August 30, 2014 | 1817 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Glow Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2010 11:15:00 PM More reviews by Maripabli

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I could not have been more wrong about this!! A while back when I tried this foundation out for the first time I hated it! I have dry, sensitive skin and thought that for a product targeted towards a dry skin type that it was not very moisturizing at all. Well, if there are any girls here that think this, I have to say I take it back. I initially did like about this foundation that it did not break me out and now that I am trying it out for the second time I feel the same way. However, the first time I tried this, my skin care routine was different and it did not hydrate my dry skin as well as the one I use now. After reading Mario Dedivanovic s blog (Kik K makeup artist), he said something about using a very emollient moisturizer on Kim before applying foundations like the Nars Sheer Glow or MUFE HD. And that got me thinking that maybe the problem I had with the Sheer Glow was not foundation but the moisturizer I was using (clinique dramatically dif moisturizing lotion). So I bought it again in the shade Barcelona and it turns out my suspicion was correct!! It looks amazing on my skin now and does not emphasize any dryness at all. It stays looking very luminous all day long. It has a satin finish and I would say that depending on the application method you can get light-medium to medium-full coverage. All in all, I am pleasantly surprised by this and feel very bad for giving it an incredibly bad review on makeupalley the first time I tried it. If you have dry skin and found the same problem I had initially try to use a very hydrating moisturizer like the Kiehls panthenol protein one which is amazing!!! =)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2010 4:03:00 AM More reviews by mochacino

With so many raves regarding this foundation on youtube and some forums, I decided to give it a try. I was matched with the colour Fiji and it was the perfect shade for me. A lot of people find that this shade is too yellow but i have yellow-toned skin so this suits me best. First of all this foundation is marketed for normal-to-dry skin. NARS does have another version of this foundation that suits normal-to-oily skin called Sheer Matte. However, some reviews said that the Sheer Mate formula is rather hard to blend compared to the Sheer Glow. The reviews also said the Sheer Glow seems to have decent oil control that makes it also suitable for slightly oily skin. I have combination-oily skin with some dried acne flakes, so i decided to try Sheer Glow.

First impression was the foundation doesn't have a pump. I prefer foundation with pump just for hygiene reason. The texture and coverage was great. It covers all my dark spots from acne very well so i don't need to put concealer on top. The texture was creamy enough so it is easy to blend. I use my MAC 187 brush to apply this foundation. I also like the glowy finish of this foundation which makes my skin looks healthy especially during the winter months. Note that i didn't put any primer prior to the application, just a normal moisturizer underneath. It lasts on me for approximately half a day before i need to blot my face. I find it best not to put powder on top of this foundation, especially if you have dried acne flakes like me. It accentuates the dried skin when you put powder with this foundation. Plus the powder will mattify the finish of this foundation which is not what I'm after. It looks more natural by itself, just like ur second skin.

Ooh, and so far I haven't experience any break-outs with this foundation. LOVE IT!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2010 9:41:00 PM More reviews by fustyluggz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I wear Deauville (NW20 for reference), which matches better than any other liquid foundation I've used. I have been using this daily for about a month now and it's really the best liquid foundation that I've used. It glides on the skin easily and it is well pigmented so I don't have to use a ton of it. I *hate* foundation that feels (and looks) caky and heavy on the skin. With this my skin really does look and feel softer with no caking at all. The only real problem that I have is that I have very oily skin and this doesn't last long on me. After a few hours I'm really just an oily mess where foundation once was. This disappoints me because I wanted this to be HG. The price tag is hefty at $42 and I like it but I don't absolutely 100% love it so I can't justify purchasing it again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2010 5:24:00 PM More reviews by PurpleCupcake87

Another beautful foundation tht I cannot wear ): I broke out all along my jaw line, then again I have sensitive skin. Looked flawless in pictures and lasts all day. Wore it to santa cruz and it held up nicely through the heat. I'm nc 30 and I was matched with stromboli

rated 4 of 5 on 8/14/2010 5:43:00 AM More reviews by hellokatekat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This foundation is easy to blend and gives a nice dewy look thats almost flawless. My two biggest problems with this foundation is the too much yellow-ness it has in it and it dries out in certain places on my skin. Five minutes into wearing it i have dried up little patches on my skin. I don't know if it's just my skin thats particularly dry in the area or what. It seems to only happen with this foundation tho.

The packaging sucks, I wish they would have put in a pump on top. Overall I gave 4 lipsticks cause of the packaging, pricing and the too much yellow tone it has. BUT, besides that, i do think it is a good quality product that gives a nice flawless look. I will repurchase again.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2010 5:21:00 AM More reviews by JadePixie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Love this foundation, for me it really is sheer and glowy, it seems to get better as the day wears on and makes me skin look even yet still like my skin, not like I have a mask of makeup on, only con for me is that it sticks to dry patches.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2010 4:18:00 PM More reviews by Svanhvit

HG foundation for me. I have quite dry skin, except on my nose which is oily, and I use Mont Blanc, which is very light with pink undertones. Most foundations are too dark for me but Sheer Glow has a ton of colours, including shades especially designed for Asian skins. Coverage is medium - it gets rid of all redness but wouldn't cover a big red spot. Keeps shine away and lasts all day. My nose looks airbrushed after I use this, even though I have large pores and some blackheads, so I'm happy! Its really expensive though and doesn't come with a pump, it's just a glass bottle with a screw top - annoying.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2010 1:45:00 AM More reviews by fabs162

