GOSH Velvet Touch Eyeliner

4.5

on 4/20/2010 12:02:00 PM

I own these in a few colors. My favorite eyeliners so far. They are creamy soft, apply effortlessly to either lids or the waterline, come in a wide range of colors - I only wish they had a dark eggplant shimmery purple. They are waterproof too. Can smudge if applied with a heavy hand. Remind me of Rimmel's waterproof exaggerate liners, only better.
A bit on a pricier side but worth it.
Recommended.

on 4/13/2010 6:38:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

Will I buy it again? YES YES YES, AND YES! Now you know how much i love this product. Ever since I have tried Gosh, I have given away all my MAC and other brand eye liners. I am slowly collecting all Gosh colors. It goes on like water smooth on either my waterlines or lashlines, and it NEVER NEVER EVER smudges. (i have slightly oily lids) I have worn it swimming, working out, in summer days with 40 degress tempure in south China, where it is extremely humid, nothing happens to the makeup. It absolutely stays on ALL DAY! i will die if Gosh eyeliner goes away.

on 4/3/2010 11:21:00 AM

It's really strange. I have three of these. Black, blue and purple. The black is really good, applies smooth, stays pretty long, nice colour. The blue doesn't seem to attach to my eyes, en really have to go over and over again, low pigmentation. The purple is ok is eyeliner on the lid, but on the waterline it doens't do the trick, it only leaves colour on the roots of my lashes.

I wonder if the other colours work.

on 3/23/2010 1:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I've been trying this eyeliner in 2 shades, Golden Moss first, then I ran out to buy Metallic Brass because it works SO WELL! I compared the GOSH velvet touch against the Prestige Total Intensity eyeliner pencil in Daring Green and Annabelle Smooth Liner in Brownie.

I was looking for a pencil eyeliner that lasted better than Cover Girl outlast (which disappears in an hour or two on me or Revlon, ditto) I have VERY sensitive eyes and lids, a bit of rosacea, allergies, and a sensitivity to mica.

My lids can be oily, so most mascara and eyeliner ends up smudged all over my brow bone (hooded lids) or in racoon/panda circles under my eyes where my natural dark shadows and hollow circles DON'T require ANY assistance from migrating eye makeup to look awful!

My test trial is over, I gave the Annabelle and Prestige liners good marks, but the Velvet Touch liner by GOSH has a definite edge. Here's how I saw them in comparison.

I applied ALL the liners tested on my upper lash line on top of my Revlon Color Stay Foundation. I used a tight-lining technique, coming up under my lashes on the upper waterline, then wiggling in between lashes finishing with a thin series of dots above, blending with a Qtip to a fine upper line.

NONE of the liners were set with powder, as I wanted to see how they'd last on their own. It's nice to just use a liner alone with foundation as a basic classic neutral eye look and I wanted to test each pencil under tougher conditions.

Does it tug or pull or skip?:

GOSH Velvet Touch liners, both shades, go on smoothly and easily with a creamy soft feel that doesn't pull, tug or skip. The Prestige total intensity and Annabelle smoothliner were almost as creamy and didn't skip but the Prestige was a touch drier on my lids and seemed a little harder to lay down.

Blending, smudging BEFORE setting up? How long do they last?:

The GOSH liners both have a VERY short time to blend or smudge before they set up to a smudge proof finish that lasts ALL day and takes a bit of doing to remove (more on that below). The Annabelle stayed soft, never fully set and migrated in a few hours below my eyes and smudged a bit on my brow. The Prestige liner was closer to the GOSH liner in having a short time to play with before setting up but it didn't last as well. It was easier to remove than the GOSH liner.

Does it irritate the eye or lid or rims?:

None of them irritated my eyes. This was amazing because I expected the GOSH one to react on me because it has fine metallic looking shimmery bits. It didn't, because it doesn't use mica for that effect. The Prestige and the Annabelle were both smooth creamy non sparkly or shimmery. I applied all of them onto my upper waterline, coming in under my upper lashes as part of my tight-lining technique.

All 3 require sharpening, which leaves a fresh clean surface which I like. I did notice that the Prestige and GOSH have to be capped to stay creamy and easy to apply but if the surface dries, just use a tissue to wipe the drier surface off to expose the creamy liner. The Annabelle stays pretty creamy.

All 3 go blunt easily, but are easily fixed by sharpening (chill in the fridge before sharpening if it really bugs you) OR by using a tissue to roll the soft liner to a better point.

I prefer the GOSH for sheer staying power, and for all the other reasons above. The Prestige came in slightly better than the Annabelle, keeping up to GOSH in all but staying power. The Annabelle was too creamy and migrated easily but otherwise was a pretty strong contender.

I gave the Prestige and Annabelle away, and kept the GOSH liner, and will be buying more in that line. My next will be the plain brown one.

By the way the Golden Moss colour is a superb warm golden green with flecks of gold that would look great on anyone with green, hazel, brown or blue eyes (mine are predominately green with some gold and golden brown flecks and a grayish aqua green rim). Anyone with warm tones to their skin should find it flattering as well.

