However, I HATE the smell, it is awful! I would use it at night time and I would have to wake up in the middle of the night and wash my face because I couldn't stand smelling it! But, if you can stand the smell, you should definitely give it a try.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/10/2008 2:46:00 PM More reviews by petit_ami

This was pretty good for my combination skin. It did not leave a greasy film, but if you have dry skin this would be way too light for you. It has a smell that I can live with but I would not purchase again because of it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2008 1:14:00 AM More reviews by aline26

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

i have to mention before saying anything else about this product that i absolutely HATE the smell... it smells like someone tried to cover up the stench of wet dog with lavendar...

but... on the other hand... it has worked very well with my combination skin.. i was a bit skeptical about this at first after reading all the reviews about it here... but so far i havent broken out like crazy *knock on wood*.. im glad i bought the $15 jar... ill probably buy another smaller size jar and continue to use it before i can make a final judgement

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2008 12:49:00 PM More reviews by Ruby2003

I was dazzled by all the rave reviews this got And how prominently it was featured in magazines & by Sephora. I purchased my first jar and thought it worked okay…nothing special. Maybe it takes time to reform my skin so I bought my second jar, and now I am on to my third jar and its still not living up to my expectations. For the price I am sure there is something better out there. I found this to be a thin, light moisturizer with no special qualities. I hate the jar as I find them to be incovenient at best and unsanitary overall. Def will not be getting sucked in for a fourth jar of this. ***My opinion of this stuff just gets worse. I pulled it out for summer thinking it was a "lighter moisturizer" and realized that it didn't absolutely nothing for me. Tossing it so I don't try it again :(

rated 1 of 5 on 4/7/2008 12:38:00 PM More reviews by clor_84

With a sensitive skin type, this product made my face burn and itch after five minutes. On the second day of using this, my face started getting red bumps. Absolutely not recommended for sensitive skin. The smell is also very nasty. Get a sample before you even think about buying or you'll have wasted your time and money.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/5/2008 3:32:00 AM More reviews by mchlle8

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm addicted to this moisturizer. My skin is naturally very oily and acne prone, but this product actually makes my skin look less shiny and smoother in texture. And I get that glow effect that others talk about. Unfortunately, the cream is quite expensive and a bit smelly. I still buy it anyway...

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2008 12:08:00 PM More reviews by Xuxa13

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I hit 31 a couple weeks back and figured it was time for a more serious night-time moisturizer. I decided to give this a try, although the price made me cringe... and I don't regret it at all! My skin is smoother and unbelievably radiant! I've even gone without m/u a few times since using it. Some drawbacks: 1) that SMELL - it's like plastic celery or something 2) don't like the unsanitary dip-your-finger-in-the-pot container 3) no SPF. These are pretty minor things, though, considering the amazing results. Would definintely repurchase.