December 19, 2014 | 1234 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 4 of 5 on 5/23/2008 5:09:00 PM More reviews by YaddaYaddaYadda

I hate that this comes in a jar. Otherwise, it seems I'm one of the few people around here who really likes it. I use it under my sunscreen in the morning -- it gives me just the right amount of moisture, and seems to even-out my skin's texture a bit. The fragrance doesn't bother me. Maybe I like it because I don't have particularly high expectations when it comes to moisturizers -- as long as it doesn't make me break out, I'm happy. I've been using the Makeup Optional kit for about a year and a half now, with a few additions (sunscreen, Vitamin C powder, Microdelivery Peel 1x a week), and my skin hasn't looked this good since before I hit puberty...so, I'll be sticking with the entire package until it stops working.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/23/2008 11:21:00 AM More reviews by pelikandaughter

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I was nervous to try this after reading the MUA reviews, but I finally decided I would just have to make up my own mind, so I ordered the Jump-Starters Kit from Sephora and figured, hey, I can just return it if it sets my skin on fire (which, after reading some of the reviews, almost seemed possible.)
I have dry skin and many of the complaints seemed to be that it was greasy - I noticed the reviews were much higher from reviewers who share my skin type, so that was what swayed my decision.
The verdict - I don't hate it, but so far it's not my HG. I've been using it for three weeks now at night and my skin is smooth and dewy. It soaks right into my skin and the moisture balance is awesome - I don't wake up oily at all. The smell is not a problem for me - I hate super-perfumey smells, and this is a mild, medicinal smell that fades - my boyfriend doesn't mind it either.
But, during this last week, my cheeks are starting to get a little blotchy. Not breaking out, exactly - but blotchy. I have had a few zits, too - nothing major, but more than normal for me. Bear in mind that I have also been using the purity cleanser and the Hope is Not Enough SPF, but I am pretty sure it is the HIAJ. I know there are people who subscribe to the "purging" theory when you try new products - I think that is only possible if you have zits that were already developing underneath the skin beforehand - otherwise, new products should not cause breakouts. I'm still giving it a three because it does soak in beautifully and my skin is baby-smooth.
Edit - I cut out the HIAJ and my skin stopped breaking out, so I am pretty sure this was the culprit. I still really love the Purity cleanser and the Hope is Not Enough SPF, but I am on to Skinceuticals now for treatment products and night moisturizer.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/22/2008 3:27:00 PM More reviews by kissncole

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to Love this as much as all of the other philosophy stuff I've been using, but this just doesn't do it for me. The consistency is too watery... But it doesn't burn my eyes, have an unpleasant smell, or irritate my skin, so those are all plusses! Maybe it's meant for AM use under an spf or foundation. I use it at night and it's just not enough, in my opinion.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/21/2008 2:37:00 PM More reviews by Boots87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I did not find this very helpful...a rep @ Sephora reccommended this to me, it made my skin blotchy and my makeup would stick in patches...my face looked awful! Took awhile for it to get back to normal :(

rated 2 of 5 on 5/21/2008 2:00:00 PM More reviews by nicxnacx714

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

A big let-down. I bought this from Sephora because it was rated one of the best moisturizers. I was not impressed. At first, I thought it was a good night cream. But after awhile of using it I noticed that it was kind of oily on my skin and the smell was awful. I would never use it during the day.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2008 8:06:00 AM More reviews by bellefranjic

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

False hope, if you ask me. This is just another moisturiser, really. Like so many reviewers before me, I find the acrid smell disgusting. And it lingers long after application. It smells quite like cheap creme cleanser - and I mean the one used to clean bathroom sinks. Ugh! I've never experienced a moisturiser with such an objectionable fragrance. That aside, HIAJ is quite an intensive moisturiser and I wouldn't recommend it for oily skin. As for the grandiose claim that it regenerates the skin - I have seen no evidence of that. My skin is no better or worse since I started using Hope in a Jar.
** Update - 2 days later: it made me breakout in small but irritating pimples :-( **

rated 2 of 5 on 5/14/2008 9:22:00 PM More reviews by paigupaigu

I just had to give this a try! I was looking for any "skin regenerating" -type of lotions (since I'm no longer a young'un *sigh*) and bought this not really knowing how my sensitive, combination skin would handle it. I was mainly going by the wonderful reputation of the Philosophy brand. Here's my take on it:

PROS
This stuff was like a moisture surge on my skin! It helped the tops of my dry cheeks and "puffed out" the fine lines. A little goes a long, long way.

CONS (unfortunatley, cons outweigh the pros)
This stuff just did not sink into my skin. Sure, it made my cheeks nice and smooth but on the rest of my face, it just felt like it was sitting there. It was weird because my face wasn't shiny, but it felt like there was a layer of oil on it! I could not use this during the day because it felt so bad. I used it as a night cream, but....it smells so bad!!! I had to go to sleep with this awful stench filling my nostrils. I've worked in hospitals and research labs and nothing- nothing!- smells this bad.

Conclusions- Not worth it for me. Too heavy and icky feeling touse during the day, and too smelling and distressing to be used as a "comforting" night cream. It helped end my dry skin but there's other, better smelling, less greasy-feeling alternatives out there.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/14/2008 7:32:00 PM More reviews by tee234

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This product was way too moisturizing for my oily skin. However, the cream itself was nice. I liked it. The smell was different, its hard to describe, but I came to like it. It absorbed into my skin pretty quickly, and I like the light texture of it. Overall a good cream I think, but just not for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/13/2008 10:06:00 PM More reviews by jsonnet98

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Okay, I bought this b/c I heard so much great stuff about this but oh noooo...this is NOT the product for me. I have extremely oily skin that's acne prone and it's pretty sensitive, so I used this sparingly. The first time I used it, it felt like it was burning my skin OFF. My eyes started watering and then I got a whiff of that acrid smell and I was seriously regretting my purchase! But I used it for about a week, and I noticed that right after I applied it night, my skin did look much healthier, clearer, and more radiant. But in the mornings, my skin was back to normal. And then after a week I started getting all this painful cystic acne pimples, so I gave it to my best friend. She was in love with it for about a week too, and then quickly fell out of it for the same reason. This was definitely not for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/12/2008 1:59:00 PM More reviews by ngvozdov

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have heard raves about this product for years, so I finally decided to try it. (Plus, my best friend loves it too, it's her "stand by" moisturizer." ) I opened the jar and my immediate thought was, "ew, that smells like frozen pizza!" I don't know what that smell it is, but it's gross. Anyway, I use it, and I like it the product a lot, but the smell is really horrible. I would have given it a 3 overall rating, but the smell knocks it down.