MAC Paint Pot in Painterly

4.3

Isodocecane, dimethicone, polyethylene, hydrogenated polyisobutene, quaternium-90 bentonite, dimethicone silylate, octyldodecanol, silica, trihydroxystearin, retinyl palmitate, tocopheryl acetate, lecithin, carnauba wax, propylene carbonate, triethoxycaprylylsilane. May contain: mica, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, bismuth oxychloride, blue 1 lake, carmine, chromium hydroxide green, chromium oxide greens ferric ferroxyanide, manganese violet, ultramarines, yellow 5 lake.

on 11/1/2008 7:05:00 PM

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this paint pot! It has become one of my 5 must-have items in my makeup bag. My other 4 musts are MAC mineralize skinfinish natural powder, MAC blacktrack fluidline eyeliner, Lancome hypnose mascara and MAC satin taupe. It was originally my new find to prevent my greasy/oily asian lids from smearing my waterproof eyeliner..yep even waterproof eyeliner would smear all over my under eye! Gross, I know! It is a GREAT skin colored eyeshadow base (I'm NC 25 and it is slightly lighter) without shimmer or chunks of glitter that are in the other paint pots and there is plenty in there! It comes in a cute glass jar with a black lid. There is so much in there that I actually split the paint pot with my sister and we're both happy! I've had this current pot for over a year and I still have a good 1/2 of it in there! I put this all over my lids to even out the color even if I wear no eyeshadow. When using shadow with it, the eyeshadow doesn't crease, eyeshadow is very vivid, and keeps eyeliner on all day! I will continue to re-purchase!!!

on 10/15/2008 1:16:00 PM

This is my HG! I have allergies and many times my eyelids are wet and this is the only product that keeps my eyeshadows from creasing. I love it. I use a taklon brush from the art supply store to apply then smooth with my fingertips. I usually apply MAC Schroom over it for a nice base then my Kat Von D shadows (my new favs) over that. It seems like a lot of layers but it works for me. I can't live without this product.

on 10/7/2008 10:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I started having problems with UDPP. It was making my eyelids burn. It felt warm when I applied it, so I gave Painterly a try and I'm so glad I did. It works beautifully on my oily lids. I've been using it under my NARS Best palette and my shadows last the entire school day. I really couldn't believe it. It feels kind of sticky when applied, but I guess that holds the eye shadow in place. I have been using it for a few weeks and I'm very impressed. I will definitely buy again.

on 9/29/2008 12:27:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I normally use UDPP as a base, but I use other things as well just depending on what look I am trying to achieve. I use Painterly Paint pot over my UDPP when I need more coverage over my lid and when I have the time!

Alone without the UDPP this goes on kinda tacky. I use a foundation brush to apply it with UDPP underneath. I have dry allergy afflicted eyes and lids so I shouldn't be wearing makeup at all right now!

I took off one lippie because I can't apply it without UDPP underneath and get a flawless affect. However, Painterly Paint Pot has coverage that UDPP does not. I love both far too much to use one without the other!

UPDATE: I have noticed my eyeshadow works so much better with UDPP. Painterly PP was drying out my lids and after a while the color was wearing down in my crease (UDPP never does that to me)! Also, NYX jumbo pencil in Milk is much better at bringing out the vibrancy of colors than Painterly. If I had to repurchase today I would pass because dry lids are painful!

