Revlon 3D Extreme Mascara - Blackest Black

2.4

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I was EXTREMELY surprised to see the low rating on this mascara! I have tried almost every drugstore mascara out there and this is the one I keep coming back to. It is the ONLY mascara that creates an honestly natural fan of lashes, while thickening, lengthening, and curling at the same time. It makes me look wide-eyed. It gives a false lash effect, but at the same time not, because it's so natural-looking! It just makes me look like I was born with amazing lashes; when I look at myself it's not one of the mascaras where you can immediately tell the person is wearing it. It is my "HG" mascara I guess you could say

Another great thing about this mascara: You can control the lash look. You can apply a little for a natural look, or keep building to a dramatic look, all the way to a false-lash look. I concentrate at the base of my lashes for volume, or comb at the tips to create length. The only con about this is that it definitely takes time to build up the lashes. But it's worth it. The small wand reaches all lashes, as well.

If anyone is having trouble with it, here are my tips/how I use it!:
- Don't wipe off the brush. I never do, even though it looks all clumpy on the brush.
- Wiggle it at the base of your lashes to create volume.
- Comb through to the tips of your lashes to volumize the middle and top of your lashes
- Comb just the tips of your lashes to create length (do this lightly so as not to clump)
- You can do a hard stroke through your entire lash to get everything covered at once, but if you do the previous 3 steps as described, you will get the best results.
- Go to the inner corners to get them covered.
- Repeat or do what as desired to build the look you're going for. :)
- Applying more pressure will obviously create a more dramatic look, so comb lightly if you find yourself clumping. I usually comb with more pressure.

Note: The formula gets better after it is opened to me, as it seems to dry out. The formula is overall pretty dry anyway though - good so it doesn't clump your lashes together. Sometimes I get tiny little clumps of mascara on my lashes; I just wait for it to dry and pick it out.

I'm still baffled as to the bad reviews on this. I get zero clumping and like I said an amazing FAN of lashes (no clumps or separation) and all the mascara wants: curl (not overly dramatic though), length, and volume!

on 12/15/2009 2:35:00 PM

I was suckered in by all the ads of Jessica Alba (whom I think is gorgeous) and her amazing lashes, so I had to buy this product. After one use, I came to the conclusion it's total garbage. I NEVER have problems with mascara clumping, and this clumped and smudged and flaked and just generally made a mess of my eyelashes. I was pretty bummed out because I thought it would be great. I held onto it for a while because I don't like throwing products out, but after several more eyelash fiascoes I gave in and threw it out.

on 12/15/2009 10:50:00 AM

OK..I got this 'cause the packaging looked cool. It's really really hard to apply.
So friggin' thick that makes my lashes look like gunky, spider legs. But sometimes with a right application, my lashes can look pretty good. Will not repurchase.

Overall I think this product gave good volume, length, and curl. However, it was an absolute nightmare mess to get on. I had smudges and clumps everywhere. By the time I was done my eyelashes were the clumpiest I've ever seen them. The formula also irritated my eyes a bit.

on 11/27/2009 12:09:00 AM

all i can say is, "ew". i cringe thinking about using this mascara. it was lumpy and clumpy. it basically glued all of my lashes together in a gooey mess.

I WILL NEVER BUY THIS AGAIN.

on 11/15/2009 4:35:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

STRAIGHT GARBAGE!!!

on 11/12/2009 6:59:00 PM

This mascara was awful. I never did figure out how to use that brush. It never went on smoothly, always clumping causing spider lashes. Mascara shouldn't be complicated. I threw it away.

on 11/11/2009 7:03:00 AM

I should have known not to stray to another mascara. The brush on this is tiny and has bristles only on two sides. It's very hard to apply since I try to apply with the bristle part only. It clumps like crazy!! The only plus I can give is that is definitely gives volume and doesn't run during the day. The downsides outweight the good though, will not be purchasing again.

on 11/7/2009 8:16:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I bought this mascara because I thought the picture of the brush on the package looked nice and full. Upon opening the mascara I was disappointed to see that the brush was TINY. Didn't even look like the same brush. It works great on the lower lashes but I won't repurchase because I like a bigger brush.

UPDATE: While I still think the brush is too small, I have found that this is the only non waterproof mascara I've tried that will hold the curl in my lashes. I'm starting to like it.......

on 11/1/2009 7:06:00 AM

I was really surprised to see the low rating on this mascara! I LOVE it! It does everything it claims to do: lengthens, curls, volumizes... everything! You will definitely need a good lash comb (I suggest the Sonia Kashuk travel comb from Target) and a little patience, but the end result is fantastic! The formula is very thick but that's what makes it go on well; I can NOT stand watery mascara that gets all over my eyes during application! I also hate all of these new silicone brushes most mascaras are using now so I was very pleased that it uses a real, bristled brush. The brush is small, yes, but it allows for good control and a generally mess-free application. I've repurchased several times now and have no intentions of changing mascara unless they stop making it.

Popular Mascaras