Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

3.9

AQUA / WATER CYCLOPENTASILOXANE GLYCERIN ISODODECANE ALCOHOL POLYGLYCERYL-4 ISOSTEARATE ALUMINUM STARCH OCTENYLSUCCINATE CETYL PEG/PPG-10/1 DIMETHICONE HEXYL LAURATE DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE PHENOXYETHANOL ACETYLATED GLYCOL STEARATE MAGNESIUM SULFATE ETHYLHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE TRISTEARIN CELLULOSE GUM NYLON-12 LIMONENE BENZYL SALICYLATE LINALOOL DIPHENYL DIMETHICONE ACRYLATES COPOLYMER PARFUM / FRAGRANCE DISODIUM STEAROYL GLUTAMATE METHYLPARABEN BUTYLPARABEN BUTYLPHENYL METHYLPROPIONAL ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE HEXYL CINNAMAL [ /- MAY CONTAIN CI 77891 / TITANIUM DIOXIDE CI 77492, CI 77499, CI 77491 / IRON OXIDES CI 77007 / ULTRAMARINES MICA

Hmm.. this was reccomended to me by a friend. Being super pale, I have a hard time finding foundations to match me. I got samples in 0,1, and 2. #1 is pale enough, but it's too yellow. Mixing 0 and 2 is an okay match, but who really wants to have to buy 2 obscenely expensive bottles of foundation to make the right color?? That is just beyond annoying.
The coverage on this is meh.. I don't need a lot of coverage, I just want to even out the tones in my skin, cancel some very slight redness, and even out the freckles I have. This doesn't do that. I can see everything through it. I don't want a heavy foundation at all.. but I do want SOMETHING, you know? All I got from this was painfully obvious sparkles all over my face. Speaking of those sparkles.. I noticed something very odd. I'd put a bit of this on my finger and apply it to one area of my face, and it would be luminous but not glittery. I'd get more out of the jar, and this time it'd be so shimmery I looked like a lightbulb. It's like the shimmer particles aren't evenly dispersed in the bottle or something. I also found 1 to be more shimmery than 0.
The texture of this is very liquidy, I accidently tipped over one of my sample pots and man did I ever have a mess. Although, because it is liquidy like that it works well with a foundation brush..
I'm noticing a slight scent in this.. like licorice or something. And, it doesn't fade when I put it on my skin. That's kindof wigging me out actually. I don't want to go around with a face smelling like licorice.
Oh and the BEST part about this foundtion?! All the silicone in it gave me nasty under the skin bumps and a couple large systic pimples.
Overall.. not impressed. I wouldn't buy this. Ever. continued >>

on 3/28/2004 10:25:00 PM

I contacted SFA and received samples of this product. At first, I was really unsure. Upon application, it looked like it was going to give me that oh-so-unattractive shiny look. However, I let it breathe for about 5 minutes and then went back to finish my makeup. I was surprised, because while not exactly matte, the foundation had dried to a very pleasing glowy my skin but 100x better look. I was going out and wanted to set it, so I busted out the MAC pressed powder and used my kabuki brush to apply it. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I have to say that the combination was fantastic and lasted even through bar hopping and sweating in clubs. I think I only needed to touch up once, and even then I think it was just be being vain and worrisome rather than my face being in dire need of a touchup. I do want to try the MSF just to see if I like it better, but I am happy to report that I know for sure I can fall back on the LSF!

on 3/28/2004 9:30:00 AM

Me: PPP, combo skin with slight tendency to break out.

Packaging: 30ml brushed glass bottle, with black lid - looks like a cylinder. Pump action.

Price (in Dublin): €33

Texture: Velvety and very light, quite runny in fact which made me panic at first, but turns out to make it really easy to apply. It has sheer coverage, and is light enough to apply a second layer if you want to look more "made up" without it clumping nastily on you. I have a few dry patches on my face at the moment from an acne treatment, and had to dab a tiny bit of moisturiser over those parts, because being a water-based foundation, the superdry bits looked ever so slightly flaky. I have combination skin, and found that I still needed a little of powder on my nose, but didn't need to layer powder over my whole face like I am used to doing with other foundation.

