September 17, 2014 | 1964 users online

Eye Makeup Remover - Almay - Oil-free eye makeup remover liquid

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 on 12/3/2008 2:20:00 PM More reviews by whill08

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

After running out of my cheapy Rimmel remover I bought this Almay garbage...big waste of money. I don't usually buy Almay products, but the ones I have bought have been decent, except this crap. First I had a hard time getting the safety seal off, not a big deal but I spilled half the bottle in my attempt. This remover does not smell good, sort of like alcohol or windex (not something I want around my eyes). If it worked I could deal with the smell, but it does nothing for me but smear makeup under my eye. Even with very light makeup it does not do anything but make a mess. Save your money.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/29/2008 6:04:00 PM More reviews by flcndvsx

Non-Oily? I don't think so. It's really messy and clumps my eyelashes together; I have to split them up with a comb. I've tried it multiple times, but I always have to go over it with a liquid makeup remover to remove the gel remover. That's a real waste. The bottle that mine came in actually says that it was voted number 1 makeup remover. I wonder who they asked to vote? On the back it says it works for Almay mascaras and makeups. I tried it with other Almay products and still got the same results. It's terrible.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/15/2008 11:29:00 PM More reviews by ygvo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

this is not that great at removing eye makeup, especially waterproof. Not worth the money and like another reviewer said, it's barely better than just using water.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/8/2008 11:00:00 PM More reviews by aisutei

I just started to wear makeup this year, so I didn't have much experience with it. I went to the drugstore and grabbed this one off the shelf.

This product does not remove eye makeup very well. It also stung my eyes really badly. The eye makeup does eventually come off with 5 wipes or so. But when I used it on my waterproof eye liner and mascara, it did absolutely nothing! I couldn't get the makeup off at all. I would not buy this product again.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/5/2008 2:20:00 PM More reviews by gdriban

This stuff doesn't remove anything and I think it stings my eyes. I don't even wear eye makeup, only concealer, so that's all I need to remove and I have to wipe and wipe repeatedly. I would think this would be horrible if you wore shadow, liner and mascara-it wouldn't remove it! Back to Neutrogena oil-free-works great!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2008 10:22:00 AM More reviews by belle_30x

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Really liked this stuff. I tried the moisturizing one, and had greasy eyes all day. Horrible!

But this stuff is just right. Not drying, not greasy, and works and soothes as well.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/30/2008 3:33:00 PM More reviews by stephmerchant

This product is very gentle, it didn't bother my contacts at all. It also didn't remove anything, it really didn't work any better than water.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2008 3:32:00 PM More reviews by zomgblah

I bought this because I had a coupon and I was in desperate need of an eye makeup remover. It didn't sting my eyes at all even with my contacts on. However, it didn't remove all my waterproof mascara and kind of smeared black streaks around my eyes. I don't think I'll be buying this again.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2008 10:48:00 AM More reviews by ekym

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Like another reviewer said, I should have read the reviews here first! This was just a lousy product. I thought the oil-free formula would be great from my breakout-prone skin, but after about two weeks of using this, pink, irritated cystic bumps formed on my lower lids! They were horribly painful, but never came to a head (I was able to carefully treat them with Mario Badescu Drying Lotion). Thankfully they weren’t too puffy so I could conceal them. Since I hadn’t added anything new to my skincare and makeup routine except this, I know this is to blame. If this eye makeup remover was even decent at removing eye makeup, then I couldn’t consider it a total bust of a product. But it was awful; it didn’t remove mascara at all! Even regular (non-waterproof) formulas were hard to remove and after a lot of rubbing (which is bad for contact lens wearers like me) is only smeared the mascara around. A very disappointing product with no positive attributes. I won’t buy this again, instead I’ll stick with DHC Deep Cleansing Oil (separate review).

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2008 2:14:00 AM More reviews by glorylight4ever

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I wish I had read the reviews for this product here before I bought this on the fly. I honestly wanted to like this, considering that my eyes are very, very sensitive, and that Almay markets its products as gentle, and ideal for people with extremely sensitive skin. Well, score one for the marketers at Almay because I sure was duped into buying this product. All this did was burn my eyelids and leave tons of makeup behind.

REMOVING ABILITY: (1/5)

This really does not get the makeup off my eyes. I used this in a number of ways over the past week or so, and I have found that it is just plain ineffective. I tried it on just plain, powder eye shadow without any sort of base underneath, and I had to keep going over it again and again with at least 3 cotton balls to get the shadow off. And even then, it left a weird tint on my lid. I tried it with non-waterproof eyeliner and mascara, and it was beyond hopeless. I felt like I was scraping my eyelids off. So then I thought maybe if its useless on the whole lid, I could try and use it to fix minor errors when I’m doing my eyes. So I dipped a cotton bud into it and tried to fix the edges of my shadow, and, well, it did almost nothing, and actually made the shadow fade really weirdly on the edges. Finally, I tried it as a secondary remover for my cold cream. I used cold cream (something that I know doesn’t really irritate my skin) to remove most of my makeup and then tried to use this to remove the rest of the cold cream. It sort of worked, but there were still more traces of mascara on my lids than I am used to seeing after using makeup remover wipes in a similar fashion.

GENTLENESS: (1/5)

Given Almay’s reputation for catering to people with sensitive skin, and given the ineffective nature of this product, you would think that it would feel harmless. WRONG. The package boasts that this remover is “infused with a botanical blend of aloe, cucumber and green tea to condition, hydrate and soothe skin,” and has a nice picture of some aloe and cucumber slices on the label. What a joke. If you look at the ingredients, you’ll notice that they’re pretty much last on the list. But I don’t buy eye makeup remover for the aloe, though I do expect it to not burn my eyelids. This product burned my eyes so badly. My skin was irritated and raw, and it hurt to the touch. After using this for just two nights, my eyelids were dry like sandpaper and it hurt to smile and blink. I found that the product also leaves a weird, sticky film or residue behind on the skin that you have to rinse off. Also, if even the slightest bit got into my eyes, it stung horribly.

PACKAGING: (3/5)

Nothing unusual here. The bottle is a fairly sturdy cylinder with a screw top lid. I wish that the opening wasn’t so wide, to minimize the over dispensation of product. But overall, it could be worse.

COST: (1 = dirt cheap, 5 = expensive) 1.5/5

This really is not very expensive. One bottle containing 4 Fl Oz (18 mL) runs about 5 USD.

MISCELLANEOUS:

It has a sharp, slightly sour smell, kind of like alcohol. I think that is because Almay hasn't added any external fragrances, so you actually smell the remover itself.

VERDICT: (1/5)

This is a sub par product with a great advertising campaign. It doesn't remove makeup, and it burned my eyes and skin in the bargain. I am going to return this product, and I will never buy it again.

INGREDIENTS:
Water (Aqua), Poloxamer 184, Butylene Glycol, Disodium Lauroamphodiacetate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Hexylene Glycol, Cucumis Sativus Fruit Extract (Cucumber), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Citric Acid, Benzyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol

Thanks for reading my review! I hope it was helpful to you. continued >>