Philosophy Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

2.8

Water (Aqua), Lauryl Lactate, Behenic Acid, behenoxy Dimethicone, Glyceryl stearate Se, Glycerin, Behenyl Alcohol, Pentaerythrityl Tetracaprylate/Tetracaprate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Benzyl Alcohol, Retinyl Palmitate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Stearic Acid, Panthenol, Beta Glucan, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Xanthan Gum, Triethanolamine, Propylene Glycol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea

on 5/14/2008 9:22:00 PM

I just had to give this a try! I was looking for any "skin regenerating" -type of lotions (since I'm no longer a young'un *sigh*) and bought this not really knowing how my sensitive, combination skin would handle it. I was mainly going by the wonderful reputation of the Philosophy brand. Here's my take on it:

PROS
This stuff was like a moisture surge on my skin! It helped the tops of my dry cheeks and "puffed out" the fine lines. A little goes a long, long way.

CONS (unfortunatley, cons outweigh the pros)
This stuff just did not sink into my skin. Sure, it made my cheeks nice and smooth but on the rest of my face, it just felt like it was sitting there. It was weird because my face wasn't shiny, but it felt like there was a layer of oil on it! I could not use this during the day because it felt so bad. I used it as a night cream, but....it smells so bad!!! I had to go to sleep with this awful stench filling my nostrils. I've worked in hospitals and research labs and nothing- nothing!- smells this bad.

Conclusions- Not worth it for me. Too heavy and icky feeling touse during the day, and too smelling and distressing to be used as a "comforting" night cream. It helped end my dry skin but there's other, better smelling, less greasy-feeling alternatives out there.

on 5/14/2008 7:32:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This product was way too moisturizing for my oily skin. However, the cream itself was nice. I liked it. The smell was different, its hard to describe, but I came to like it. It absorbed into my skin pretty quickly, and I like the light texture of it. Overall a good cream I think, but just not for me.

on 5/13/2008 10:06:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Okay, I bought this b/c I heard so much great stuff about this but oh noooo...this is NOT the product for me. I have extremely oily skin that's acne prone and it's pretty sensitive, so I used this sparingly. The first time I used it, it felt like it was burning my skin OFF. My eyes started watering and then I got a whiff of that acrid smell and I was seriously regretting my purchase! But I used it for about a week, and I noticed that right after I applied it night, my skin did look much healthier, clearer, and more radiant. But in the mornings, my skin was back to normal. And then after a week I started getting all this painful cystic acne pimples, so I gave it to my best friend. She was in love with it for about a week too, and then quickly fell out of it for the same reason. This was definitely not for me.

on 5/12/2008 1:59:00 PM

I have heard raves about this product for years, so I finally decided to try it. (Plus, my best friend loves it too, it's her "stand by" moisturizer." ) I opened the jar and my immediate thought was, "ew, that smells like frozen pizza!" I don't know what that smell it is, but it's gross. Anyway, I use it, and I like it the product a lot, but the smell is really horrible. I would have given it a 3 overall rating, but the smell knocks it down.

on 5/11/2008 6:40:00 PM

i have 'average' skin. nothing has ever made me break out, except for philosophy products. i contacted them to request a refund (and i would send the products back) they did not refund my money and were really just awful over it. i hated the products, but i hated the 'customer service' more!

on 5/11/2008 1:30:00 PM

I didn't find this stuff greasy. In fact I'd be using it as my daily moisturizer if it didn't smell sooo sooo BAD. The smell makes me nauseous. It's almost like lavender mixed with a licorice scent. I will definitely not be using this! It's just too bad the smell is horrible because it's hard to find a moisturizer for my sensitive skin that doesn't make me break out!

on 5/4/2008 4:44:00 PM

This is a great moisturizer for my sometimes-dry skin.

I only use it at night or if I'm at home, though, because it is a bit heavy/greasy.

I don't wear it under makeup for that reason.

I used it on some sensitive sore patches on my nose and chin when I had a cold and it was quite soothing.

The smell doesn't bother me, but it is unusual.

The jar is really easy to get into - nothing will be wasted.

on 5/1/2008 7:11:00 PM

I really wanted this product to work, but the smell was AWFUL!!! I tried to tolerate it, but by the 4th or 5th night, it made me want to throw up!

on 4/29/2008 5:45:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

here is the one thing i don't like about this moisturizer: it is so NOT for all skin types despite what it claims on the packaging. besides the fact that i don't think a universally efficacious moisturizer exists (hence the miserable search for the perfect one, but i digress), the scheme worked on me & i was sucked in to buying it.

thing is, it worked great for about two months. my sister came to visit me at school, borrowed some, & then even bought her own. when i came home from school (where it was pretty dry), i started to break out all of a sudden. my skin continued to break out gradually more & HIAJ stopped performing. it couldn't handle my aggravated skin.

i switched to a moisturizer that was actually for my skin type (normal to dry) & my skin felt so much better. too bad b/c i'd finally gotten used to the smell, & i was on my second--also known as my last--tub.

the reason i did give this a 3 is b/c when it worked, it really worked. i should probably be more bitter, but when i was using this (for whatever reason, there are probably a lot), my skin was at its best.

on 4/29/2008 5:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

after hearing about this forever and watching demos of it on QVC for years, i decided to try it. first of all, i was shocked by how GREASY it was, when i opened up my sealed jar there was actual watery, greasy liquid sitting on the surface of the cream. so i stirred it up and applied, and once again i couldn't believe how greasy it felt on my skin! and believe me, i didn't use a lot, either. it did eventually absorb, but after two nights of using it, my face is COVERED in a red, itchy, bumpy rash. i am infuriated! and reading the reviews, i see i'm not the only one who's skin can't tolerate this product. what the hell is Philosophy doing making a product that irritates the skin of so many of the people who are buying it?! there's always going to be one person who's skin reacts weirdly to a product, but not loads and loads of people who break out in a rash after using it for a few nights. something is definintely wrong here, and Philosophy should quit calling themselves a skincare company until their products work on 99% of people, not 39%.