October 22, 2014 | 1365 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2013 5:09:00 PM More reviews by JadaIgwe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Deep Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tried it and didn't hate it, but didn't love it either.

Big problem is after only 20 minutes, I was an oompah-loompah orange, without primer. With primer, it lasted 2 hours before I was orange again. It was also too matte for me. Staying power was ok however, hence the not so low rating.

I know a lot of people like it, but it wasn't for me.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2013 8:19:00 PM More reviews by babyblue59

This is my first ever high end foundation. My favorite foundations are Revlon Colorstay whipped and Covergirl Stay Fabulous and was excited to try this because I thought it would be a better, more luxurious version of those two. This foundation is nice but in all honesty, my inexpensive foundations are still better in terms of controlling oil and keeping me as matte as possible. Mat velvet keeps me perfectly matte for around 5-6 hours (WITH my Smashbox photo finish light primer, without the primer only about 3-4 hours) which might be enough for some, but I am used to foundations that keep me looking flawless for 10-12 hours AND they are a fraction of the price. This foundation is specifically marketed for combination/oily skin and it's nice , but in comparison to other foundations it just can't compete in terms of keeping me matte. The good thing is that this foundation responds well to touch ups. I can apply powder when I'm shiny and the foundation instantly looks fresh again. Re-powdering with this foundation never makes me look cakey or blotchy.

The thing I love most about this foundation is the coverage. It has better coverage than my Revlon and Covergirl and I can count on this to make my skin look perfectly even and flawless even with the reddest breakouts. If covers everything but it still looks fairly natural and not heavy. I know some people say the opposite, but as long as your apply this correctly (with a good buffing brush and without using too much) it looks really beautiful on the skin.

Overall, this is a nice foundation that offers good coverage and flawless results. If you have oily skin just be prepared to powder once or twice. Not a big deal unless you're like me and you've found products you don't have to do that with, but I think most oily girls are used to powdering/blotting. I have not decided if I will repurchase this when I run out yet. I think I'll have to see if I end up missing this in my collection when it's gone.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/28/2013 1:02:00 AM More reviews by fionavirginia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really like this foundation surprisingly. I have the Makeup For Ever HD foundation and had high expectations of it but it disappoints me a little. Too expensive for a foundation that is not long-wearing, oxidizes and makes my face look like an oil slick by the 3rd hour, so I thought I gave Mat Velvet + a try and I like this better than the HD.
I'm an NC30 and Mat Velvet + shade #40 is perfect for my skin tone. As expected it gives a matte finish, but not too matte that it's easily cakey. It might be like that though in a cooler climate. (FYI, I live in a tropical climate about 100'F all year round with high humidity of 80-90%). This Mat Velvet + foundation has a slight thick consistency yet it feels light on face. I find the best application is using a damp sponge (beauty blender). But it's just me.. I always use the beauty blender when applying liquid foundations that have thicker consistency and would use a brush (Real Techniques Expert Face or Sigma F80/F88 kabuki) when applying more runny, liquid-y ones. Of course everyone's different and use whatever you feel most comfortable with that gives you the best result.
I put the MUFE Super Matte Loose Powder sparingly and a bit more on the t-zone area after applying the foundation and it lasts a good 6-7 hours with a little blotting on the t-zone. And it is surprisingly doesn't oxidize badly.
What I like most about this is that it doesn't give me a white cast in flash photography. Last weekend I was out with friends and we took many photos with flash and my face looked flawless. I also like the packaging, a little tube with a small nose tip that gives control over how much you want to use, usually 1-2 squirts is enough to do the whole face and neck. The tube is light and small, perfect to bring when travelling. I'm really not into big bottles with lids that tend to break (UD Naked Skin and MUFE HD) considering that they contain the same amount of product inside. I just wish this Mat Velvet + came in a clear tube so I knew how much product I had used.
Overall, I'm happy with this foundation, and will repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/5/2013 8:57:00 PM More reviews by margheritax

I love this foundation! The texture is pretty thick and I find that the best application is with my fingers and then blending it out with my Real Techniques expert face brush. I love the packaging as it's very compact and plastic so there's no chance of it breaking. I wish it had a pump but that's not so bad considering the needle nose tip dispenses the product well. The finish is matte but not at all flat and I put a little bit of powder on my t-zone since I get shiny fairly easily. I use the powder very sparingly though and I don't need to touch up at all. The shade 40 matches me very well. Will definitely repurchase. I wish you could tell how much product was left though. :-)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2013 4:44:00 AM More reviews by ArizonaAngel

