April 16, 2014 | 1904 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Pro Skincare Brush

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2006 3:36:00 PM More reviews by silvie90

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is one product that truly does what is claims to do--give you great looking skin! If feels very nice and not harsh, but certainly follow general directions for use. With regular (2 x daily) use I have found that this brightens my skin and makes any kind of break out a thing of the past. Best of all, it seems to heighten the efficacy of any other skin care products that I use. Since I invest it pricey skincare stuff, this is a plus for me. With use of the clariconic brush, the products seem more effective and last longer (less product needed per use). Overall, the brush has reduced skin discoloration, fine lines, and increased the brightness and luminosity. Love it. Expensive but sure to last a long time because it is very sturdy and well made. Highly recommended for all except possibly the most sensitive skin types.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2006 10:56:00 AM More reviews by Lipglossdoll

This is a cleansing brush made by the makers of the Sonicare toothbrush. I love my sonicare, so I had to give this a try.
It is a rechargable brush, no batteries needed. It comes with a high and low setting, also 2 different brush heads, normal and sensitive.
I have been using this for about 2 weeks, this is an awesome product!

I did not notice any results the first few days, and if used to often or with harsh cleansers my skin would get reddened. I use this with a rich creamy cleanser, and works great for me now.
I find my skin looks poreless, makeup lasts longer and looks better. I highly recommend this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/24/2006 9:16:00 PM More reviews by Vesper

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have combo/dry (asian) skin and it flakes badly in the winter, so I have been looking for a facial brush for exfoliation. Have been using the Clairsonic brush for about 3 weeks now - definitely works in clarifying and smoothing. I have noticed that acne occurances have gone down (but not completely away) and my skin feels much softer. It also exfoliates my skin so there is less of the flakiness. Don't think it's helped to shrink my pores, though.

One negative note - even on the lowest stength setting and with the soft brush (the set comes with two brushes, one soft and one regular), it was initially TOO HARSH for my skin. The manual recommends using the brush twice a day. But I think my skin wasn't used to that so it gave me these red patches on my cheeks around both sides of the nose. I was a little worried at first, but then switched to once a day and with the Shu Uemura oil cleanser. It's working fine now so I don't think I need to use it twice a day.

Regarding what cleanser to use - I didn't like the cleanser that came with the package, it smelled kind of weird. I typically use Basic or Aveeno but I don't find them to work very well with the Clairsonic brush. Because I have sensitive skin, I need a cleanser that will stay on my face and act as a softening agent between the brush and the skin. Basic or Aveeno cleansers wash away too fast (the brushing process is a bit messy), so by the time I get to my cheeks it's been rinsed away already. I'm using the Shu Uemura oil cleanser now, so that works really well with the brush. Saves me the make-up removing phase as well.
The price is a bit high, but I got the package with a deal where you get 3 extra brushes (total of 5, which is important because you are suppose to replace them every 3 months), and a few other stuff. Still not sure about the price since I'm not sure how long the machine lasts. My sonic toothbrush lasted for about 3 years, so I would consider that a reasonable time. The brush heads are also expensive, though, $25 each so that's another $100 a year. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2006 9:52:00 PM More reviews by chinadoll13

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

OMG!!!!!! This product is amazing!!!!!! I have never spent $200.00 on a face brush but let me tell you gals this brush is worth every penny!! I kept getting this annoying acne on my chin and forehead.....and now it is completely gone.....not only that but my makeup looks so much better and my skin is baby smooth. It has done miracles on my skin. I like the fact that you can use it in the shower since it is waterproof and rechargeable. I am in so in love that I would definately repurchase this again in a heartbeat!! So girls save your money and get yourselves one of these I believe everyone should have one...even men!! A+++++++++++++ all the way!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2006 7:16:00 PM More reviews by lola610

