October 20, 2014 | 1965 users online

Cleansers - Cetaphil - Daily Facial Cleanser (Normal to Oily Skin)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2005 4:05:00 PM More reviews by sbksbj

This is not the cleanser for me. My dermatologist had recommended it so I gave it a try since it was so reasonably priced. I first tried the original formula but found it left a greasy residue and broke me out so thinking I bought the wrong formula , I tried the Oily skin formula and that managed to dry out my skin and still break me out. I will never buy this again and I'm also looking for another dermatologist.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2005 More reviews by jenniferm1972

I've been using this for years (and the oily skin version as well at times) and it's the only soap I've run across that DIDN'T break my skin out. I think the problems people are having with break outs/burning may have something to do with not applying the product to an already wet face, using too much of the product, or failing to properly rinse. It does take a bit to totally rinse this stuff off, but it's worth it.
I have super sensitive skin that very prone to breakouts and irritation, and I've never had a problem with this.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/2/2005 11:57:00 AM More reviews by whateverinny

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I decided to try Cetaphil based upon it's excellent reputation. It was recommended to me by a dermatologist and is highly endorsed by Paula Begoun, the "Cosmetic Cop". As supposedly time tested as the product is, it wreaked havoc with my skin for the six months I washed with it.

I am 41, with oily acne prone skin that is also sensitive due to the nightly use of Retin-A. I gave Cetaphil a good six months of use to work its magic. Within a short time of washing my face with Cetaphil, my hair line and jawline were covered in small pimples that no matter what I did, refused to go away. I figured this was due to the humid months of summer, or hormones, or stress, or the Retin-A (which I have been using for 10 years btw with great success) and not this oh-so gentle cleanser that is so highly endorsed, so I continued to use the product. Come winter, I found that Cetaphil burned my skin, and the pimples were there to stay.

After finding makeupalley, I discovered that Cetaphil caused other women to break out as well and that maybe it was Cetaphil that made my skin pimpled and red and painful. I decided to stop using Cetaphil to see if this was true. Sure enough, one week later and the small pimples have disappeared. I still have red marks left from the bigger pimples it caused, but the Retin-A will take care of that eventually. And I am so happy now that my fiance has been telling me that my skin looks fanastic.

Bottom line is that if you are acne prone, using this product is a big risk. Based upon the reviews here, there is a 50-50 chance that your skin will breakout and be left a raw red mess, especially if you use any sort of retinoid. I feel it is not worth the risk.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/13/2005 3:24:00 PM More reviews by jalaine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I HATE this stuff. I have oily, acne-prone skin and thought I would use this to be "gentle." WRONG.....this cleanser caused me to get repeated cystic acne. I kept using it for a bit because I kept thinking it was some other product i was using causing the cystic pimples. I got scar-leaving blemishes one after another. I finally stopped using the Cetaphil to see if that was the problem, and sure enough my skin immediately cleared. Too bad I am still (months later) dealing with the scarring this left behind.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/2/2005 11:51:00 PM More reviews by nann1028

Even though I have combination skin, I decided to give this a try. It's wintertime here, so I can't attest to how well it controls oilier skin I get when it's summer. Surprisingly, for a "normal to oily" cleanser, it didn't dry out my skin as much as other cleansers do (Clinique's rinse-off foaming cleaner). It's a clear liquid gel that doesn't foam, so I suppose that's why. It's very good at taking off make-up, but all I wear is concealer and eyeliner. About 2 pumps is the amount I use. It doesn't do anything for the blemishes I already have, but it hasn't made me break out; my skin has been fairly stable since I've began using it.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/1/2005 10:52:00 PM More reviews by brnidgrl70

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I normally use Obagi cleanser & it works great. I was looking for something less expensive but this burns my face! I thought Obagi was supposed to be harsh so I was surprised that this bothered me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2004 9:16:00 AM More reviews by talkaboutaddiction

Well I think I have this down to a science now with Cetaphil cleansers. This one for normal to oily skin SHOULD IMO be labled for very oily skin only. I have normal skin with a shiny T zone but geez! This stuff left me drier than the desert! Not to mention that my nose got oilier trying to make up for the lost moisture. However, the regular cleanser was just a bit too moisturizing and I felt like my skin just wasnt all the way clean. This stuff also has a very strong smell like alcohol and hairspray which doesnt bother me but it is kinda annoying soooo, I mix this w/ the regular cetaphil cleanser and it is just right. Cleans the oil and gunk off your face, doesnt leave it tight or dry, and tones down that "masing fragrance" as it is listed in the ingredients. since it is winter maybe it will be fine on it's own during the summer months. If you really do have oily skin though and want a basic cleanser that takes off MU and nasty gunk w/o spending a fortune than this is pretty good!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/22/2004 6:30:00 PM More reviews by CoffeeJava

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this product and have been using it for a week. The first few days, I felt irritation/my face stung. My face DOES dry up with this, and today my face cracked really dry. Really bad. I was shocked to see my skin so cracked in the mirror. I do not like this product and do not know what the rave is about this product, but all I can think of is people probably like the fragrance from this, but it's not all that in any way. It works to remove makeup, but I can use a regular Dove soap anyway, which is less drying than this. I expected better than this. I also broke out a little on my chin and right side of my face. I am not buying this again.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/21/2004 7:26:00 PM More reviews by AndiSue1970

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using this for a few months. I use it at night to take off my makeup. I use this and rotate it with Biore Cleanser at night. The fragrance is a little more than I would want, but I've gotten use to it because of the results I've gotten with it. The price is also very good.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2004 1:37:00 PM More reviews by LittleLolo

This is the best cleanser out there - witout a doubt. It is simple and the packaging isn't fancy, but it works! I have struggled to find a good cleanser for my slighly oily, sensitive (and blackhead prone) skin for years. I always found oil control cleansers very drying and too harsh for my skin. This one finally did the trick and I have stuck to it ever since. This cleanser is also great for normal skin, however, and I would recommend it to anyone. Unlike the regular Cetaphil cleanser, it is effective in removing both makeup and cleansing your skin thoroughly.