The Metallic Brass is an amazing bronzey brown colour with brassy shimmers. Not like disco ball shimmer, but just a nearly imperceptible glow. Makes my eyes look greener.

AS FOR REMOVAL: I use Neutrogena wipes (the blue pack) which takes out most makeup. Leave the wipe pressed against eyelids for a few minutes before wiping. These liners will need a Qtip dipped in makeup remover or an Almay pad to take the rest off. Leave the Almay pad pressed on the eye for at least a minute to break it down further. If you do the Qtip removal, wipe it onto the lid or upper side of lashes and wipe slowly to remove the remaining traces of liner. I don't think my aging lids need any scrubbing action to remove eye makeup, so that is why I do a soak then swipe action.

Hope this helps

UPDATED: Ok so I bought a second of Metallic Brass, AND Hypnotic Grey. That Brass shade is a TERRIFIC bronzey neutral, much nicer than plain brown liner, and it doesn't give that red rabbity look that happens with a lot of brown liners.

The Grey is my FAVOURITE of all! Like all these liners it has a non mica shimmery look that lights up the eye area in a subtle way that doesn't call attention to itself, just makes the eye line look defined and lovely. It is a dark charcoal grey, definitely lighter than black, without that heavy Kohl look. Subtle, but comes across as natural dark lash line.

I've been using these for months now, on my waterline (upper lid only) in a tightlining technique coming up from below the upper lashes first then dotting and dashing in tight to the lashes on top and smudging. These are the best eyeliners I've ever used. Never smudging or migrating into panda eyes, always hanging in there for 12 or more hours.

They are difficult to remove, but they don't seem to irritate the eye area so even if a bit gets left, it doesn't seem to harm that fragile eyelid area or the eye i

on 3/22/2010 6:25:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'd heard a lot of good things about GOSH, and this liner didn't disappoint. It goes on really smoothly; even my sensitive eyes barely sting or water, which they did like crazy for other liners I've tried. I have it in 'ink' and it's really versatile - used lightly, it can be really subtle, but you can easily layer it for a dramatic look. It was a little more expensive than others I've bought, but it's definitely worth it. I don't have smudging problems and it's pleasant to apply ... the only problem I can think of is the little black dots left at the inner corner of my eyes when it wears off, but I've had that with every pencil liner I've tried and it's no big deal to just wipe away.

OVERALL:
Application = very good, smooth + even + painless
Price = reasonable ($13 where I bought it)
Look = excellent
Staying Power = good (lasts me through most of the school day; I can always make it until at least lunch hour without having to reapply)

I would definitely recommend this product to people with sensitive eyes, or just anyone who wants a good-quality eyeliner.

on 3/6/2010 11:08:00 AM

Meh

This eyeliner does have good staying power

However, the black ink shade just looks so weird on me
but then again, black liners always look weird on me
Maybe i'll try the brown one.

edit: I also have this in Purple Stain (from my sister when she didn't want it) its nice, but i'd never wear it, maybe for halloween, i don't know.

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

I bought this one in woody green shade and I'm certainly more than happy with it. The shade itself is amazing, it is fairly easy to apply and has a beautiful, creamy structure. It's extremely long lasting and really waterproof. The only down side is that it's a little bit harder to remove. However, I give this product 5 star rating and would recommend it to everyone.

on 2/12/2010 8:28:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I really like the Velvet Touch eyeliners because they are nicely pigmented and so smooth to apply. However, they don't last as well as I would like on my lower lashline or waterline. I would highly recommend the Annabelle Smoothliners for a very similar pencil that IME lasts a little better on the lower lashline. GOSH has a much better colour selection though, so it still gets 5 lippies.

on 2/3/2010 4:39:00 PM

I always go back to this eyeliner.
I've tried so incredibly many eyeliners, cheap and expensive. But now, I need to be honest with myself for once.. I don't need them, I need this!

Today, I just couldn't find my eyeliner so I went totally crazy looking for some kind of replacement. I looked into old make-up bags and found a veery tiny leftover of this!! I cannot believe that I forgot this masterpiece.
But now, were together again <3

I've actually been using this on and off for almost six years now... (wow didn't even realize that until now)
It was my very first eyeliner and I'm so happy for that.
This goes on super smooth, looks really nice and the lasting power is pretty much perfect.
I'm also lovin' the texture

The price is really good too, and the quality is actually very similar to "the best and expensive ones".

I highly recommend this eyeliner.
It is really good, I should know, 6 years of using!!!!
do not waste your money on MAC or other expensive ones, because this really is similar and might actually be better.

Basicly:
A very good product for it's price.

I will continue to repurchase forever and ever! Hah

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I'm been looking for a lavender eyeliner forever, and finally found the perfect one when I went to look at GOSH in shoppers. Its called Blueberry ice and its the colour of MAC's beautiful iris e/s. Its perfect for defining the lower lashline when using purple e/s. I like how it just glides on. Since I use this as a base, I don't really mind that I can't sharpen it to a point. Theres a 25% sale at Shoppers right now, go get some! Total was $11.

Top Rated GOSH Products