August 22, 2014 | 946 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2013 11:28:00 PM More reviews by Piggie8

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

EDIT: I have such a love hate relationship with this. I went back to my HG Tarte and then felt like I shouldn't let it go to waste so I tried it again with the HD Powder and I've fallen in love. It's like this perfect smoothness on my skin, and for once I have people thinking I have an awesome complexion (muahahahaha). It kind of depends on the day, but it seems to be lasting the whole day for me. It's also deep in the heart of winter in Utah, so I'm wondering if this is somehow a winter foundation for me? When I didn't believe in such before...

ORIGINAL: As much as I've rated this highly, it's honestly just not for me.

I developed sensitive skin a few years ago and my HG at the time, Revlon Colorstay, was starting to break me out. I decided to branch off a little bit and I saw some recommendations for this on the internet, so I picked one up at Sephora.

I liked the consistency of this, and I also like that the color is almost my literal exact skin match, I've never had any color as close as this in any other brand of foundation.

It's not a bad foundation per say as it's just not what I'm looking for.

It's more on the full coverage side, I'm used to a maximum coverage, but this is definitely more than medium. It's a nice even coverage and spreads nicely throughout the face.

I feel though that it doesn't have the most excellent lasting power. If I wear it on my own, I feel like it lasts about half the day, although when I pair it with the MUFE HD setting loose powder it has a decent staying time. I'm looking for a foundation that stays literally all day, although makeup products in general don't like to stay a decent time at all.

I've heard a lot of people that it stays up through sweat and a little more heavy physical activity, I don't personally find that to be true. I find that it gets pretty splotchy on me on doing so when it happens and can get cakey looking and doesn't necessarily clog my pours, but I don't feel as if it breathes, but that is with setting powder and I don't feel I feel that same thing with the same setting powder and other foundations.

I think it's a nice foundation, but more of for people with normal skin or people who don't have a lot of problems with staying power or something similar. I would perchase it again, but I don't find myself doing it any time soon.

Also a note for me, I've tested it in winter and summer. I got it a first time in December of last year and then used that up, used two other ones and decided to try this again in the heat of Utah.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/6/2013 7:22:00 PM More reviews by Meganmck

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

So let me take the next few minutes of your life to tell you about how awesome MUFE Matte Velvet+ foundation is.

If you have not yet tried this product it is an absolute must in my humble opinion!

First of all, the coverage is phenomenal! I have red/acne prone skin and this foundation covers all of it. The only times I have needed a concealer when using this product has been to spot cover a new pimple that is just starting to rear it's ugly head.

Secondly, this foundation in 25 is the perfect match for my skintone and looks so natural on me.

Thirdly, this stuff stays put. I had a 17 hour day where I was away from my house from 6 am until almost 11pm that night and the stuff was still there. I did not touch up once during the day. I will say that at this time my skin did look a little oily, but it hadn't moved.

With that being said, there are some drawbacks to this product.

First, it transfers quite a bit... you need to make the conscious effort not to touch your face to anything while wearing this foundation. While blotting one day a lot of the product transfered to the blotting sheet, which was annoying. But yet it did not take off the makeup or diminish it's coverage. Weird, I know.

The other drawback is the price. A whopping $42 price tag in my area. This is a lot of money, especially when you take into account that you only get 1 fluid ounce of product... I mean this sucker is small!

However, this product has become a must-have for me. I will say that if you are someone with very oily skin, I think this product will help with oil control quite well.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/3/2013 3:16:00 AM More reviews by eunicekris

One of the makeup guru that I watch swears on this foundation for staying matte and long lasting. I have tried it before as a sample and I remember never liking it. I tried again just to see if i will change my mind and it gave me the same results. I would put it on and after 2 hrs or so my nose is already oily..!!! So I'm definitely going back to my hourglass immaculate foundation which really really kept my face matte and non oily for at least 6 hours or more...!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/23/2013 10:44:00 PM More reviews by septimber

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I feel like I can't give this product a fair review because I only use it to mix with other foundations. The shade I purchased is too light but that makes it perfect for mixing with my other foundations which, guess what, are often a tad too dark. Also, I tend to be more drawn to bases which are marketed as "dewy" but alas I have an oily t zone and normal to dry cheeks.
What do? Mix in matte finish foundation!! It seems to prolong the wear time, too.
I love the packaging but I still have a complaint. You are supposed to shake before use. I definitely get product overflow as soon as I open it up after shaking but hopefully it will stop after I've used up more of it.
I'd definitely buy it again. In the same wrong color.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2013 2:44:00 PM More reviews by tiffany86

LOVE this!! I've used so many different brands and this one is wonderful!! It stays put all day, barely need touch ups. It has a very smooth, natural finish. It gives me coverage for flaws and red patches, but still looks like my natural skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/14/2013 12:10:00 AM More reviews by MinnieMe88

I have been addicted to MAC products for the longest time, guess it's mainly cause it's a product I'm most familiar with. I recently decided to try to find a new foundation, just for a change. I'm usually a NC30/35 (depending on the season, summer/winter) so I bought Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet PLUS Matifying Foundation in #30, cause the nice girl at SEPHORA had suggested that it matched me best and in the lighting at the store it looked good. But when I got home, I noticed it was a little lighter than it appeared to be while I was at the store. I took some pictures just to make sure, and sure enough my face was completely different from my neck and body (I know our body is usually slightly darker but this was a noticeable difference) so I went back and switched for the #40 and it's a much better match. I suggest asking for a few samples to play with at home in your natural lighting before settling on a color. But overall, I love how it is a matte finish, works well with my combination/oily skin. Feels less cakey than MAC Studio Fix and MAC Prolongwear and definitely fights of the shine longer too.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/13/2013 5:08:00 PM More reviews by rose313

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

It is sort of cakey and dries fast when applying. It certainly does work though. Great coverage. Very matte, true to what it advertises. You can't see what's left in your bottle, so that's a little annoying, but it's not a big deal. I'd recommend Mac Mineralize over this one, because it's much smoother...it could be because I'm not a huge matte fan though.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/12/2013 10:04:00 PM More reviews by lizrocks8

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This gives you flawless looking skin. It looks like skin, rather than foundation. What I don't like about this is that you need to use a lot of product and the package is rather small. I also don't like the bottle as when it appears empty there is probably a lot of product left in the bottle, but the plastic is too thick to cut open and you just have to throw it away. You have to apply this with fingers as it absorbs into your skin within seconds and a lot of the product is wasted when you use a brush.
It has good coverage and doesn't crease.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/1/2013 3:42:00 PM More reviews by Asteil

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This product is awful! I tried applying it 2 different ways. With my hands and a brush. Its very cakey no light way to apply this garbage. And mattefying? Yea right my skin was oily within the first 3 hours and it comes off with a simple brush of your skin. I will never purchase this stuff again. At first it looked airbrushed on but very cakey, then it ended up getting an orange tint yuck.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/30/2013 11:33:00 AM More reviews by Gretalin

I have to say this product does not worth it's prize. I have really oily t zone. It claims that it can let me stay matt but I didn't feel much of the different than using drugstore foundation--or worse... It stay matt like 3hrs and then it start to come off of my skin. Even revlon can stay longer than it!!! Though it has great coverage. I like HD foundation better.