November 25, 2014 | 1817 users online

Hair Treatments - Extra Strength Hair Color Remover - Color Oops

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2012 11:24:00 AM More reviews by AshleyNicholeR

I was really scared of using this product, but now that I used it I am VERY pleased with the outcome, it was much better than I expected. I have a light ash blonde hair color and I put BRIGHT red in the very front. After trying to find a way to rid of the red without going to the salon and spending a lot of money I decided t take a chance on this product. My hair is now for the most part back to its blond I ended up with only two light pink streaks which I can easily rid of. I'm not even going to dye over it. My hair isn't damaged. The smell isn't that great, but I think it was well worth it. The 20 minutes of rinsing took FOREVER, but again well worth it. I'm very pleased with this product considering I thought I was going to have to bleach my hair, this was a great alternative!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/20/2012 11:48:00 AM More reviews by nanphil70

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Amazing!I would recommend it to my friends.I went from an ugly dark red brown back to my real color- light golden blonde with a hint of red.I am very pleased.God doesn't make mistakes.It is best to keep within a shade or two of your natural color.I had colored my hair with a dark golden blonde which looked great on the box.Big mistake!!! it was way too dark and did not look natural.Ifollowed the directions for Color Oops to the letter.It was tedious rinsing for so long,but well worth the effort.The smell was not that bad to me.I do not need to recolor.I am happy with my results.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/8/2012 6:42:00 PM More reviews by Kabuk1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

*sigh* I don't know why I keep wasting money on this crap. Never again. I've tried it on 3 separate occasions with 3 different colors of hair, and it never works. Oh, it'll lighten it up initially, but as soon as you try to dye it another color you're right back to where you started with the color you didn't want! I've followed the directions each time, rinsed & scrubbed until my scalp & hands were RAW, yet the second a drop of developer touches it, I'm right back to my original color. This stuff simply DOES. NOT. WORK.

Last night's fiasco was the most infuriating though. I was trying to remove a *single application* of dark brown dye- mind you, NOT years worth of dye, but ONE single application- and it seemed to work at first. I rinsed/shampooed as instructed, and proceeded to re-tint my now-orange hair a with a light brown semi-perm dye. To my horror, within minutes of applying the dye, my hair was JET BLACK. I used LIGHT BROWN dye and it came out even darker than the original dye that I tried to remove!!! I don't even... SO PISSED.

Bottom line- this may work for some people, but it has NEVER worked for me. Maybe it's just my hair, but I always end up back in the store buying bleach in the end. I've just eaten the cost with this product in the past, but this time I've written to the company to get my money back. I had to use 2 boxes due to my long hair, and I basically just flushed $20 down the damn toilet.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/3/2012 12:31:00 AM More reviews by whitneyjw

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Wow, I'm impressed. I have been dying my hair since I was 15, so for the last 8 years. My hair is naturally a light, mousy, ugly brown. I have dyed it just about every color. I have used box colors and have had my hair colored at salons. Most recently I had it light brown with blonde hilights for my wedding. When those hilights were grown out I dyed my hair all medium brown. Then in February I dyed it a medium "mohogany brown" at a salon. What I did not know it that this "brown" had a ton of red in it. The results were like bright red. I was hoping that it would just fade out from washing it a lot with really hot water but what ended up happening is the red tint faded to a lighter red, but would not go away and dying over it with an ash brown color did not work. My roots were light brown and then two inches down from the roots was still very red tinted. I had never used color oops before but had seen it at drugstores several times and considered it but was never brave enough. I read a ton of reviews and decided to try it. It worked very well. It got like 90% of the red tint out of my hair. I think if I would have done it sooner and not waited so long and tried to dye over it, it would have gotten all the red out. I also probably could have used color oops a second time because it didn't damage my hair. My hair felt a little dry but I put a TON of organix awapuhi ginger recovery mask on my hair after the 20 minute rinse and I left the conditioner on for 20 minutes then rinsed, now my hair feels really soft. The color result after I rinsed out the color oops and blow dried was like a really light caramelly brown. It was pretty nice looking and I could have just left it, but it was a tiny bit too brassy for my taste. (I actually expected it would be a lot more brassy, so I was pleasantly surprised) I dyed it again right away with Nice 'N Easy foam color in dark blonde. I wanted light brown so I picked one shade lighter because I read that the hair is porous after using color oops so it will take in the color faster and go darker and ashier. I left the dye on for 10 minutes and thought it looked like a nice light brown so I washed it out and it looks great! There is virtually no red tint to my hair now and it looks like my natural color only better! I wish I would have found color oops sooner because I could have saved a lot of money from bleaching my hair at the salon, also could have saved my hair from a lot of damage I did to it in the past. The results were better than I ever got with bleaching. I will definitely buy color oops again if I ever have another hair color blunder.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2012 5:07:00 PM More reviews by heathgxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

AMAZING PRODUCT. i have strawberry blonde hair natural, i had highlights done at a salon, then i died my hair brown, and then bright red. ONE time using this product, my hair is at my natural strawberry blonde and feels great, not damaged at all. the smell is no different than any other hair color product. i will be reccomending this product to everyone!!! has completely blown my expectations out of the water

rated 4 of 5 on 5/28/2012 1:51:00 PM More reviews by wonderstruck91

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

My hair is naturally medium blonde & I have been on a kick dying it darker to medium brown for a few months now. With the summer sun and swimming, it's become a lot harder to keep up with, so I wanted to return somewhere closer to my natural blonde color. I decided to use color oops because it seemed less damaging than bleach.