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I paid about $150 for this from Beauty.com through various discounts, promotions and drugstore.com credits so the price wasn't THAT bad (plus there was $20 site credit... so it was only about $130 effectively). My ONLY complaint is that this little gadget is slowly putting my $250 Zeno out of use. The Clarisonic is nothing short of a miracle. I bought it because of a stubborn breakout patch on my right cheek that refused to clear up. Having zero history of this kind of chronic and cystic-like outbreaks, I was at my wits end. Convinced that I can and probably will end up redeeming the 30-day back money guarantee on the Clarisonic, I bought it with a "what the heck" kind of mentality. It took about all of a week for my cheek to return to it's normal state which is to say that I have no zits or bumps whatsoever now. I have had one pimple since I started the Clarisonic regimen on 1/6/2006 and it was under my chin and WAY out of the brush's reach. Although I haven't quiet found the optimal cleanser to use in conjunction with the brush, Cetaphil (morning) and Bliss Clog-Dissolving Milk (night) seem to be working just fine. Stubborn white heads and pores are going away also, although not at a miraculous pace or to a mind-blowing degree. This is as close to a must have as I can think of right now. I hope that eventually, it'll help most of my clogged T-zone pores disppear and until then, I will happily indulge myself in this twice daily ritual. One thing I did notice was that I am one of the few users who find the 1-minute cycle somewhat inadquate yet I balk to use the normal brush head. Nevertheless, the Clarisonic is a keeper. UPDATE: Amazing customer service. My brush handle had a tiny fissure that grew into a large crack. Called their hotline this morning, got straight through to a representative and a new handle is on its way along with a prepaid label to send the old one back. Absolutely stellar service and warranty. UPDATE: Can't rave enough! My skin is great enough to be going foundation free now!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/19/2006 3:53:00 PM More reviews by caartist

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I gave an early review on this unit and I raved about it. I still love the difference this products made to my skin, however, I am not so fond of it anymore. This unit has some serious quality issues. For no apparent reason, the energy of the sonic movement would weaken so much that render this thing useless. This problem comes and goes with no way to predict when it will happen again. I also travel regularly for business, so I don't bring the charger. This unit will NOT last the 14 day, twice a day, 1 minute use the instruction indicates, about half of that if you are lucky. I am not sure if the weaken sonic movement has to do with the fact that I leave this in the shower but I usually remove the brush and try to get rid of all the water in between uses, so I think I am taking good care of it already.

In any case, I am a regular at Nordstorm, so when the salesperson followed up with me about this unit, I told her about the weaken sonic movement. She was very nice and exchanged it for me 2 times over 6 months span, but all of them fall ill of the same problem. If you have the same problem, please post a review accordingly. I realy like to know if it's just my bad luck or there is something wrong with the design.

Update 8/2011 - after using Clarisonic for so many years, I realize it contributes to breakout more than I could ever imagine or willing to admit. The brush head claims to be anti-microbial, but I had a friend did some test in her lab (research scientist) and there is definitely bacterial/microbial build up on the brush head, which probably contirbute to the break out. I replace the brushhead every 3-4 months, so I can't imagine do that any more frequently due to cost. The other aspect is that Clarisonic cleanses so well, it can over dry the top layer skin. It also over stimulate your skin to produce oil. This combination of dry surface but excessive oil production along with bacterial build up on the brush definitely lead to breakout.

Over months/years of experimenting, I am confident in saying you shoudl step down the cleanser by 1 to 2 grades (if you were oily, you should try a normal/combo cleanser). You should also get a more moisturizing moisturzer. I am very oily, but with Clarisonic, I have to use much richer moisturzer and more gentle skin, in order to keep the breakout at bay. if you use anti-acne cleanser and anti-acne moisturzer, it will actually cause me to breakout...

7 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2006 11:47:00 PM More reviews by DreeM

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I should hold off on writing since I just tried this twice, but I'm impressed and amazed with the results. First, the process was just so fabulous-- it felt great to do it, so now i'm looking forward to the ritual of it. In two days: less blackheads on my nose! Greater clarity! Wow. Yes, my skin is smooth and soft to the touch. Makeup went on beautifully. I'm not using their cleanser, I rotate a few glycolics or my PC cleanser. I'm hoping that i'll have fewer breakouts... will update in few weeks!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2006 3:13:00 PM More reviews by koo104

