November 21, 2014 | 1774 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 4 of 5 on 4/4/2008 6:34:00 PM More reviews by mysteriousstar

This is a great base color! The first base paint I i ever bought was the color Canvas Color. I did no like the Canvas Color paint because it is just too light it is almost white!....Any eye shadow u put will not cover the light base Canvas Color, after a while the eyes shadow will come off and u will be stuck with the almost white color base on your eye lids. This Base color is really good, it is a light light brown color! Your eye shadow( shimerie or flat colored eyeshadow) stays on forever and the colors look great.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2008 11:04:00 AM More reviews by tracita

This was a very pleasant surprise! I'd been reading all the raves about Paint Pots, how they don't crease, great staying power, blah blah blah, but really didn't think anything could compare to UDPP which I've been using forever. I was wrong and I happily admit it--this formula rocks!! I have experienced no creasing and the color is perfect for evening out my discolored lids--did I mention this works fantastically as a concealer too? Well, it does! Plus, you get a lot of bang for the buck, I can see this pot will last me a while. This is a new staple in my cosmetic wardrobe and I will definitely be sampling more shades...I hope MAC never changes the consistency/formula and I pray to the higher power that it is not ever discontinued--I will cry. Thumbs up for this potted gem!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2008 5:01:00 PM More reviews by Steph84

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I had always used my concealer as an e/s base. However, I have very light skin and my eyelid skin is always either red or veiny. This is pefect for evening out my eyelid and is only slightly darker than my natural skin tone. It looks good by itself for a very natural look. (Bare Study, for comparison, left my eyelids with a burning sensation, and went on very unevenly).

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2008 7:01:00 AM More reviews by KKAI

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This is probably the best buy of the year so far!

The MA who talked me into it said: " You will come back and thank me for that"-and I will!

I have to say that I only use it as a base. Nice neutral colour that makes almost all eyeshadows look wonderfull ( even the ones with less than average colour pay-off) and no creasing for more than 8 hours.

EDIT:I deducted one lippie because this product does not "co-operate" well with all eyeshadows (especially with the creamier ones like Stila or Mac veluxe pearls which happen to be my favorite)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2008 4:28:00 PM More reviews by annahogan

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

Will someone please explain how I didnt life live without Painterly before? Thank goodness my co-worker turned me into it because I am the queen of hte greasy eyelids and this stuff is MAGIC! Love you MAC for your eyeshadows...(and not much else...sorry!)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2008 1:09:00 PM More reviews by keahi

I love MAC Paint Pots! Although the colored ones are so much more fun to play with if I had to choose just one I'd pick Painterly because it's my most versatile go-with-everything daily base. The shade is pretty much an exact match for my lids so looks invisible when I use it alone. Prior to PPs I used UDPP almost exclusively as my e/s base. So how does this compare to UDPP?

The PP provides a thicker base layer on your lid--you can control how much--I try to blend it out as thinly as possible. If the layer is too thick I do find I will have some minor creasing at the end of the day. Applies easily with a synthetic brush with dabbing as opposed to large strokes. Shadows seem to stick more to the PP and therefore colors pop a little more than with UDPP. Blending is also much easier. The only drawback is some minor creasing some of the time--I find this only tends to happen if I am packing on a lot of color or using a shadow with a creamier consistency--like Stila shadows. Never had creasing with UDPP for comparison.

Though I think UDPP keeps your shadow truer for a little longer I will trade that for more blendability. The PPs aren't nearly as drying as UDPP either. All in all, Painterly is probably my base of choice if I had to be exclusive. Will definitely repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/5/2008 12:36:00 PM More reviews by syntheticvampira

this product sucks, it goes on so thick and turns dry in the pan after awhile. It also CREASES like crazy after 3-4 hours, it's just a horrible eyeshadow base

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2008 9:47:00 PM More reviews by flossfairy

This is everything I wanted UDPP to be. I think my lids were a bit too greasy for UDPP. Painterly goes on nicely with a concealer brush. I had no trouble getting smooth, even coverage. The result was a perfect neutral canvas for my eyeshadow. My shadows went on over Painterly with more depth of color and blended very easily. I have no problems with creasing or oily lids from the time I apply my makeup in the morning till I take it off at night. This will be a staple in my makeup collection unless my skin changes. It might be a little dry for very dry skin. My only complaint is that the jar was hard to open. . .a quick board search later, I was able to get it open after tapping it on the counter, prying the lid a little with a butter knife and giving it a good twist . Other suggestions included putting a rubber band around the top for more grip and prying at the lid with a spoon before attempting to open.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2008 4:45:00 PM More reviews by abbazabba

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

painterly was not a great investment. it is very matte, beige/skin color that i thought would be great as a base for my whole lid. when i used it, it looks like a put a whole slab of concealer all over my eye. basically it looks like a really matte/bright highlight color when i put it under my brow bone which i dont like. i like the more natural and light/shimmery highlight. but if u like the very visible LIGHTER color effect, this is the one for u. it's not shiny at all. it's hard to blend/spread. it's good for concealing under eye circles though. not recommended for fair asian skin. i'm a nc30

update: i'm beginning to like painterly a lot more as opposed to bare study which i dumped painterly for. now i'm switching back to painterly and try to apply as thin of a layer as possible. i believe the problem i had before was the wrong application method. i used to use MAC's 239 and this made the paint pot very chunky. now i have switched to MAC's 242 or my ring finger and this application method made the whole difference for me from hate to LOVE.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2008 9:12:00 PM More reviews by MakeUpVideosAndMore

i love love love this paint pot. i use it under my eyeshadows and it just makes your eyeshadows pop really nicely! you won't go wrong with this eyeshadow base. it dries quickly too so you don't waste anytime. true enough, what the review before me said, the packaging is kinda boring, but i guess what matters to me the most is what's inside of it...it is a great product that anyone could work with and it's definitely worth your money, specially if you have very oily lids.