July 23, 2014 | 1877 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Mia

rated 2 of 5 on 1/14/2010 10:39:00 AM More reviews by happy_blackbird

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Let me preface my review by stating right off the bat that I have very dry, delicate facial skin and have had rosacea my entire adult life. My face is seriously sensitive to chemicals, fragrance, essential oils, etc. You get the picture. I was intrigued by the Mia because I am always looking for a great, gentle exfoliant without harsh chemicals or scratchy grains. My skin looks best when I use little to no products. So, off to Sephora I went. What could be better than a little machine that gently rubs the dry, dead skin off your face? Plus, I could use nothing other than warm water and have it be effective.

The box clearly states that it is not only safe for those with rosacea, but that dermatologists have even recommended it for that exact condition.

Ladies, if you have rosacea or even the slightest bit of cuperous skin, please approach with caution. I used the Mia for five days (every other day) as instructed, with absolutely no pressure against my skin. I used the brush head for sensitive skin. I used it for just a few seconds on each area of my face, for not even a minute in total. After the fifth time I used it, I was shocked to discover I had a huge new broken capillary on my cheek (as well as a few new smaller ones along side my nose). This is devastating, as I will now have to shell out the big bucks to have it laser removed (it's that obvious).

Does my skin feel exfoliated? Yes. Was it appropriate for my delicate skin? Absolutely not. I think this would be a great product for those with skin that is not delicate or for those without rosacea or cuperous (skin where the capillaries are visible beneath the surface of the skin or already broken). It works great for exfoliation, but can (obviously) also damage sensitive skin. :(

30 out of 32 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2010 10:02:00 PM More reviews by karen137972

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I knew I was going to like it, but I didn't know I would fall in love with it. Absolutely a fantastic product!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2010 3:12:00 AM More reviews by bibinka

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This facial cleaning tool is nothing short of amazing. Add me to the legions of devoted fans of this. I bought this instead of the regular size Clarisonic, because I travel, and this is more portable.

I've battled skin issues since my teen years. Acne, spots, unevenness. Occasional dry spots. Not horrible, but still enough to make me feel inferior :(

I love the super clean feeling I get with Mia, and yes, my skin products are working more effectively. I can see some of my spots starting to fade, because I am also using retin products. My face feels softer and smoother than ever before.

$150 is NOT a lot to pay for the results I have experienced, and if NOT for Mia, I may have spent a lot more for products that just don't deliver.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2010 9:22:00 PM More reviews by cjmar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been eyeing this product for quite a while, and finally I decided to treat myself with my Christmas bonus, and I'm sure glad I did. I've been using the Mia for about 3 weeks now, but I saw an improvement almost instantly. The first night I used my Mia, I noticed many blackheads on my nose were halfway out of the pores. A few days later, I visited my parents and my mother commented on how luminous my skin looked. My acne and blackheads have significantly improved (but still aren't completely gone, I still have gotten a few cystic pimples), but I did notice that they heal quicker. The Mia is supposed to help prep your skin to better absorb products, so I believe that my acne treatment is working better now. I use this system in conjunction with the Clinique Acne line, with Burt's Bees acne spot treatment. My skin was initially a bit more oily, but that has gone away. The bristles are very gentle and it feels good to wash my face. It's also indicated that the bristles are anti-bacterial, therefore they prevent the growth of bacteria. The device is waterproof, and the charger is neat (it's magnetic I believe). All in all, it has dramatically improved my skin in appearance and number of blemishes (although not completely eliminated my acne). This is by far the best $150 I have ever spent.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2010 2:20:00 AM More reviews by missmei

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

I LOVE my Mia!!!

I had quite a bad episode of hormonal acne for 9 months. I tried scrubs - bad idea as it dried everything out and made it worse. I used a lot of conventional/drug store products for acne but it made it worse! My skin wasn't oily to start with, it was problematic and there is a huge difference between the two so if you're in the same boat, perhaps this might work out better for you too. My skin was bumpy, inflamed, cystic, hyperpigmented from the acne lesion, dull, slick-looking and lifeless. I wore makeup to try and hide how bad my skin really was. I felt like I had to because my skin was fantastic before my breakout and I cried on a weekly basis because I felt so ugly.

I bought my brush about 4 months ago after reading about it on essentialdayspa.com (also how I found out about makeup alley!) and there were so many raves about it. After umming and ahhing I ordered it. Sothys cleansing milk and Regulating Moisturiser were the only other things that helped clear up my skin a bit maybe coz it was just gently cleaning instead of stripping it bare.

Then I started using my Mia with my Sothys and wow! I think that the problem with hormonal acne and comodones in general is that the pore is clogged so debris, bacteria and the like get stuck a lot easier. The hormones and stress made my skin oilier and not slough away properly. The Mia gently brushed away the gunk clogging the pore and removed the makeup, thus helping my problem of my skin not sloughing away properly due to the hormones and stress.

I think it has also helped keep the hyperpigmentation/scars 'soft' as that is fading quicker than usual too.

I have also tried to get my hormones under control via supplements to regulate my adrenals and ovaries as well as skin and immune system support with fish oils. My diet was pretty good to start with and I don't really believe that diet directly causes pimples anyway. I know that this is the longer term solution to stopping my acne.
Thanks to the Mia, it's helping treat my acne from the outside and I'm trying to boost my body's internal ability to stave off the acne too.

