November 23, 2014 | 2023 users online

Bronzers - BeneFit Cosmetics - HOOLA

rated 3 of 5 on 7/26/2006 6:58:00 AM More reviews by leila12

I don't think that there is such a thing as a perfect powder bronzer..this one is the best I have tried. You *must* use this with a very light hand!! I use a big blush brush (the applicator brush it comes with will just create streaks) and lightly dust all over my face, focusing on where the sun naturally hits. Don't expect to look suddenly tanned just by applying this bronzer..a sunless tanner would be better for that. This bronzer should only be used for a little definition, or to darken a tan. The price is steep for what you get (the cardboard box is ridiculous), but it does not turn your face orange or red (something which most bronzers tend to do) and looks very natural and believable.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/2/2006 2:04:00 AM More reviews by edenzs

I love this bronzer! Very little shimmer (may be matte) means that I can put it all over my face, and the color of the bronzer makes my asian skin look naturally tan (my face is paler than the rest of my body, which tends to be mexican tan in the summer) and blend in with my body. Great texture, great packaging. Excellent especially with a skunk brush.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2006 12:49:00 PM More reviews by Pam_Too

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I LUV HOOLA! LUV it! I even love the cute cute box it comes in (and I have no problem fitting it in my handbag). For reference, I have cool toned highlighted blonde hair, light slightly cool/neutral olive skin, am lightly faux tanned, and I have brown eyes.

If you are olive complexioned and tan "rosey brown", as opposed to "golden", run and get HOOLA! When people describe HOOLA as "muddy", I wonder if they just have a very warm type skintone, or are very fair? Perhaps they need something more along the "coppery/bronzey brown", or maybe "golden brown" tones (NARS Laguna would fit this category). I think HOOLA can be made to work on just about every skintone, as long as it is used very very very lightly.

Looking at HOOLA in the pot (while in the shade), it looks like a matte, medium toned, neutral brown. Looking at HOOLA in sunlight, or once applied, you can see the subtle pink-brown overtone --making it just a bit more lively than a truly neutral brown. I'd call it a mocha brown (brown tinged with slight rose tone).

Applied, HOOLA is much lighter on my skin, than it looks in the box. However, I don't use this product over every inch of my face to fake a tan (use a faux tanner instead). Rather, I apply it much like I would a blush, lightly sweeping over forehead, cheeks, chin (or use as a contour shade), or use as I would a BE allover face colour: I apply it VERY lightly, and with a good quality brush. The HOOLA brush is useless, imho, and is better served as a keyboard cleaner. :/ I use my BE face brush, and the results are perfect: my face takes on a rosey-brown tan glow. NO orange-copper brown tones on me. YAY! Again, use a teeny tiny bit. I tried it on with a heavier hand, and with the brush the product came with, and yes...that does give a dirty face look. So, do use a professional quality face brush with a tiny bit of product. I think those with MMM or darker skintones would do well with HOOLA (it looks great on me as a contour shade, if I am faux tanned).

Fairer skintones may prefer NARS Laguna (which looks best on me when I'm at my palest only).

HOOLA is one product I'm definitely stocking up on!!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/22/2006 8:07:00 PM More reviews by celinei

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love Benefit's products but this one just wont work for me. The color is too dark (& I have olive skin) and the brush is just too small & oddly shaped to get the right amount of product on there. If you can get just a bit of the bronzer on a bigger, fluffier brush it might be great. Maybe if you rip open the cardboard box it comes in and use a better brush, lol.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/18/2006 6:19:00 PM More reviews by mensozasurf

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm already a bit tan so in the summer i just need a bronzer to even out my skin no matter how the darkness of it changes for a low maintenance beauty routine.I'm the kind of girl that hates it when people can tell i'm wearing makeup. I just traded in the horrid shimmery nars laguna for this and am so relieved. They are total opposites. This is matte but not fake or cakey looking, it doesnt make a huge difference in my skin color but i like how its very subtle.It's pretty soft and loose, which makes it a bit messy, but the looser consistency makes it blend better on the skin instead of just sitting on top and making me look dry.Ive just been using it for a couple of days but so far so good! for me its a huuuuuuge impovement from laguna, and everyone i asked agreed my skin looks much better.oh and its cheaper too! when i returned the aforementioned laguna i got to pick up some of the must have rosebud salve too.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/10/2006 11:02:00 PM More reviews by MissMermaid

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

So this is the first summer in years I have decided to avoid the sun and embrace a fake glow I am generally a huge proponent of the pale visage, but I realize every summer that I am tempted by the tan. Every summer I end up burning to tan and I ruin my tattoos and darken pigmentation spots unnecessarily. This summer my boyfriend talked me down from my thoughts of Icarus by purchasing this product and the MAC fx in Golden for me. I am generally dissapointed in Benefit's products and took this home with the expectation that it would soon be returned from whence it came. I was briefly advised by the snotty MA not to use the brush it came with, that it would leave a splotchy and dirty smudge on my face. So of course I had to try it. I was really excited by the product. Perhaps it looks best on pale skin? It looks completely believable without being overwhelming. I wanted a 1950's glow, not a 2006 irradiation. This certainly met my high standards. I even carry the clumsy box around with me because I enjoy the touch up's.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/6/2006 8:03:00 PM More reviews by FireKittenEMT

I'm really glad there are no sparkles in this, which is probably why it looks so natural. I'm surprised that there are poor reviews on the packaging! I *love* it because it looks so pretty on my vanity and the deep container ensures no spillage. Perhaps if you tote it around I can see how it might not be portable, however I only use it at home before going out (I think touch-ups would be a bit much with this stuff). I love the natural look it imparts (all week people have been complimenting me on how good my "tan" looks (hee hee!). Blend, blend, blend, and forget about using the tiny brush they include. Instead I got a big face powder brush and sweep this stuff over my face, neck, chest, and shoulders. Go easy with this stuff, however. I was in a fashion show and applied this copiously to contour my cleavage - by the end of the show I noticed it was actually CREASING in my décolletage (no bueno). As long as I use it sparingly, however, it looks really natural and doesn't crease. Plus Benefit gave me a free Georgia palette with it when I purchased online!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2006 7:23:00 AM More reviews by cosmetiholic

The color of this bronzer is one of the better I've seen, not orange at all. Only problem being so brown, it can look almost dirty on certain skin tones. I like that it is matte, which seems rare in powder bronzers. The cardboard packaging is a bit annoying and the brush is nearly useless. Hoola is ok, but there are btter bronzers out there.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2006 7:38:00 PM More reviews by ErinElizabeth

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I tried a few different bronzers at Sephora before being introduced to Hoola. I love the stuff because it imparts a realistic glow to my light olive skin. I highly recommend using a big, fluffy brush to apply because that little thing included in the packaging is useless. The makeup artist I spoke with at Sephora recommended applying it in a "3-and-E" pattern. The most important thing she told me is to blend, blend, blend so the bronzer doesn't look like a mask.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2006 7:03:00 PM More reviews by girliex601x

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

despite the horrible reviews and poor packaging, this bronzer works with my cool tone skin. i've tried others, and they were just too red, yellow, or orange. hoola works without looking dirty, unless i over apply and that happens with all bronzers.