April 16, 2014 | 940 users online

Treatments - Aphogee - Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

rated 4 of 5 on 9/9/2011 2:05:00 PM More reviews by ensayles

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I wanted to wait before commenting on this product, as the first time I used it I only bought the 2 envelopes for around $4. The product wasn't enough to saturate my hair, although I still felt I had improved softness and strength...but I wanted to be sure it was worth the 45 minutes + investment, besides the money, before I reviewed it. I liked it enough to invest in the bottles (around a $30 investment) and re-applied after the 6 weeks recommended. I put the stinky stuff in a spray bottle to make application easier, which worked wonderfully, and saturated my towel-dried hair...then blow dried it for the 45 minutes while I was eating breakfast (I'm a muli-tasker.) Then I colored/glossed my hair before using the intensive conditioner of step 2. I was surprised later that day when my husband mentioned how soft my hair felt! My hair seems to behave better and I have noticed fewer split ends (I trimmed my hair just before using it the first time, but I usually have split ends again by now...so I don't think this treatment mended by split ends but certainly has kept me from getting so many as quickly.) Just this morning I noticed another benefit from this product...my dark brown hair color is actually growing out and I can see my golden brown roots! I know that doesn't sound like a good thing, but my hair color doesn't grow out...it washes out...but not this time. This stuff may not be a miracle for hair, but it's more than worth the time and money invesment! I actually look forward to using it, even though it's a hassle. I also use the intensive conditioner every couple of weeks just for a boost.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/9/2011 1:43:00 AM More reviews by LaceyPorter

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

My hair is thick, dry, fuzzy and frizzy but this product just made it feel like straw and I can't see any noticeable difference. I did use the second step conditioner as well. I did this treatment the next shampoo after my highlights (non-bleach high color lift) to fill the hair shaft maybe I did it too soon I don't know but I wasn't that impressed.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2011 9:10:00 PM More reviews by EternityintheRain

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Another staple I have used since I first relaxed my hair. I use this every three months to strengthen and soften my hair. It has always given me great, shiny hair. To reap the benefits of it I wash my hair with a clarifying shampoo and then apply this all lover my hair, roots, soak my hair with it. Then get underneath the dryer and wait 30-40 minutes until it hardens. Then I follow it up with ORS Replenishing Conditioner and leave that on for about 5 minutes. Detangle with the conditioner in my hair. And then follow with my silk elements leave in. Rollers galore. Almost two hours underneath the dryer. And voila! A week of gorgeous, silky and thick hair with mirror shine to boot. This product works for a great deal of hair types, wether it be curly, wavy, kinky, or straight. I've seen the results with my patchwork family. Great hair everywhere. I like to buy the big one because I've found it is cheaper per use than the smaller, Emergencee sized bottle. And it costs a lot less than the Nexxus treatment. I think the best place to get it is at Sally's. it costs about 20, but with the 15% or 20% coupons you can get it between $16 and $17 bucks. And the sometimes have the $2 off coupons too. That's when i stock up.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2011 1:53:00 PM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am one of the rare few that just did not see any results from using this product. After using it twice, I just don't get the rave reviews about this. I was initially horrified to try it because of all the rants about the smell. Honestly, it does not smell that bad. Rotting garbage smells worse too me than this. I found the two-step process time-consuming but easy to use. I have fine, dry hair that is becoming brittle and I am having a lot of shedding. This product did nothing for me. But, as it is not too pricey, I would suggest trying it as this product seems to help the majority of people reviewing this.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/2/2011 3:42:00 AM More reviews by kissjacksparrow

I am writing this review 3 days after doing the treatment for the first time. Usually I would use a product a few times before reviewing, but I am so impressed, I want to share my thoughts now, and will update as I continue to use it over time.

