Philosophy Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

2.8

Water (Aqua), Lauryl Lactate, Behenic Acid, behenoxy Dimethicone, Glyceryl stearate Se, Glycerin, Behenyl Alcohol, Pentaerythrityl Tetracaprylate/Tetracaprate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Benzyl Alcohol, Retinyl Palmitate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Stearic Acid, Panthenol, Beta Glucan, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Xanthan Gum, Triethanolamine, Propylene Glycol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea

on 8/1/2008 7:44:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

heard so much about this and was disappointed to be honest. Firstly the smell was awful hard to describe the smell but it doesnt smell nice!my boyfriend even said somethin about the smell. At first I thought it was just mine but no thats the smell! Secondly its not as moisturizin as it claims to be. It did give me skin a nice appearance but for the price i paid for it i expected better!!!

I heard a lot of really great things about this, and I'm always up for trying new skin products so I thought I'd give it a try. I bought a small "sample-sized" jar from Sephora and that alone was $15. The smell took some getting used to...I can't even describe it. The texture was a whip, which I thought would be great. Unfortunately it left my skin with a tacky feeling that took about an hour to go away. The smell stuck sround for a long time too, which bothered me. I didn't think it was all it was cracked up to be. I won't be buying it again.

on 7/27/2008 1:34:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This is absolutely not for all skin types and I hate all the hype Philosophy puts out about this moisturizer to advertise it is. I have sensitive, acne prone skin, and this broke me out immediately. The fragrance is strong and gross and it burns my skin. It did make my skin super soft, but it was very irritiating and clogged my pores so bad I couldn't even appreciate that small benefit.

on 7/23/2008 4:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I really don't get what the hype is about with this product. I guess it has lactic acid so it has a slight exfoliation effect, but the packaging wasn't very sanitary (I prefer tubes, or pumps, or at a minimum a jar with a spatula!). It did make me break out the first few times I used it, even though I was used to using BHAs and AHAs, but then my skin adjusted to it and the breakouts stopped. It was an adequate moisturizer, but it also bothered me that it didn't contain sunscreen. I've read since me finishing my jar that they've come out with a sunscreen version, but I wasn't impressed enough with this product to try it. The smell took some getting used to, but I got over that after awhile. Anyway, I used what I purchased, but I have no plans to repurchase.

on 7/21/2008 12:11:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I bought this at Sephora without trying it first. I figured, "If it's that popular it can't be that bad, right?" Wrong.

It made me break out and I still have several acne scars to prove it, it completely ruined my vacation. It feels very greasy and when it's in your hand it feels like syrofoam or some cheap plastic polymer about to melt.

The fragrance is very cloying and again, smells like cheap scented styrofoam. I would never buy this again and because of this, I stay away from the Philosophy line. It goes to show you (myself included) people do buy into the hype.

The only hope is that there are other companies that make much better products. I looked this up just now and was relieved to find out that other people have had similar experiences and it wasn't just my skin that was weird.

Thanks again, Makeup alley! Again, I would not recommend this to anyone except maybe dry skinned people, and even then, they should request a sample. If you're an oily or combo person don't even bother with a sample. It only took 2 days for it to break me out.

on 7/20/2008 5:39:00 PM

I had never tried any Philosophy products before sine I live in Europe.. A friend purchased this for me going on holiday to NY. What can I say.. My skin is oily and breaks out easily after using this product for a while now I canīt recommend it. I would say that any cheaper face cream is as good as this one.. (if not better)

on 7/20/2008 11:56:00 AM

I love philosophy's bath & body products and face wash, so I decided to request a sample of this hope in a jar from sephora and see how I like it. Now I'm not sure, but maybe there has been a bad batch of these moisturizers sent out because the smell was absoultely intolerable. I'm not one to complain, but as I was applying this to my face and caught a whiff of it, Immediately I got light-headed and I literally gagged and had to catch myself from throwing up - no joke. I immediately ran to wash it off my face and hands, and I still felt nauseated for hours afterwards. I remember a lady calling in to one of Philosophy's qvc shows and asking had the formula been changed because she received a jar of it that smelt similar to sour cream. They told her to send it back because that didn't seem right and the formula had not been changed, but what I smelled was far worse than sour cream. I probably will not be trying anymore of their skincare products.

on 7/19/2008 1:39:00 PM

I'm somewhere in the middle on this product. I bought this after seeing it on QVC and thought it sounded great. The white little paper thing on the top is a pain because I had no clue it was there and when I ripped it off it spilled on my nice, very easily stained satin comforter. It's overpriced and does feel slightly greasy on my normal, sometimes but rarely combo skin. However, recently, I laid out for like four or five hours without sunscreen, I know, I know, but I tan easily and I didn't mean to stay out that long I fell asleep lol...

Anyhow, my entire face was peeling and it was so awful, like, I could barely put make up on and my husband was coming home from Iraq and I didn't want to look gross lol, so I used the DDF Brightening Cleanser because the AHA helps get rid of dead skin. I used that with the little Wave thing from Neutrogena, then I slathered on the hope in a jar. I tried everything before trying that combo, and aloe, clinique dramatically different lotion, even just regular nivea (i was desperate) nothing worked. I would not use this product for any other reason just because it is so thick, but boy it does make my skin look dewy. Atleast try it, especially if you're having a similar situation. FYI, there is a smell to this, I can't describe it, I don't think it's unpleasant, it's just there.

on 7/15/2008 7:44:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product unfortunately broke me out I believe but I am still figuring it out. It's too thick and I can feel it clogging my pores. Luckily i have dry skin so my break outs never get too bad. However, I like that it's in a small tub to put in my purse and great for my neck and the sides of my face coz they get really dry and I never break out there. That's the only reason I would buy it again. Packaging got a two because there was this paper thing in the jar that got stuck wiht the lotion and it was a mess to clean that up.

Don't put it on where you break out easily. My chin started getting pimples after I was using it on a few weeks. I actually like the smell of it.

on 7/13/2008 12:23:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

At the beginning it seemed fine but right away I noticed that my pores were getting plugged, the moisturizer is too tick.

I only use this for my hands to get some value out of this product. Will not buy it again.