December 21, 2014 | 1865 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Aveda - Large Paddle Brush

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2005 6:15:00 PM More reviews by asaksa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

I have had this brush for 8 years. I bought another 2 years back. I have thick,wavy hair. It massages my scalp and detangles fast. It works great with blow outs. I never travel without it.Update: My whole family uses this brush. I bought a new one for me. My daughter, son and husband kept borrowing mine. Now they hae their own. Love it!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/2/2005 2:52:00 AM More reviews by productaholic

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought this on recommendation from my hair dresser. She also taught me how to blow dry with it using this special technique. Now I do not live by my straightener and like the blow dried look. I like it. So far so great!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/25/2005 12:50:00 PM More reviews by lily530

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really don't see the difference between this paddle brush and my Denman, other than maybe the handle is easier to hold?

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2005 1:19:00 PM More reviews by joules6

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have an earlier version of the Avead Paddle brush: the one with the curved wooden handle and the wooden bristles. I love it. Right up there in the Mason Pearson quality territory. A must!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2005 7:14:00 AM More reviews by wildchipmunk

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I am on my 3rd Aveda paddle brush in 20 years. The first ones were made of plastic, and the handle broke off.

The only thing I can complain about is that it is peeling, which does annoy me a lot. However, it is fabulous at helping to straighten my fine and curly hair. My husband loves this brush too so I always know to check out his sink area when it's missing.

This brush was originally designed for scalp treatments and detangling, according to the Aveda website.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2005 2:29:00 PM More reviews by KarenDi

This is my favorite brush. I bought a second one today since my daughter "stole" my original and I can never find it when I need it. My sole complaint is the chipping of the paint on the wooden handle part. I mentioned this to the Aveda sales person and she said that many people expressed the same views. Knowing this, I wish the Aveda product designer takes heed and redesigns or uses a chip proof stain.......

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2005 11:58:00 AM More reviews by Persifler

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I purchased the Aveda paddle brush a few months ago based on the reviews here. It is "designed for scalp treatments and detangling [featuring] extended bristles that stimulate and massage the scalp." It is made from Chinese honey wood with a black cushioned base. The bristles are all black and rounded on the end, but they have not been dipped to produce the large colored balls on the tips that you see on typical brushes. Therefore, this brush may not be suitable for you if your scalp is delicate or very sensitive. It took me a couple of days to become accustomed to the feeling, and I now think it's great. It's stimulating and soothing at the same time. The enclosed pamphlet explains that the brush is designed to reduce stress to hair and scalp during blow-drying and styling. It feels light in my hand, and it glides through my long, fine hair without snagging. It comes in a plastic reusable clamshell that you may want to keep for storage. My only complaint is that some of the wood stain has chipped off my brush already, even though I return it to the plastic clamshell after use. I have recently purchased a second one for travel. Hopefully, this one won't chip.

$15 at Aveda salons and lifestyle stores. continued >>

rated 2 of 5 on 6/16/2005 8:41:00 PM More reviews by EVAFILMS

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

OKAY, BEFORE ANY OF YOU NEW GIRLS SEE THE HIGH RATING ON THIS BRUSH, BE WARNED!!!!
I just went to Aveda based on these great reviews, and bought a very nice looking paddle brush. Well, once I opened the packaging and brushed my hair, the bristles scratched my scalp so much! The tops of the bristles do not have those rounded balls which prevent split ends. I took it back to Aveda and they said that it was odd that the bristles were so jagged. They showed me an older version of the brush, and IT WAS WONDERFUL! It had the little balls, and better quality bristles. I went to two other Aveda stores, and they were all the newer and cheaper versions. So please make sure you check the bristles or else you will regret paying $15 for a brush that hurts your scalp and hair. AND IF ANY BODY FROM AVEDA READS THIS, PLEASE COMPLAIN ABOUT THE NEW PADDLE BRUSHES BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT AVEDA QUALITY. I SO WISH I BOUGHT THIS BRUSH A LONG TIME AGO :(

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2005 10:28:00 PM More reviews by frozen_rain

haha...I can't believe I spent $15 on a brush. Anyways, I love it. I had just bought it, and all my friends tried it, and loved it.
It's so light and easy to handle. The bristles are very massaging, and this detangles really well.
Also, for blow-drying, it's great! No static at all!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2005 10:10:00 AM More reviews by nurseali

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love this brush. I had a Mason-Pearson and a maid at a hotel stole it. I needed a brush ASAP and bought this one based on recs from the boards. I will not be replacing the M-P. My Aveda works just as well if not better for a whole lot less. I may need to buy another because my daughter keeps borrowing mine. I have very thick wavy hair and it detangles it like a dream. It massages your scalp too. Even my husband likes the way it makes your scalp feel as you are brushing. Highly recommend.