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love this! I bought No. 45 - Soft Beige. For reference I have an NW30+ or so skin tone. Bought it on a whim and sight unseen and I got a perfect match. Not super pink, way more neutral. This has amazing coverage, looks flawless and stays on. Looks beautiful. I do not even need concealer for my slight melasma on my forehead! This will get cakey if you put a lot of layers or add a lot of setting powder (I learned the hard way). But it looks amazing in photos! I save this foundation for nights out/special occasions as it is pretty full coverage on me and looks "too made up" for running errands, etc. But this has surpassed with Clarins Everlasting for my nights out/stay on until daybreak/full makeup coverage foundations. This has a way better color match, no scent and I can use a lot less then Everlasting. Love this!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2013 9:23:00 PM More reviews by PianoGirl1985

Yickes. I received a sample of this foundation at Sephora after looking for a good light coverage foundation for oily/combo skin. One of the representatives there told me to get it since it was the best color match for my skin tone (I originally wanted to get UD Naked foundation).
The coverage of this foundation is definitely not light (at least on my skin) and it is indeed mattifying...for about an hour. The color match was good, however it did oxidize and just looked bad on my skin (kind of orange-ish). I usually do not like medium/full coverage foundations since I don't have much to cover up, however I recently have gotten a fairly large zit on the bridge of my nose that would not go away for several days now. So, I decided to cover it up well and this foundation did not hide even the redness! On some parts of my face you could see how thick the foundation looked, even though I blended it out very well. However, it did not cover the blemish at all which is very strange... Plus after a few hours my face did not look fresh anymore. It had cakey and dry areas and a terribly shiny T-zone. When I saw my face in the mirror at school I had an urge to wash my face since it just looked awful.
For that kind of money there are better foundations out there and if you want a true matte finish for less money just buy yourself Revlon color stay foundation.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/20/2013 12:24:00 AM More reviews by thirdsword

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

EDIT: It took me a long time, but I found out that like pretty much every other base product, Mat Velvet+ does in fact oxidize on me once the powdery finish fades. This I can prevent (and increase the wear time) with a primer, but to *have* to wear one is another deal-breaker for me.

MUFE Mat Velvet+ sounded like it would be my HG foundation: oil-controlling, full coverage, matte finish. After having great experiences with their Full Cover concealer, reading rave reviews from fellow oily faces, and being recommended the product by an SA I was dead set on getting it, only to hesitate for a short time in a debate between buying this and the Kat von D foundation. Unfortunately, I regret this decision, as Mat Velvet+ failed to fulfil my expectations.

I was matched to shade #30 by an SA, whom I had told my Full Cover shade (#6) as a reference. It was a little ashy and pink on me, but with my yellow-olive, hard-to-match skintone, I accepted #30 as good enough. Perhaps I should have gotten #40, but when I swatched it, it looked too dark, and I prefer going a little pale over dark. I bought a bottle without initially going through a sample (a terrible mistake), and tried it the next day.

The small, compact bottle with the squeeze tip is great for getting precise amounts of product out, plus it's plastic, so I don't have to worry about breakage. True to its name, it dries to a smooth, shine-free finish that doesn't require additional powdering. However, this is where the compliments end.

MUFE advertises this to be a full coverage foundation, and while this can be achieved, it requires a substantial amount of product. When I hear "full coverage" I expect the product to completely (or almost completely) cover up my dark and numerous acne scars with a small amount...I mean about a pea-sized amount. That's how much I need to cover up one cheek with Mat Velvet+, and even then I need a good deal of concealer. And despite the matte finish, I'll end up with a very shiny nose about four hours in, and after no more than eight hours I look like a complete greaseball. This isn't even in hot weather! The coverage is comparable to that of the new Revlon Colorstay liquid foundation (i.e. closer to medium than full), while the oil control level is worse. I might as well as save my money and buy a similar-performing product for half the price!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2013 8:25:00 PM More reviews by Lms526

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

I recently tried the Color IQ system at Sephora. They take 3 photos of your face (forehead, neck, and cheek) and then enter it into a computer. You are given a number, mine is 1Y07. Your number is then matched to every foundation Sephora carries. I had 67 matches for me. You also get two free foundation samples. When you go to the Sephora website, you enter Color IQ in the search box. Then you enter the number they give you. Then you select the foundation you want, and it tells you based on your number what shade you need. The makeups I've tried based on my number have been perfect matches, so it does work.

