BeneFit Cosmetics HOOLA

4.1

on 6/29/2008 10:07:00 AM

One word: Barbados in a box (okay, 4 words then).

First things first; I have an olive skin tone due to my Portuguese heritage, so I am tan all year round. However, I am never one to pass up the oppurtunity of looking even darker. Hoola retails at 22.50...hmmm, pretty expensive, but I was feeling genorous with my cash that day & decided to splurge. It comes in a little cardboard box, with illustrations of a bamboo twig on it. I must say, I wasn't particularly impressed with the packaging considering the price, but suprisingly, my little box has proved to be quite resiliant & less prone to breakage like my other compacts when I drop them on the tiled floor.

Upon opening the box, all I saw was a brown matte formula, with no nasty orange tones or shimmers to it whatsoever. On applying to my face, the texture is very smooth & silky. I recommend not using the little brush it comes with as it picks up too much product (well, if you want to look like you've indulged in a turkish mudbath...) & doesn't blend the product all that easily. I use a high quality dense kabuki brush to buff it in & it goes on flawlessy.

The colour pay off is brilliant, in my humble opinion. I did not resemble a satsuma, or look like a 70's disco ball with shimmer. Just a gorgeous, brown colour...like I've been on holiday & come back with a nut brown tan. I can imagine fairer skinned ladies having to use a light hand with this bronzer as you may look borderline orange. But for us with darker skintones (e.g tan, olive) it's a pretty safe bet using this all over the face. I've had my Hoola for over 1.5 years now & I still am nowhere near to finishing, so the price isn't actually all that bad considering.

Lasting power is great also -- this lasts all day (& I sweat like a horse on helium) without the need for touch ups. This is by far the best bronzer I've used, & I will repurchase this as soon as I run out.

on 6/28/2008 2:54:00 PM

UGH I hate benefit's cardboard boxing! I am a messy girl and I throw makeup in bags and purses and cardboard just wears down so fast and makes it look like a piece of ****. Anyhow, I LOVE hoola because its one of those rare matte bronzers with no shimmer. It's great for people like me with oily skin and don't want anymore added shine. I think the color is just perfect and the little brush it comes with is absolutely cute

on 6/23/2008 8:41:00 AM

This is an alright bronzer. I got it once as a gift, and repurchased myself - but after trying a few other brands I am less of a fan of Hoola. There are a few pros to this bronzer though: There is no glitter or sparkles in it. I searched high and low for bronzers that were glitter-free, and Hoola was one of the few I found. The color is a really fantastic brown color, not orange at all. But those are about the only pros. Now for the cons: The packaging. I'll admit, I was a sucker for the cute box and little brush inside [at first]. But after having the bronzer for a while I noticed that if you keep it in a makeup bag and it moves around at all, the little brush inside wiggles around a lot and stirrs up the bronzer, so that when you open it up to use it, the brush is covered in bronzer, I mean - the handle and the brush and the whole inside of the box. Second, If your face is AT ALL dry, this stuff just sits right on top and tends to look very ashy and almost like more of a grey-brown, instead of looking like a natural, healthy tan. Third, I wish it had at least a TINY bit of pink, or peach or some kind of healthy color in it, because although it gives an OK bronze look, if I don't put a lot of blush on with it I look kind of pastey and tired.
All in all, it's a good bronzer to buy if you have lots of money just laying around to spend on makeup, and you want something that looks cute sitting on your bathroom counter.

on 6/16/2008 10:10:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I bought this in place of my usual $50 bronzer (Guerlain Blonde), and I wish I had purchased the Guerlain. Don't get me wrong...it's a nice bronzer. No sparkle, no orange, nice brown color. But I prefer a bronzer with a touch of pink because it looks more natural on me. I'll use this product for the summer, but I won't buy it again.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is an HG bronzer for me. Have rebought numerous times and am sure to have at least two of these in my possesion at all times lol.

Awesome matte natural colour.

on 6/5/2008 8:44:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

This is my HG contour color!!! I hate ashy contour powders, so this was my next choice since it's totally matte. It's a bit expensive, but you get as much product with this as well as a foundation compact! and it also comes with a great contouring brush. It's the perfect shade of brown to contour medium-tan skintones but can be adjusted for the tones outside that range. The packaging is a bit strange, but for the product itself. amazing.

HOLY GRAIL of bronzers. There is no shimmer, orange, or pink tones, only natural, actual tan. This has never gone orange or pink on anyone I have tried it on. I have gone through probably 20 of these bronzers and converted many other people along the way. THROW OUT the brush it comes with, use a proper bronzer brush or even a quality blush brush. I have been wearing Hoola for 7 years and have not found a better bronzer.

on 5/26/2008 12:06:00 PM

I really do not rate this product it was just too dark and did not blend at all well, the packaging is very poor for the price, i would never be able to take it out with me as it would end up all over my handbag, the brush is poor quality and overall i think it is overpriced, sorry benefit i usually love you but this is not good!!

on 5/21/2008 12:58:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

i never really thought i would like wearing bronzers. i'm a nc20-25 asian who likes to maintain her fair-ish skin and is into those asian brightening/whitening products. :)

i decided to use this recently, despite owning it for some time now, and wow! i do the big 3 with a skunk brush, and bring it across the hairline. it gives me a warm healthy colour to my skin, like i've been out in the sun for a little while. it brings a little dimension to my face as well. i like how it's matte and has no orange undertone. it doesn't interfere with me like the fair-ish look. i only use a little bit of product and doesn't use it all over the face. the result is that i still look fair but has more dimension and a healthy glow. i hate the packaging though, yes, HATE!

on 5/20/2008 11:45:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I love the color of this bronzer. I love shimmer, but not in a bronzer. This goes on flawless and is easy to use. the best part, you can use a blush with it and not end up looking metallic. 10 out 10!

Top Rated BeneFit Cosmetics Products