My hair: Very curly, 3b, smooth, fine but lots of it (but recently shed extremely so temporarily thin) it is not course, it's soft/smooth Caucasian hair, color treated, very dry and prone to breakage

I bought this 3 months ago because it was recommended both on MUA and other hair forums. My hair was becoming very hard to manage. It is already very prone to dryness and breakage, but I went through a bit of a "hair identity crisis" and kept color treating my hair, leaving it even more fragile. On top of that already horrible situation, I moved to a new place with very hard well water. Unfortunately, I didn't get around to it at the time - life was busy and I'll be honest I was scared because of the though of smelling of cat pee while people were home and it taking all day. My hair continued to decline. It was no falling out to the point where I could visibly see the thinning at my roots. My hair was untouchable. I couldn't even run my fingers through it, let alone brush/comb it without tons of shedding and hearing is snap and break. My curls were limp, and it was no longer curling in the tight corkscrews it normally does. I was feeling hopeless about it.

I finally set aside a day and did this treatment. I made sure I read many reviews and the instructions carefully. First, I trimed about an inch to get rid of the majority of the split ends. Then, I detangled my hair with conditioner then I shampooed with a clarifying shampoo to prep for the treatment and was careful not to tangle it up with the fear of breakage while drying.

I poured the treatment in a bowel and applied it with a hair coloring paint brush (like i saw on a video working in very small sections. At first I worked very fast because I was afraid of it drying before I finished, but that wasnt an issue. (although, my hair usually takes FOREVER to dry). I didnt know what to do with my hair since it is long - normally I pile it on top of my head, but I was afraid of the 'manipulation' and so I cliped it with a clip like a low pony tail - this ended up being a mistake because it stuck to my shirt and back, making it hard to take off when I was ready to rinse.

I sat with a blow dryer on my head, taking occasional breaks. I decided to use a diffuser since it would be less likely to move the hair. It worked very well. It dried faster then I expected... maybe an hour? Probably less, but I just wanted to be sure I left it on long enough.

For rinsing, I did as another reviewer suggested, and filled the tub and slowly leaned back into the water. I was very gentle touch it while in the water.. it takes about a minuet to soften up before you can begin to work with your fingers. I followed up with the balancing moisturizer. I left it in for a few minuets, but I felt like it could have been more moisturizing.

I then colored my hair and deep conditioned again.

WOW.

this stuff was like a breath of life for my hair. My hair felt soft, yet strong. I can actually touch my hair now without problems. If feels so fluffy and my curls came back in a major way. Even my SO told me my hair had been super curly ever since. Its like all knew hair. I have already noticed when I comb or shampoo my hair that the shedding is significantly less then - I would say about 1/2 the shedding compared to what it was 2 weeks before. I feel like my hair feels a little thicker, and I am confident know that it will grow back in thick again. My hair is also retaining moisture more then it was, and it's pretty much like a whole new set of hair. I so regret not doing it sooner - I bet this should have kept my hair from thinning in the first place.

the package says to do it every 6 weeks, but I would try and push is longer. I plan on doing smaller protein treatments (like k-pack) every 2 weeks for maintaince, and only doing this when I start to feel my hair needs it. I am really afraid of over doing it.

Price: about $20 for 16oz which will last at least 1 year! I bought mine on sale, so even better. It's worth way more then that, since my hair hair looked like I just got back from a salon, and I payed way less then $100. It was the best $20 I have ever spent on my hair! It surpassed my expectations. I am very happy with this! I now want to try other aphogee products. Amazing quality!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2011 6:41:00 PM More reviews by NatanYah

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

I really felt a lot better about my hair after using this product. My hair has been shedding a lot for the last couple of months and I finally decided to do something about it. Rather than pay the salon darn near $100 for a protein treatment I shelled out the small amount of cash for a bottle of this along with the balancing moisturizer. My hair feels stronger, but it's still shedding a little bit. I went for a trim but I think I'll have a little more cut off the next time. I highly recommend this product. Please be sure to follow the directions!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2011 10:52:00 PM More reviews by itsKelCeeEee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Cool Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

AWESOME product, but I don't use the second step moisturizer; instead I use a different deep conditioner that has a lot more moisture because I feel like the second step aphogee one isn't the best. Also, this hasn't happened to me, but be careful of protein overload. You NEED a good moisturizing treatment after this; it's not an option. Otherwise, your hair could break off and lose its elasticity.

