Milk of Magnesia as Primer

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Dry, Tan, Cool

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium

Hello friends! So, after reading all the great reviews I decided to give Milk of Magnesium a try. I bought a 12 oz bottle of Phillips MOM for $3.97 at Walmart. For starters, I have the most oily skin imaginable. Literally 15 minutes after washing my face I can see the oil starting to build in my large pores again. The first day I tried this product, I followed my usual skin care routine... 1. Washed my face with an oil controlling cleanser (ex. Neutrogena 8 hr shine control, Clinique wash-away gel cleanser, etc.)... 2. Applied an oil controlling astringent/toner (ex. Neutrogena Clear Pore Astrigent, Lancome Pure Focus Mattifying Toner, etc.). But before applying a moisturizer or primer I applied MOM.
How you apply it is really a matter of personal preference. I decided to apply it with a cotton ball like I do my toner. One thing to keep in mind with MOM is that a little goes a long way. I usually just apply it to my t-zone, avoiding the eye area because this product is very drying. When it dries, you will almost always see a few white streaks where the product wasn't blended in well enough or you used too much. To get rid of the white streaks you can either apply a little more toner to blend it in or move on to applying your moisturizer or primer. I've found that just applying either of those over the white streak blends it in perfectly.
Anyway, on to the performance of MOM. This is the first product that has EVER significantly controlled my oil production for more than a few hours. When I put on my foundation and powder I looked flawless!!! I was amazed that such a cheap product used for indigestion could be my holy grail. I'm so grateful that MUA introduced this to me. For reference, I use Revlon Colorstay for combo/oily skin. MOM and this foundation work amazingly well together. So please, any oily skin sufferers who have been searching for something that controls for more than 6 hrs, give this a try! This bottle will last you forever and you won't regret it. And for anyone with sensitive skin: this product has no smell and will not break you out. It has a very thin consistency and has not clogged my pores at all. Good luck guys... Oh and sorry for this looong review lol :)

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I use milk of magnesia as a primer, in conjunction with the CG Clean Oil control foundation. Ive only used it for one day, but I am 100% converted. The product wasn't meant for the way I am using it, so I can't complain about the packaging. The bottle that I bought came with a cup, so I just pour a little in the cup and swipe it on my face with a cotton ball. The rest pours easily back into the bottle too! I love this. I am thrilled that something FINALLY controls my oil!!! I have tried everything from masks to astringents to toners, and nothing put so much of a dent in the end. The price is right, and my foundation glides on smooth as can be. LOVE IT!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This works great if you use it correctly. It takes a few trys to get the perfect amount & way to apply it. I prefer to put this on first then primer then foundation & that seems to last me all day at school (8hrs) I've tried this without primer & it dried out my face like crazy & I've tried it on top of foundation & that doesn't work well for me at all. You just need to test it out & this product works wonder =). they should develop a makeup addition with a dropper

I had such high hopes for this. My skin is crazy oily. However it didn't seem to help. I am going to try it again a few more times just to be sure but so far I'm soooo disappointed.

Fyi to the reviewer below: Toilet paper is better than nothing but it doesn't soak up oil nearly as well as (good) blotting sheets do. I've tested this by using blot sheets after toilet paper; there was still a lot of oil left over.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Now that I have been using this as a primer, I no longer worry about checking my makeup throughout the day. It has given me the confidence of knowing that my makeup is fabulous from start to finish of my day!!! I am telling you that is a great feeling and such a sense of relief!!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have been trying this in several different ways...in the summer I used it all over, dabbed on with a cotton ball. Worked great. Fall came, it began to look a bit streaky/white (temperatures were getting lower, so maybe I didn't have enough oil to keep it transparent!).

I now only use this for special events or as an overnight mask once a week or less. If you get a breakout anywhere on your body, this is also good to use rather than benzoyl peroxide, say, on your chest because it won't bleach your clothing. I use it probably once a month right now in the winter time.

I have read all of the warning reviews about MoM on MA and I would suggest you do too if you are new to this product! The high basic quality of it is a bit intimidating, and the post about Mg(HO)2 building up in your skin over time was a bit freaky.

I haven't looked in to all the claims about this product yet, but I agree that it works to control oil. I just don't want there to be any weird health risks that bite us in the bum later.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

I've been using this for my oily skin, I put it on under my makeup & it's worked wonders for me!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

i heard such good things about this product but it didnt work for me didnt reduce my oil nor did it make my makeup long lasting if anything it made it last more less than it would without the milk of magnesia plus it made my makeup all ehhh no .

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Other, Kinky, Coarse

Miracle in a bottle. I have SUPER SUPER OILY SKIN. Mainly my t-zone. Nothing had worked to combat the oil and keep makeup in place. I have been embarrassed on so many occasions after catching a glimpse of myself in the mirror and seeing I am a big grease ball and my makeup has melted off.

I happen to come across reviews of MoM right here on makeup alley and l literally hoped in my car at 10:30 at night and went to Walgreens to pick up a bottle of Phillips. Yes, I was THAT desperate. That evening made a MoM mask. The next day I began using it as a primer. It has been about five days and my makeup has stayed put and my face does not get oily. This stuff works miracles!!! I attended an outside rehearsal dinner and an outdoor wedding this weekend in TEXAS and my makeup was flawless when I came back to the hotel room!!!!!!

If you have oily skin, go get you some MoM. Great as a oil controlling mask and/or a makeup primer. I would not recommend MoM for those who do not have oily skin. I think it would be quite drying. MoM dries up the oil. It even dried up some acne I had developed over the last month better than benzoyl peroxide of salicylic acid.

MoM is my HG primer :-)

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

It's my turn to give my review! When I say my skin is SUPER OILY!! that is an understatement seriously. I have tried to use this product several times (with a brush, cotton ball, fingers etc...) and still the oil manages to come through.

I personally don't think it's safe to use long term after reading about the Ph balance level etc.... Anyway mixing my 2 current foundation (Maybelline Superstay and Revlon Colorstay) and buffing it in really good and following up with Revlon MIneral finishing powder I am noticing my skin isn't as oily and I don't have to blot as much through out the day.

Speaking of blotting, why are people investing in blotting paper? I simply use a kleenex and lightly blot, does the same thing.

Popular Primer/ Correctors