November 23, 2014 | 1678 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2008 9:59:00 AM More reviews by CarolinaMidwife

Hope in a Jar is my favorite moisturizer, I have been using it for 5 years straight and I continue to love it. It has a nice, airy, texture and it leaves a rosy glow. If you have dry skin it may not be enough of a moisturizer for you, during the winter I add another type to my dry zones. But for summer weather Hope is light and has a clean fragrance.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/9/2008 5:29:00 PM More reviews by starskye

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was looking for a moisturizer to replace my arbonne moisturizer since it was running low and purchased the small jar of "hope in jar" and it did make my skin look nice and glowing. The only thing is when I put it on my skin and massaged it in, I guess the rubbing formed chunks on my skin, like the moisturizer dried out and I rubbed it off. And I softly massaged it into my skin for less than 30 seconds. So I decided to pat it on lightly and still you could feel it dried off and left little chunks to be wiped off my face. Plus I don't like the packaging. I preferred bottles that squeeze out the lotion rather than sticking my fingers in and out of the jar contaminating it even after I wash my hands.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2008 11:18:00 PM More reviews by skeeto21

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Seems to calm my skin and makes it feel very soft.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2008 4:14:00 PM More reviews by mainlinediva

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My face has a love/hate thing going on with this. First off, this is a great fall/winter moisturizer...summer? Not so much. It's June now and I'm noticing that my face is literally an oil pit by the afternoon...ew! So, back it goes in storage until the fall/winter.
Plus, like other reviewers I'm noticing small bumps on my forehead and temples too. I don't understand how Philosophy can say that people with oily skin can use this? Seriously, if your even a bit oily, stay away from this, unless you want to end up with a grease pit on your face by the afternoon. This is def. for normal/dry skin types.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/1/2008 6:20:00 PM More reviews by NARSlove

After seeing all the rave reviews on TV and magazines, like so many others did, I took the plunge and purchased HIAJ. I have combination skin, and didn't notice any real positive change in my skin texture or appearance. In fact, I'm pretty sure I got little bumps and flare-ups as a result! Points off for the overwhelming smell, which neither myself or my boyfriend could tolerate. Product also consistently burned my skin upon application, making it essentially a waste of money :( I tried to be optimistic about this product, perhaps it may work for others, but not for me, and as a final note, let me add that I have never had particularly sensitive skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/30/2008 2:06:00 PM More reviews by 2lilmonkees

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

HORRIBLE 4 oily skin. i broke out immediately. what a scam. this is SOOOOOOOO oily and full of crap. ewwwwwwww. i used it 4 a week to just "give" it a shot and it took me 3 weeks to fix its craziness. ugh!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/26/2008 8:18:00 PM More reviews by ashley87

It smells awful to me. Also don't like the jar it comes in, it dried out very quickly. I didn't really notice much of a difference in my skin. It felt really greasy and caked on. I don't think I will try this product again.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2008 7:50:00 PM More reviews by alliand

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love Philosophy Hope in a Jar! Before I found this product I skipped moisturizing because every other product I tried would cause me to break out...and I'm not normally a zit-prone person. I'm in my early 30s and really wanted to find a moisturizer to use as part of my daily regiment. I consider my skin 'normal'. I am so glad I found this product...for me, it is the best moisturizer! This was my first Philosophy product, but I am so impressed that I have recently ordered some other Philosophy products and will review once I receive them.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/23/2008 5:09:00 PM More reviews by YaddaYaddaYadda

I hate that this comes in a jar. Otherwise, it seems I'm one of the few people around here who really likes it. I use it under my sunscreen in the morning -- it gives me just the right amount of moisture, and seems to even-out my skin's texture a bit. The fragrance doesn't bother me. Maybe I like it because I don't have particularly high expectations when it comes to moisturizers -- as long as it doesn't make me break out, I'm happy. I've been using the Makeup Optional kit for about a year and a half now, with a few additions (sunscreen, Vitamin C powder, Microdelivery Peel 1x a week), and my skin hasn't looked this good since before I hit puberty...so, I'll be sticking with the entire package until it stops working.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/23/2008 11:21:00 AM More reviews by pelikandaughter

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I was nervous to try this after reading the MUA reviews, but I finally decided I would just have to make up my own mind, so I ordered the Jump-Starters Kit from Sephora and figured, hey, I can just return it if it sets my skin on fire (which, after reading some of the reviews, almost seemed possible.)
I have dry skin and many of the complaints seemed to be that it was greasy - I noticed the reviews were much higher from reviewers who share my skin type, so that was what swayed my decision.
The verdict - I don't hate it, but so far it's not my HG. I've been using it for three weeks now at night and my skin is smooth and dewy. It soaks right into my skin and the moisture balance is awesome - I don't wake up oily at all. The smell is not a problem for me - I hate super-perfumey smells, and this is a mild, medicinal smell that fades - my boyfriend doesn't mind it either.
But, during this last week, my cheeks are starting to get a little blotchy. Not breaking out, exactly - but blotchy. I have had a few zits, too - nothing major, but more than normal for me. Bear in mind that I have also been using the purity cleanser and the Hope is Not Enough SPF, but I am pretty sure it is the HIAJ. I know there are people who subscribe to the "purging" theory when you try new products - I think that is only possible if you have zits that were already developing underneath the skin beforehand - otherwise, new products should not cause breakouts. I'm still giving it a three because it does soak in beautifully and my skin is baby-smooth.
Edit - I cut out the HIAJ and my skin stopped breaking out, so I am pretty sure this was the culprit. I still really love the Purity cleanser and the Hope is Not Enough SPF, but I am on to Skinceuticals now for treatment products and night moisturizer.