Chanel No.5

3.5

on 9/17/2003 7:21:00 PM

Wow, this just goes to show how different noses can come to entirely different conclusions. Chanel #5 is a breath of fresh air (not typically said of "classics") in a day and age when most fragrances are formulated to be "fresh," which to my nose means sharp and acrid. #5 is the opposite: soft and round, clean in a totally non-antiseptic way -- to use musical language, a nice dose of bass in a scent world of too much treble.

on 9/17/2003 12:14:00 AM

No matter how classic it is, Chanel No. 5 is still the most putrid stench my nose has ever come across. It is overly powdery, smells very dated (1920s!), and the aldehydes don't help either. However, it's not as bad as Christian LaCroix's C'est La Vie...

This gives me one whopping headache. Maybe this is what did Marilyn Monroe in. Haaaaappy Birrrrrthdaaay Mr. Preeesideeent,

Another classy fragrance that I just can't bring myself to wear. This one will also be going to my mother, whom it will smell fabulous on. A nice introduction to aldehydes as well, although I've discovered that my husband hates them. Que sirrah, sirrah.

on 9/1/2003 9:30:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I love Chanel's Coco, Coco Mademoiselle, and Allure... but #5... I'll never be caught wearing... it's strong... and brings to mind something "ancient"... LOL... I gave this to my grandma... I still dunno how she likes it though!!! haha... :D

I sampled this today and the fragrance is very heavy and smells old ladyish. It reminds me of Oil of Olay, but really strong.

on 8/27/2003 2:55:00 PM

Sorry Marilyn, Coco. This is one scent that has not stood the test of time. It may have been revolutionary in the Art Deco era, but now there are so many better scents out there. One plus: it didn't irritate my allergies, which is unusual. Other than that, the smell was just outdated and generic smelling. It's something I my grandmother wears- she has excellent taste and wouldn't be caught dead in polyester, and this smell fits her just right, but definitely not me! My husband sniffed my wrist and said. "Hmmm. Old people." That about sums it up.

on 8/23/2003 12:09:00 AM

I never cared for this sent much (it smelled like baby wipes) untill my Great-Grandmother past away, she wore it every day since she was a girl. Now it's one of my favs. It's a very classic scent, soft, easy to wear. I feel classy when I wear it, like I should have a string of pearls around my neck and men grovling at my feet!

on 8/14/2003 11:00:00 AM

Love this scent. I've worn it forever...every summer...and never tire of it. It smells light and clean and fresh on my skin and never seems to irritate family members who have allergies to scents.....a true classic

on 8/5/2003 9:18:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I don't get it. I don't know any old ladies who smell like this, but that's all I can think of when I smell this fragrance-- old and powdery (and I like powder). On my skin this is not very nice.

Popular Fragrances