Chanel No.5

3.5

on 9/26/2003 7:06:00 AM

it s The Perfume! for me the #5 is a modern woman, not an icon not a whore.

on 9/25/2003 5:34:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Neutral

This may be labeled as one of the most popular fragrances out there, but I don't see why! I don't like the smell of this at all, smells like something my nana would use!

on 9/24/2003 2:58:00 AM

I guess I don't have a very sophisticated nose. I just don't see what is so great about this fragrance. It reminds me of my grandma's perfume.

on 9/17/2003 7:21:00 PM

Wow, this just goes to show how different noses can come to entirely different conclusions. Chanel #5 is a breath of fresh air (not typically said of "classics") in a day and age when most fragrances are formulated to be "fresh," which to my nose means sharp and acrid. #5 is the opposite: soft and round, clean in a totally non-antiseptic way -- to use musical language, a nice dose of bass in a scent world of too much treble.

on 9/17/2003 12:14:00 AM

No matter how classic it is, Chanel No. 5 is still the most putrid stench my nose has ever come across. It is overly powdery, smells very dated (1920s!), and the aldehydes don't help either. However, it's not as bad as Christian LaCroix's C'est La Vie...

This gives me one whopping headache. Maybe this is what did Marilyn Monroe in. Haaaaappy Birrrrrthdaaay Mr. Preeesideeent,

Another classy fragrance that I just can't bring myself to wear. This one will also be going to my mother, whom it will smell fabulous on. A nice introduction to aldehydes as well, although I've discovered that my husband hates them. Que sirrah, sirrah.

on 9/1/2003 9:30:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I love Chanel's Coco, Coco Mademoiselle, and Allure... but #5... I'll never be caught wearing... it's strong... and brings to mind something "ancient"... LOL... I gave this to my grandma... I still dunno how she likes it though!!! haha... :D

I sampled this today and the fragrance is very heavy and smells old ladyish. It reminds me of Oil of Olay, but really strong.

on 8/27/2003 2:55:00 PM

Sorry Marilyn, Coco. This is one scent that has not stood the test of time. It may have been revolutionary in the Art Deco era, but now there are so many better scents out there. One plus: it didn't irritate my allergies, which is unusual. Other than that, the smell was just outdated and generic smelling. It's something I my grandmother wears- she has excellent taste and wouldn't be caught dead in polyester, and this smell fits her just right, but definitely not me! My husband sniffed my wrist and said. "Hmmm. Old people." That about sums it up.

Popular Fragrances