Philosophy Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

2.8

Water (Aqua), Lauryl Lactate, Behenic Acid, behenoxy Dimethicone, Glyceryl stearate Se, Glycerin, Behenyl Alcohol, Pentaerythrityl Tetracaprylate/Tetracaprate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Benzyl Alcohol, Retinyl Palmitate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Stearic Acid, Panthenol, Beta Glucan, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Xanthan Gum, Triethanolamine, Propylene Glycol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea

on 7/11/2008 9:32:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Great moisturizer! was shocked at first at the smell.. but you get used to it! almost smells like it's good for your skin... (just in my head i know!) It has definitely improved my skin texture... i see a difference!! not sure if i would of gotten the same results from a different cream... this is only the second one i try. But so far I'm pleased with it!

on 7/10/2008 12:40:00 AM

There was a time I thought this was the best moisturizer ever made. I used it religiously every a.m. and p.m. and my skin looked amazing for months. Then it turned on me, or my skin turned on it, and I started breaking out badly. I stopped using it (and their face wash, which is very overrated) and my skin came back to normal. I thought maybe it was coincidence or something I ate that perhaps caused an allergic reaction, so I tried it again. Within two days my skin went crazy again so I sadly gave it away to a friend. I gave it 3 lips b/c it did make my skin look beautiful for a while and the texture is divine. But something is weird about it and I'm afraid to use it again. They really have to find a better package, too. A big tub is so yesterday, lets too much oxygen in there. Also, the company was sold and then the price went up $5. Nothing much, of course, but I resented it.

on 7/9/2008 4:00:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Medium

I used to be a religious Philosophy girl, used a lot of them products and almost their whole skincare line. Hope in a Jar use to be one of my favorite moisturizers, but as I'm getting older I find that my skin is getting use to it or it just doesn't work as well for me as it did 5 years ago. I would recommend it to people, but I don't LOVE it anymore simply because it doesn't work as well for me now.

on 7/6/2008 2:42:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Got this as part of the Makeup Optional Set (before there was a Congested Skin version), and no, it is NOT "for all skin types". This was way too thick, heavy and greasy for my oily/combo skin.

on 7/4/2008 10:56:00 AM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

I was a little skeptical after reading all of the negative reviews for this product but I have to say after using this for the last month, this has become one of my favorite- can't believe the results type of product! The smell is the only thing I don't like...It's a mixture of wet dog and tangerine. Other than that my skins looks almost flawless! It is super heavy but gentle. I use it at night before bed and wake up with "dewy" skin. I could almost go without makeup (but I refuse, love it too much). This cream really sooths aggravated, inflamed skin too. I can even put it on my super sensitive chest and back with no problem (even Purpose moisturizer makes my chest breakout). The only thing it doesn't seem to do is fade my sun damage spots on my nose and cheeks...may have to get something a little stronger for that. Overall I am pleasantly surprised at the results and would recommend.

on 7/2/2008 2:09:00 AM

i hate this product! i thought i would love it. i received a tester of it and was excited. when i tried it out.. the first thing i noticed was that it smelt really really bad so i was like blehhh i hope this stuff works good=/, then i put it on and it felt so thick and oily on my face...... i waited for it to dry and it took soo soo long. a few hrs later my face felt reallyyyy soft but i hate it cuz i cant use it every morning before makeup when in a rush. i dont like the feel, smell, and everything else about this cept for the fact that it does make it soft. =/ such an irritating product!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Even if this were the best darn moisturizer ever, I would never use it again because of the smell, which is like rotting plastic and does *not* dissipate. I'm going to have to wash my face as soon as I get home or I'm sure the boyfriend will complain. I would. It's the stinkiest product I've ever used.
But it's not even the best moisturizer ever. Not even close! My face has felt greasy all day. I went barefaced thank goodness, because if I hadn't, I'm sure my makeup would be sliding right off. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

on 6/30/2008 10:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

why am i keep buying crappy products... this didn't do anything for me except irritating. yet i didn't breakout hence 3 stars.
no moisturizing quality. too dry. and smells bad. gotta stop buying stuff.

on 6/29/2008 5:46:00 PM

I was really excited when buying this product because I've heard so many good things about it, but it ruined my skin. First off, it smells terrible. Secondly, it completely dried out my combination skin. Every morning when I woke up, I had red bumps all over my skin and it itched like crazy. I started breaking out. I stopped using it within 2 weeks and have gone back to my drugstore Olay Total Effects.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

With all of the hype associated with this product (magazines, television, even Oprah!), I was expecting a fabulous moisturizer.

This moisturizer was way too greasy for my combination sensitive skin! Plus, the smell is terrible (very medicinal, almost rancid). I prefer a moisturizer without fragrance, so I'm not comparing this to floral/fruity moisturizers.

I tried this back when I was in high school and didn't like it. My skin has matured a bit, so I gave it another try a couple of years ago. I still don't care for it.