April 17, 2014 | 1910 users online

Other - Omega 3 supplement

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2008 12:31:00 AM More reviews by msdi2u

Just had to add my 2 cents here, especially after reading such glowing reviews about this alleged "miracle" vitamin/pill/supplement. I have been taking Omega-3 daily for over a year now, mostly because a doctor told me it helps lower your cholesterol. Has it done that? I doubt it- but I honestly haven't had a blood test in a while, so I have no proof. (I will come back and update this review if it has indeed lowered my level.)
I am taking the Natrol brand, same as pictured on this site. There were times when I took 2-3 pills a day; though not lately. Women here have claimed that taking this supplement has eliminated their menstrual cramps, cleared-up their skin, reduced/eliminated wrinkles, and thickened their hair... just to name a few of Omega 3's many supposed miracles. I say, "HAH!" Either I got a sequence of bad bottles... or this has a placebo effect on a lot of gullible females... because I still have monthly cramps, my skin still breaks out, I see more and more wrinkles on my face every day, and my hair is just as fine- and graying- more rapidly than ever! Did I mention that I also still have ridges in my fingernails? How can this little, rubbery, pill be doing all these remarkable things for so many people... and nada for me? I have been taking these pills DAILY since January 2007... and I have no medical or "beauty" miracles to report. NONE. I keep taking them because I am hoping that this is helping my cholesterol levels, but besides that, nothing else has improved because of me taking these supplements. No miracle supplement for me to report... sorry!
:o\
However, if my next blood test shows improvement in my cholesterol levels... I will faithfully come back and edit this review. But I wouldn't highly recommend these as any kind of cure-all for what ails the average woman... 'cuz it obviously just isn't so.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2008 11:41:00 PM More reviews by frenchie_cutay

well i cant make a hundred percent claim for beauty benefits yet (my hair is a bit on the oily side and a couple of zits i dont usually get have popped up, but nothing dramatic, I think my body is just adjusting still), but anyone saying its a placebo effect for period cramps is wrong. I didn't even KNOW that was one of the possible side effects until I noticed for the first time in 10 years I had no cramps, and trust me they're usually doozies. So i thought weird, maybe I should google if there's a link...and turns out there might be! So im telling you there is, I havent changed anything else exercise or diet wise at all!! If thats not it, this is the world's weirdest coincidence. Will update if my hair and skin calms down a bit although I am using a new shampoo that might be wats doing it anyway. In the meantime my liver and stomach will be happy for every less ibuprofen I pop every month!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2008 9:33:00 AM More reviews by SensualSusanna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I take Costco Brand 1000 mg. Fish Oil capsules... 3000mgs daily... with my largest meal of the day (usually dinner). By taking with food, this alleviates the 'fish bleches.. I have been doing this and recommending this to family and friends for years! Fish oil is an anti-inflamatory for the body.... it helps with arthritis pain, acne, migraines, and overall well being. If you want to feel great.. and look luminous... this is the way to go. I am almost 44 and have NO wrinkles or dull skin.......But what's better is I have little to no peri-menopausal symptoms ...My long-standing PMS is basically non-existent with the exception of a salt craving the day before and ... a little cramping. My lab reports are all spot on and I really do attribute it to fish oil. A diet rich in fruits, veggies and lean protein and little to no junk food helps too. My incredibly wise mother always told me to nourish my body with the good stuff and plently of sleep & H2O;;;;; this is the secret to true beauty.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2008 7:17:00 PM More reviews by sbuxjunkie29

