September 23, 2014 | 1334 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2008 4:20:00 AM More reviews by iwasntlazyinmay

It's a great base for eyeshadows. I personally don't like it as an eyeshadow because it makes me look dead on my C4 skin. However, it helps my eyeshadows stay on longer and not crease! The MA suggested this vs rubenesque because it's matte and will look good as a base for any eyeshadow. Whereas if you get a frosty/metallic paint pot and use it as a base for an everyday shadow such as a frost from MAC it will look too frosty. She stated you want different textures of eyeshadow to blend the differences and in doing so, you get better results and really eye popping makeup. I suggest this to those not familiar with paint pots or willing to try their first one. The packaging is good...however I'm still afraid I'm going to drop it and break it. But I feel the product is in there safely and will not melt or break down.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/17/2008 3:47:00 PM More reviews by LaFemmeN

The colour is perfect for a base to wear under eyeshadow or to wear on its own. For everyday makeup, I use this on my lid to brighten my eye area and then I finish with mascara - quick, easy in the mornings. When I do more dramatic looks, I always wear this underneath my eyeshadow because it keeps it in place and lasts long. It stays well; however, if you have oily lids I could see it being more of a problem. Only downside is that you have to blend quickly because it dries fast. I find my finger works best for applying it, but I use a brush to scoop some out and then put on my hand.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2008 11:15:00 AM More reviews by cycliclines

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This was the part of my first MAC purchase and I am a complete convert. I purchased Painterly as a base along with Honey Lust and Corduroy. I am very new to new to wearing makeup (especially shadows), so after using this paint pot and reading the other reviews, I am convinced that I lucked onto the right base from the beginning. I like wearing this alone with light mascara or as a base for other colors. Worn alone, (upper lid and under the eye) it really brightens and freshens my face. I also use it as a base for everthing. I have never had any problems with creasing, it blends like a dream and my other shadows stay put all day long. I was worried about being able to apply shadows easily/correctly as I have had no experience but Painterly simplified the entire process. I only have to use a very small amount for full coverage so this will last me forever.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2008 3:21:00 PM More reviews by chowchowface

Definitely, definitely HG material. While I cannot say that it's better than my beloved UDPP, I can see Painterly as being perfect for anyone with dry/not so oily lids. It's a pale, creamy beige color without any sparkle or shimmer. It goes on super creamy but dries to a semi-powdery finish. On my lids alone, it brightens my whole eye area and makes me look more refreshed/awake (it is a few shades lighter than my skin tone). The slight creaminess of the product's formula really makes eyeshadows more vivid and keeps them from fading away better than UDPP alone. I have SUPER SUPER oily lids so if I apply Painterly only, my shadow will eventually crease. However, a thin layer of UDPP underneath a THIN (amount is key... too much and it will crease) layer of this paint pot is perfection. My eyeshadow will stay put all day (even in the Houston humidity and heat) while not fading at all. I also think that this paint pot makes eyeshadows a million time more blendable. With UDPP by itself, any attempts at blending turns my eye makeup into a muddy mess. The UDPP + paint pot makes blending easy and prevents my eyeshadow from muddying itself.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2008 8:53:00 PM More reviews by definesinister

Don't know why I would shell out 18 dollars for some UDPP, when 1) The Bottle sucks like @!)* 2) Dries up faster, though it does give color payoff 3) Waste product, 18 bucks is a lot for three months, yo. Sooo... now the pluses about paint pot (lol), I learned from artist at mac how to be more self-conscious about hygiene. Which is to simply scrape off the product straight from the paint pot with a mini spatula. This will last you monthssss. Probably bought my first pot more than 3 months (?) ago, still only used 25%. So ladies, if you're looking for a good base for everyday, this is it. Personally, I think the paint pots worth looking into are (at least from perm. line) Painterly, Rubenesque, Greenstroke, Bare Study, Indianwood, Soft Ochre. anddd... You can B2M this when your done. I know sephora has all those other brands that are similar (even in color) as paint pots, but IMO I feel so confused everytime I go into that store (lol). But then when I find stuff I like and go to the register, I freak out b/c of the price I have to pay, sighs. Anyway, starting to get into a rant about other topics, lets just keep it simple. Holy Grail Status. Enough said.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2008 10:11:00 AM More reviews by WenchMartha

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

LOVE it. Makes my aging eyes look creamy smooth. Screw UDPP. Hello, Painterly.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/28/2008 11:22:00 PM More reviews by PaintedBlue

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This has become an HG product for me. It's so close to the actual shade of my eyelid (NW25) so it evens everything out, hiding all of the darkness, discoloration, imperfections, etc...
Makes a much better eyeshadow base than UDPP, IMO because it doesn't suck all the life from my eyelids. It feels nice going on. I apply it with the MAC 242.
I want to run out and buy all of these now. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/17/2008 10:51:00 PM More reviews by sanfrancisco48

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a wonderful base for MAC pigments. It holds the pigment in place, brightens the color, and it doesn't crease on me. I also use it for regular eyeshadows, too, but naturally I put UDPP underneath everything to begin with. I love MAC's paints and was happy with the tube configuration, but these new pots seem OK to me now.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/17/2008 10:33:00 PM More reviews by missgiggly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this along with Rubenesque, and thought I'd love the shimmer p/p more but this one seems to go on much smoother, and creamier. It also is a great base for my skin tone, and it made a colour like Sumptuous Olive pop out more, than when I used any other blank base. (Using Sumptuous Olive over Rubenesque made it seem more 'Golden Olive' - not a bad thing) But I love this, and will definitely buy it again. I happen to love the little pots, and would prefer this over a tube any day.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/17/2008 8:15:00 AM More reviews by bronzebabe19

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This jar is huge and the amount will last me a lifetime! Painterly is a flesh toned with pink hues, matte color. It makes a great eye shadow base. The pink hues brighten up and even my lid area, and it helps my eyeshadow stay put all day! I haven't tried or bought UDPP as my eyelids are already dry. The UDPP I'm afraid would make them look crepey, so Painterly is the pick for me!