December 21, 2014 | 1554 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2008 3:25:00 PM More reviews by jejkim

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

This is the first Philosophy product I've ever tried and sadly, it was disappointing. Before buying, I read the reviews here and it was split 50/50. The cream goes on well and sinks in nicely, but only if you don't plan on wearing powder foundation or any sort of makeup over it. Right away I noticed it gives my face an orange tinge. It's subtle, but clearly apparent on my very fair complexion. Kinda disturbing. Like others have mentioned, it does have a strange smell (think of when you were younger pulling out your Barbie from the box) that seems synthetic. The first 2 days this stuff worked great and now by the 5th day, I have dry flakes of skin coming off my cheeks near my mouth and my face turns into an oil slick every hour or so. From experience with other products, I've learned lactic acid does no good for my skin. Try this cream out to see if it works for you. It didn't for me!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/11/2008 12:29:00 AM More reviews by bittersweet_delite

The jar is annoying...it gets dried up and contaminated easily. I love the product for drier seasons, but i think they should develop a less rich version for the summer months. Kind of expencive but defiantly makes me skin rosy and glowing. will buy again in the fall.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2008 9:59:00 AM More reviews by CarolinaMidwife

Hope in a Jar is my favorite moisturizer, I have been using it for 5 years straight and I continue to love it. It has a nice, airy, texture and it leaves a rosy glow. If you have dry skin it may not be enough of a moisturizer for you, during the winter I add another type to my dry zones. But for summer weather Hope is light and has a clean fragrance.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/9/2008 5:29:00 PM More reviews by starskye

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was looking for a moisturizer to replace my arbonne moisturizer since it was running low and purchased the small jar of "hope in jar" and it did make my skin look nice and glowing. The only thing is when I put it on my skin and massaged it in, I guess the rubbing formed chunks on my skin, like the moisturizer dried out and I rubbed it off. And I softly massaged it into my skin for less than 30 seconds. So I decided to pat it on lightly and still you could feel it dried off and left little chunks to be wiped off my face. Plus I don't like the packaging. I preferred bottles that squeeze out the lotion rather than sticking my fingers in and out of the jar contaminating it even after I wash my hands.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2008 11:18:00 PM More reviews by skeeto21

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Seems to calm my skin and makes it feel very soft.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2008 4:14:00 PM More reviews by mainlinediva

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My face has a love/hate thing going on with this. First off, this is a great fall/winter moisturizer...summer? Not so much. It's June now and I'm noticing that my face is literally an oil pit by the afternoon...ew! So, back it goes in storage until the fall/winter.
Plus, like other reviewers I'm noticing small bumps on my forehead and temples too. I don't understand how Philosophy can say that people with oily skin can use this? Seriously, if your even a bit oily, stay away from this, unless you want to end up with a grease pit on your face by the afternoon. This is def. for normal/dry skin types.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/1/2008 6:20:00 PM More reviews by NARSlove

After seeing all the rave reviews on TV and magazines, like so many others did, I took the plunge and purchased HIAJ. I have combination skin, and didn't notice any real positive change in my skin texture or appearance. In fact, I'm pretty sure I got little bumps and flare-ups as a result! Points off for the overwhelming smell, which neither myself or my boyfriend could tolerate. Product also consistently burned my skin upon application, making it essentially a waste of money :( I tried to be optimistic about this product, perhaps it may work for others, but not for me, and as a final note, let me add that I have never had particularly sensitive skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/30/2008 2:06:00 PM More reviews by 2lilmonkees

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

HORRIBLE 4 oily skin. i broke out immediately. what a scam. this is SOOOOOOOO oily and full of crap. ewwwwwwww. i used it 4 a week to just "give" it a shot and it took me 3 weeks to fix its craziness. ugh!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/26/2008 8:18:00 PM More reviews by ashley87

It smells awful to me. Also don't like the jar it comes in, it dried out very quickly. I didn't really notice much of a difference in my skin. It felt really greasy and caked on. I don't think I will try this product again.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2008 7:50:00 PM More reviews by alliand

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love Philosophy Hope in a Jar! Before I found this product I skipped moisturizing because every other product I tried would cause me to break out...and I'm not normally a zit-prone person. I'm in my early 30s and really wanted to find a moisturizer to use as part of my daily regiment. I consider my skin 'normal'. I am so glad I found this product...for me, it is the best moisturizer! This was my first Philosophy product, but I am so impressed that I have recently ordered some other Philosophy products and will review once I receive them.