I got this foundation 3 weeks ago and I waited to review it because I made the mistake of reviewing MUFE HD foundation after one use and it ended up braking me out really bad so I took at back to sephora and exchanged it for this. And I must say I am in love!!! This is a great foundation I got in Stromboli and although it's a bit light for my skin right now i just use some bronzer and it perfect it will be great alone in the winter. Now although it is called sheer glow this foundation does not offer sheer coverage it is more of medium to full coverage and even thought it says it's a glowy foundation it dries to more of a semi matte finish and as the day goes on and the foundation blends with the oils on your face it looks more glowy but not oily, it also doesn't have any shimmer or sparkle. I have combination acne prone skin and it has not broken me out or dried out my skin like MUFE HD did and it makes my skin look beautiful and it looks like skin and not like your wearing make up. I hbe found my hg foundation!! I also don't mind not having a pump because I have better control of how much pridust I use without a pump. I apply this with a stippling brush and after it dries I set it with MUFE HD powder and it looks flawless.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2010 4:24:00 PM More reviews by LilMizz

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Don't believe the reviews that state this has medium-full coverage. It really doesn't.

Background info: Im medium complected and deep olive, around C40 in MAC, MUFE 153. My skin is combination (oily t-zone, normal elsewhere). I have suffered from mild/moderate acne in the past so although my skin is clear looking at the moment, I have a lot of reminders I want to conceal.

So my experiences with this. I always get matched wrong (the SA actually matched me to Cadiz first time round, yes, 4 shades too dark). Because I'm quite olive, they assume we are orange and dark. Nope! If you have olive undertones and are around NC30-NC35, try Stromboli. It's the only one in the range specifically for olive complexions. Now the colour does run a little pale, but once shaken and blended into the skin, the undertones match and it looks okay. As I'm C40, I like to deepen the colour of Stromboli by mixing it with my other skin-friendly foundation (No7 Beautifully Matte) which is a little darker, and that is my flawless face winning combination. If you're not into the whole mixing and experimenting thing, and are darker than NC35, you should try Barcelona which is deeper but less olive and ever so slightly pinker. The next ones above these (Syracuse/Tahoe) are very very warm-toned and will probably turn muddy on us olive girls.

The consistency is weird. It's very runny (it's advisable to shake the bottle before dispensing), but when you apply it to the skin it's not smooth or easy to blend. It dries up really REALLY fast on the skin, so I have to do small sections at a time. It may turn cakey if you don't blend it in quickly. Because of it's formula, it does indeed work better when applied with fingers because you can press the foundation into the skin more so the texture of the foundation somewhat softens. Despite its strange cakey texture (very similar to Sheer Matte) it provides only SHEER-MEDIUM natural looking coverage.

It definitely is sheer for me, but buildable to medium natural looking coverage. It's sheer because one layer of foundation will even out your skintone and give you a healthy look, like a tinted moisturiser with more coverage. But one layer doesn't cover my acne marks or even my freckles for that matter, my freckles still show through and they're really faint! For comparison's sake, MAC Studio Fix Fluid will completely cover my freckles without me even wanting it to. Back to NARS - If I want to build it up to medium coverage I will pat some more foundation into the skin where it needs more coverage and it will look acceptable for me at this point. Not amazing, but nice nonetheless. For me, this dries to a completely matte finish. I don't see any 'satin' sheen on the skin. It is really matte but it sits on the skin in a natural way (unlike MUFE which sat heavy/greasy), it looks and feels like second skin. I can stroke my cheeks and they feel so smooth. My skin feels like it can breathe. And the glow? I do see a subtle radiant golden glow, but that just could be my skin you know... ;)

After about 4 hours this foundation will have fully settled into the skin. As I have oily areas, I noticed this foundation can breakdown easily there. Some shine develops and and the coverage is now wearing off. If I put a tissue against my cheek, it transfers. So for me it has poor lasting power, which is really disappointing. The good 'fresh faced' look lasts between 3-4 hours before it needs touch ups. However, it lasted much longer (6hrs) over my MAC Prep+Prime SPF50 primer. Since my winning combination of mixing it with Beautifully Matte, I noticed it lasts a lot longer and I now go without oil-controlling primers, successfully.

Overall, because I like a medium-full coverage I like to mix it with a fuller coverage foundation or go over it with the Stromboli powder foundation. I think this is the perfect foundation for someone who has normal skin and who doesn't need much coverage. However, if you're willing to make to make this foundation work for you the results can be gorgeous. I do notice that my skin comes out glowy and flawless in pics, and my bottle is nearly empty so I will be repurchasing.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2010 3:09:00 AM More reviews by ecstacyfeind

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

so if your looking for a foundation that feels light on your skin but will give you a gorgeous finish this is the foundation for you. its fucking expensive but for some reason i bought it anyways cus i was looking for a good foundation. i tried the color stromboli which is a PERFECT match for my skin. i usually wear nc35 in mac, and medium beige in revlon photoready. i like to apply this with my fingers because i like a really natural finish, but for those days when i look like fucking shit and need more coverage i use a mac 187 brush or a small flat buffer brush sephora(#43) and it gives me crazy good yet natural coverage. i do have oily skin and this doesnt make me any more oily, but i do use milk of magnesia which mattifies my skin like no other.