October 25, 2014 | 1061 users online

Lipstick - New York Color - 309B Sheer Red

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2009 9:40:00 PM More reviews by kinkaju

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

In the tube it looks like a darker brick type red -- a color I wouldn't normally choose as orange based colors make me look flushed and ruddy. Also, owning the very pigment rich and very opaque Retro Red, also by N.Y.C., I was skeptical that this one could be anything but the same in intensity. But for 99 cents Sheer Red was worth a try and many people here gave it great reviews.

I am impressed. The color is a very muted cool toned red but there also isn't any hint of fuschia or pinkor berry in this red. There's something very unique about this shade. It's definitely a muted red, and even when I applied it full strength and built up the color it was not obnoxious or clownish. I think this is a very grown up and classy red. I think this lipstick could look great on any skin tone from light to dark and everything in between. It has a buttery shine to it, similar to a lip balm, and not dry or chalky at all. It has a very slight berryish smell that fades fast enough so it's not an issue for me. Also it wears comfortable and doesnt make my lips flake, tingle or feel dry or peel. The packaging isn't the greatest. I hate nicking the lipstick with the cap. Not a deal breaker though.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2009 3:54:00 PM More reviews by asaksa

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

I have asian tan skin and this color is lovely and so cheap. It is a red berry but not tacky. More uptown. My lips are moisturized and the creamy texture glides on easy. But this is a true red that is sheer. Even with multiple coats. I am not a red lipstick fan but just go out with this one early summer dinner with light makeup and see what happens.

Do try different lip liners underneath if you want it to be more opaque. It does not have lasting power but it is a great lipstick color at a great price. Who would think?

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2009 12:39:00 AM More reviews by Meriel65

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I decided to try this lipstick on the critique by Paula Begoun as a good inexpensive lipstick. There is a fairly limited selection of colors for this formulation, and I do not like the high shimmer of some of the shades. That look is a little too "young" for me. I had wanted to try a red lipstick for a while--a true red with a blue undertone, rather than tending towards warmer orange red. The color looked like what I was looking for in the tube. I have light olive skin, a MAC NW15, and look best in cool, jewel toned colors. This lipstick did not appear as a true red on my lips, but tended towards a deeper but sheer berry color. I think it is very beautiful and I am pleased--I bought this at Ulta with a 20% off coupon, so I think I paid $.72. It is a steal. The packaging isn't luxurious, but I would rather have a decent product in economical packaging, than pay for some huge container that is just thrown away. This is not a long-lasting lipstick, but it wears as well as many other lipsticks I've tried in the $7-$10 dollar range (or my one luxury item: a lipstick by Shiseido that I bought for $25 to celebrate graduating from school recently). If you love to play with makeup, and are on a budget, I would recommend this lipstick. It is slightly glossy, though not slick or unpleasant feeling. I think with a clear or similarly colored lip pencil, you could increase the durability of wear of this lipstick. It does leave a slight stain on my lips, so I don't have to touch up as frequently as I do with a true gloss. Very sheer, pretty and I am quite satisfied. I leave off one "lipstick" in the rating because of the slight berry fragrance. It is not unpleasant. I just don't like to wear anything scented.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/24/2009 8:48:00 PM More reviews by starablaze

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Beautiful pinkish-red color! Or layer it up for a darker red.
It's a little drying and only lasted a couple hours but for 99 cents...amazing!
I want them all! :P

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2009 3:40:00 PM More reviews by cavalletta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

LOVE this!!! Firstly, the color is perfect for me. I am a gal who is fairish and yet has yellowish slightly oliveish tones and can not ever wear a red lippie. So this is my new fave for a night out or even during the day whenever i wouldve wanted to wear red. Since this is sheer, you get a little pink showthrough from your natural lip color, which makes it look like a verging on pink kind of red. It is very flattering and for a red very ...umm innocent and sweet. I can not think of any skin or hair colors this wouldnt compliment well. The formula itself is superior to many more expensive brands. It is not sticky, does not run, and stayed on a few hours (though it did fade, it was still looking good) through 2 coffees! The only problem i have is that the lippie, when new, doesnt go down very far in the tube so you must be mindful when placing cap on not to nic it. Small price to pay!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2009 5:21:00 PM More reviews by marthaquest

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

It's hard to be critical of a $1 l/s in a pretty color but I found the cheap packaging a pain (you can knick the whole thing easily while putting the cap on) and while the color is a dupe of BB's Ruby Lip Sheer on me the consistency is thinner, so it doesn't last long on my lips. It's a gorgeous color though; a clear, slightly warm red which contrasts well with my blue eyes in a pleasing way.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2009 8:29:00 PM More reviews by BlackCat13

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This really is a fabulous red lipstick at any prices, but especially at less than $2. It's slightly sheer, has a creamy moisturizing texture (nice for my dry-ish lips) yet doesn't run into lines, and is pretty long-lasting for its texture..

The red comes across on me as a true retro red. (Ironically, I was not a big fan of the Retro Red in the same line--too bright and orangy on my fair skin and light lips.)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2009 8:23:00 PM More reviews by kmeverson

I absolutely love this red lippie. The color goes on smoothly and feels great on. This has great staying power - especially when applied over a pencil. I always use a nude pencil with my reds to give more staying power but it doesn't detract from the color. This is a beautiful retro red color. I don't have a huge bleeding problem with this lippie, either. For 98 cents - how can you beat it!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2009 6:16:00 PM More reviews by sunnyfuusunflower

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've been looking for a good red lipstick for a long time, and I finally found it. This lipstick goes on smooth and makes my lips feel soft while wearing it. The color is perfect. It's a very "hollywood" red. Think Scarlett Johansson red. It's dirt cheap too.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2009 12:20:00 AM More reviews by kahou79

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

If you are looking for a great red lippie that isn't too intimidating that this is what you need to pick up. And what is really hard to believe is the price!! Not even a dollar! I will admit that I don't wear red lipstick very often but when I do this is the one I wear. I usually wear gloss but this product isn't very drying and has a great velvety feel. I've worn it all day without licking my lips once for it's not super shiny but still comfortable to wear. I love this and highly recommend it to anyone!!!