July 24, 2014 | 1741 users online

Moisturizers - Clinique - Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2009 11:08:00 PM More reviews by desertrose08

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

So I bought this because I wanted a lightweight moisturizer and since I have super sensitive skin, I figured Clinique was the way to go, right? NOT. This made my forehead break out into tiny little bumps and I never break out there so I knew that DDMG was to blame.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2009 10:42:00 PM More reviews by bombasticclassic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

this is a no go unless of course you want to ruin your skin... this didnt make me break out like others but it did break down the quality of my skin. skin texture became steadily worse, didn't moisturize enough so my skin got drier and drier in some places and oilier in others to compensate for the dryness. acne scars were building up because this did nothing to help it. it was a disaster. it sounds like rubbish when you're desperate to battle acne and oiliness but the natural way (olive oil, jojoba oil etc) is honestly the best way to go rather than putting clinique's chemicals on your face. like they say, oil dissolves oil. they are so nutrient rich your acne scars will start fading, and your skin will be so moisturized it will stop producing so much damn oil all the time, believe me, i've been through all that.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 4/27/2009 10:34:00 PM More reviews by toutestbien

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used this stuff about a year ago as part of Clinique's 3-step system for skin type IV (very oily, acne-prone). The soap and toner dried out my skin terribly, and this wasn't much relief. I stopped using the other two steps, and used this in conjunction with some facial cleansing wipes my friend recommended -- and I broke out worse than I ever had before. At the time, I blamed the face wipes (I bought them from a grocery store while living in Paris; the ingredients were in French, and I never noted whether or not they were supposed to be hypoallergenic and/or non-comedogenic).

But I bought a 1.7 fl. oz./50 ml tube of DDMG a couple of weeks ago while looking for a good moisturizer, and had the same reaction, this time even worse than before. I'm constantly dealing with minor breakouts, because that's just the way my skin is. But this is huge, red, painful, cystic welts all over my face, and that never ever happens. I've stopped using it, and they're very very slowly starting to shrink. I think I only applied the gel for two or three days, and it's taken two weeks after I stopped using it for me to see a slight change in the horrible acne that it caused.

So, even though I have friends with normal skin who love this stuff, I would not recommend this to anyone with sensitive or acne-prone skin. It will clog your pores like you never thought possible; you'll wake up wondering why you have so many new whiteheads, but you'd never suspect such an innocent-looking moisturizing gel. On the plus side, it didn't leave my skin feeling greasy. But it did leave it feeling like a gravel driveway.

(**I'm no chemist, but I think the dimethicone in this product may be the pore-clogging culprit. Dimethicone is often used in anti-aging products because it serves as a kind of barrier against dirt and toxins that could pollute your skin from the outside. That's all fine and good -- but at the same time, the layer that it forms traps in everything that's already on your skin, like oil and sebum. Even if you wash your face right before you put this on, if you have oily or acne-prone skin your face will still produce sebum underneath, which clogs pores and leads to bad-to-the-bone breakouts. So even though I'm not totally sure, I'm going to stay away from dimethicone; maybe you should try it too.**)

10 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 4/27/2009 2:28:00 AM More reviews by brittany23

made me break out like WHOAH!!!!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2009 3:44:00 PM More reviews by Nkruythoff

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This stuff is supposed to be the best of the best...not for me. I did love the lightweight feeling and it did make my skin feel nice and hydrated, even made my makeup go on smooth. But it made me break out - HORRIBLY.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2009 11:07:00 AM More reviews by brandyalexander

This is a perfect amount of moisturization for my combination skin, especially now that it's getting warmer! I tend to shy away from products which contain mineral oil, such as the Dramitically Different Moisturizing Lotion because it clogs my pores, but this gel is fabulous. It sinks in completely and leaves my skin soft and ready for makeup. I don't mind that this doesn't contain an SPF because I use Clinique's Tinted Moisturizer daily which has SPF 15. Super stuff, comes in a small tube for $12 and change so you don't have to invest a lot of money right off the bat.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/19/2009 1:22:00 AM More reviews by JYCS19

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

Gosh! I really wanted this to work for me. I have oily and acne-prone skin so I thought this would help me with my oily skin. NOPE! I am still blotting my face after about 2 hours. It soaks into the skin and seems matte at first but it fails to provide oil-control as the day goes on. I tried the 3 Step skincare and it was awful! I had #3 and it literally dried up my whole face. My makeup was cracky since this DDMG did NO justice for moisture. Everything about the skincare line #3 was so drying. I am oily so I don't know what's wrong perhaps its because i have dry spots since i use acne medication at night?.

Edit: Since I don't use the clinique 3 step anymore. Using this DDMG alone is much better. There isn't a lot of oil control, but I still the gel texture moisturizer.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2009 11:56:00 PM More reviews by moonchild30

I been using Clinique 3-Step skin care for about a month and I really like the way my skin looks. I do like the way it feels and that it has no smell to it. I think that it is worth it. I have combination skin so I get the dry/combination one. I really like the way it makes your skin have a nice glow to it. This Moisturizing Gel works great, but I would say to get the 3-step skin care.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2009 11:49:00 PM More reviews by AlanaBanana6

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I just LOVE this stuff! I used to use the regular lotion version of this, and was satisfied however I have oily skin. Once they came out with the gel formula I tried it and have used it ever since. It is especially great in the spring/summer because it is so lightweight but does give you just the right amount of moisture. Maybe people with normal skin could try this in the summer, but it is definitely made for oily/combination skin. Two nights a week I do an an aspirin mask and then slather this on and my skin literally glows.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/18/2009 3:50:00 PM More reviews by enchantedbella

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I had a skin type test done at a Clinique counter and was given a sample of this to try. The sample seemed to work ok so I bought the full size version from Strawberrynet, as Clinique is quite expensive in Australia. It worked ok for about a month, but then I noticed my forehead had some flakey skin. Over the next fortnight the flakeyness got worse and worse, and the moisteriser did not do a thing to stop it. In the end I realised the moisteriser was the problem - I have dry skin but for some reason the sales assistant at Clinque thought the light gel moisteriser was right for me but it actually dried out my skin completely. I went back to the Clinque counter for a second skin test and received a completely different result with different product recomendations - this time for oily skin! For a third opinion I did the skin test online at the Clinique website and received yet another different result with different recommendations. I have decided to stay away from Clinque products from now on, they can't decide what's best for my skin, let alone tell me my correct skin type so I won't waste more money gambling on their products.