April 16, 2014 | 1050 users online

Treatments - Biosilk - Silk Therapy

rated 2 of 5 on 2/1/2006 2:20:00 PM More reviews by dazey5

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This goop has been in my rotation since 1995 .. crazy! :) This was the first serum that I ever tried & it did the job but I have since found other products that work much better for me. (Aveda Brilliant Gloss, Chi Silk Infusion, Graham Webb Reparative Shine). Yes I'm a serum addict .. so shoot me! ;)

Things that I don't like about Biosilk:

1) It's too thick & goopy for me, I prefer thinner serums for my fine hair.

2) With prolonged use, it seemed to dry my hair out.

3) Forget 2nd day touch-ups, you'll look like a greaseball.

4) Smooths down frizz & then within 15 minutes my hair poofs back up again.

5) Any added shine is temporary .. just like the frizz, the dullness returns in about 15 minutes.

Things that I like about Biosilk:

1) It makes the hair SO soft to the touch. (But I've found that if I deep condition weekly & use the right S&C, my hair is always soft anyway).

2) The scent .. I find it soothing. (Maybe because this was a staple of mine for so long?)

3) I won't let this stuff touch my hair now but it makes a great shaving gel. :) continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 1/29/2006 10:20:00 PM More reviews by andrews_girl

hey
well this is the best serum i have found yet...
does not weigh my hair down at all... does not make my hair look sticky either... it gets rid of the fly aways along with the frizziness... it doesnt leak out of the bottle either ... a little pricey for hair serum but trust me THIS STUFF LASTS FOREVER !!...
i got my bottle last JUne.. it is February now and I have more than half the bottle left... and this is using it almost everyday..

i must say you have to be careful... if you over use this product... putting too much in your hair without realizeing it may get build up along your scalp !
other than that this is my favorite hair serum...
i did not give it 5 stars only b/c it doesnt give my hair as much shine as i'd like... other than that a great buy ! really smoothes my hair out ! Quite a good buy !

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2006 11:20:00 PM More reviews by strawberrytaurus

I used to use this as the main product I would put in my hair after I straightened it although I did find it a little greasy. It still works though to tame flyaways and beat frizz and I do like the scent. After awhile I switched to different hair products but I do like the spray that is a version of Biosilk Silk Therapy. It's called Shine On an also by Biosilk. It's just a spray version of Biosilk so it's not too greasy nor does it leave your hands all greasy. It works just as well too (and smells the same) and although it is a spray it's not a hairspray. It is not sticky or clumpy. It's like you're spraying the Silk Therapy onto your hair. Everyone should try it. After using the Silk Therapy for years I started using this and I love it more than the Silk Therapy although I still use the Silk Therapy for days when my hair is extremely frizzy or untame.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/20/2006 4:28:00 PM More reviews by Thumper1972

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm going to preface this review with the fact that I am not currently using Biosilk. There is no doubt that it is a great product for hair though. Since it's an oil, you need to be very careful on the amount that you put in your hair. I have naturally curly (which means dry, too) hair that I straighten on a daily basis. I've tried so many straightening gels and never really found that "HG" for my needs. :o( Biosilk was the closest thing that I found that helped while straightening. Then one day I was in Target and I started to looking at the black hair care section and found a spray oil. All I can say is that I haven't used anything else since! It is called Soft & Beautiful Botanicals Oil. It is a 6 oz. golden/see thru spray bottle. And it's under $3.00 !!! Target is the only place that I have seen this stuff, but one bottle lasts so long I haven't really been looking lately. This obviously is an oil, too (hense the "Oil" in the name) ;o) So be really, really careful when spritzing your hair. I looked like a greaseball the first time I used it, thankfully I was only going over to my moms house! lol But you get used to it and the amount that you need. I used to apply Catwalk Smooth & Shine (still do, that is a protectant), then whatever straightening gel I was hoping would work, then Joico Brilliantine(sp?)...Now, it's just Catwalk then this oil and voila!! My hair is practically straight after I blow dry, then I use my Sedu flat iron. For under $3, it is SO worth trying. I realize this turned into not really a Biosilk review, but Biosilk is really good, also really expensive. However, if this S&B oil is ever discontinued, I'll go back to the Biosilk. Thanks for reading!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2006 11:47:00 PM More reviews by Shmabby

