July 28, 2014 | 1862 users online

Hair Treatments - Aphogee - Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2011 11:36:00 PM More reviews by strangechild

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

The first thing to consider before purchasing this is whether or not your hair really needs it. Healthy hair has a balance of protein and moisture, and overdoing it with either one will not produce desirable results. If your hair is dry and brittle to begin with, start with moisture, then add protein if needed. If your hair is stringy and mushy and looks like a pile of wet noodles, start with protein, then add moisture if needed. The sooner you are able to recognize your individual hair needs, the sooner you will have strong healthy hair.

That being said, I have fine textured, medium density Caucasian hair and I love Aphogee products in general. The protein treatment is a very good one, and it is quite aggressive, so again.. make sure this is what you really need, because the product delivers. Yes, it does stink to high heaven, but I find that the Balancing Moisturizer has a very pleasant scent and using it after the treatment usually blocks out the nastiness.

I would recommend using this no more than once every 4-6 weeks, and then on a case by case basis. Redken Extreme CAT is a very good protein-based treatment, but it is far less intense than this one. If you feel like you need a little somethin' somethin' but aren't sure you need a bang pow protein kick, try that.

The Aphogee protein treatment itself is very runny, so I purchased a trigger spray bottle and emptied the contents into it so that I can mist it on rather than trying to pour it. Be sure to shake it up before using, as all the good stuff tends to settle to the bottom after a while.

Follow the directions on the bottle, make sure you NEED this product, and you will be gold!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/16/2011 10:15:00 AM More reviews by catjacarol

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I had completely forgotten about this product until I was reviewing MUA for information on another item. I have used this in the past after having a disastrous relaxer applied by a "professional" who then suggested some HIGHLIGHTS!!!!

Needless to say...my hair broke off in clumps. I was so very upset and angry that I didn't even bother going back. I went to Sally's looking for some kind of moisturizer and the lady there suggested I try this in a little package. My hair at the time was just below my shoulders and incredibly thick so I bought two (glad I did). While it did not stop me from having to cut my hair to get rid of the damaged areas...I was able to do it over time instead of having to get a crew cut. I now use the 2 minute reconstructor the week before my relaxer and on the day of my relaxer with very good results. Aphogee restorative treatments saved my hair!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/28/2011 10:18:00 AM More reviews by camicat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

Aphogee should be in every chemically enhanced girl's hair arsenal. I have tightly curled, texturized hair and this . The smell is rank; I can't quite pinpoint what it reminds me of but I will say it is vaguely fishy and is reminiscent of foul B.O. Luckily the smell doesn't linger especially since you have to follow it up with another conditioner (for moisture). Nevertheless it has become a staple of mine because it REALLY strengthens my hair.

I generally leave it on for 30 minutes and either go under a hooded dryer or blow dry with a hand dryer until it is rock hard. Then I rinse and follow up with a good moisturizing conditioner (my hair does NOT like the recommended follow-up Aphogee Balancing Moisturizer). Afterward you style as usual; I can attest to the fact that my hair is 100% stronger since I started using Aphogee a year ago (and I've only done about 4 treatments in that time span). Give it a try especially if your hair is relaxed, texturized, permed or color enhanced.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 10/8/2011 10:30:00 PM More reviews by Limelightlover

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

So, I just used this treatment for the first time and I am sooo disappointed. I followed the directions perfectly, withstood the smell and just washed the moistuizer off, to find my hair WORSE than when I had started. I have been bleaching blonde for a year now and my hair is dry, dry, dry. I have been controlling it though with my redkin all soft mask and real control leave in. So I read reviews that were raving about this product and figured I would be sooo happy with healthy hair and that product would give me it! No such luck. After just now rinsing the moisturizing treatment, I am SHEDDING SO BAD. THERE IS HAIR ON MY KEYBOARD AS I TYPE.