Colour: The colour I bought is #4, which I was suspicious of at first because #2 was the sample which I had been given originally and while it was a perfect match for my skin, my skin is sooooo white it make me look a little to goth, and the second time I went in (wearing #2) the MA suggested I try #4 instead as it was a teensy-weensy bit warmer, and I'm very glad that I got the #4 instead now - the colour is simply lovely on - very natural, no "tide mark" but just warm enough to take away the deathly pallor that I normally have!

Verdict: The foundation is fantastic, and I highly recommend it to you as having a light coverage, fabulous texture, and good range of shades. Do ask the MA to match you up with a colour though, because some of the colours look terribly similar and you might benefit from asking the MA for advice.

on 3/26/2004 5:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I like this foundation. Its more like a tinted moisturizer cause the coverage is nice and light. I am an NC30 and wear LSF in 6. WOrks perfectly! Doesnt break me out and looks so natural. I will repurchase this! I took off one lippie cause its so expensive, $48, but i would repurchase cause i like it!

on 3/26/2004 3:54:00 AM

On the whole it's not a bad foundation. I have a feeling though that #8 is a touch too dark for me. I don't mind it so long as I take the time to blend it in right.

The consistency is quite light and the finish is quite satiny. However because I have combo skin, I do need to use powder with this and make it matte, which is not the point of this foundation.

I haven't quite decided if I want to rebuy it again because of those two points above. However, if I do buy it again, I will only buy it from Heathrow's Terminal 3, where they have it at tax free prices.

on 3/20/2004 4:25:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I'm on my second bottle. I'm a PPP with slight yellow undertones and # 2 seems to be best for me. As other reviewers have said, one pump is plenty and it is buildable if you need it, but in a magnifying mirror, I can see it sitting on top of my skin. This "sitting" effect is evident whether my application is with hand, brush or wedge, although I find applying with my hand is fastest and gives the most even application. It is fairly long lasting. More natural looking than LM moisturizing foundation. For a big night out or any time it's important that it look really good, I use a primer over my moisturizer. It really looks super then. In warmer weather, I will switch to TM Even Skin which is thinner and slightly sheerer.

on 3/17/2004 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

i am not shopping around for foundations again. i don't need to. armani's lsf is absolutely perfect in every way. it's pricey, sure, but it's worth it for a foundation that matches my skin tone exactly and provides medium, natural coverage. it literally feels like you're smoothing liquid silk over your face, and despite some of the recent reviews, blends easily whether you're using a foundation brush or just your fingers. i have oily skin, but chose to use the lsf rather than the matte version. i found that lsf controls shine and gave me a fresh, dewy look throughout the day. it lasts forever, and i think it even looks better as time progresses. the bottle is beautiful and comes with a convenient pump dispenser, which eliminates the mess that foundations can cause. if you've been debating whether it's worth putting down so much money for just a bottle of foundation, i strongly urge you to get it. think of all the time, exhaustive effort, and money you'll save trying to find that perfect foundation because the search ends here.

on 3/9/2004 1:18:00 AM

I used to swear on chantecaille's real skin foundation until i tried this.... The texture is unbelievable and it makes you look flawless and glowing without having the embalmed look. The reason why i gave it four stars instead of five is because it doesn't have SPF!!!! People who don't like shine should stay away from this, and i don't know how this would work in hot sticky weather... Summer's coming up so we;ll see!!!

on 2/26/2004 2:21:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Armani makes so many wonderful products it is no surprise that the LSF is so lovely on. I recently acquired a La Prairie skin caviar foundation through a swap here on MUA and it *does* do more for me than the Armani LSF, but the LSF still looks really good, too!

on 2/24/2004 10:57:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Eh..not too impressed by this product. It didn't create the illusion of flawless skin for me and neither did I like the feel of it on my face. It was..slick? Also, it stuck to the dry patches on my face and it wasn't a pretty sight. Strangely, it's very sheer on me too - didn't cover up anything! What's the point of wearing a foundation that doesn't cover anything in the first place? No go for me :( I had so wanted to like this after hearing the raves...but I guess it would work on people with great skin.

Video Reviews & Tutorials