October 31, 2014 | 909 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/29/2008 5:16:00 PM More reviews by Tramrak

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

after hearing about this forever and watching demos of it on QVC for years, i decided to try it. first of all, i was shocked by how GREASY it was, when i opened up my sealed jar there was actual watery, greasy liquid sitting on the surface of the cream. so i stirred it up and applied, and once again i couldn't believe how greasy it felt on my skin! and believe me, i didn't use a lot, either. it did eventually absorb, but after two nights of using it, my face is COVERED in a red, itchy, bumpy rash. i am infuriated! and reading the reviews, i see i'm not the only one who's skin can't tolerate this product. what the hell is Philosophy doing making a product that irritates the skin of so many of the people who are buying it?! there's always going to be one person who's skin reacts weirdly to a product, but not loads and loads of people who break out in a rash after using it for a few nights. something is definintely wrong here, and Philosophy should quit calling themselves a skincare company until their products work on 99% of people, not 39%.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/23/2008 3:26:00 AM More reviews by dhutchens

I have used this off and on for a few years. One jar last a long time for me because of the texture. I only use a little and I actually like the smell. It can make my face burn though so I am looking for something new to try.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/19/2008 1:08:00 PM More reviews by Swiyyah2u

Glad I sampled it before buying it. I heard great things about the product from friends and really wanted to try it.

I used it at night. The smell didn't bother me so much. The packaging was fine. I usually have clean hands when I put on moisturizers. I put it on my skin and night, didn't feel to tight. A little on the greasy side, but so far so good.

I woke up, skin felt normal. Looked in the mirror, skin not so normal. The product made me break out on my cheeks, where I never ever in my life have broken out or gotten a pimple. My pimples / breakouts stick to my forehead.

So this product is a no go for me. I didn't buy it the first time and I never will.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/18/2008 3:22:00 PM More reviews by cristinalia

I received a sample of this product from Sephora and was eager to try it because of all the good reviews. I DO NOT have sensitive skin at all. In fact my skin can take just about any kind of beating from a product, however this cream made my skin break out in a red, itchy rash. The rash was little tiny red bumps all over my face. The only thing that helped was an anti-histamine gel. I called Sephora and they were nice but not much help (said they were going to fill out a report and send it Philosophy), and I also called Philosophy and they were NO HELP at all!! The lady said to keep the sample and we may have to run some tests on it if the rash doesn't go away. She was not in the least bit concerned about me, which I was calling to find out what is in this product that my skin did not like. I will never buy this stuff again!!

Update: I received a follow-up call from Philosophy months later about the report that they received from Sephora. The lady read off a list of things that I might have been allergic to. She sent me some samples to try to find out what I might have been allergic to. In the end I found out I was allergic to the lactic acid in the Hope in a Jar.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2008 3:43:00 PM More reviews by allurexoxo

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The moisturizer was creamy and felt nice and comfortable on my skin. However, I could not stand the awful scent. I would consider using it if it didn't smell bad.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2008 11:03:00 PM More reviews by aastew

Pros: I like the texture of the moisterizer....really, really creamy. It feels good to put on. I didn't notice any bad smell like other reviewers. I liked it. It gave a nice glow to my skin.
Cons: After a few weeks it made my skin break out. I had little pimples around my nose and on the front of my cheeks..I had to discontinue use.

I will go back to the oil of olay moisterizer...never makes my skin break out and sinks in well~not greasy.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/12/2008 10:53:00 PM More reviews by bitsits

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I had really high hopes for this and bought the small $15 jar from Sephora. I have dry, eczema-prone skin, and after several uses, I had visible bumps all over my face that itched like mad. It took about a week for it to clear up after I stopped using it.

I was really dissappointed, but when I complained to Philosophy, they were really helpful and sent me the large $40 jar of the dry skin version to try. Which was not bad, but not worth $40 IMO. It didn't make my skin break out the way the lactic acid version did but I didn't think it was anything special.

So the moral of the story is: If you're really unhappy, complain (politely). The only reason it has lippies at all is because of the customre service on their part.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/12/2008 5:29:00 AM More reviews by sueyellowjam

Got this in a small jar together with other skin care products from Philosophy as a gift. I didn't like it. I didn't find it particularly moisturizing, or better than what I was using before. It left my T-zone a bit oilier than usual. The smell was AWFUL, mind you. I like products without fragrances. I can tolerate some smell but this was just simply extreme. I felt like it I was in a hospital and putting on some medicinic cream when using it. The packaging was ok, although after sometime the text on the bottle sort of "melted away". I found out later that when you touched the jar when there's still some trace of the cream on your fingers, which is normal since you were just using it with your fingers, you slowly wipe the text away. This happens to all the bottles and jars I got from Philosophy from the gift set. I won't buy this again, there're better things out there.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/11/2008 7:32:00 AM More reviews by Luirei

This product was light and moisturizing. However, I HATE the smell, it is awful! I would use it at night time and I would have to wake up in the middle of the night and wash my face because I couldn't stand smelling it! But, if you can stand the smell, you should definitely give it a try.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/10/2008 2:46:00 PM More reviews by petit_ami

This was pretty good for my combination skin. It did not leave a greasy film, but if you have dry skin this would be way too light for you. It has a smell that I can live with but I would not purchase again because of it.