December 21, 2014 | 1776 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Glow Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 9/3/2010 3:43:00 PM More reviews by babypeach7

I love this foundation. I am a nc30 and mix Nars Punjab and Fiji, because Punjab is slightly too dark and orangey on me. It has decent staying power and gives a nice dewy glow. A little goes a long way, so watch out with how much you apply otherwise it can get cakey. I have acne scars and this covers them beautifully. Coverage can be build up.

Handy tip for people that hate the fact it comes without a pump:
I was getting really annoyed by the packaging and the amount of product I wasted, so I tried to fit the pump of my empty Make Up For Ever HD Foundation bottle on the Nars Sheer Glow bottle and it's a perfect fit! I only had to cut the small tube to match the length of the Nars bottle.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/31/2010 11:12:00 AM More reviews by insanity89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

great foundation. i really wish it came with a pump though. i just dab a bit on my face and then blend it in with a brush. i like how you can control the coverage and how much product you use.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2010 7:18:00 AM More reviews by thchocolateluver07

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I don't understand why so many people hate this, i love this foundation so much and i love how you can build it up to hide blemishes. I use the incredible powder brush from ELF, and stipple it on everywhere and i get such a perfect glow to my face it makes be look beautiful when i look in the mirror and i hate having to set it because it takes away my wonderful dewy look but i have oily skin so have to set with powder, and for those of you who have scars or blemishes try to add some extra over your first layer and let it sit for a couple seconds to let it dry up a bit then use your brush and stipple it on a bit more itll do the trick!! I just love this foundation so much, its sad people dont see what i see :(.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/30/2010 2:39:00 PM More reviews by sportylass

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

After reading great reviews on here, I decided to go with the Sheer Glow rather than the Matt Sheer Glow one (I have quite oily skin). When I first bought this, I used the Murad Mattifier with it and it seemed to look really great at first. However, after less than an hour my face looks very shiny (even with a mattifier), so that is the reason I gave it a 3.

I think the coverage is medium and it does look beautiful on people with normal to dry skin, but NOT on combination or oily. I wish my skin could cope with this product, as it feels great on and has a nice finish, but guess I am still looking for my HG!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2010 4:23:00 PM More reviews by MakeUp4Fun

This is a really, really good foundation. It applies like a dream and provides moderate coverage. It does tend to cake up at the end of the day which is why I rate this 4 lippies only. I hate that it doesn't come with a pump. I paid $11 for a pump from nars website ($6+shipping) and it works. BUT the original black cap would NOT close once the pump was screwed in. So my foundation bottle looks like an open bottle on my vanity. And because of that, i cannot carry this with me when I travel. I so so wish that the original black cap will fit over the pump. It will look soo sleek on my vanity! Oh well :( The shade "Santa Fe" is the closest match to Revlon PhotoReady in "004" which is NC25-30.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2010 4:26:00 AM More reviews by SaBay

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

First off, i've tried many foundations from Clarins to Clinique to Dior and this has been my favorite by far! It gives a flawless look if you use a stippling brush, gives a natural finish, and has decent lasting power. My skin is oily and so at the end of the day it can look a bit shiny just around my nose area, and thats only when i use no powder to set it. My only complaint is the packaging, there is no pump, unless you buy one and this foundation is expensive enough as is, without having to purchase your own pump for it. At times i find that it just spills out so i don't like not having that control.
Would i re purchase? YES.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2010 10:02:00 PM More reviews by almighty_curv

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Really wanted to like this but it was an epic fail for me. There is no way this can work for flakey dry skin. It just highlights even little sahara-prone section on my face and only seemed to stay on 2-3 hours even with multiple different attempts at primers, moisturisers and bases in general. I got this in siberia, which is a little too dark and yellow but it does help even out my redness and can be corrected with a good does of powder.

The coverage itself was pretty good, obviously isn't going to cover any hardcore intense cystic pimples or acne.

The glass bottle is pretty but I don't see why it can't come with a pump attached. The price too is a little high but I wouldn't mind so much if it actually worked.

Will keep trying this and will update if it pulls through for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/24/2010 11:29:00 AM More reviews by DeeVine1217

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

For reference, I got matched to shade Barcelona and I'm a 128 in MUFE HD and NC37ish in MAC.

Although it was tad light for me (it would be perfect for the winter months), I could still pull it off and it gave my skin a nice look and feel. The great thing about it was that I could wear it and not have to worry about setting it with powder and it would stay on nicely all day and didn't feel heavy on my skin (I usually just wear MSFN instead of liquid).

The finish is pretty, not super dewy like one would imagine but more of a nearly matte natural finish. If you have oily skin I would stay away because this may not be mattifying enough.

