Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

3.5

on 10/27/2014 8:15:00 PM

There are very few products that I stick with for the long haul. I discovered Cetaphil five years ago when my dermatologist recommended after a particularly bad bout of adult acne. This will take off even the most stubborn long-wear foundation when I use the tissue-off method. At night, I dispense two pumps and REALLY work it into my skin. Then, I take 1-2 tissues to wipe off all the makeup. Then, I go back with one pump and use the rinse-off method. In the morning, I use one pump in the shower and rinse off using the spray.

I am in cosmetology school, and our school uses Dermalogica products (which cost an arm and a leg.) I've been using Dermalogica since I've been in school and my skin has never been worse. I went back to my tried and true Cetaphil, and all my blackheads, pustular acne, and hormonal acne has completely disappeared! I will never stray from Cetaphil ever again!

Keep in mind that Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser is NOT a foaming cleanser. They have a bar "soap" that foams up if you like the bubbles, but I love the fact that this product only has 8 ingredients. The bar works just as well and is what I use to cleanse my body in the shower.

PROs:
- Gentle on skin
- Takes off long-wearing foundations
- Removes waterproof mascara
- Multiple ways to use this cleanser
- Cost effective
- Offered almost anywhere (Big-box chains, pharmacies, grocery stores, etc.)

CONs:
- Texture is off-putting (It looks like a specific male bodily fluid, if you catch my drift.)
- Does not work like a traditional cleanser

on 10/26/2014 8:45:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This product is something I would only recommend if your skin was extremely sensitive. It didn't do much for my skin. The texture and scent just reminded me of a hand soap and not a cleanser. It was difficult to bubble and I was just not impressed with the product overall. However, if you just want a light and sensitive cleanser for everyday, then I definitely do recommend this product.

on 10/21/2014 5:19:00 PM

I have combination skin with rosacea and this is the best cleanser for my skin. It truly is the HG of cleansers for me and I have tried almost every product out there. Although it feels light it is great at removing makeup, dirt and oil from your skin without drying it. I love the pump and it lasts a long time.

on 10/19/2014 5:16:00 PM

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this product. Hasn't broke me out, or made my acne worse. It helps very much and it is so gentle! I use it every night and some mornings, and it really helps clean my face without over- drying. My face is VERY Acne prone, and breaks out to nearly anything. This however, does not make me break out. :)

on 10/18/2014 4:51:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

I heard good things about this for years and finally decided to give it a try. I was not impressed. I had to wash my face two to three times to get all my make up off with this. I really prefer the philosophy purity made simple cleanser.

My dermatologist recommended this cleanser and I'm glad I followed the advice. I have dry, sensitive skin (swelling can occur) and I'm acne-prone but this cleanser has done nothing to irritate my skin. It has stopped most pimples (I'm down to occasionally having a breakout of around 3) and I no longer have scars lasting 3-5 months (1 month top). Really recommend this to people with sensitive and acne-prone skin.

on 10/15/2014 11:14:00 PM

I really do not like this stuff. I doesn't feel like it does anything for my skin! It barely even cleans it. This product is just an absolute NO.

I have dry to normal, very sensitive skin. This stuff cleanses without leaving me feeling tight or itchy. I feel my skin is glowy-er, and notice it feels softer. I very rarely get any acne now, and attribute it all to my healthy lifestyle and use of Cetaphil products.

I have eczema, and this is also the only thing I can use on my body when I get a flare up.

That aside, a few words of advice:
1. Don't expect suds or fragrance. Not only are those irritating, but this is a serious no-frills product. Don't hold your breath waiting for fireworks or anything, it's a cleanser, and nothing more.
2. It does NOT remove makeup. But your cleanser isn't MEANT to remove makeup. That's what makeup remover is for!

on 10/10/2014 1:20:00 AM

This and purity by philosophy are the only 2 facewashes i can use that dont break me out after using. This is super gentle and doesnt foam up but i dont mind that. I have combination skin and this cleanses my skin no more no less.

on 10/8/2014 11:12:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Cetaphil is a product of very clever marketing. I mean, a basic cleanser that has SLS and all possible parabens AND propylene glycol to boot, gets such rave reviews and advertising - dermatologist recommended etc!

I used the trial version of this cleanser (which was also very expensive btw). First few washes, the skin felt very good - tight and clean. However, after a few days, I noticed some blemishes and general dulling of the skin. It did not glow like before and there were several small bumps on my face around the eyes and mouth. Evidently, I am allergic to some ingredient in this cleanser and I am not surprised - given that it has so many bad ingredients!

It is an awful and super-pricey product - period!