Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder

3.6

Mica, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Isopropyl Linoleate, Synthetic Wax, Polymethyl-silsesquioxane, Water, Zinc Stearate, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Silica, Caprylyl Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Barium Sulfate, Dimethylacrylamide/Acrylic Acid/Polystyrene Ethyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Ethoxydiglycol, Sodium Dehydroaceatate, Lycium Barbarum Fruit Extract (Goji Berry), Trisodium Edta, Peat Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Palmitoyl Hexapeptide-14, Dimethicone, Gold. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

on 12/20/2011 10:29:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product for me is a God send. I have turned so many people on to it and they have nothing but high praise for it as well. What I think people dont realize is that it will give you great coverage if used properly--not sparingly.. I use 2 or 3 passes of a loaded brush to get a full coverage look with real staying power. I use it AS a foundation, not over one.. the look after 10 mintues of wear changes so significantly for me and moves from a powdery look to a soft focus finish.. When I use it on clients and they tell me they cannot duplicate the look I ask them to show me thier process, typically theya re not using enough or blending it in and really buffing it the way you would with BE (which I used to like but Halo blows it away)..A great product for any age--I am 51 and use it on clients older than me as well... I wear it every day for a natural look with great coverage. No breakouts or reactions to my sometimes senstitve skin with mild roseacea...I also use the color booster and tan colors in the summer and love the "glow" from them.. This is a product I hope they never discontinue.

on 12/15/2011 1:51:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I have been using this powder for a month now and never has my face looked so photo ready and just perfect. I have it in light and use it over any foundation I have..(which is about 10) i love the way my skin looks so healthy and even.and with its yellow undertone(i am nc20) it blends perfect in my skin.

on 12/9/2011 8:49:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

My skin: Breakout prone, sensitive, combination.

The Product

Color Range: Quite limited and leaning towards warm but for me.. NC 25 I got a great color match :)
Coverage: Buildable and actually very good. It is extremely natural and light coverage with a synthetic skunk brush with my and with a denser kabuki it gives medium to almost full coverage for me while looking very natural.
Packaging: I wish it was less bulky as I often lug my makeup back and forth in my purse but I do love the grater that allows you to grate as much as you need for the application.
Longevity: Now this is what makes it a 3 for me. Even with a primer and the UD all nighter spray it does not last long on my skin. I ended up going through it quite quickly (3 months) with almost daily use because I had to retouch every 2-3 hours! Very impractical with my full student/working schedule.

Loved everything else about it but unfortunately will not be purchasing as I need something with better staying powder.

on 12/6/2011 3:18:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm

i LOVE this stuff. now, it is sheer coverage but if you have decent (not perfect) skin and use a concealer where needed this is wonderful! i would imagine it to be wonderful as finishing powder over a foundation for those with more uneven skin tone. makes me look sooo incredibly natural that i don't think any other makeup has been able to do for me. i apply it to a clean moisturized face, apply concealer on whatever blemish, scar, and under the eyes and then top it off again with another light layer focusing on the concealed areas. its the most i have ever payed for a powder (60$) or an single makeup for that matter, but it is a HUGE container that i imagine will last me at least 6 months so if i do the math it's actually cheaper than the other mineral foundations (I've tried them all) that i normally go through once every two months if i am lucky. it has no sheen and isn't super matte either... it just looks like healthy skin! oh, and it does last so i maybe only touch up once during a busy day. i love the container and the rotating sifter... its mess free and you don't end up wasting a bunch of product
EDIT: gave me breakouts from hell. Took me nearly a month of recovery and extractions was the only way to get rid of the mess.. there was no waiting it out.

