July 28, 2014 | 1826 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2007 11:12:00 PM More reviews by boomgurl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I agree w/ one of the reviewers below. I too am NC25 and wanted something as close to Bare Canvas paint as possible. However, on my skin it looks like Yogurt eyeshadow - too pink. Great product and wear overall, just not a color that worked on me.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2007 8:32:00 PM More reviews by jilashley

great eyeshadow base, or to even out skintone on the lid. i also use this as a matte eyeshadow, i recommend this to anyone who likes macs paints

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2007 5:12:00 PM More reviews by maliastyle

Surprisingly, I don't love this. On my very yellow toned, Asian, NC25-30 skin, Painterly comes off with a very pink tone, so it looks as if I've put on an entirely wrong shade of concealer on my lids. It's unfortunate. I'd hoped to have a real nude, matte Paint Pot to use as a base, but for now, Bare Study - slight shimmer and all - will have to do.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/10/2007 1:58:00 AM More reviews by jenjuliet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love this. I choose my high end products very carefully since I do not have money to throw away and MAC is the brand I usually splurge on. I have two Paint tubes that I adore, Architecture and Chiaroscuro, and when the pots came out I nearly went crazy with the lemmings wanting to get my hands on every single one if only I had the means. But I finally settled on Painterly after reading the reviews on MUA, deciding that it could pull double-duty as a base and as a shadow shade for a no-makeup look. I don't apply it with my fingers for sanitary reasons, I use a flat concealer brush instead and it works just fine. Used as a base, my shadows don't fade or crease even after a 14-hour day and they show up much more vibrantly than when used alone. The only base I've used in the past was just a thin layer of my regular concealer, which never quite worked. Oh, and since the pot is so ginormous it will last me for years, I can tell.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/18/2007 11:35:00 PM More reviews by lillian1717

I bought this as recommended for an eyeshadow base, but after a few tries in pretty normal northeast fall weather - my shadows and liner still creased and ran into my eyes. The texture, color, packaging and price are all decent, but I will still stick to my Urban Decay primer potion, since I can get through a yoga class with that and have my makeup still intact!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2007 5:46:00 AM More reviews by shirlh

Painterly is the very first first paint pot I bought, mainly for use as an eyeshadow bases for pigments. The texture is smooth, spreads easily, and it's a breeze applying with fingers.

The staying power is good, although it does crease a little (I'm in humid Asia). Eyeshadows managed to stay vibrant for 10 hours with no touchups. I would definitely buy this again.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/13/2007 4:16:00 PM More reviews by thrpschr

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've gone through three tubes of Bare Canvas and I love it. I usually prefer matte shadows, though, so I was very eager to get my hands on Painterly, as I though it would replace BC as my everyday, nude base shadow/highlighter. Painterly is significantly darker and beiger than BC, though, it's an almost exact match to my skin and doesn't really brighten my eye area at all, so at first I was disappointed.

I have found that it works great as a matte base for other shadows, though, and it still is a great, no make-up kind of neutral on it's own; just rather different from Bare Canvas.

I can also use it as a concealer of sorts, because it's so close to my skin and dries completely matte - when I'm in a hurry, I apply Painterly on undereye shadows, blemishes and unevennesses with my fingertip instead of spending time on applying and Secret Camouflage with a brush, and it blends and wears amazingly well, with a good, natural-looking coverage.

So I will keep buying and using Bare Canvas as a brightening base and highlighter, but if I ever run out (huge amount of product, and I find that I need much less of Painterly than BC to get the result I want) I would repurchase Painterly, too. Both are great products in their own right.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2007 11:48:00 PM More reviews by daisy888

I bought this to use under mauvement pigment, but realized really quickly that it is great under just about anything as a base. It has replaced benefit's fy eye, which i have used for several years but lately was finding that it dried my lids, (aging i guess). Painterly actually is a nicer colour, goes on a very nude, slightly mauvey colour and evens out my lids. Anything i've applied over it has gone on smooth and has lasted the entire day without any issues. And the pot has a generous amount in it... so happy to say after 8 years, i have a new primer for eye shadow!!! Will definitely repurchase this. UPDATE - i had to return this since my eye shadow ended up creasing a few times. I'll be sticking to paint pots with colour and continue to use my benefit fy eye under them.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2007 More reviews by SuzyCutie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I got Painterly in a swap and was very excited to try it. I use bare canvas all the time as a base,and I thought this would be a good option as well. The shade is rather "meh."It doesn't show up well and I'm fair skinned (NC20).I found a WONDERFUL use for it though,and that is to tone down pigmented lips! I've been using my last VS pleasingly plump lip enhancer and I know it will come to an end,so I will definitely repurchase Painterly for that purpose.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2007 3:12:00 PM More reviews by charb3

Just a great eye base for shadow. Matte and excellent for making the shadow stay longer, or brightening the eye.