November 28, 2014 | 2023 users online

Powders - Smashbox - Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder

rated 5 of 5 on 11/26/2011 12:56:00 PM More reviews by ttombe

This product seems expensive, however, please consider the amount of product that you get with this item: 21g vs 6g with BE...
Keeping this in mind, BE costs 50% MORE!! BE costs $4.33 per gram but the Halo costs $2.81!!!
I really love this product. While it doesn't have full coverage, it certainly has enough for me to use this on a regular basis all on its own. It lasts all day without needing to be touched up, especially with primer.
I have read some reviews where some people are concerned about the ingredient list and think its not as "natural" as BE, IMO that is nuts. I have very sensitive skin (rosacea, eczema, etc) and have had no problems with this but i am allergic to BE.
BE contains bismuth oxychloride, which is what makes it shimmery - Halo does not contain this stuff... just because something seems not natural doesn't mean it is and doesn't mean that its better for you or your skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/31/2011 12:44:00 AM More reviews by auraborialis

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have to agree with a lot girls on here that it doesn't do anything for coverage. However, for being a powder, it is really high tech stuff. It blurs lines and doesn't dry me out during winter months, which is something to be said in well below-zero east coast temperatures.

Unless I'm not breaking out (which is hardly ever), I tend to use this as a setting powder on top of my Estee Lauder Double Wear in Sand. I have the Fair shade for the Smashbox. It works out perfectly and acts as kind of a super awesome translucent setting powder.

Yes, it is extremely expensive and I said I wouldn't buy it again, but I kind of cheated the first time around and got it from ebay for like 30 bucks. That's still ridiculously expensive for a container of makeup. But if I could find it for around that price or cheaper, I would most likely buy it again. It really prevents makeup from transferring and has a great glowy finish to it.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2011 11:24:00 PM More reviews by pictureperfect09

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is my HG makeup product PERIOD. The best thing about it? Although it's definitely pricey, I have been using the same one for over a year now, and I use it about every single day. It can be used alone as a mineral foundation or as a finishing powder over foundation. It has great wear on my oily skin. I wouldn't use any other powder over a liquid foundation because it gives a great glow to the skin without looking cakey or dewy, while adding a bit more coverage. I'm young so I'm not worried about the anti-aging properties but I would definitely say this is good for my skin. The packaging is probably why it has lasted me so long; you only dispense what you need, which isn't much. No complaints. Worth every penny.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/27/2011 1:52:00 PM More reviews by Sinnamon_1

This was a bit of a pleasant surprise for me. I started using this product maybe a month or so ago. It was 1 of my free samples with a Sephora order. I ordered Light, with the intention to use it to mix & lighten a powder I had that was a bit too dark. lol. However, Halo colors run darker than I thought they would anyway, & this 1 had a bit of a neutral tan look to it. I got another idea instead! I started dusting Light under my eyes 1 day..almost as a concealer, before applying the rest of my makeup. I was hoping it would be easier to use when in a rush, versus me taking time to apply & blend liquid. And, woww!! I could really tell the difference! Not only did it look better than the liquid to me, but over time, it seemed to improve my undereye area overall - less wrinkles & puffiness! I'm an NC50 in MAC, & this powder illuminates PERFECTLY without looking cakey or powdery @ all. No matter how much I dust on, it never looks ashy..or crease! I hate to say it, but once my sample sizes run out, I just may consider buying the full size product. It will likely last forever. I do still say that it's a bit pricey, BUT, who doesn't want bright, youthful looking eyes? There are some noticeable anti-aging properties somewhere in there that really do work..which is probably how they are justifying the price. I'm a mommy who barely gets a full night's sleep, but this product always helps me look fresh & alert daily, anddd when photographed, it does NOT give that awful, obvious chalk-beneath- the-eye look that I see on a lot of women. *think recent Shaunie O' Neal pics* lol.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2011 9:57:00 AM More reviews by psmitty