I must admit that I have been using Differin and Eryacne as well to help speed up the process but that has only been in the last few weeks. I find that they are more penetrating than the Mia but make you sensitive to the sun as I found out today when I went to the beach.

The Mia is very gentle but if you feel raw, best to give the next time a miss. People keep commenting on how luminous my skin looks. When I had great skin previously I was using MD Formulations but there were still big (non-inflamed) bumps on the top of my nose, in between my eyes. I don't have them anymore and my skin is definitely on its way back.

There are different levels of 'harshness' of the bristles. I find that the Delicate is heaps for the face.

I clean my brush with soap after using it to help remove makeup as I don't want to reintroduce bacteria into my skin. I soak the brush head in a solution of hydrogen peroxide (6% v/v) once a week and make sure to dry out the brush head in between uses for the same reason.

Seriously, love love love love love this brush.

From what I'm read, it is easier to use and takes up less space than the original one. The brush heads fit both models so no issue there. The Mia lasts me a week before I have to recharge it (a full charge takes 24 hours) and I use it for 1-2 minutes, twice a day.

I always look forward to coming home coz I know there is a mini facial awaiting me all the time.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/9/2010 10:44:00 AM More reviews by vengland

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using the Mia for a little over a week now, and my skin has improved in texture and appearance. I didn't have serious skin problems previously, but my issues were: very visible/large pores around nose/top of cheek, redness around nose/cheeks, breakouts around hairline, sometimes chin and cheeks. I almost always had at least one red spot (I hate the word pimple!) on my face- usually small, but still very annoying at age 34. After using the Mia for a week, I am pleased to say that I currently have no breakout spots (knock on wood!), my pores are less visible, my redness is reduced and my skin is softer. Is the Clarisonic Mia a miracle worker? No. Does it more effectively clean your skin and allow moisturizers and other products to do their job? I would say most definitely. Note: I bought the brush head for delicate skin.
UPDATE 5/21/10 - I've been using the Mia for over 4 months now, and I'm still really pleased with the improvements I've seen in my skin; I still get occasional breakouts, but not as many as before using the Mia and they clear up *much* faster. I would most definitely repurchase- better skin is worth the money spent!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/7/2010 9:54:00 PM More reviews by 90046

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Just bought this tonight - prolly too early to review - will do another review in 2 weeks or so. BUT, I love how my face feels after using this lil Mia! My rough dry lips are much improved, after just one use.

I had a Dillard's gift card, so I treated myself.
A few weeks ago (when I was stocking up on my Prescriptives before it's all gone forever) the SA used this on me to remove my makeup before she tried a new shade on my face. I loved the demo and thought of buying this since.

I love my Sonicare toothbrush, so I knew this would be for me!

It's like a facial in your bathroom!
More to follow in a few weeks.

Pricey, but hopefully worth the $$$

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2010 9:24:00 AM More reviews by lisa_thejack

Only been using it for 2 weeks twice a day but skin is definitely looking cleaner than ever. Fewer blackheads and reduced size of whiteheads. No noticeable changes in wrinkles or blemishes (yet). Pleasant to use, not abrasive at all. Would recommend and would buy again.
UPDATE - Still using it, still works, still love it!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/6/2010 3:50:00 PM More reviews by gdriban

I agree with other reviewers who say that if your skin is already in good condition, the clarisonic will not dramatically improve your skin. I already have a good regimen of cleansing, exfoliating (AHA) and use a retin A product so my skin is already great. I do not wear foundation only a light dusting of powder over sunscreen. I do not think this is a bad product for the right person. I think if your skin is troubled and you wear a lot of makeup this would be great. I am glad I tried it but it wasn't for me. I'll stick with what is working for my skin! My dermatologist said to steer clear of the clarisonic. She said she has been seeing more and more patients with broken capillaries and over-drying due to the clarisonic. If it works for you, great--just be aware!

23 out of 29 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2010 3:12:00 AM More reviews by Carmen314

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

http://i46.tinypic.com/i1cvwo.jpg STARTING

http://i50.tinypic.com/nq330y.jpg 12 DAYS OF USE

****I posted two pics above the first pic is the day before i started using the brush and the 2nd link is 12 days into use. In BOTH pics I have on makeup but u can still clearly see the difference, My skin care products and regimen have remained exactly the same...the only difference has been use of the brush****

I had tried EVERYTHING on my skin and was getting extremely frustrated, I'm 26 and didn't understand why i was still getting severe breakouts b/c i take very good care of my skin. I heard about the Clarisonic but didn't get it b/c it is a little pricey so i got the Mia for Christmas and can honestly say if I would have known the difference it would of made in my skin I would of purchased it a long time ago. It really is an investment. I wouldnt get the original clarisonic it seems pretty big for the face I think the size of the Mia is perfect. Needless to say I don't think washing my face w/o the brush will ever feel good enough again...it makes my face feel SOOO much cleaner and removes every speck of makeup. I would DEFINITELY recommend this brush and if I had to repurchase I would.

53 out of 53 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No