When you do the Color IQ, you get 2 free foundation samples. I was given a sample of the Hourglass Immaculate Liquid to Powder foundation in Ivory. I absolutely hated it. The color was perfect, but the foundation itself just didn't work with my skin. It settled into and magnified every bump and flaw on my face. I also found it really difficult to work with.

The second sample I was given was for this foundation. Based on my number, I was matched to shade 35 Vanilla. When I first saw the color in the sample cup, I was a little concerned it would be too light. But it wasn't. In fact, it was an exact match. This foundation does a great job of covering the redness and small bumps on my face. It makes my face look flawless. This foundation is also very buildable. It NEVER looks cakey. The staying power is also great. It usually lasts about 10-11 hours before it starts fading away. This foundation is also very lightweight. You can't even tell you have it on. It doesn't feel or look like a mask, the way so many other full-coverage foundations can. I only had enough from the sample for one use, so as soon as I ran out, I bought a full-sized bottle.

Shortly after I purchased the full-sized bottle, my face started itching. At first, i thought it was this foundation, so I retuned it. I expected the itching to go away, but it didn't. In fact, it got progressively worse. I didn't understand it. This foundation was the only thing in my beauty routin that had changed. But then I realized that I had started using "L'oreal Damage Erasing Balm around the same time as this foundation. I realized it was probably that I was allergic to. I stopped using it and the itching stopped. I was thrilled and immediately repurchased this foundation. I've been using this foundation for over 2 months now, and I haven't had any other problems. This is a great choice for people with both oily and allergy-prone skin like mine.

The only thing that I'm not crazy about with this foundation is the bottle it comes in. I wish it came in a bigger bottle. I love the plastic bottle and the nozzle. But I really wish the bottle was more see through. It makes a little difficult to see how much product is left. But this is minor. This is definitely an HG foundation for me. The longer I use it, the more I love it. I will definitely repurchase. Great foundation for the price.

EDIT 11/17/13
I still really like the coverage and natural finish of this foundation. It is buildable and never looks cakey. It does a great job of covering up the redness and small bumps on my face. BUT it turns into a slimy, greasy mess on the areas where I'm most oily (especially my nose, area around my nose, and my chin) It stays amazing and lasts all day on my cheeks and forehead (where I'm not quite so oily) but it looks terrible on my oily areas after just a few hours. I did purchase a second bottle of this, but I ended up returning it. I exchanged it for Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 24 hour, which is similar in coverage and finish, but stays put even after 12 plus hours, and doesn't turn greasy like the Mat Velvet.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/16/2013 7:25:00 PM More reviews by tyeryann

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I used this foundation on my wedding day with a touch of the HD powder to set it, and everyone commented on how radiant and flawless I looked. When I got the photos back (even the ones taken by guests, so various angles/lighting/quality), it was true. My skin looked positively flawless and had none of the weird shine you might see with other foundations.

The other reviewers are right, however, in saying that it's a bit tricky to put on, there's not a whole lot of product for the price, and it can get cakey if applied too thickly. That said, using a good moisturizer right before application solved most of the issues for me. This is not my everyday foundation (I use a BB cream for daily use), but it is definitely my go-to foundation when I want a flawless, matte look for evenings out or special occasions. I will definitely make sure I keep a bottle of this in my makeup bag!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/15/2013 11:29:00 PM More reviews by mathesona1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm slowly falling deeply in love with this product. I have tried more mattifying, long-wear foundations than I care to think about, and this is the ONLY one I will repurchase. Is it perfect? No. But it does a better job than all the other foundations I've thrown my money away on. It wears longer, stays reasonably matte with the occasional blot, doesn't make me break out, doesn't cake, doesn't make me more oily. The one thing that it is absolutely tops on is the colour. I use #20 and it is the perfect colour match. Absolutely perfect. That alone makes this one a winner. I'm pale and I have struggled to find a GOOD colour match, let alone the PERFECT colour match.

I find that I get the best results applying this with a damp sponge (beauty blender dupe).