October 25, 2014 | 1900 users online

Cleansers - Clean & Clear - Continuous Control Acne Cleaner

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2011 6:21:00 PM More reviews by amyers2

I have been using this product for months now and am so happy to finally find a selection of acne products with benzoyl peroxide in them.
- - - -
Pros - this product has definitely helped to clear up my skin. I have light acne, but as I am so fair skinned whenever I get a bump it looks flamingly red against my skin. Using this cleanser the amount of bumps I get has lessened considerably. Also - cheap!
- - - -
Cons - do not leave this product on your face for more than a minute or so. It will burn your face and leave it looking red. This is due to the 10% benzoyl peroxide, which is pretty strong for a drug store product (the few that do carry BP are usually under 2.5%). Make sure to follow up with a little moisturizer because it can be drying.
- - - -
Side note: I have tried low end and high end products to keep my skin smooth and blemish free and I definitely give some credit to this product. Will be going on my third bottle soon.
- - -
Update: 03.29.2011 - Decided I would not repurchase this product when a friend gave me some of her African Black Soap to use. No harsh chemicals and has been so-far been working wonders on my skin that no drug store / department store product has been able to do. Going to wait another few weeks or so before doing a review to make sure I don't wind up having a reaction.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2011 11:32:00 PM More reviews by georginapeach

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

HG acne cleanser FINALLY. i worked my way through the neutrogena, clean and clear, clearasil, and some higher end brands as well but nothing was working for my acne, which wasn't terrible, but i'd get a lot of blackheads, clogged pores, and the worst: cystic acne. salicylic acid did absolutely nothing on my skin, so it came down to which benzoyl peroxide products worked. this is amazing! my skin still isn't perfect, but its the best that its been in 2 years so i'm happy. i thought the menthol might be a problem, but it luckily isn't. slightly drying but i just dab moisturizer on the dry patches. but seriously, for me this is the best drugstore acne treatment i have ever used

rated 2 of 5 on 1/25/2011 9:55:00 PM More reviews by StellaFl

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I, sadly, have had a pretty horrible experience with this product. When I first started using it, I liked it well enough. My face felt super refreshed, kinda minty tingly, after using it. But after prolonged use, 2-3 months, my skin became very dry and I felt like it was making my skin worse, so I stopped using it. I recently tried to use it again, after having stopped 7-8 months previous, and I had a very bad reaction. All active blemishes on my face glazed over and started secreting yellowish oil (like olive oil), it looked like I had sun poisoning (which is completely impossible in my case). I now believe I'm allergic to benzoyl peroxide. To those who want to try this product and have never used benzoyl peroxide, I recommend first trying a product with a lower dose. 10% is a considerably high dosage for someone who doesn't know how they'll react. I don't recommend this product to people with sensitive/dry skin or someone using a topical gel/cream/lotion.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/8/2011 8:40:00 PM More reviews by epaton

I've had major acne issues for years. Been through all the drug store and prescription treatments, and then was put on Roaccutane.

I've used this for years. Has been the one cleanser that has helped my skin to some degree.
Proactive was a complete failure for me but this does help (even though they both have the same active ingredient).

I now use this every now and then as a face & body wash when I have a break out, and I also use it as a spot treatment. It really does help to stop infection and dry up zits when used like this.

I have sensitive skin so it can be irritating if I leave it on too long when used as a wash, or around my nose area. I just make sure to use it quickly and rinse it off well.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/28/2010 3:41:00 PM More reviews by sweetchristian

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This product didnt work right away with me, but after a few uses i started noticing that my face was more clear... also when a new breakout is beginning to form i wash my face with this and the next day its hardly even noticeble... I would recommend this product for anyone but not to people who have sensitive skin because this product is really strong... i would totally repurchase

rated 5 of 5 on 12/13/2010 3:42:00 PM More reviews by rubbersoul

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm surpirsed at the low rating of this product. I had been suffering with acne for a long time (including bacne) and I just finished trying Proactiv which was thoroughly underwhelming to say the least. What a waste of money! Proactiv has something like 2 - 2.5% benezol proxide and dried out my skin whereas Clean & Clear has 5% benezol proxide and I have absolutely no problems with dry spots anymore (I still use the same moisturizer as I always have too). I still get the occasional pimple if I'm stressed out or about to get my period but my face is essentially completely clear. I always buy Clean & Clear now (I've bought 3 so far and each one last about 3 months).

rated 3 of 5 on 10/22/2010 7:19:00 PM More reviews by MsBbygirl04

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this product with hopes that this may be the answer to my acne. I have combination acne prone skin and I felt salicylic acid seem too gentle on my skin, so I went ahead and bought it because of the 10% benzoyl peroxide. I like the fresh feeling after I wash my face. The product seems to work, I have been using it a little over a week, the downfall to this is that although it got rid of my stubborn acne, it left nasty acne marks :( . I am not too pleased with *that* result, but it did get the job done, which was clear my acne, so now I am going to try to find something for my post acne marks. I would recommend this to people. This is a good acne cleanser minus the acne marks. Another downfall to this product is it wasn't filled up.. I felt the product to see how much it had and I could only feel it half way, so I was bummed I was getting somewhat ripped off.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2010 11:27:00 PM More reviews by bitterrose1025

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this cleanser. Leaves my oily acne prone skin feeling clean and soft. I still have a few small pimples but I don't use this product religiously. It doesn't dry out my skin but I have really oily skin. I would also say to be careful with what towel you use to dry your face after using this cleanser since the benzoyl peroxide can cause discoloration. Also you can't beat the price.

Edit: I heard that BP could lead to premature aging. I googled it and it turns it can if you over use it. Thankfully I don't use this cleanser all the time. Only when my skin is really bad.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/29/2010 8:45:00 AM More reviews by drfinestgrl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My skin is very acne-prone, and sensitive. I was surprised when my dermatologist recommended this cleanser from Clean & Clear to me. He was so right! This cleanser has really calmed down my acne, and I hardly get pimples now. I use this cleanser at night, only because I find that if I use it 2 times a day it can make my skin a bit dry and sensitive, so once a day is fine with me.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2010 6:06:00 PM More reviews by mrsbutlertron

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've been using this product for a few years now, and I have to say that it has pretty much eliminated my acne. I have combination skin that is prone to minor breakouts. Before using this product, while I was in my late teens I was dismayed that I may never "grow out" of getting breakouts. They were never extreme, but I always seemed to have something on my face. After using this for a month or so, I started seeing a dramatic improvement. My skin isn't really sensitive, but in the beginning it did burn a little bit, however my skin soon adapted and now there are no problems. I use it once a day and usually follow with clinique's acne moisturizer, which also has benzoyl peroxide in it. I know that it is mostly the work of the cleanser that prevents breakouts because in summer and winter I don't use that moisturizer that often with very few ill effects, but if I don't wash with this cleanser I usually break out. I am a little worried about using so much benzoyl peroxide, as I've heard it has aging effects, but I haven't found anything to replace it.