on 11/26/2011 12:56:00 PM

This product seems expensive, however, please consider the amount of product that you get with this item: 21g vs 6g with BE...
Keeping this in mind, BE costs 50% MORE!! BE costs $4.33 per gram but the Halo costs $2.81!!!
I really love this product. While it doesn't have full coverage, it certainly has enough for me to use this on a regular basis all on its own. It lasts all day without needing to be touched up, especially with primer.
I have read some reviews where some people are concerned about the ingredient list and think its not as "natural" as BE, IMO that is nuts. I have very sensitive skin (rosacea, eczema, etc) and have had no problems with this but i am allergic to BE.
BE contains bismuth oxychloride, which is what makes it shimmery - Halo does not contain this stuff... just because something seems not natural doesn't mean it is and doesn't mean that its better for you or your skin.

on 10/31/2011 12:44:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have to agree with a lot girls on here that it doesn't do anything for coverage. However, for being a powder, it is really high tech stuff. It blurs lines and doesn't dry me out during winter months, which is something to be said in well below-zero east coast temperatures.

Unless I'm not breaking out (which is hardly ever), I tend to use this as a setting powder on top of my Estee Lauder Double Wear in Sand. I have the Fair shade for the Smashbox. It works out perfectly and acts as kind of a super awesome translucent setting powder.

Yes, it is extremely expensive and I said I wouldn't buy it again, but I kind of cheated the first time around and got it from ebay for like 30 bucks. That's still ridiculously expensive for a container of makeup. But if I could find it for around that price or cheaper, I would most likely buy it again. It really prevents makeup from transferring and has a great glowy finish to it.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This is my HG makeup product PERIOD. The best thing about it? Although it's definitely pricey, I have been using the same one for over a year now, and I use it about every single day. It can be used alone as a mineral foundation or as a finishing powder over foundation. It has great wear on my oily skin. I wouldn't use any other powder over a liquid foundation because it gives a great glow to the skin without looking cakey or dewy, while adding a bit more coverage. I'm young so I'm not worried about the anti-aging properties but I would definitely say this is good for my skin. The packaging is probably why it has lasted me so long; you only dispense what you need, which isn't much. No complaints. Worth every penny.

on 9/27/2011 1:52:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

This was a bit of a pleasant surprise for me. I started using this product maybe a month or so ago. It was 1 of my free samples with a Sephora order. I ordered Light, with the intention to use it to mix & lighten a powder I had that was a bit too dark. lol. However, Halo colors run darker than I thought they would anyway, & this 1 had a bit of a neutral tan look to it. I got another idea instead! I started dusting Light under my eyes 1 day..almost as a concealer, before applying the rest of my makeup. I was hoping it would be easier to use when in a rush, versus me taking time to apply & blend liquid. And, woww!! I could really tell the difference! Not only did it look better than the liquid to me, but over time, it seemed to improve my undereye area overall - less wrinkles & puffiness! I'm an NC50 in MAC, & this powder illuminates PERFECTLY without looking cakey or powdery @ all. No matter how much I dust on, it never looks ashy..or crease! I hate to say it, but once my sample sizes run out, I just may consider buying the full size product. It will likely last forever. I do still say that it's a bit pricey, BUT, who doesn't want bright, youthful looking eyes? There are some noticeable anti-aging properties somewhere in there that really do work..which is probably how they are justifying the price. I'm a mommy who barely gets a full night's sleep, but this product always helps me look fresh & alert daily, anddd when photographed, it does NOT give that awful, obvious chalk-beneath- the-eye look that I see on a lot of women. *think recent Shaunie O' Neal pics* lol.

on 9/24/2011 9:57:00 AM

Yikes! No on so many levels, first of all being the burning sensation when I put it on. What is in this stuff?? It started within a minute of putting it on and just worsened until my whole face was red and itchy. Products can break me out, but I rarely get a reaction like this. The sales rep at Shoppers said it was a common return. Plus, it is over $70 CDN, which is preposterous. Glad I didn't keep it. Big time no!

on 9/17/2011 10:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

For some reason mineral foundations just don't seem to work for me. This one was no exception. I received a sample of this and even if the color had been right for my skin tone, the coverage was not good at all, and it did not blend well into my skin, or blend well with it. I've tried BE mineral powder and that worked much better for my skin than this smashbox powder. No, I won't be buying this.

Top Rated Smashbox Products