BeneFit Cosmetics High Beam

4.1

on 5/25/2008 8:48:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

One of my HG products, simply because it can be used in so many ways - highlighter, eyecream, even over lippie for a shimmery glow.
The trick with Highbeam is to apply it before powder. I have found that a very light dusting of powder over it is ok, but you have to be quite careful or the glow effect will be lost.
This stuff is probably best suited to pale-medium skin tones . I have a cool toned skin colour but this isnt a problem with HighBeam as it has a very neutral colour base.
If used as eyeshadow/cream it can go into the eye crease after an hour or so, but i just run my finger across the crease and it's good to go again! The highlighting effect on the eyes is definately worth it, and even though it is shimmer, it doesnt show up wrinkly lids like most shimmery powder eyeshadows - maybe because it is quite translucent and light.
Less is definately more with this product and due to this, i get 6-12 months out of one bottle. So even though it is quite expensive in the UK (22 or $44 USD) it doesnt matter when you consider how long it lasts... and i have spent good money on alot worse cometics than this! I have tried some cheap alternatives to HighBeam when i didnt want to spend the money, but none of them came close to the colour, glow and texture of it. I found other drugstore highlighters to be too pink/red, too runny, didn't last and too shimmery (more like glitter than a highlighter!)
I have also found that using a powder highlighter or shimmery eyeshadow as a highlighter doesnt compare to HighBeam either. Shimmery powders "sit" on the skin, whereas HighBeam sinks into the skin and looks so natural, like the skin itself.
The only prob i have with HighBeam is the packaging. lets face it, that little glass bottle isnt durable in most makeup bags and i've had problems with runnage around the lid. It's also quite hard to get the right amount on the brush, as it usually gives too much. Personally I think it would be better in a plastic tube...

However, in terms of quality, HighBeam is the best of the best in highlighters. Definately a stayer in my makeup bag. I havent came across a highlighter like it. Ever!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this product.

Initially I had applied too much over my liquid foundation (in thick dots) on my cheekbones all the way to my temples and I ended up looking patchy and cakey when I set my base makeup with loose powder.

When I reached home, I scrubbed off my MU and tried with lesser LF and lesser HighBeam. All I did was drag the brush across the mouth of the bottle so there is less product on the brush and proceed to dot thinly (about 5-6 dots) from my cheekbones all the way up to the temples and also on my nose bridge.

I blended quickly in soft patting and dabbing motion till all edges are finely blended.

The first time my boyfriend saw me wear it, he said I looked "more glowy and radiant" and attributed it to sufficient sleep.

Less is really more. The effect is gorgeous when the light hits your face. It gives you that ethereal radiant look, like you are glowing from within. I wear my MAC Well-Dressed blush over it and my skin has never looked better.

on 5/17/2008 1:30:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Yeh, i kind of really wasted my money on this. After reading good reviews, i decided to get it, but its totally not worth the money.
Is it just me, or is it extremely hard to blend in? I followed the instructions.. but after blending and blending, when you stand in natural light, you can actually see the shape of it, so yuo look like you have some sort of shiny birthmark on your face.

And i find its too light for my skin - tan.

I dunno, i wouldn't get it again, and i really don't understand all the good reviews its getting.

on 5/12/2008 2:21:00 AM

This is a good highlighters for people whos got fairly dark skin. It didn't seem to have a visible glowing on my skin... goot thing I found about it is you can use it forever =)

on 5/11/2008 5:01:00 AM

This adds a nice touch to your face since it adds a nice shiney glow. For me, however, since I have combination skin, my skin does tend to get oily and when that happens, the High Beam gives my face less of a glow and even more of a shine :(

on 5/8/2008 7:49:00 PM

SO in love with High Beam. This highlighter just does wonders for the eye area. I put a little dab on the inner corner of the eyes, then from the outer brow to cheek bone i make a "C" shape with it in thin dotted strokes. Then I blend it outwards with the fingers. To avoid streaks you need to blend it in right away before it dries, which is why I work on one side of the face at a time. The result is a perfect dewy glow that looks equally as lovely outside during the day as it does at night. I just love the way the light bounces off of it--so pretty! A lot of shimmer in this, so it's best used sparingly.

Just a tiny bit of High Beam works magic. It's $24 at Sephora, but it's worth every penny. A little goes a LONG way and I see this little bottle lasting me a couple of years.

on 5/8/2008 4:13:00 PM

Everyone is raving about this product, but to me it's overpriced and I was disappointed with the result. It's a liquid product and not easy applying and you have to be very precise and careful with the amount you apply. I couldn't see any difference if I applied a small amount, and if I applied a tiny bit more it got too messy.
I much prefer the shimmery eye shadow type of highlighters for a fourth of the price!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I like this. I dont get much use for this, I dont really know what to do with it. I use it on my cheeks and on my cupids bow. I suppose it will get more use in the winter when I am not using my bronzers and stuff. But I like it, it will take me a while to go through a whole bottole

on 5/4/2008 6:28:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I really really wanted to love this after all the hype and good reviews on it. So I went and bought a bottle. I tried a little over my blusher, on my cheekbones and it was not noticeable, did nothing for my fair skin.

Then I tried adding a little more and it made my face look extremely greasy! Made my already oily face worse. It looked alright just after application. However, I took a look at myself again after 4 hours and I looked like an oil sleek with shiny cheeks.

I found that using a powder highlighter was more suitable than High Beam for my oily skin type.

on 5/2/2008 2:12:00 PM

I don't know why it took me so long to find this highlighter. It's incredible! It's very difficult to mess up using it. Just a little bit goes a long way, and if you put too much on, it's not that noticeable. It adds a natural dewy glow and slight slight shimmer. I use it on the top of my cheekbones up to my temples. Looks great!

Video Reviews & Tutorials