August 27, 2014 | 2055 users online

Hair Treatments - Extra Strength Hair Color Remover - Color Oops

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2012 7:53:00 PM More reviews by Ramie

Great product, does exactly what it's supposed to do.

Some background if you're interested:

I have naturally brown to dark brown hair and have been dying it about a shade lighter for almost five years now. About a month and a half ago I used Clairol's Nice and Easy permanent hair dye in "Natural Darkest Brown." Long story short, I had jet black hair. Initially, I didn't mind the color. Sure it was a little dark and I looked like "Criss Angel" one of my friends said, but hey, I rocked it. But let me tell you guys, black gets old fast.

About 1.5 inches of my natural hair color was grown in after a month and a half and I thought that I'd dye my hair again to the regular honey brown I've always had. BIG MISTAKE. My roots dyed beautifully..... But the rest of my hair was still jet black. In a panic, I researched and researched how to fix this problem and found several different 'color strippers.' (I didn't want to use bleach) Color Oops seemed to have the best average rating so I went for that one.

Applying the product was pretty simple. If you dye your hair at home by yourself, you'll have absolutely no problem with this step. One thing I'll mention is saturation of EVERY strand is VERY important - otherwise you'll end up with blotchy hair.

The smell... really wasn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Light a scented candle, open the window and turn on the bathroom fan and you're good to go.

The results were almost immediate! I could practically see my hair lightening from black to dark brown to brown to... orange-y brown. I expected this outcome since I had done my research thoroughly; from black, your hair MAY turn into a color with an orange tint. In my case, I actually liked the color so I kept it, but you can dye your hair right away (choose a dye that's 3 shades lighter than you want) as the product isn't very damaging. BE SURE to actually RINSE as long as specified. That step really helped to lighten my hair all the way.

All in all, this is definitely a product I would use again if I have another hair dye catastrophe. Second time around, I'd probably be more careful in applying the watery formula in my hair, as I did get some 'blotchiness.'

rated 3 of 5 on 4/3/2012 9:32:00 PM More reviews by brwneyedxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I would use this in the case of emergencies only. Here was my case: I have naturally dark brown hair. I had dark blonde highlights that I dyed over with semi-permanent medium brown hair dye, but it came out darker than I wanted. I hoped to go back to my highlights. I followed the directions pretty exactly (processed for twenty minutes, shampooed and rinsed for twenty minutes, then one more shampoo and rinse). My results: my hair is a slightly lighter brown where I had highlights, and much redder and brassier in those spots as well. Not really what I was going for. I'm hesitant to correct the brassiness with a light ash dye because I don't want to end up where I was before using this.

For all of that time spent in the shower, I could've probably just done the 28 shampoos my darker dye was supposed to last for. Or, I could've just been more patient and waited for it to fade! I don't think I would purchase this again unless I was desperate. Another thing - when people comment on the smell, they're definitely not joking! It's nasty.

Overall, I'm giving this three lipsticks just because it did lighten my hair a little bit, and importantly, it didn't seem to cause too much damage.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2012 1:54:00 PM More reviews by MaggieBee92

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

My hair is naturally chocolate brown, very thick and very wavy. I dyed it black about five months ago and was tired of it, so I tried dying it red with nice n easy auburn. It dyed JUST the four inches of my natural roots and didn't touch the rest of it. So I did some research and tried dying it auburn again with Garnier Nutrisse. Again, it just colored the roots of my hair bright red and left the rest black. I was at a loss and did more research and found stuff on Color Oops but I was hesitant to try it because it seemed like it would just work on blonde or lighter colored hair. I tried it and followed all the rinsing instructions EXACTLY, using a timer, and it WORKED! ALL of my hair came out one solid color: my natural color, chocolate brown. Not a single trace of red or black left. After blow drying it, I dyed it again with a nice n easy natural auburn, and it came out perfect. My hair is all red! I was shocked that it worked so well, but I will definitely be using it again if I ever decide to go darker again. I highly recommend!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/19/2012 1:16:00 PM More reviews by ouisch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I haven't written a review on here in a very long time, but I had to talk about Color Oops. I have dyed my hair every colour of the rainbow since my early teens. I'm in my mid 30s now. My hair is extremely fine, quite thin, curly, and down to my bra-strap in length. I had been salon-coloring for the past year, trying to go closer to my natural colour (medium ash brown streaked with grey) so my roots are less visible. I ended up with some banding in the process.
I had a very unreliable hairdresser, so I used box colours for my last two root-jobs, both of which ended up being slightly lighter than my natural hair colour. Then I had an inch of virgin roots. So virgin roots, plus an two inches of two different colours, then banding from salon lightening... I think you're starting to pick up what I'm laying down.
I decided I wanted to go a deep, rich red, thinking it would even everything out. I bought a dark auburn box colour from L'Oreal. I never thought my hair would grab like it did, I ended up with 3 inches of auburn roots and the rest of my salon-colored hair went an inky black. After spending a great deal of time and money lightening my hair closer to my natural colour, you can imagine my thrill of having black hair with red roots.
Enter Color Oops. I did it late last night and I must say it does exactly what it says it will do. My hair is nearly back to what it looked like before the last box colour I did. It is back to a medium-dark brown with lighter roots.
You must follow the instructions exactly. And it does smell, but not a "OMG I'm dying gagging, drama *retch*" kind of way that people are reporting here. It has a sulfur-like smell... but I've had box colours that smelled worse.
Rinsing for twenty minutes... well, it takes an unbelievably long time. Even with a timer I was still checking in disbelief at how much time there was left. I rinsed for five, shampooed, rinsed for five, shampooed, etc. After the 20 minutes was up, I put in a nice conditioner, rinsed, towel-dried and put in leave-in, and went to bed.
My hair looks less banded than before the last colour job I did. It's far more even than I anticipated. It does not smell. It is pretty soft and still is shiny.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/15/2012 11:43:00 AM More reviews by TEEZEU

