L'Oreal Voluminous in Carbon Black

3.5

I bought this product looking for something that really volumizes my lashes. I think for the most part, it does what I was looking for. But there are a few things I don't like about it. For one, the formula is really wet and I end up having to wipe a lot of it off the brush before I apply it because it clumps really easily on my lashes. I like the brush, but I don't like how much of the formula sticks to it. Secondly, I use makeup remover to take it off and it never gets fully removed. I have to rub my eyes with soap to get it completely off my eyes. Finally, it was pretty cheap. I was surprised at the price, actually. However, I do like that it is very black, it lengthens my lashes, and it does volumize fairly well. Personally would not buy it again, but it was worth the money I paid for it.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This is simply a makeup staple. If you want thick, dark lashes this is what you grab. Not only is it cheap, easy to find, and has a great rich black color, it is one of the best mascara formulas there is. I don't see how you could go wrong with this.

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I've really tried to like this mascara, but I actually think I will throw it away. I bought it a couple weeks ago because of the good reviews I've read about it - and because I like big, voluminous lashes. ;) The consistency is really wet, and I feel like it NEVER dries on my lashes. The brush is ok to work with, I didn't have a problem with clumps and it was easy to apply. The color is also quite black, so I'm happy with that.

BUT.... It smudges!! Like crazy! After only 1 hour, I'm black both under my eyes and OVER my eyes. My lashes are quite long, so the mascara transfers to my lid and I also see black tiny dots underneath my eyebrows aswell. And after a couple of hours, I look like a panda. I don't even know why I continue to use it - it may be because of the volumizing effect, it really makes my lashes look good. I may use it up, but I will never buy it again. And do not cry when you wear this... It stings like crazy in your eyes. It REAAAALLY stings. Auch.

I really liked this mascara because i found that i only really needed one coat to make my eyelashes look nice, but when i wanted a more dramatic look i could easily layer another coat on top without it becoming gross and clumpy.

this is my HG mascara. i have yet to find a better drugstore mascara. this makes my lashes longer and darker. i have to stress the importance of buying the WATERPROOF one, the regular one does not have the same effect! I dont know why, but the non-waterproof one just doesnt work, the WATERPROOF carbon black is awesome though, i highly recommend! p.s. i read kim kardashian's makeup artist uses this for her long lashes

I like this mascara because it gives my lashes good volume and is a very pigmented black. I don't like the clumping and smudging after an hour or two. It doesn't lengthen or separate lashes well. I have short straight forward down lashes btw.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Holy grail product for me. It really does volumize my lashes. The only negative I could say about this product is I wish the brush was a bit smaller. I find it clumps sometimes if I'm not careful. I like to layer my mascara and when I do with this my eye lashes are thick and long and I honestly get asked all the time if my lashes are fake lol. LOVE IT!!! Lately I have been usine L'oreal Telescopic Mascara to help seperate the lashes and then I go over it with Voluminous and that is the ultimate combo!

This product is 2.5/5 for me. It volumized my lashes and somewhat lengthened them but it smudges really badly. I don't know why it does in comparison to the regular loreal voluminous. It also didn't hold my curl well.

This product just wasn't what I expected. I have normal length, but thin lashes that are very stick straight. I curl them with my curling wand before any application of mascara and if it's a good mascara it usually holds my curl, but with this mascara (although I bought it waterproof) it just didn't hold a curl at all. In fact, this mascara made my lashes look really wet and it weighed them down a lot. I'm sure it would work well with thicker longer lashes though, but unfortunately this product is NOT for me!

I only bought this mascara because it was on sale and I wanted to experiment with mascaras. I bought it for around $4.50, but usually it's $8 which is standard for a drug store brand I believe.

The formula is pretty wet--I'm assuming that it works well for people with naturally long and curly lashes. But for mine (which are sparse and grow straight downwards), it didn't do much at all. I spent around 5-7 minutes laboring to get the mascara to possibly hold a curl, but after a minute or two my lashes would just come back down again, even after several coats. After a while they just started to look like spider lashes, so I gave up. The mascara doesn't do much on its own, but if I layer it over a drier formula, it does make my lashes look a bit thicker. However, it doesn't make THAT much of a difference.

As for the packaging...pretty simple and standard. Not pretty. I'm not complaining though, I really don't need a pretty package for something that's supposed to do another job.

Popular Mascaras