November 25, 2014 | 1764 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Superior Preference Hair Colour

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2011 2:50:00 PM More reviews by brizz

I had to give a review for this product due to all the bad reviews I read about it. I had no trouble at all with any drips and the smell wasn't any worse than other hair colors. My color came out exactly like I wanted and it covered the little bit of grays I have. I'm glad I tried this despite the complaints that I read about it. Since I just used it today, I don't know about fading yet. But I will buy this again the next time I color my hair.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/24/2011 10:14:00 PM More reviews by live2teach

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Found a great sale, so thought I'd try this product. My hair is more than 50% gray, so coverage is important, especially since a good 2" of roots were showing on my previously salon-dyed hair. Used the dark brown shade, and the colour was true to the lightest picture on the package. I do like the final colour and texture, and do not find it dull or dried out, as others have mentioned. However, I do have to agree with other reviewers who found this product excessively smelly and messy! I could not believe how messy this stuff was to use. It just seemed to drip everywhere. Yuck. Would not buy this product again, simply because it was so darn messy - I will stick to the thicker cream colour formulas.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2011 1:33:00 PM More reviews by jillmg89

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

I really, really like this product line. I was born with very light blonde hair which has turned into a darker "dirty" blonde as I've gotten older. For about the past 19 years, I have had my hair professionally highlighted with light blonde to lighten the overall appearance of my hair. Well, after being a blonde my entire life, I decided to be a brunette... I had my hairdresser dye my hair a medium brown shade and she added caramel highlights. It looked great! I have now decided to save money and ventured on to "box" color at home- I was VERY nervous at first because I have heard horror stories about do-it-yourself hair dye kits. Well, I purchased 6AM Light Amber Brown and decided to go for it. I followed the directions exactly. I did not mind the smell, as I knew hair dye would not smell good, and, I did not have the trouble with the dripping as other reviewers seemed to have (this is the only at-home hair dye that I have used, so I do not have anything else to compare it to). I did take precaution and wore an old tee shirt and wrapped an old towel over my shoulders. I did notice a couple of small drips on the counter top, which I wiped off immediately and there was not stain left behind. The color turned out almost exactly as it was shown on the box! It had a bit more of a red tint, but with the "Amber" in the name, that is what I was sort of expecting.The color held true for about 5 weeks (I wash my hair daily) and then began to fade to a lighter brown with golden blonde highlights near the crown of my head. It actually looked pretty, but I wanted to be darker again. I waited about 2 more weeks then tried again. This last time I used 5CB Medium Chestnut Brown. Again, the color came out very similiar to that on the box. This turned out a deeper brown with a hint of reddish hue, which I have received many compliments on. I am very pleased with this hair color line and will continue to use. I have long (past my shoulders) hair and have not noticed any damage to my hair at all (love the conditioner that comes with it)! I cannot speak for grey coverage because fortunately, I do not have many grey hairs yet. Overall, two thumbs up!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/23/2011 7:49:00 AM More reviews by troglodyte

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This has been so long on the market one wonders why L'Oreal doesn't bother to update this product to 2011 standards...

First, that horrible stench. I'm not someone who's super sensitive to odors (certainly not the "ohmygod-this-mascara-smells-so-bad-i-got-a-headache" type) but this kit truly REEKS. I can't close my bathroom door using this like I do when using every other brand.

Second, this drips way too much, the dye stays 10 minutes more than I intend to on my head because I keep cleaning up drips and stains every 2 minutes while I'm still putting it on my hair for fear the stains become permanent on floors and sinks. Excellence and Garnier have thicker creamy formulas, why keep this as liquidy as some some cheap 80s dye?

Gave two lippies for the color results that are usually accurate, but I can use other brands that are just as accurate without all the annoyance.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/13/2011 1:06:00 PM More reviews by Donnie130

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I used Medium Blond, I normally use Clairol Med Golden Blond but the store was out so I thought I would try this.
The color was a little flat, I guess I needed the blond. After 2 weeks I can see about 5 inches of gray where the color has washed out. I will go back to the Clairol Color Blend, it is a really good color for the money and time. I will not use this Loreal Preference again.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2011 1:10:00 AM More reviews by missxlkt

i bought the color light ash brown. it was the first time i was gonna dye my whole head & this was what i used. it turned out REALLY great. it turned my black asian hair into a nice cool toned brown. i had a really good experience with this hair dye. it comes with a really nice conditioner. but now that they re-made the tube for the conditioner ! now its in a nice gold packaging & theres way more product. i think this is worth trying.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/13/2011 3:52:00 PM More reviews by supernova375

