October 24, 2014 | 1787 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Philosophy - The Present Clear Makeup

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2010 11:38:00 AM More reviews by In2Film1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

If the Angels could bestow a primer on us women as a present (pun intended), this would be it. I love, love, love this primer. This is my third product by Philosophy and I am in heaven. I use it in conjunction with Amazing Grace Body Emulsion lotion and the Amazing Grace perfumed body mist. The Present does what it says it does - minimizes pores and gives my face a literal canvas on which to apply my makeup. Then, I thought to myself "Maybe this is mind over matter. Maybe it appears to work because I'm psyching myself out". I tested my theory this morning that this is not the case. I applied my make up without using The Present and the make up did not go on as smoothly, nor did it cover as completely. Nice, yes; flawless, no. Not without The Present.

Ladies, be good to yourself. By yourself a present... this Present.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/21/2010 1:26:00 PM More reviews by rory13

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Oh, Philosophy. I love your skincare, I love your shower gels, I love your fragrances. But I do not love this. It went on like spackle paste, it smells like an old lady's bath powder, and my foundation looked like someone shot me with a beige paintball gun. YUCK. I'm glad I only tried a sample.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/10/2010 6:31:00 PM More reviews by lifeissweet212

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was really excited to try this product from all of the great reviews. I had tried MUFE's primer and Smashbox photofinish, but they just felt really unnatural. This smelled really good (like lavender) but went on like elmer's glue! it was really thick and hard to blend. You have to let it set for a few minutes before putting on foundation/TM. It felt really nice and smooth once it dried, and it was easy to blend my TM. It kept makeup on nicely, but it made my skin really oily! I don't have oily skin, but my t-zone was sooo shiny after a few hours of this on. After a few days i noticed i was starting to break out on my forehead and temples and had no idea what it was that was causing it. after about a week of using this i had the worst breakout of my LIFE. it was so horrible and disgusting. i immeditaly stopped using this. It was like 40% small blemishes and 60% clogged pores. I'm still not completely cleared up from this, and it's been over a month and a half. If you have sensitive skin i WOULD NOT recommend this.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/21/2010 5:59:00 PM More reviews by chrisK75

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Got this in a combo pack with the supernatural for approx. 20$ cdn at Winners (TJMAXX)

What I love:
The smell (herbalish)
The consistency-smooth cream
It's colorless
Doesn't make my combo skin oily
Makeup goes on smooth and seems to stay but I get the same reaction even if I didn't put this on.

What I don't like:
It didn't shrink my pores
It didn't do anything for fine lines

Disappointing because I really was looking for something that would do something about my pores.

Final result: It's nice but not nice enough for the price.

Still on the search for my HG primer

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2010 4:16:00 PM More reviews by sunnygfunk

OK so i bought this product on sale at Winners (in Canada it is like TJ Maxx and ROss for you Americans:)) I tried it on top of Hope in a jar and it is amazing. My face looks like a canvas. I put MAC mineralize skinfinish in light meduim on top and voila! Instant smooth cleaR skin. I am making another trip to WInners to see if there is any left:)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/8/2010 12:27:00 AM More reviews by layla1983

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love this stuff. I was looking for a product that I could use as both a light moisturizer and a primer that wouldn't break my extremely finicky skin out. This product does the trick, plus it seems to really help to prevent my face from looking like an oil slick half way through the day. I love the way it feels on my skin after I've let it set for a couple minutes before I put my makeup on over it. If it weren't for my completely uneven skin tone I would wear this product alone, instead of makeup. My only issue, which isn't really a big deal, is that it is really THICK. I was concerned that it would be really heavy because of that and that it might break me out. That hasn't been the case at all. Once you rub this stuff in and let it set, it feels as light as air.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/4/2010 6:20:00 PM More reviews by mandeemandee

This is my HG primer in the winter. I'm a NW20 with fairly oily skin, but also dryness in the winter (don't ask me how that works out). My skin breaks out really easily and the Present didn't break me out! I use a very small amount after I moisturize and it does what it says! Makes my skin look pore less and smooth! Also, it's one of the less expensive primers out there! The packaging isn't super fancy, but it is easy to get the product out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2010 11:54:00 PM More reviews by cosec00

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my HG for making my skin appear sooth and flawless. Before discovering this product I wasn't able to wear foundation.

I started to use this under the supernatural foundation--but I had to give up on that foundation because my skin was just too dry and age has taken its toll to use a powder foundation.
Also the oxidation factor--I was wondering why I always looked orange in photos.

Anywho, I started experimenting with liquid foundations and discovered that if I mixed a liquid foundation WITH the present rather than layering it, I got a much nicer finish. My skin would appear smooth and flawless.

There is probably a bit of shine to occurs later in the day because of this product--but no worse that happens to me naturally. I could not LIVE with this product--thats how much I love it. Give it a whirl if you are looking to create a smoother texture to your skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2010 7:45:00 PM More reviews by Lemonz

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I really like this since it helps mattify my face, reduces the size of my pores, and provides a nice base for my tinted moisturizer & powder. But I don't find it worth the money.

I really do like this, but I won't buy it again unless I fall in love with over the next couple of weeks. It's great, but I probably won't buy it unless there is a sale on it or something.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/12/2010 5:07:00 PM More reviews by violetsky

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Green

I am an avid Philosophy user and I used to love the Present Clear Makeup. One day I came upon it again and decided to buy it since I loved it so much, and I became so disappointed! They must've changed the formula, cause something definitely changed.

Well first of all, I remembered the one thing that stopped me from buying it again: the chalkiness. Unless you use enough, it chalks on certain places where usually the drier skin is and in crevices. And when I mean enough, I mean you have to gloop this stuff on so that your skin looks wet. Also, it smells. Smells like a mixture of fish and plants that I can smell even through my powder (MAC Studiofix). Not good. :(

But I shoved it on my face. Once it dries (you really have to wait the 2 minutes. I prefer waiting longer, because it will still feel thick) your skin does kind of look a little more soft. But when I put my Studiofix on, it actually looked splotchy! Like the makeup wasn't smoothly going everywhere as it did with regular face lotion. And I could still smell it! And unfortunately as well, the makeup felt suddenly thick and transferable.

Major bummer Philosophy! Did you change your product?

Pro's: easy to travel with bottle, doesn't clog pores, softens skin

Con's: smells funny, chalky unless you use a lot, creases and sticks in crevices or eyelashes, makes power look splotchy, thick, makes makeup transfer

Buy again?

Overall: Definitely not worth the money. :( Big, fat no