Because I had dyed my hair so many times, I expected the color to come out orangey/brassy and it did. The color is not as light as my natural color, and is drastically more golden, but it is at a point light enough now that I can recolor.

Will update after I recolor in a few days :) Giving my hair a bit of a rest before dying again.

Edit: took the plunge and recolored my hair about 12 hours after application. Used a neutral color filler prior to coloring. Used a level 8 beige blonde because I wanted a level 7 ashy/neutral (close to my natural shade). It came out exactly how I had hoped! So happy with this experience!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/19/2012 8:29:00 PM More reviews by kh0215

I have not been happy with my hair since my last color. I had switched over to using Revlon Colorsilk to save some money. Yeah, I am ready to put the 5.00 I am saving back towards my Lorel Preference Creme.

My ends had really oxidized with the use of Colorsilk, I had brassy roots with black ends. This was using a medium reddish brown color. I had threatened my husband with the possibility that I may have to go to a salon and have my color corrected.

I was going to go to Sally's to get something to try but decided to run to walgreens instead. 12.99 for this and 7.59 for some new hair color, I was headed home to either sink or swim. Mixed it up, applied as the directions stated, wrapped and waited. I could not tell a difference by looking in the mirror, I hit the shower pensive that I may have just ruined my hair that I have been trying to grow out for over a year.

I rinsed and washed and rinsed some more- 20 minutes is a LONG time. After a deep conditioning mask I dried my hair. I haven't seen my natural hair color in about 18 years. But I did tonight! I was able to cover my gray with a beautiful medium brown that is perfect. I seriously cried when I blew it dry the last time. AWESOME!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2012 7:53:00 PM More reviews by Ramie

Great product, does exactly what it's supposed to do.

Some background if you're interested:

I have naturally brown to dark brown hair and have been dying it about a shade lighter for almost five years now. About a month and a half ago I used Clairol's Nice and Easy permanent hair dye in "Natural Darkest Brown." Long story short, I had jet black hair. Initially, I didn't mind the color. Sure it was a little dark and I looked like "Criss Angel" one of my friends said, but hey, I rocked it. But let me tell you guys, black gets old fast.

About 1.5 inches of my natural hair color was grown in after a month and a half and I thought that I'd dye my hair again to the regular honey brown I've always had. BIG MISTAKE. My roots dyed beautifully..... But the rest of my hair was still jet black. In a panic, I researched and researched how to fix this problem and found several different 'color strippers.' (I didn't want to use bleach) Color Oops seemed to have the best average rating so I went for that one.

Applying the product was pretty simple. If you dye your hair at home by yourself, you'll have absolutely no problem with this step. One thing I'll mention is saturation of EVERY strand is VERY important - otherwise you'll end up with blotchy hair.

The smell... really wasn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Light a scented candle, open the window and turn on the bathroom fan and you're good to go.

The results were almost immediate! I could practically see my hair lightening from black to dark brown to brown to... orange-y brown. I expected this outcome since I had done my research thoroughly; from black, your hair MAY turn into a color with an orange tint. In my case, I actually liked the color so I kept it, but you can dye your hair right away (choose a dye that's 3 shades lighter than you want) as the product isn't very damaging. BE SURE to actually RINSE as long as specified. That step really helped to lighten my hair all the way.

All in all, this is definitely a product I would use again if I have another hair dye catastrophe. Second time around, I'd probably be more careful in applying the watery formula in my hair, as I did get some 'blotchiness.'

rated 3 of 5 on 4/3/2012 9:32:00 PM More reviews by brwneyedxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I would use this in the case of emergencies only. Here was my case: I have naturally dark brown hair. I had dark blonde highlights that I dyed over with semi-permanent medium brown hair dye, but it came out darker than I wanted. I hoped to go back to my highlights. I followed the directions pretty exactly (processed for twenty minutes, shampooed and rinsed for twenty minutes, then one more shampoo and rinse). My results: my hair is a slightly lighter brown where I had highlights, and much redder and brassier in those spots as well. Not really what I was going for. I'm hesitant to correct the brassiness with a light ash dye because I don't want to end up where I was before using this.

For all of that time spent in the shower, I could've probably just done the 28 shampoos my darker dye was supposed to last for. Or, I could've just been more patient and waited for it to fade! I don't think I would purchase this again unless I was desperate. Another thing - when people comment on the smell, they're definitely not joking! It's nasty.

Overall, I'm giving this three lipsticks just because it did lighten my hair a little bit, and importantly, it didn't seem to cause too much damage.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2012 1:54:00 PM More reviews by MaggieBee92

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

My hair is naturally chocolate brown, very thick and very wavy. I dyed it black about five months ago and was tired of it, so I tried dying it red with nice n easy auburn. It dyed JUST the four inches of my natural roots and didn't touch the rest of it. So I did some research and tried dying it auburn again with Garnier Nutrisse. Again, it just colored the roots of my hair bright red and left the rest black. I was at a loss and did more research and found stuff on Color Oops but I was hesitant to try it because it seemed like it would just work on blonde or lighter colored hair. I tried it and followed all the rinsing instructions EXACTLY, using a timer, and it WORKED! ALL of my hair came out one solid color: my natural color, chocolate brown. Not a single trace of red or black left. After blow drying it, I dyed it again with a nice n easy natural auburn, and it came out perfect. My hair is all red! I was shocked that it worked so well, but I will definitely be using it again if I ever decide to go darker again. I highly recommend!