Yikes! No on so many levels, first of all being the burning sensation when I put it on. What is in this stuff?? It started within a minute of putting it on and just worsened until my whole face was red and itchy. Products can break me out, but I rarely get a reaction like this. The sales rep at Shoppers said it was a common return. Plus, it is over $70 CDN, which is preposterous. Glad I didn't keep it. Big time no!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2011 10:29:00 PM More reviews by eyesopen33

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

For some reason mineral foundations just don't seem to work for me. This one was no exception. I received a sample of this and even if the color had been right for my skin tone, the coverage was not good at all, and it did not blend well into my skin, or blend well with it. I've tried BE mineral powder and that worked much better for my skin than this smashbox powder. No, I won't be buying this.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/16/2011 1:18:00 PM More reviews by grandaujapon

This is really meh. I understand that it doesn't give the powdery look...which is great, except it really doesn't seem to do anything at all. For $59, I expect a product to give a little bit of coverage. But this gives nada. I don't see any purpose of this except if you have very dry skin. I, myself am oily, so perhaps thats why I am so underwhelmed. Oh, well.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/4/2011 3:50:00 PM More reviews by paigebsmith

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

With this product a LITTLE goes a long way! I use it on the weekends when I wear minimal make-up and need a little power to absorb oil. When you use this you start on the sides of your face & work in. I stay away from upper cheeks & nose area.

The product that I absolutely LOVE & think is worth investing in if you are 35+ is the Smashbox Photo Set Finishing Power SPF15. It makes your face look evened out and blurrs lines & imprections. Again you have to be careful with application because it's like the Makeup Forever powder that will leave a white residue if you use too much. Remember Nicole Kidman's nose with white power on it? That's what I'm getting at.

If you use these products carefully & minimally, it really can make your face look beautiful. Plus, these products have all kinds of anti aging ingredients which is good for your skin. Can you tell I'm a Smashbox fan? :)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2011 3:29:00 PM More reviews by victoriasinger

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

$60? Really?

This powder is absolutely horrendous. I finally dished out the money for this and it was really bad! It didn't cover ANYTHING. Bad finish.

NEVER AGAIN.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2011 9:31:00 AM More reviews by hwnpunch

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

After sampling this several times at Sephora I finally sucked it up and shelled out the outrageous $59 for this powder. I would have given it a 5 if the cost wasn't so ridiculous. I've used a ton of different products and had been using Studio Gear TM but the formula seems to have changed this past year and I had to move on once they decided to add silicones to the ingredients in lieu of the squalane that worked so well for me. This powder + concealer though is fantastic over a light moisturizer. It does contain dimethicone for those of you like myself that are cone sensitive. However, it's a bit lower down on the list than many other products I've used that have broken me out and I've had no issues so far. Normally if I'm going to react to silicone in a product it's going to be within the first 24 -48 hours so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this one doesn't sneak up on me because I really love it. The coverage and shade are perfect but the colors are limited and run slightly dark. I normally wear a medium and while that shade blended in ok, I was told that Medium oxidizes and darkens as the day goes on and was advised to go with the light/medium shade. That color works perfect, goes on fast and evenly with a kabuki brush (not the one provided), gives the perfect amount of coverage for me over concealer and actually feels good on. I've used a lot of products that claim to give a "healthy glow" that either give a gross shine on my combo skin or a ridiculous glitter effect that no one over 30 should ever be running around in. This powder really does seem to give my skin a healthy glow without the shine or glitter and doesn't look like crap under my eyes over concealer. I don't have much in the way of wrinkles but I swear some mineral powders create them. It also doesn't over dry my skin and cause my t-zone crank up the oil production like some powders I've used. It balances everything out just right. No surprise that the brush they give you is crap but I do keep it in my bag for quick touch ups and it's ok for under your eyes. I do wish this came in a smaller size like the samples on display. That would be easier to carry around for touch ups and a lot easier on the wallet. The compact does take up a lot of space but I do love having the benefit of a pressed powder compact and loose powder all in one package with no mess.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No