Omega fatty acids can help treat all types of systemic imflammation and if the research pans out, they will have a significant impact on human health.
However, it is really important to point out that this is an oil that can be derived from any part of the fish - distilled improperly you can have a number of hormones and other fish byproduct in the supplement. (I have a friend who is a biochemist who did an analysis of some of these pills, and found fish hormones, sterols and other nasty bits in the pill!) It is also a possibility that these oils go rancid if improperly handled - light, sun, heat. Plant derived oils (like borage and pumpkin) can be dangerous for pregnant women to take...
Just make sure to find a really good supplement - do your research! I would also suggest not asking your (American) physician to recommend a brand - they often don't approve of such "natural" remedies and they also don't have the understanding of biochemistry to point you in a safe direction.
I would take them, but I haven't found a reputable enough brand for less that $200 USD a month - I just increased my natural intake by eating fish and nuts. I swear by omega fatty acid, but not in pill form.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2008 5:11:00 PM More reviews by jasmin3w4

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

So many benefits to using this product. I have been taking 2000mg a day of Omega 3 for 7 months now. I have found it's made my nails stronger, reduced dryness, and my hair strands are thicker and it grows faster (it's taking a little longer to dry my hair). My skin is very oily and acne prone & my acne breakouts have reduced and my skin looks a bit more glowy.

I have found it's great for moodiness as well and works well for depression. If you have high cholesterol, it works to reduce your LDL cholesterol levels. I have heard of people who have used this as managed to lose a little weight (I don't think it's done anything for me in this area but your results may vary)

Bottom line is that it's great for your well being and body overall. I buy the large bottles from Wal-mart & they work just as well as the name brands. You really have nothing to lose when trying this.

I am going to try adding Evening Primrose Oil to my vitamin regimen as well (this contains Omega 6) and see if I get addtional benefit...............stay tuned!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2008 1:56:00 AM More reviews by aterrebonne

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Best. Dang. Beauty. Product.

So freaking what if it's a supplement!!! Ever since I've seen this in Productville with such great reviews I've bought it. And guess what has happened to me? Better skin, better nails, better hair. It works!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2008 11:33:00 AM More reviews by mandyap

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

One word: MIRACLE. My skin is horrible: always feels dirty/greasy in only a few hours after washing, oily, shiny, and acne prone. I can no longer say this about my skin. After working for hours the second day after using fish oil, my skin was not shiny at all and still felt clean. I couldn't believe it but it's only been a few days and it's still working for me. My hair has been soft and it usually gets greasy as well throughout the day but not anymore! I am so happy that my sister told me about this. She started taking fish oil because she is pregnant and read an article about it helping the baby's IQ. Her friends had noticed a huge difference in her hair and skin and she recommended it to me because we have similar hair and skin types. LOVE IT! Of course, may not work on everyone but it's worth a shot. I got the smaller package for only $6 , buy one get one free. Next time I'm going to purchase the bigger pack!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/16/2008 4:34:00 PM More reviews by candiy1028

I've been using Omega 3 for three weeks. Im taking Nature Made and the results has been really good especially for my skin (i take 4 times a day). The pores on my nose appear smaller and my skin smoother. I use to take birth control pills which made my skin really bad with huge acne on my cheeks and chin which became painful. I got off the pills and after two weeks my acne hadn't healed yet. So I started taking these and my face is clear. I have a nice glow and I love it! I havent notice anything dramatic with my hair and nails yet but I will definitely update after a couple months on that.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2008 3:55:00 PM More reviews by luvmywinny

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

my sister -in-law is a registered dietician and knows about vitamins. she also recommends taking borage-flax-fish oils. borage oil is filtered before becoming a capsule. it is anti inflamatory and diabetics use it. gamma linolenic acid in borage oil is more important versus fish oil. fish oil can cause rashes. my vitamins comes from eckerds.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2008 11:58:00 AM More reviews by jess428

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

I don't know this for fact, so do some research on it if you are interested, but I have heard (I work in a vitamin store....so I probably should know for fact :) ), but if you are acne-prone, taking Omega 6 pills (or the Omega 3-6-9) can actually aggrevate acne, so stick to Omega 3 fish oil.

BTW, I take Vitamin World brand Omega 3 Fish Oil in 1000 mg doses. Wonderful for hair, nails, skin, heart health, circulatory system, you name it.