BIGGEST WASTE OF 3$, I am SO GLAD I did'nt buy the bottles.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2011 6:12:00 PM More reviews by rosie8

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a wonderful treatment that gives your hair enough protein for 6 weeks. You must use the balancing conditioner after the 2 step because it will make your hair hard. Follow the instructions and you will have healthy hair with little breakage. Also don't use other protein based conditioners while using this product or you will have protein overload (hard hair).

rated 2 of 5 on 9/24/2011 10:00:00 AM More reviews by lizindallas

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

After reading stellars reviews of this product, I decided I had to try it. I have heavily highlighted blonde hair - it wasn't breaking but it gets pretty dry and usually protein really does a nice job. Well, I followed the directions correctly and really? the main difference I found is that now a couple weeks later my hair is really dry. And no, I'm not using any other products with protein and I am using a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. I wanted to love it.... but I didn't...

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/9/2011 2:05:00 PM More reviews by ensayles

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I wanted to wait before commenting on this product, as the first time I used it I only bought the 2 envelopes for around $4. The product wasn't enough to saturate my hair, although I still felt I had improved softness and strength...but I wanted to be sure it was worth the 45 minutes + investment, besides the money, before I reviewed it. I liked it enough to invest in the bottles (around a $30 investment) and re-applied after the 6 weeks recommended. I put the stinky stuff in a spray bottle to make application easier, which worked wonderfully, and saturated my towel-dried hair...then blow dried it for the 45 minutes while I was eating breakfast (I'm a muli-tasker.) Then I colored/glossed my hair before using the intensive conditioner of step 2. I was surprised later that day when my husband mentioned how soft my hair felt! My hair seems to behave better and I have noticed fewer split ends (I trimmed my hair just before using it the first time, but I usually have split ends again by now...so I don't think this treatment mended by split ends but certainly has kept me from getting so many as quickly.) Just this morning I noticed another benefit from this product...my dark brown hair color is actually growing out and I can see my golden brown roots! I know that doesn't sound like a good thing, but my hair color doesn't grow out...it washes out...but not this time. This stuff may not be a miracle for hair, but it's more than worth the time and money invesment! I actually look forward to using it, even though it's a hassle. I also use the intensive conditioner every couple of weeks just for a boost.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/9/2011 1:43:00 AM More reviews by LaceyPorter

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

My hair is thick, dry, fuzzy and frizzy but this product just made it feel like straw and I can't see any noticeable difference. I did use the second step conditioner as well. I did this treatment the next shampoo after my highlights (non-bleach high color lift) to fill the hair shaft maybe I did it too soon I don't know but I wasn't that impressed.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2011 9:10:00 PM More reviews by EternityintheRain

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Another staple I have used since I first relaxed my hair. I use this every three months to strengthen and soften my hair. It has always given me great, shiny hair. To reap the benefits of it I wash my hair with a clarifying shampoo and then apply this all lover my hair, roots, soak my hair with it. Then get underneath the dryer and wait 30-40 minutes until it hardens. Then I follow it up with ORS Replenishing Conditioner and leave that on for about 5 minutes. Detangle with the conditioner in my hair. And then follow with my silk elements leave in. Rollers galore. Almost two hours underneath the dryer. And voila! A week of gorgeous, silky and thick hair with mirror shine to boot. This product works for a great deal of hair types, wether it be curly, wavy, kinky, or straight. I've seen the results with my patchwork family. Great hair everywhere. I like to buy the big one because I've found it is cheaper per use than the smaller, Emergencee sized bottle. And it costs a lot less than the Nexxus treatment. I think the best place to get it is at Sally's. it costs about 20, but with the 15% or 20% coupons you can get it between $16 and $17 bucks. And the sometimes have the $2 off coupons too. That's when i stock up.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2011 1:53:00 PM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am one of the rare few that just did not see any results from using this product. After using it twice, I just don't get the rave reviews about this. I was initially horrified to try it because of all the rants about the smell. Honestly, it does not smell that bad. Rotting garbage smells worse too me than this. I found the two-step process time-consuming but easy to use. I have fine, dry hair that is becoming brittle and I am having a lot of shedding. This product did nothing for me. But, as it is not too pricey, I would suggest trying it as this product seems to help the majority of people reviewing this.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No