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

While I have used Superior preference over the years I will stop doing so because:
-As of now all new pakages come plastic gloves, yes, cheap plastic gloves. They do not fit well and it is pretty impossible to " feel'' hair or liquid when coloring. I liked their rubber like gloves much better. That was sneaky and I did not see "New and Degraded " message on package-since that is what marketing likes to do even if insignificant changes/changes are made.
They need to remove ''colorist gloves'' from package description as it is misleading at this point. In and effort to keep executives pockets' stuffed full of bonuses they have cheapened the product and left the cost as high as before.
I called the company and comlplained and urge you to do the same (1-800-631-7358). L'oreal claims it has changed gloves because customers did not like old one. This is a pure lie-if any positive change is made you are going to see ''New and Improved'' on the box.Period. This is definitely a sub quality item (gloves) in an effort to make more profit.
While the color I use #1 is generally pretty true, I find formula runny. But the gloves have tipped the scale. What a sneaky company! Shame on you, L'oreal. What is next? No box? and on half bottle of color?

rated 4 of 5 on 4/12/2011 3:32:00 PM More reviews by TexasGail

Was using a deposit-only color, but my grays have really gotten resistant and a week after coloring, the awful gray roots starting glistening! I've used Excellence in the past and it worked pretty well, but faded quickly. Decided to give Preference a try and got Dark Blonde 7 Natural (my natural "real" color is dark blonde-light brown and I'm tired of doing the medium blonde thing). I read somewhere, too, not to ever use ash colors to cover gray, won't look natural. Color is just exactly what I wanted...we'll see how long it lasts before fading. Smell is awful (I'm hoping that's what will make it fade-resistant lol). Didn't burn scalp, but made eyes water! Incidentally, Clairol Shimmer Lights shampoo is wonderful for toning down any brass that always comes out when dying blonde or brown. Will update after a couple of weeks.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/10/2011 11:23:00 PM More reviews by FootCow

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I used Superior Preference in Natural Light Ash Brown and ended up with Redish Brown Roots and dark brown ends. I kept it on for 30 minutes hoping it would stick better. Where the roots were seems to have faded and turned an orangey colour after a week but the ends remained dark (as almost all of the hair was at the beginning). I am not too happy and will be looking for another hair dye.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2011 1:14:00 PM More reviews by roarwoman

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

The hubby and I are trying to save some cash to pay down our credit card bill. Unfortunately this includes putting a hold on salon color every 4-5 weeks at $100 a pop. The stylist I go to uses Redken, she used the newer version on me that is supposed to cover grey and keep it covered for 4 weeks. The color was dark brown with red undertones. I'll admit that after the color was processed, hair was styled etc.. I thought the color was a bit flat and dull. Four weeks later, it did cover the grey for longer then usual but the color faded fast and looked duller and duller every time I washed. BTW, I'm about 30-40% grey, the sides of my hair are the worst.

Enter the new budget plan and my not being so thrilled with the color and MUA. After reading the reviews on this brand and having tried other brands on and off in the past I decided to give it a shot. I knew I wanted to stay very close to the current color, medium brown with red undertones, maybe take it a shade darker. I purchased Deep Soft Mahogany Brown, part of the Chocolate Decadence collection. The product was easy to mix up, I used a plastic bowl and brush to apply, I cannot abide with the cheap spout applicator they give you. The formula was pretty runny which made the job a little harder but not impossible. There is a good amount of product given and I, having short hair, barely used half of it. I settled in for 50 min then rinsed. The conditioner they provide is fantastic and smells nice. After drying and styling I was very impressed with the results, although I did think the color was a little flat. Very true to the color on the box and the bottom line is it looks great with my skin tone and eye color. It provided me with the shade darker that I wanted whilst still blending really well with the color that I was carrying from the salon job a month ago.

I would repurchase this brand again although it's only been a few days so I cannot state how well it keeps grey hair covered or for how long. The only down side, as people have mentioned, is the smell when first applying and I personally would have liked more shine. Would recommend and will try some of the other brown shades in the future.