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

While I wouldnt consider this my HG, I always need to have it at home for when I want it. It makes me giggle that people hate the smell, I liked the comment about the old french whore - I like the smell! :) I'll tell you guys how I use it, it might be helpful. I use it after I've straightened my hair, especially if I've done a lazy job and my hair is still puffy. I put a teensy teensy bit on my hands (like, less than a dime size) and rub it all over my hands so that they are evenly oily. Then I lightly brush the top of my head and run my hands through my hair - not just on top but through. This calms down any puffy-ness and calms the fly aways. I'd rather use less and then see if I need more rather than ending up with a grease-head. You can also use it on your skin so I just rub whatever is left into my skin. It's a great thing to have on hand! I love it!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/17/2006 2:52:00 AM More reviews by mona_mua

not a fan. no matter how small of an amount i use, this stuff leaves my hair extremely oily and gross. i have naturally wavy hair that i sometimes blow dry straight and air dry when i want it wavy. it jsut leaves me a huge greaseball. no thanks for me

rated 4 of 5 on 1/14/2006 4:58:00 PM More reviews by lona

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I can't argue with what this does for my thick, wavy, color-treated hair... other products sort of just disappear into my hair, but this really smooths out the frizz and makes it shine.
I just hate the smell, though- it smells cheap- you can definitely smell the alcohol content. Smells like cheap 1980s hairspray.
I will definitely keep using it because it really does work wonders on my hair, but I wish something could be done about the smell.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2006 4:12:00 PM More reviews by thejadedstar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

First a little bit of background. My hair is long, thick, colortreated, and fine, with an oily scalp to boot! I tend to wear it up a lot, especially for work, which tends to damage it. Send in the Biosilk! A very good friend and hair stylist recommended that I try it, and I haven't looked back since. I get so many compliments when I use the Silk Therapy, regardless of whether I have blowdried or not. I also have purple and pink in my hair, and where other products have actually pulled color out or made the vibrant colors look dull, this product makes it shiny, vibrant and just wonderful to touch. Whether you have died hair or not, I suggest to ANYONE, be they male or female, that they check this product out, especially in these winter months or if you use heat to style your hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2006 2:48:00 PM More reviews by JackieN

Age: Unknown Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I can't live without Biosilk. It makes my hair silky soft and protects it from heat damage. I apply it before blowdryring and before straightening/curling my hair with an iron. I even put it in when I let my hair air-dry, just to tame it some. Ever since I started using Biosilk, I've never had problem with dry hair or splitends again. Plus, it never makes your hair greasy or weighs your hair down like other shine products can. I highly recommend it!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2006 11:18:00 AM More reviews by inycat

This product was recommended by a friend of mine - she has super cute tight natural curls. My hair is slightly wavy and tends towards dry and frizzy. This product leaves my hair feeling soft and silky - it takes care of the frizz and my hair feels smooth and light. It is gentle on your hair and the scent is light and pleasant.

Not exactly cheap but definitely worth it. One bottle will last you forever! The cheap drug-store brands don't even compare (I've tried them all) - I found that similar products from Citre Shine, Infusium, and Pantene left my hair feeling rough or greasy, or didn't do anything at all. I think in the long run you would end up spending about the same amount of money - one bottle of Biosilk lasts and lasts, whereas a lot of the other products I found myself having to purchase again after a month or so.

I wasn't wowed by the packaging...the pop-top cap tends to be a little messy...use caution when dispensing the product - you only need a little and the cap tends to want to dispense more than you need. I'm contemplating transferring the product into some sort of pump bottle.

Overall I'm super happy with this product!