If you're not willing to shell out the cash for the bottle before you try it then get the packets.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2011 5:16:00 PM More reviews by taralynn36

Literally, where have you been all my life?? I bought this after my stylist recommended me to get a protein treatment. I looked at all the different ones at Sally's and then came home to MUA. I picked this up after reading the stellar reviews. I have to say this product meets all my expectations and then some.

I have very fine shoulder length medium blonde hair that I lighten about 1 or 2 levels. Every time I start to grow my hair out to my shoulders it starts falling out like crazy. So even when my hair was bra strap length it never really looked good because it was too thin and fine. It is amazing how well this product works after 1 treatment. My hair hardly falls out at all, either in the shower or when I comb it. It's so much stronger. I'll admit I was a little skeptical but this stuff really works. I wish I had know about it years ago. I like to use it about once a month although I did use it twice last month, once before I colored and once after. I usually blow dry for about 10 minutes but I'm hoping that once it heats up here in Vegas I can just let it bake outside instead of using the dryer.

And yes, it is a little stinky (the rep at Sally's even warned me) but it's not as bad as I expected and it wears off quickly. continued >>

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/8/2011 3:18:00 AM More reviews by laurentate

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Ohmygod where has this stuff been?! I'd never heard of it until MUAs hair board. I immediately ran into my closest Sally's and bought two sample packs - my hair is really long and I was worried I wouldn't have enough. I reread all the really helpful reviews right before and prepared for the worst smell of my life. Honestly, I wasn't that grossed out. Dont get mr wrong, it's rancid. But it didn't bother me that badly. Anyways, I'm glad I bought two. I mixed them up and put them in a bowl. I added some water because I was still concerned. So I saturated my hair and ended up putting it up on my head. WRONG MOVE. Halfway through drying it fell. I was petrified and almost started crying thinking I had broken off my hair at chin length. Nevertheless, it was fine thank god. It took a good hour and half to dry with my blowdryer. I thought my arm was gonna fall off. I left it on another 30 minutes after my arm lost feeling and went and hung outside, had a cigarette (I know, I know). I went inside and hopped in the shower. I just chilled under the water for about three minutes. Seriously. I was still freaking out about it falling. I rinsed for a good 4-5 minutes and applied all the conditioner and mixed in some of my Ion extreme moisture creme (adore it) because I felt the conditioner in the packs weren't moisturizing enough. After another 5 minutes, I rinsed and hopped out. After all that, there was no way I was touching my dryer or flatiron. It wasn't incredibly softer, shinier, or anything, but I've noticed it's stronger, healthier looking and I'm shedding a lot less (not so much broken pieces, I'm still losing whole hairs though).

I've bought the big bottle from Sally's since and since they had a special, I went ahead and bought the conditioner. It'll help my ion last longer. It says to use every 6 weeks, and im counting down till I can use it again. It's gotten better every time. Yes, it's expensive ($30 roughly for both with coupons and specials and my beauty card) but it'll last forever. Yes, it's a PITA to do, but it works. It does everything it promises.
I've learned that with long hair it's best if you just half it and do each side just hanging flat. It's pretty gross when it gets all over you (so sticky) and your bathroom, but it's a small compromise. Just make it a beauty day.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2011 8:45:00 PM More reviews by Kgilks

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been bleaching my hair for 11 years now. I've been trying to grow out my hair for my wedding, but it kept breaking and would not grow! Finally I came across this product and was amazed at how soft my hair was after. I could actually run my fingers through my hair! I just followed the directions on the bottle and used a blow dryer for about 30 minutes.
I highly recommend this product!
I cannot wait to grow my hair even longer for the wedding!