The only downfall is that after a few days of using this foundation in a row (no changes in skincare or anything else), my usually clear complexion started getting bumpy. Please note that my skin isn't considered to be sensitive or anything. I didn't get pimples but my skin had reacted to the foundation somehow and I now had tiny bumps on my face (mainly in the cheek area).

Once I stopped using it, they magically disappeared. So although I really wanted to LOVE this stuff, it just doesn't agree with my skin. Would I purchase again? No. :(

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2010 9:19:00 AM More reviews by Adriana265

First off let me say - it pains me to rewrite this review. Not only because this foundation is so bloody expensive and doesn't work for me, but also because I *really* wanted to love it. For reference, I'm an NC40/42 with golden and a slight olive undertone, normal/combo oily with sensitive skin.

Worst things first: the price and the packaging. This foundation costs £29 for 30ml, which is ridiculous. You are seriously just paying for the brand name more than anything else, but that's life I guess. The bottle doesn't come with a pump unless you purchase it seperately. Nearly £30 for 30ml and they expect you to pay extra for a pump? *Cackles*...the lid of the bottle gets dirty very easily aswell, because it's that standard 'rubbery' texture NARS like to use.

COLOUR RANGE: I picked a colour for myself online, because my local NARS store is miles away. I actually have this foundation in 2 shades (for winter and summer)...I chose Stromboli and Syracuse. I think Stromboli would fit yellow toned NC30-NC35/37 best. Syracuse is a light brown/tan colour with golden tones, which I think would best suit NC40-NC44 depending on your skin undertone. Both colour matches are PERFECT for me depending on the time of year. Many people recommend Barcelona for NC40's, but IMO Barcelona is very...peachy/slightly orangey toned from all the pics I've seen. Anyway, they do a whole load of shades and I'm sure most people will be able to find a decent - if not perfect - match. Try looking at http://karlasugar.net/2009/10/nars-sheer-glow-foundation to try and match yourself!

FORMULA/TEXTURE: Sheer glow is actually designed for dry-normal skin, however, it works fine for my normal/combo oily skin when used ontop of a primer. I think the overly oily people should stay away unless they have a really good oil control primer and good setting powder. It is a hydrating foundation, so my skin never feels dry with this on. The texture is pretty liquidy, feels very lightweight on my skin, blends well because it's so smooth.

COVERAGE: Depending on your method of application, you can have light or medium coverage. Pair with a little concealer and you'll definately be able to reach full coverage! I don't have acne or scars of anything, so I don't need much coverage. I use my fingers for lighter coverage, or a brush (188, 109, flat top kabuki brush...) for more coverage. It's quite buildable and shouldn't leave you looking cakey. Make sure you cleanse/moisturise your face before applying though! It's natural looking whilst covering at the same time. My skin but better.

FINISH: It doesn't leave me looking dewy, but it does give me a slight glow. After 1 or 2 hours of wear, it gives skin a really nice luminosity to it though...that's where the real 'sheer glow' name kicks in! It does look very nice. A real satin-like look.

LONGEVITY: This is another one of my main gripes with this foundation. It does *not* last, and I know it is not my skin being awkward because every other foundation I've ever tried lasts all day. Seriously, it starts fading after about 4 hours ontop or primer and set with powder. W-T-F. DS foundations last 10 times longer for a fraction of the price. I personally do not ever touch up foundations throughout the day, so this is totally unsuitable for me.

IRRITATION: Yes...it breaks me out. Now, I do not have acne, am not particularly prone to breakouts. So for this foundation to break me out must mean there is something nasty in there messing with my poor skin. I get whiteheads whenever I wear this. And don't get me started on the breakout I had when I wore this for 13 hours once...wow, it was like an eruption of pus filled volcanoes ALL OVER my face, yuck. I cleanse very thoroughly with cleansing oil and then a foaming cleanser and then toner, so I do get every trace off. Sigh.

Don't get me wrong - this finish of this foundation is beautiful, the formula is so smooth and blendable, it looks natural...but the price, packaging, crappy lasting power and breakouts have made me run FAR over the hills to get away from sheer glow.

Here's some pictures of me wearing sheer glow:
Full Size Image

Full Size Image

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2010 2:46:00 PM More reviews by Tuts311

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought this foundation after hearing so many raves about it on the Make Up board. Its medium coverage to me and Im Nc15. I bought it in Gobi which is a perfect match for me. I love the texture and finish of this foundation and it makes my skin look very healthy. I use a setting spray and primer and this lasts all day on my oily skin. I am head over heels in love. It is exactly what I have been looking for.