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I READ ALL THE REVIEWS ON HERE BEFORE USING THIS PRODUCT. I HAVE TO ADMIT I USED IT BEFORE AND SKIPPED THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP OF RINSING FOR 20 MIN BECAUSE THE DIRECTIONS DONT EXPLAIN WHY THIS IS SO IMPORTANT. I HAD BEEN COLORING MY HAIR JET BLACK FOR 5 YRS. I AM LUCKY I HAVE A SHORT SPIKY STYLE. THE BLACK ALL CAME OUT! MANY REVIEWS SAY TO LEAVE YOUR NEW COLOR ON ONLY 5 MINUTES. CONDITION YOUR HAIR IF RE-COLORING THE SAME DAY. MY HAIR WAS HEALTHY SO I DIDNT BUY THE PROTEIN FILLER MANY RECOMMEND. I WENT TO A BURGANDY RED COLOR. THE NEW COLOR DOES GRAB ALOT DARKER THEN YOU THINK IT WILL BUT WHEN TRYING REDS, ONLY 5 MINUTES IS NOT ENOUGH TO LET THE RED TONES DEVELOP. COLOR WAS LEFT LOOKING ASH BROWN. I TRIED COLORSILK LUMINISTA FOR NATURALLY DARK HAIR. THIS WORKED. I THINK BECAUSE IT HAS A HIGH LEVEL OF LIFT IN THE DEVELOPER WHICH KEPT THE COLOR FROM GRABBING 2 DARK. AFTER 10 MIN OF LEAVING IT ON, I REALLY LIKE THE RESULTS.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/14/2012 4:01:00 PM More reviews by stephanielynne

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I was very sketchy about this product after reading all the reviews. But, I decided that I might as well try.

At first I had dyed my hair a bright fire engine red and I LOVED it, unfortunately red is really hard to keep up with, so I went to a brown which faded into a disgusting color I couldn't stand. SO, I decided to go back to my blonde.

I honestly think the only downfall of this product is the smell of it. It turned my hair into a strawberry blonde, which I was able to bleach over and now my hair is a color that I can live with. It's cheap, it's easy, it WILL work if you follow the instructions and my hair had the same texture and feel as it did before I put the Color Oops in, did no damage at all. Just make sure you have a good conditioner. Although my bathroom and bedroom smell like a dump, I'm very happy with the results of Color Oops!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2012 12:56:00 AM More reviews by smittie

Dyed my medium, golden blonde hair bright red. Didn't mean for it to be bright red, but there you go. Color Oops got it all out. I have baby fine hair, and no breakage after using it. Stuff smells nasty, and 25 minutes hanging over the tub with sprayer made me a little dizzy (def. get in the shower), but it really works.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2012 11:32:00 AM More reviews by mamasmurf

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have naturally blond hair and wanted a little change. My intentions were to put black underneath with the blond on top. When I rinsed the black dye out of my hair, the blond had turned gray! I was horrified to say the least. My hair is already damaged from bleaching from a dark color back to blond so I was leary about what to do. I found color oops and decided to give it a shot. I am happy to say that it lifted the gray/black right out of my hair! Even before I was done applying it I saw that blond coming back through! I will definately use this again if I make another mistake with hair color. Very happy with the results!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2012 9:31:00 PM More reviews by natsmith5

I am impressed! My natural hair color is a light ashy blonde, however I have been dying my hair since the 8th grade... I ruined my naturally beautiful blonde hair when i decided to dye it brown.. bad call. The dye barely stuck to my hair and within a few weeks it was totally faded and had a green tint. Since then, i got my hair back to a platinum blonde color through professional highlighting and home dying. 3 days ago i decided I wanted a more natural dirty blonde color... when i washed it out my hair was dark dark brown. horrified, i washed it about 6 more times in attempt to wash the dark color away. No success there... a few days passed and i started to notice the green color coming back.. my worst fear... I started to panic and drove to CVS where i found color oops for $6.00.. good deal. I left it in for 20 minutes and rinsed it for about 10, i came out of the shower with intentions of re-dying my hair a light ash blonde but after blow dying it i LOVED the color. it turned out light blonde with a few natural looking dirty blonde highlights... a lot like my natural color! highly recommend this product for people with have dyed their blonde hair too dark.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/27/2012 10:24:00 PM More reviews by Marciana

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I had high expectations for this product and I was let down. My hair had been previously bleached blonde until I dyed it light brown about a month ago. Wanting to go back to a lighter color w/o harming it too much, I picked color oops up at walgreens for $14. I followed the directions exactly and rinsed my hair for about 25 minutes in hot water. I am disappointed to say that the results weren't all that great. It did lighten my hair a shade or two, but it's not even close to the blonde I had before. It's more like a very dark blonde. I was not pleased, but at least it lightened my hair a little.