on 9/28/2008 10:32:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Ok, so all primers have pros and cons to them. A lot of people are saying they may prefer UDPP for its' non-creasiness and durability in keeping your eyeshadow application and they are right. Some like Too-Faced Shadow Insurance as well as it's very similar to UDPP but with better packaging and it allows maybe just a touch more blend-ability with eyeshadow application. However, Painterly Paint Pot is so great in its' own right as well. I like how it's such a opaque creamy nude color which is great for going over any eyelid color or blood vessel flaws and I also like how it leaves a thicker layer compared to UDPP, so it smooths out your eyelid. Lastly, I like how it leaves a creamy application which makes it easy for more powdery products like pigment powders, or mineral eyeshadows to stick to (aside from using a cream base). If you get oily lids and are using this on it's own and expect it to last crease-free and not let any of your eye makeup slide for longer than an 8-hour day, you're wrong....as eventually it may crease a bit or some of your shadow may slide just a bit (depending on how oily you get) but if you just use UDPP or even Too-Faced Shadow Insurance, you'll get a longer, crease-free hold, but your shadows will not blend as easily.
Solution? For a truly long-wearing look that will last probably a day and a half, use UDPP or Too-Faced Shadow Insurance as your initial base and then use Painterly Paint pot on top to help with your actual application and blending. Using both products for me anyways, is not necessary for a regular day at work when I'm out for about 10 hours a day and then back home, but for a super-long day, you'll appreciate the benefits of both products. Love the packaging and how you can use your finger or a brush.
It lasts a long time as well considering daily use. If you don't have oily eyelids than you will probably find using this alone may suit your needs and you don't need anything else.

on 9/26/2008 10:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I've used Bare Canvas in the original paint for several years, and I like it. But when I ran out, I looked at several other lines and options for an eye primer, just to see if there was something I liked better. I liked the smoothness of this, but unfortunately the color was too dark for my lids. I like that it's a pinker tone than the Bare Canvas and if it were a shade or two lighter, it would be perfect for me. I can see for many people this would be an ideal color - but none of the colors in the paint pots work for my skin coloring. Also, I don't know what it is about the pots versus the regular paints, but there's something in this that really irritates my eyes...but it could just be me.

on 9/26/2008 7:00:00 PM

i didn't care for the thick/very dry texture. it was hard to blend and didn't make my e/s pop like MAC's foundation pot and Paint Pot in Bare Study. i was really looking forward to this being a great product for me but unfortunately, didn't pan out. i have to say, however, i'm an NC30 and this is a PERFECT match to my skintone!

**EDIT** my cousin recommended applying with my finger (vs. a brush which i previously applied with) and OMG, i LOVE it now!!! it works wonderfully and is the *BEST* base ever! I actually apply this under other bases, such as Bare Study and Rubenesque, as it gives a smoother, more even application and NEVER creases. I can't believe it's such a change from application with a brush, i would definitely recommend applying with your finger!

on 9/21/2008 12:12:00 PM

I absolutely love this as a primer for my eyeshadow, it goes on smooth, dries quickly, and my eyeshadow NEVER creases or fades, it's awesome!! No touch ups for me ever!! I will buy this again and again. I want to try UDPP sometime but I am afraid to leave my paint pot! LOL =) P.S. I also use this under my bottom lashes to help my liner and or eyeshadow stay on longer there too!!

on 9/20/2008 11:33:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This is my HG base! I always use Ulta's nude colored eye shadow base and Painterly on top of that. I love Painterly, it's the most gorgeous nude color, it's the perfect base. Plus, with the amount you get, it lasts forever! I have a few paint pots and Painterly by far is my favorite and the only one I will run back to repurchase. It goes on very smooth and it's super creamy. I find that it hugs my eyelids and makes eyeshadows go on better. A must have if you don't have this already!

on 9/11/2008 3:49:00 AM

I ran across this product in search of an eyeshadow that will actually stay on my skin. This product lasts all day. Sometimes I use it as a base and put one of my favorite powder shadows on top, and it makes that stay all day! The product was difficult to use, since I have always used powder shadows which go on smooth, delicately, and with the same consistency. The consistency of this product is like a stiff cream. It pulls and tugs the eyelids, which I am not a fan of, but since I started using a brush it doesn't pull nearly as much and goes on much lighter. Overall, it's a great product that takes a lot of practice to learn how to use. You might feel like giving up and pitching it, but if you have probems with eyeshadows creasing it's worth the effort of learning how to use it.