I have been using this brush for 3 weeks now.
Immediately my skin felt smoother. Using the gentle brush and low setting prevented the reddness & irritation I would get when trying dermabrasion kits, alpha serums scrubs etc.
The pores on my nose & chin are getting unclogged ( a first!). It saves on the other products used for it takes much less to absorb into the skin and I have no afternoon shiniess.
Having have some broken capilaries since my pre teens, I have redness that I need to coverup & must be careful with blush anything pink is dangerous.
At 46, my skins looks great. I even was late for work last week ond only had time to put on tinted moisurizer along with my primer. Then I quickly added a little of the Nars South Beach multible on.
My boss exclamed over how pretty my skin is; amazed I could pull of a "no make up" look. The compliments have been coming since I started using.
I work in a very image consious fashion environment. When the oldest gal in the office is the one getting compliments how her skin, something is working.
The previous reviewer suggested that ones with broken capilaries do not use this.
Well, in my care they are less noticable, taking much less to even out out my skin. It could be because they were damaged so long ago? This is coming after the holidays when I skin is usually at it's worse. I have had my hormonal pimples that cleared up in a day instead of a week or two.
My results have already sold a few co-workers on this brush.
I could not be happier.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2005 7:42:00 PM More reviews by divafx

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This brush is amazing! I got this for christmas 2005 and have to say that i'm totally and completely in love with this thing! For years i've struggled with clogged pores on my nose. I've tried every serum, every prescription cream, and finally have resorted to weekly facials. This brush was the answer to my problems. After two days of using this the clogs on my nose were gone and my skin was less congested and smoother. I was astounded at the results. As an added bonus the extra exfoliation and cleansing I'm getting seems to enable my skin serums to penetrate deeper and work more efficiently. I don't know how i survived without this thing. I have a professional motorized brush on my esthetic machine that I use for client facials and had used several times to try and loosen the clogs on my nose but with very little luck. This brush blows my "pro" machine out of the water.I'm seriously considering purchasing a second for use on clients.

In case you don't know what the clarisonic brush is, it's a facial brush that you use with your cleanser to help remove buildup. There are several handheld non motorized versions of this brush and you can find handheld motorized versions through professional esthetic and dermatologic suppliers. What sets this brush apart is the sonic technology. According to the manufacturer the sonic waves loosen and "shake" out the dirt and gunk from your pores and off the top layer of your skin thus giving you a more thorough cleansing. This is basically a sonicare tootbrush except it's face sized to use on the entire face. It has one outside ring of bristles that are stationary and one inside set of bristles that are oscillating. It comes with two brushes, one for sensitive skin and one for normal skin. I find the normal skin brush a bit harsh but those with thicker skin types might like it. This brush also comes with a "clarisonic cleanser" which i can't recommend. One of it's main components is carageenan which is a known pore clogger. You're better off to use your own cleanser. My favorite cleanser to use with this is the Dermadoctor Wrinkle Revenge Antioxidant cleanser, cream cleansers tend to give the brush a little more slip than a foaming cleanser will.

I do have to caution that anyone with cystic acne or couperose (broken capillaries or veins on the face) shouldn't use this brush. Those with cystic acne could be busting open the cysts causing more cysts and scarring. Anyone with cystic acne shouldn't scrub or use pressure on their skin to avoid rupturing cysts and spreading infection. Anyone with broken capillaries should also avoid scrubs and electronic facial brushes to prevent further damage to thin skin and weak capillaries. Everyone else should use this brush and enjoy the heck out of it!

This brush is worth every penny and more! Can't recommend it enough for those of us with mild to moderate acne or for anyone with normal/dry skin who want a really thorough cleansing and exfoliation to better aid their skincare serums. My skin looks 100% better after using this. Definitely a winner!

Also wanted to add that this is a fabulous face brush for men. My husband steals mine and has noticed less ingrown hairs and a closer shave due. He's a product phobic and won't use any type of skincare on his face but he really loves my brush. Men should have one of these too!

**Update Christmas 2006****
I just want to add a rave for Clarisonic's customer service. I had a small problem with my brush and they immediately replaced it for me. They were so nice on the phone and very helpful. This is what customer service should be.
I still recommend this brush to friends and clients and now I can tell them that not only is the product phenomenal but so is their customer service. :)

32 out of 33 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No