Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

4.4

Extra-virgin coconut oil.

As this review is for the coconut oil as a cleanser I will tell you my experience with it (I also have reviews for other uses)- we don't have any relationship, not even as a cleanser. Which I tried once and it was enough because it is horrible. Gave me cysts, pimples and clogged pores.
From time to time I like to massage my eye area with an oil (and then wipe it off) and when I tried with coconut oil it irritated my skin as in small red dots and patches under my eyes. Also left a ''veil '' on my eyes. It is also very greasy and needed a lot of facial wash to clean it off. Yuck.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Ah, what would I do without this? It's great for pretty much anything in my beauty regime. It can be a body lotion, hair mask, eye/face-makeup remover and even a face moisturizer for those with dry skin. Personally I use as a hair mask when I run out of my Organix Moroccan Oil renewing Treatment. It does the job just as well. I use it mostly though as an eye-makeup remover. I think it's really gentle. I first gently wash my eyelids and eyelash with warm water to get rid of the stiff mascara sitting on it then I get a cotton ball put some coconut oil on my eyelids and gently rub off the smudged excess. It's so gentle and doesn't leave my eyes watery. It moisturizes my eyelids and under eyes before I go to bed.

2015 ... omg i found another awesome self treatment with this. I get a teaspoon of this, warm it up with my hands and put some sugar on and it works as an amaaaazing hand scrub. It exfoliates beautifully and i can see the difference as my hand looked whiter after. Plus the coconut oil nourished my hands so well. And trust me it leaves your hands so soft like petals. I do this at least once a week because my hands tend to get dry.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

*This review is for coconut oil as a cleanser/makeup remover*

I wanted to love this because I thought it would be an affordable and natural way of removing my makeup/cleansing my face, but unfortunately my skin hated it.

For reference, the brand I used was Loving Earth Organic Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. I used this by applying to dry skin, massaging to cleanse and remove makeup and then used a hot washcloth to remove it. It took more than one washcloth for me to remove the residue of this from my skin and despite the fact that my makeup was removed my skin still felt really dirty.

I broke out in deep, cystic acne on my cheeks that took weeks to heal and I now have scarring that I am trying to fade. This seems to work so well for some people but for me it was awful. I have since started using a cleansing balm that emulsifies when wet and am much more satisfied with the results.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Coconut oil has saved my life! I have had normal/combination skin ever since puberty hit & I use to torture my skin with benzoyl peroxide, alcohol-based astringents & used exfoliating cleansers on the daily. Can you say recipe for disaster?? No wonder I struggled with my skin so much lol.
Anywho, I'm older and wiser now lol & have discovered the amazing world of natural products.
I use coconut oil as a makeup remover ONLY. I start by rubbing a small amount of CO in my hands, apply it to my face and gently massage it all over for a good minute or two. Then, I'll grab for a makeup remover wipe and wipe off the gross oil and makeup mixture. I make sure the wipe is completely dirty. Then I'll use a cleanser (Neutrogena's naturals purifying facial cleanser with makeup remover) and thoroughly cleanse my face. I then pat my face dry with a clean towel and apply moisturizer (Olay's sensitive skin).
Not only is my skin nice and clear, it GLOWS! It feels so soft and I'm constantly complimented on my skin when I'm out and about. I've also noticed that some of old acne scars are fading and maybe it's just me but I feel that my pores have shrunk.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

**By the way, this listing is for coconut oil as a cleanser, there are separate reviews for coconut oil for hair and body. It gets confusing when people review for more than one use in the wrong listing.**

Don't get me wrong, I love coconut oil, a lot. I love to eat it, I love it in my hair, etc. But I was always scared to try it on my face. I am clog prone and had previously tried other oils for cleansing and usually what would happen is my open/picked at areas would clear and rejuvenate but after about a week I would get bumps again, usually around the jaw line. To be fair, I always have bumps and acne, so I don't even know what to blame for it, but if something is not helping then it I don't continue. So recently, I figured I may be over drying myself and I'll try coconut oil as a cleansing method. Like usual, my cuts cleared quickly and my skin felt like it was improving. But after about a week, I got a major amount of bumps on my forehead, which is not the usual spot that people break out after OCM and I actually thought it was heat rash. But it spread to my cheeks and basically, I had blackheads, whiteheads and tiny micro bumps ALL OVER that couldn't even be extracted or treated. It's been over a week since I stopped and I'm still dealing with it. I'm not oily skinned, but the coconut was just too clogging for me (as all seem to be, but I was right to think coconut would be more so). So as much as I love it, I absolutely can NOT use it on my face. I only gave two lippies because it made my skin so soft I hate to give it one. I know it helps a lot of people but for me, it just didn't, even rinsing thoroughly with a warm washcloth and sometimes using a bit of cleanser to make sure it was off.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I don't even bother with body lotion anymore. I've been using this and it keeps my skin super soft and smooth. I've used it for eye cream which I dab a little on and I haven't had any pimples. Also used it as a foot cream, moisturise my hair after apply to my body, and used it to polish my wood furniture. The possibilities are endless with this stuff. You will not be disappointed at all with this oil.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I think coconut oil is the best treatment of acne, i'm suggesting this product to you.

I use this for so many things. I cannot picture my life without it. Awesome makeup remover, great on nails, oil pulling, cooking, hair mask. Love love love! Doesn't make me break out and I love the smell.

oh my god where do I start...

Coconut oil has truly saved my skin. I have tried for so so long 100s of different moisturisers to try and rid my horrible dry, flaky skin on my forhead due to eczema.. not pretty! especially when adding foundation into the mix to try and hide the horrid redness on my face. I was a flaky mess for months!

I heard from a friend that she was using coconut oil on her extremely dry lips so I thought to give it a try. I applied about a teaspoon of this oil on my face and neck before going to sleep. When i woke up I already noticed an improvement in my skin, something i had almost given up on seeing.

2 months later I can proudly name coconut a HOLY GRAIL product for me as my flaky skin has aaaaalmost completely cleared. Its also extremely cheap and so easy to find. Its also extremely versitile as I also use it too shave my legs and as a hair mask.

HOLY GRAIL is not a title I give away easily but I was extremely happy to give it to coconut oil :)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

NOTE: I do NOT ever use this on my face. It breaks me out something awful. Thankfully, it has many other uses for me. I've been using it as a post-shower body lotion and it works pretty great. It absorbs faster than I'd expected and smells light, but nice. It's obviously not a harsh, synthetic, or strong scent. It leaves my skin very smooth, even my perpetually coarse elbows. I've also used coconut oil on my hair, a la hot oil treatment. Since I started co-washing, my hair hasn't needed too much babying, so I've not been using oil as much, but it works for that as well. It could be a good sealer/leave-in for those with less easily weighed down hair than my fine strands. I also eat coconut oil. It's tasty, and I believe full of the good-for-you fats. I tried some in my coffee(with milk, no sugar) and it was pretty yummy, though left a bit of an oily residue on the rim. C'est la vie, I still liked it.